Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

More Proposed Board Changes & Group Discussion

suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
edited August 2018 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Hello Ladies,

This is a list of 5 things as well as a few miscellaneous items at the end, noticed by either myself, long timers, or newbies that I believe are important things to discuss. Hopefully you will not feel exhausted by the time you get to the end. These things have been mentioned either on the board or within the private messaging system. It would be great if we could discuss them and figure out together what we should do about them, or maybe there are some we won't be able to agree on. After we discuss these things and get everyones' input, we could bring each thing to a poll individually. 

1. Proposed change to the TTGP Grad threads: 

-The rules currently stated in the Ultimate Newbie Guide, "Once you get your Big Fat Positive test (BFP), the appropriate place to post is in the weekly Graduation Thread". There are no criteria mentioned.

-The rules currently stated in the weekly grad threads, 
1. Ask your heart if you have contributed positively here.
2. Do these people know you? Will they be happy about your pregnancy? 
3. Have you offered support to others or have you just blasted your own info out there?
4. Really, if you're a 1/1 or a 2/2, maybe just move on. Even if you have participated daily for one month and offered tons of support. Sometimes the silence is kindest. Those of us who lurk BMBs will see your intro and PM/comment/love tit.
5. Again, take a moment and step away from your excitement and ask your heart if posting would be potentially hurtful.

Problem: The rules in the weekly grad threads contradicts the rules in the Ultimate Newbie Guide. The instructions in the weekly threads mention that if you have participated daily for one month and offered tons of support, then sometimes silence is kindest. First, people are getting called out for being here for a few months and posting in the grad threads even though they meet the criteria for 1, 2, and 3. Second, "sometimes" the silence is kindest is too subjective, no offense intended towards anyone. 

Possible solutions:
A. Stick with the original rule as stated in the Ultimate Newbie Guide and change the grad thread language to reflect it. 
B. Change the wording in the weekly grad threads to reflect current board culture. 
C. Create two separate weekly grad threads; one for <6 cycles grads and one for >6 cycles grads

2. Proposed change to Benched/TTA threads:

Problem: There are women who come to TTGP who are waiting to start TTC because they are trying to get used to tracking/learning their bodies, etc.. They want to be a part of the board, but don't feel like they fit in anywhere. There are some members who feel they have no business posting on TTGP period since TTGP stands for Trying To Get Pregnant and instead, that these ladies should be directed to the Babies On The Brain board. They see the Benched/TTA as a thread for women who are benched or TTA for reasons beyond their control. 

Possible Solution: One member has suggested putting in direct language in the Benched/TTA thread on BOTB, including a link to that board as well as a collective move and effort to help make that board more active, or starting a weekly BOTB thread here at TTGP so they feel they have a place to fit in.  

3. Proposed change to WTO/TWW threads:

Ultimate Newbie Guide says, "You do not need a TW for topics such as children, general pregnancy, etc." based on this poll https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12682740/tw-poll-results-posted/p1

TTGP has acquired a TFAS weekly thread.

Problem: It has been brought up that adding the blurb at the top of the WTO/TWW threads was added but never voted on in the past. Some members feel they cannot talk about their children outside of the TFAS thread without being called out and have a very difficult time determining when to use a TW with spoiler/when not to.

Possible Solution: Discuss it and go to poll

4. Proposed change to minimize subjectivism on members starting their own threads:

Ultimate Guide says, "Otherwise, if you have a general question for the whole community, it may be better suited to start a new thread." 

Problem: Many members don't know when it's okay to do this and when it isn't.

Possible Solution: Discuss and go to poll. Then decide on the language that tells members when it is/isn't okay and where to put this. 

5. Proposed change to direct members who got their BFP:

Problem: Many women don't know where to go when they have graduated from TTGP and their BMB isn't opened up for weeks at a time, but they still want to participate.

Possible Solution: Direct them to another active board while they wait. Discuss which one and where to include the link to it on TTGP. 

6. Miscellaneous contradictions/issues to discuss in which I don't have ideas for possible solutions:

A. I've had many newbie members/non IF members come to me to ask advice about IF/long time members so that they can understand our plight/anxiety/frustration better in order to be more respectful. I've also had many come having an issue with what they deem as a lack of gentle/kind redirect on the boards when they don't understand what it's like and make a potentially hurtful statement that they cannot possibly know that it would be hurtful. 

B. Ultimate Newbie Guide contains a link to TB's Welcome New Members that instructs newbies to create their own intro thread, but Ultimate Guide says to do it in the weekly intro threads.

C. Ultimate Newbie Guide says, "Please do not post your BFP in the TWW thread" but If You Could Tell A Newbie Anything Thread (linked within Guide) says that announcing BFPs in the TWW thread is okay. 
People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
IVF
IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
Back on Levothyroxine
FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
1st Beta on 7dpt 93
2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

Re: More Proposed Board Changes &amp; Group Discussion

• Options
    suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited August 2018
    Edit because I thought holly didn't see my edit but I read it wrong. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @suzycupcake, you had my slightly drunk self very confused!  
  • Options
    :D@holly321 It seems we are on the same train lately. I'm on my second glass. All aboard! <3 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• Options
    harrierwifeharrierwife member
    edited August 2018
    Lots of great points brought up in here re: TW, etc., but the only real, full opinion I have worth voicing is about the Grad Thread. 

I think we need to strengthen the wording of the OP. It needs to be made clear that the thread is for contributing members only. That way, if someone that's been here for two weeks jumps in with their BFP its clear(er) that they're the a**hole rather than the subsequently posting members. There is a very specific culture on this board that is misrepresented at times, and I think that thread tends to be our weak spot to an outsider/new lurker. 

