May 2017 Moms

Randoms and Questions (10/24-10/30)

Re: Randoms and Questions (10/24-10/30)

• @Kipperoo : My advice on the Friendsgiving thing: Do one main protein (say, turkey) and two or three sides, and dessert. Keep it simple! It doesn't need to be some over-thought-out feast. Why not try potluck? Have someone bring a veg, someone bring rolls, someone bring a pie, cranberry sauce, another veg, etc., and there will be an abundance of food before you can even blink. And seriously, since it's friends and more laid back (my assumption!), if you provide some food, some music, and some drink, people will make their own fun! Try not to stress too much   :)  

And, I know this sounds lame, but prep work is key: Boil and mash the potatoes the day before, assemble the casseroles so they only have to be thrown in the oven and baked off, and do all the desserts/fruits/salads ahead of time, seriously, like a day or two in advance. Re-heating can be your friend. You can make it work!
  • vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited October 2016
    @MamaMiller -Yes! First tri sex is amazing. I normally just need to get past feeling gross and tired, which sometimes is hard to do, but it is good and that usually motivates me. I read it has to do with the increased blood flow down there.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Loading the player...
  • SKZW , thanks for the vote of confidence and the tips!! I think you are 100% right on the prep work--I think that will make or break this whole thing. I'm making the husband do a lot of the actual cooking. It can't be a pot luck in the traditional sense, because they are all flying in from out of town and staying with us (also adding to the stress...6 house guests), but the guests are great kitchen helpers, so I'm sure it won't be as bad as I'm expecting. I think I'll take your advice, though, and off load the menu selections (in pot luck fashion) to the various attendees! Then I just need to worry about picking up all of the ingredients! Oh and alcohol will cover all sins of the party...you are definitely right on that. ;-) 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Kipperoo sometimes it really stinks to be the only who doesn't get to drink.  However, there are other times when it can provide a great amount of entertainment and some great blackmail worthy info.
    EDD: 06/25/2006  M/C: 11/03/2005
    EDD: 04/08/2012  M/C: 09/03/2011
    EDD: 12/27/2012  Born Sleeping: 07/19/2012
    EDD: 12/07/2013  M/C 05/30/2013 & 05/31/2013
    EDD:  07/01/2016 Born sleeping: 03/02/2016

• Yes! I love putting houseguests to work! Great idea. Often they're looking to help out anyway. And if you farm out some tasks, they can make a fun food run out of it too, and you can have some quiet home time for an hour or two. Some grocery stores are even open really late Weds or early on Turkey Day itself. And the hubbs as helper, yes! Another really great idea.
    LOL @ alcohol & sins
  • @MamaMiller Fast deliveries is a concern for me
    as well, but I haven't had a chance to discuss it with my Doctor yet. Interesting that yours said they would probably induce you because of it, I never even thought about that. 
    I never remember any contractions with DD1 or DD2 until I was in full labor, and then it was quick! DD1 was 8 hours start to finish and DD2 was 4 hours. Thankfully I live about 5 mins from the hospital, but it's still nerve racking to think about especiallly since I have two other little ones to worry about where they will be during labor/delivery! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • JonesBaby0624, that really is great perspective! And, since it's my house, I can go to bed whenever I want and know that the guests can entertain each other (because we've all been friends for like 10 years!) 
  • h&pmomma said:
    @MamaMiller Fast deliveries is a concern for me
    as well, [...] Thankfully I live about 5 mins from the hospital, but it's still nerve racking to think about especiallly since I have two other little ones to worry about where they will be during labor/delivery! 
    Me too. That's a major concern. I'm trying to get some sort of plan in place to have someone (at a moment's notice) be able to look after my little guy while I'm on my way doing my own thing during delivery. We live really far from family and friends and I've been secretly contemplating which of my neighbors might be the most trustworthy/reliable/least likely to have a hissy-fit if they're awoken in 3 am.   ;)
  • @CarmCeG I read the article you attached.  Since it's not UO Thursday I will keep my opinions to myself.

