April 2014 Moms
Options

Which spelling is cuter?!

Re: Which spelling is cuter?!

• Options

A name should SOUND cute, but be SPELLED practically so that people can understand. I don't understand "cute spellings". They just cause problems for the child their whole life.

Lol i see im learning that now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Despite the fact that it is dubbed tacky around these parts, unique names with unique spelling is common in certain cultures.
  • Options

Take it from me... I have a name that is different and spelled different. I only know a handful of people with my name and mine is spelled different then all of them. With that said, growing up it sucked because my name was ALWAYS mispronounced, I could never find a lisence plate or pencil or stickers with my name on it and I would be upset about it. In Jr. High I tried to change my name with my friends to a shortened version (nickname) because I couldnt stand my name being mispronounced....

Take into consideration when you are naming your little one what it will be like when their name is called when they are being announced at their sports games, or how it will be during roll call in school, how will it look on a resume, or even with Dr. in front of it. ;-)

I personally like Caydrian as it is pronounced the way it looks. And Aleesia is nice as well. Your little one wont find stickers with their names on it but at least it will be pronounced correctly. Just my opinion..

Our World!!

Blaine Emerson                  Bailey Rae

3-31-14                               6-10-11

image image
  • Options
    I read Aleysia as Ah-lay-zjah ... I would also read Alicia as Ah-lee-shah. I think your pronunciation is beautiful, but I think a different spelling might work better?

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options
    rlmanning said:
    aronie82 said:

rlmanning said:

I personally like Caydrian as it is pronounced the way it looks. And Aleesia is nice as well. Your little one wont find stickers with their names on it but at least it will be pronounced correctly. Just my opinion..

Meh, I still don't think it will be pronounced correctly. And they'll never be spelled correctly. 

I never got caring about whether your name was on a pencil or sticker, seems completely ridiculous and my name was never on them. 
    Ahh! What?!?! I cared!  I was always jealous of my friends that had cute personalized things.  And I would stupidly always check the key chains until I was about 12 years old I would always get disappointed.
    @aronie82 I did too. I mean not now as an adult but as a child I ALWAYS checked and it was never there. Bummed me out. :)
    I still check the keychains.  I've never once found my name.  I have a running bet with most of my friends that if they ever find one with my name on it (and spelled correctly), then I'll take them out to dinner.  It's never happened.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    snmetz7snmetz7 member
    edited October 2013
    My name is Sara (SAH-RAH) not (SEH-RAH)-the traditional pronunciation so my mother thought it would be a good idea to name me Sarra so that people would say it correctly.

It DIDN'T work. People are going to pronounce it any which way they feel is most comfortable. So after 17 years of being called "seh-rah" with a lame "rr" spelling that I couldn't find on keychains or pencils I legally changed my name to Sara and still pronounce it "sah-rah"

so what I guess I'm saying is to little girls pencils matter, constantly correcting people on the pronunciation of your weird ass spelled name is SO annoying, and "cutsie" spellings are overrated.

OP take that as  you will.

ETA-hit post too quick
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Sorry but I hate made up names. Why do people think they can throw a bunch of letters together and call it a name? In addition to the fact I doubt your 30 year old will thank you for spelling her made up name in a cute way.

Nope, in 30 years she'll be posting on the April '44 board saying, "I'm keeping w/ a traditional name like Mary, my parents gave me a name no one could ever pronounce or spell, I hated it!"

Mary is a traditional name? I thought it was a Christian biblical name.
  • Options
    This is literally me. My name is Kyllashandra, pronounced kill-uh-saundra.. an eyesore to look at but even worse when people say it out loud. Substitute teachers were a nightmare. They would all just kinda stare at the paper and look confused and I had to speak up and say "You're probably at my name. I'm here by the way." It's awful.
    ------------------------------------- ^in case my mobile quoting failed. I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing. And that's only because there's a town in Ireland named Killeshandra that my grandfather was born in. Total random coincidence. Yea. I have no nice words for the OP so I'm not commenting on that. 0_o
    Oh geez lol is it pronounced the same?? My parents got it from an Anne McCaffrey book which isn't any better of a resource and then changed the i to a y because they didn't want the actual word "kill" in my name. So dumb since its still said that way..