Honestly, when I was a brand new lurker, that thread would oftentimes make me cringe. 

EDITED TO ADD: I think that keeping it to contributing members only encourages participation on the board which is always a good thing. 
  • Options
    Personally, I have absolutely no problem with putting TW and spoilers on mentions of  *TW*:
    my kiddo.  

If it helps other folks out here, then I'm all for it.  

Re:  #1:  I think the way it's set up is fine.  As a "newbie" it made total sense to me.  

Re: #5:  Directing to first tri is fine --- they can post a pic of their pee-stick, talk about anxiety, and everything else right there.  

• Options
    @nomangos23 couldn’t agree more! My last cycle was weird for the same reasons, but I felt like I can’t mention it because it’s in the WTO thread. 

To be be honest I haven’t participated as much in the last year when I could because there are so many rules. And I don’t know if and where I belong. 
  • Options
    @dpjennifer nothing but love for you. 
  • Options
    @dpjennifer Exactly...these things get discussed ad nauseum every so often and I don't think any big changes ever result. 

"It's time to try defying gravity."

Me: 38  DH: 38
    Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    12/2016 RE appt; 1/2017 SA & HSG results - all normal
    3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
    8/2017 TTA for personal reasons; 10/2017 NTNP; 12/2017 Re-start TTC
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
    5/2019 Stopping all TTC efforts; living Childfree
  • Options
    I'm super new so defer to the longstanding members and those with particular sensitivities to certain potential triggers. A couple of points to add where I was (and still am) confused about what would be appropriate in certain situations so maybe as we're discussing, these can be added to examples that don't necessarily need to be called out specifically, but could be lumped in with some other examples when considering guidelines.

2. Benched/TTA thread: *TW* child mentioned
    I was benched until DD turned 1 by my OB. About 3 weeks before, I wanted to join as I was getting back into tracking and lurked when TTC previously and found this board very informative. It was technically a medical benching although I feel like those words feel disrespectful to those benched for MCs, cancer, etc. I also hadn't started TTC and then stopped. It looks like I started posting right around the time that the wording was changed (and should now be changed back). I still don't know if I should have been posting and apologize if I contributed to the existing problem on that board by doing so.

3. TWs for LC: *TW* child mentioned

I'm absolutely fine doing TWs and spoiler boxes for mentions but the "extremely pertinent" phrasing is a bit vague to me so after a while, I stopped posting in the dailies as much as I feel awkward mentioning that breastfeeding and my first PP period are why I'm on CD35 in WTO with the way it's currently worded. I like @marebear15's recommendation to remove the "extremely pertinent" wording but see how it can be a slippery slope and want to be sensitive to others.

I also thought the MC *TW* were to be sensitive to others TTCAL in the dailies who maybe didn't want to look in the TTCAL board that day or a specific mention of loss but still want to participate in the dailies.

I don't want you all to think I don't care about #s 1, 4, 5, and 6 but as a newbie, I don't think my input is all that valuable, especially compared to many others who know the board well.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    AlyeenaAlyeena member
    edited August 2018
    @zamora_spin Adding two letter before my post is no trouble at all and I do not have a problem with that if it will spare someone even a bit of pain, so long as I can speak about my child or miscarriage freely after that, with no restrictions like "only if absolutely pertinent to the conversation".

Also, I would never suggest people here move to the IF boards, I have been there and we have a very different way of doing things. BFPs and pregnancy and children and miscarriages are talked about quite freely over there. It is a very different environment and considering the discussion we are having here on that may not be comfortable for many. Edit* Not implying you or anyone would not be welcome, every one is welcome no matter their situation.

35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

• Options
    @KristoKekerooni I must have just missed that crap. I hope you guys smoked their asses out of here. 
  • Options

General kid *TW* for all of this.

Hi, so I’m a new in this year.  I spent the better part of TTGP in 2015 and half of my thoughts are based on this and the other half is based on my kid.  I so loved being part of this group then and had an amazing time on my BMB and really want to find a home here again.  I do get how the board changes, sometimes it is unicorns and sometimes it is strict. 

1.        I do like how now you have a thread for it now and not in the TWW and if I voted I would say A.  I did love how VIP/long term/beloved would make their own post.

2.       I do not feel strongly to be honest.  I can see the case to limit but no to directing them to BOTB, that would like people trying to direct IF talk to Trouble TTC. 

3.       So, on my first time around here I would get a bit stung when I heard others talk about their kids.  Now having a kid I find the board a bit unwelcoming, if this is supposed to be a community it is hard to say to never mention the biggest part of your life.  Now, I can see the need for a TW, I think a TW at the top of the post and what it is for.  If we are supposed to chat about our lives and this is area for it then saying ‘my kid slept like shit last night’ should be ok as long as at the top you put TW kids.  

4.       Right now there is not a too many post problems, on the first page there are multiple posts that haven’t been commented on for almost a week!  So, yes I am for subject “Lets talk about X” posts.

5.       So, after you have spent time on this board you make friends and just because you got your BFP doesn’t mean you want to stop talking to them.  I am for letting people linger a bit as long as no pregnancy talk. 

6.       The board changes cultures, maybe it is time to rewrite it to reflect who is here.  The board has changed and at some point it will change to another culture and they will rewrite.  I would love it if this board was a bit more welcoming to those at the beginning as everyone at some point every single person here was.  

• Options
    jhems776jhems776 member
    edited August 2018
    @lulu1180 I am a rule follower at heart and will do whatever the board chooses.  I'm just trying to add some perspective of why they might be doing it in this general discussion.  I am used to a number of people, not just TTGPers commenting, it was the norm when I joined so I just got used to that, the board was more of a talk about TTGP, not TTGPers only.  I do agree on this is not where they should live forever.