That's fine, I haven't formed much of an opinion about it myself. I'm a first time mom and I found it interesting.

@auro_c I'm also a first time mom, I just found it interesting & thought I'd share to talk to someone about it :)

I don't have a pregnant buddy, but I like that we can talk to each other here.

@MTB16 As of today, I've drank about half of the bottle of water -____-

I will definitely keep trying. o:)

23 y/o;
    First time mommy <3 [05/06/17]

90% of the way there :D

Pregnancy Ticker

• @RainyDays86 I felt the same way and now I'm in my last week! I remember finding out I was pregnant, that seems like so long ago lol

23 y/o;
    First time mommy <3 [05/06/17]

90% of the way there :D

Pregnancy Ticker

• @RainyDays86 I'm legit in the same boat as you (same EDD). So I really feel your pain
  • @pshaortao the idea of my house delivering is absolutely terrifying! I will keep my legs closed until I get there if that is the case  :D
  • @nda_roxybabe I've been having this issue at almost every meal. I will be sooo hungry and after eating, feel miserably full, even if it wasn't that much food. I experienced this with my first pregnancy as well. In the third trimester, it would happen and I would usually end up vomiting.  :s
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Luckyu317 did you laugh in his face? Her face?  If it's a man I would have laughed at him.  A female doc could at least understand your pain.

Is anyone just suffer from unreal heartburn?  My morning sickness has gone away in the last two days and...holy hell...the heartburn.

• I had the whole drinking water issue from weeks 8-11 and now finally I can drink all the water I want without feeling sick! I love water and it's all I drink so I'm very happy to be able to drink a lot again! To all the ladies having issues drinking water I hope it passes soon!  :)  

#1 DD Aug 2014 @39weeks via CS

#2 Due May 2,2017 hopeful VBAC

• Holy crap. Why? What, do you live in the Sahara Desert or something?! I go by the 1/2 your body weight in oz rule. 
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I'm due at the end of the month too so I can definitely relate to wanting to be through the first tri already! I've had this awful toothache for about a week and after a trip to the dentist found out I need a root canal... Which they won't do until I'm out of the first trimester.  I'm counting down the days!
  • @Amybee5 - My belly definitely popped by 12 weeks but I'm a STM and have 2 babies inside... Not to freak you out. ;) I probably had a little bump around 14 weeks and a noticeable bump by 16 weeks last time (when I still had quasi-abs). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have the same due date and want to be able to see everything they are seeing at ultrasounds. 
  • Not to be AWish but I'm really sorry for all you ladies hating water right now...It has always been my favorite drink. In fact we went out to dinner last night and I drank 3 glasses of water in the hour we were there. I think the waitress resented me for it...oops. I do have a couple tricks though to help me drink more water, I make sure it's really cold (a ton of ice) and drink it through a straw. It makes it go down much quicker that way. Hope those tricks help someone! 

My random question this week pertains to home fetal dopplers...I know a week or so ago a few ladies mentioned they had the Sonoline B, but how often are you using those at home!? MH thinks I'm crazy and worrying myself just because I want one. I feel like I just need some piece of mind. Any other good arguments to getting one for at home?!

As always, I hope you ladies all have a wonderful week! :smile: thanks for keeping me sane!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @nursek2016 not only is the Doppler good for peace of mind.. its also fun and exciting..especially if its your first. I used to listen to my DS all the time.. my DH was over it after a couple times but I wasn't. Also when I had anyone pregnant come over to my house they wanted to use it. So after your done with it I'm sure someone you know will take it off your hands. My DH also thought buying one was a waste of money but I just bought it anyway lol.
  • L1C4galL1C4gal member
    edited October 2016
    @NurseK2016 I decided to get a home doppler for peace of mind. I was a bit worried after reading about some of the risks (even though my OB didn't mention this), but I only plan on using it every once in a while--maybe once a week if I can control myself! I also really wanted it because I'll be traveling out of the country for two weeks next month, and I know that I'll worry when I'm away from my OB and the trusty nurse line. I'm prone to anxiety, and I think my OB realized that because he recommended getting a home doppler without me even asking about it (at the same time as he was answering all of my other questions with a causal "you don't need to worry about that," "no, that's not going to hurt the baby," "you'll be fine," "no, you don't have Zika," etc., haha).