• Options
    Kyllarae said:
    Sorry but I hate made up names. Why do people think they can throw a bunch of letters together and call it a name? In addition to the fact I doubt your 30 year old will thank you for spelling her made up name in a cute way.
    Nope, in 30 years she'll be posting on the April '44 board saying, "I'm keeping w/ a traditional name like Mary, my parents gave me a name no one could ever pronounce or spell, I hated it!"
    This is literally me. My name is Kyllashandra, pronounced kill-uh-saundra.. an eyesore to look at but even worse when people say it out loud. Substitute teachers were a nightmare. They would all just kinda stare at the paper and look confused and I had to speak up and say "You're probably at my name. I'm here by the way." It's awful.
    Awww, that is a mouthful. Do you go by a nickname?
  • Options
    edoliesmomedoliesmom member
    edited October 2013
    Stace0616 said:
    I'm an English major and if I saw "Aleysia" I would probably pronounce it ah-lay-shuh. Maybe it's just me? I like Cadrienne--looks very girly and almost French.
    I definitely pronounced the "ley" part as lay, but to me it seems more like "Uh-lay-zha" like Asia but with lay in the middle of it. I agree with @Sisimama10 about spelling it Aleesia if you're worried about how people will pronounce it. I vote for "Caydrian" only because it's sounds exactly how it's spelled. Cadrienne would be fine too, but you might have a few people pronouncing the a as a short a, as in apple.

Edit: I hate it when I'm late to the game, and OP has already made a decision. Embarrassiiiing. Just ignore this post please. I'm so ashamed. X_X
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Options
    Wait so your NN is pronounced "kill uh"? Like "I'm gunna kill ya." ?!?
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    My mom hates the name cadrienne , she said its too ghetto lol. My whole family has normal named and i like it because its diff and i never heard of it. But hey i still love it!
  • Options

My mom hates the name cadrienne , she said its too ghetto lol. My whole family has normal named and i like it because its diff and i never heard of it. But hey i still love it!

Your mom is a smart lady. Listen to her! It is not a name it is made up junk. Poor kid, hope she is cute or you are setting her up for a lifetime of being made fun of. It is a horrible name.
    Everyone on fb love it except my mom... Its not set in stone just an option
  • Options

Your mom is a smart lady. Listen to her! It is not a name it is made up junk. Poor kid, hope she is cute or you are setting her up for a lifetime of being made fun of. It is a horrible name.
    Everyone on fb love it except my mom... Its not set in stone just an option
    Its not made up junk i saw it on baby names from french origin . Its just very uncommon
  • Options

I hate made up names as well, but weren't all names made up at some pint?? Do you think there were any Cayden, Brayden, Jayden or Aiden's 40 years ago? They had to start somewhere.

Thank you! Exactly lol
  • Options
    I got curious since you said it was french so I went to look it up but..

• Options
    DemoDoll said:

I hate made up names as well, but weren't all names made up at some pint?? Do you think there were any Cayden, Brayden, Jayden or Aiden's 40 years ago? They had to start somewhere.

The only name out of those names that doesn't sound made up is Aiden. There is also Jadon which is a biblical name but the "Jayden, Brayden, Cayden" are all Mayden up.
    That's the point. At one time every name "made up" then people liked it and it became popular.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Kyllarae said:

The original spelling was cadrian thats why you cant find it

• Options
    poru said:
    Kyllarae can we officially adopt you and name you Kyla?  I think you are wonderful and I don't want you to be sad.  Cheesecake all around!
    Yes, please!

• Options
    Kyllarae said:

Kyllarae said:

The original spelling was cadrian thats why you cant find it

Oh

Oops its origin is western russia actually not french
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"