I think H thought I was crazy too when I ordered it, but I only asked afterwards because there was no way I wasn't getting it ;) For the record, it came in the mail yesterday and H loved hearing the HB with me when we tried it out for the first time! As @lrwardrop said, it really is fun. I got the "Womb Music Heartbeat Monitor" for ~$55 and it seems to work well (and gets great reviews on Amazon), but I don't have any experiences with the others--I'm sure they're great too! To me, peace of mind + fun was worth the investment, and H eventually got on board. Good luck and have fun! :)

(Edited to fix tag)

• @NurseK2016 - I have a Sonoline B, and it's amazing! I found the HB on Sunday at 9w2d! Definitely way earlier than I expected. I used the Angel Sounds one with my son, but this one is much better. I use it max a couple of times per week until I can feel movement. 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• So I had a mini-panic attack this morning at about 3:00. After getting up to pee (again), my brain decided it was a good time to think about what we're going to do with DS when I go into labor. My family (who would definitely be my first choice to stay with him) lives across the country, and our closest family is an hour away! I went through all of the scenarios and things that could go wrong and thoroughly freaked myself out. I'm sure we'll figure something out, there is just so much more to think about this time around, having a little person to think of!
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• kayemjay2, I have exactly the same fears! My family lives on the other side of the country. It seems like such a logistical nightmare...I've been working on a plan, too...I'm hoping we can plan for my mom to be here, but will likely have a couple of friends on call. It's so much harder with a little one to factor in!
  • @kayemjay2 I do the same thing and end up worrying myself about things that are far off. I have a 3 year-old and twins on the way and have already felt the need to make a plan of what she will do during my hospital stay. I want her to be able to stay at our house during that time and keep her normal routine, since bringing twins into the mix is going to be a major transition for her, but I know other family members are going to expect her to come stay with them at their house. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just already know it's not what I want. I find myself obsessing over little things like that and end up not able to sleep.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KMD1106KMD1106 member
    edited October 2016
    NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I'm sorry that happened, and I'm glad your DD is ok. Your post reminded me that I remember seeing some pills in my low bathroom drawer this morning. I'll be moving those as soon as I get home!
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Random: I'm getting excited/nervous to pull out my box of maternity clothes. (I'm trying to hold out for a few more weeks.) I don't really remember what I have, so it'll be like shopping! I'm nervous though, because I'm heavier to start out with than I was with DD. I hope the stuff fits! 

BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• NBR Random- This family went missing around here and was found completely ok. I just keep thinking about it...What were they doing? Why did they disappear? Were the kids harmed? 

https://m.startribune.com/missing-lakeville-family-found-in-south-minneapolis/398321281/

BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• I've been so absent this week so here's to trying to get back in the mix.  I graduated from my RE on Thursday (yay!!) but the twins have been killing me here lately.  We are fixing to hit the terrible twos and I am a little terrified that they are going to be awful.  

Oh oh and I gave my home Doppler away to a family member a couple days before I found out about this pregnancy so I guess I need to buy a new one  :s

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @KMD1106 : Relatedly disturbing:
    https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/25/us/nj-father-children-jumper/index.html
    How bad of a day does a person have to be having to decide to go jump off a bridge and take his 2 kids with him?!
  • @SKZW, I saw that! There are some seriously messed up people in this world. 

BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• @KMD1106 @SKZW
    I work for county mental health clinic and it's pretty awful some of the stories I've heard and have to help people work through. I previously had a job in foster care and only lasted 5 months because of how awful it was. 
  • @Jenshoes YAY!  Isn't that a great feeling?  I am a couple pounds lighter(thank you morning sickness) but can't button my pants.  So, @KMD1106 I will be pulling that maternity box out soon as well.  I'm wondering how in the world I popped that much at freaking 10 weeks.