October 2018 Moms
Options

Randoms 5/11

I've been super MIA lately. Sorry gals! Having trouble keeping up. 
DS  12-1-2014
DD 10-29-2016
#3 due 10-13-2018

Re: Randoms 5/11

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank god it’s the weekend... but Z has not left my lap. He’s bit my nipple and head butted me. I’m ready for bed!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @jennybean80 Ugh, same with me! I couldn't get enough before 6 weeks, then after that I can't stand it. I tried to drink some last week and couldn't take more than 2 sips before I had to dump it. I miss coffee so much!!  :s 
  • Options
    I pretty much have a diet coke every day with this pregnancy, but I limit myself to one (as in 1 large one...). I figure it's well within the 200mg limit.
  • Options
    @estellegetty that actually made me lol! Like how is that even close to the same?? I still have my cup of coffee with my breakfast, but it's not a big cu. I'd probably still have one in the afternoon if I felt like it, but haven't been in the mood lately. 

Why does it keep cutting off the last letters off some of the words?! Seriously annoying! Hope you can still read that...
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • Options
    I am usually a coffee addict but actually haven't missed it that much.  The smell of it still grosses me out sometimes.  I have allowed myself iced tea, green tea or other flavored teas at lunch time (all well under 200 mg) and it is sooooo refreshing and can definitely feel the boost.  I live in NM and its already 90 degrees here during the day... going to be a long hot, dry summer... so I need all the iced tea. 
  • Options
    During first trimester, coffee just sounded so unappealing, and it bummed me out - I’m a big coffee drinker. Right as second tri started, I’m all good! One latte a day. 
  • Options
    @britvahok I cut back with Z, but I haven’t stopped with this one. When I really need it, I let myself have an extra cup. 

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• Options
    @britvahok No judgement! I wasn't planning on stopping. I unfortunately just can't stand it right now. I quit coffee until about 6 months with DD, then I just needed it to be able to function at work and went back to drinking it every day.
  • Options
    jynjer4jynjer4 member
    One of the weirdest pregnancy related dreams I’ve had yet! 
    TW*

I dreamt last night I had this baby at 17 weeks and he was a healthy 7.5lb..not sure how that works. 
  • Options
    I had a huge aversion to coffee first trimester. I started trying it again at the beginning of the 2nd, and it was tasting ok. Now it's tasting good, but different than it did prepregnancy.

I normally drank decaf before, so no change in what I do now. Very occasionally I'll have caffeinated or half caff. I get addicted to caffeine easily, so I learned long ago that I have to stay away.
  • Options
    i have also really been craving orange juice lately but it gives me instant heartburn.  lame. 
  • Options
    @jynjer91 the other day I dreamt that I had twin boys at 18 weeks and they were like 5 & 6 lbs each... as far as I’m aware I’m only have one and don’t know the sex yet... so weird!!!
  • Options
    I know this makes me a crazy person, but I hate coffee. And tea. And soda. Its actually been easy for me this pregnancy since I basically only drink water and wine
  • Options
    @tinattt23 My last pregnancy they told me that there have been no studies on artificial sweeteners during pregnancy.  They just don’t know that it’s safe (is it responsible for increased rates of childhood diseases and allergies? Nobody knows).  Caffeine has been studied during pregnancy, so maybe that’s why your dr is ok with coffee but wants you to avoid artificial sweeteners.

I developed a caffeine sensitivity during my first pregnancy and could only drink decaf.  *TW* I decided not to cut it out with my subsequent pregnancies unless I developed the sensitivity again, but after 4 m/cs, I have been doing decaf only this time because despite studies showing it is safe, there is also a chance that it leads to m/cs if you drink too much. I wonder if the sensitivity is still there a bit, just not enough that I have symptoms from 1 or 2 cups (75-150mg because it’s a latte) and that may have been a contributing factor in my m/cs.  *End TW*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Last night DH and I got new phones. I got a Google Pixel 2 and it doesn't have a headphone jack. I told him it didn't worry me because I rarely use headphones. Of course, today I want to listen to the end of my book at work and the piece to convert my charging port to a headphone jack is at home. 
  • Options
    @purplegoldfish2 I think that’s exactly it. We’ve studied the hell out of caffine and know (generally) what’s safe and not. Artificial sweeteners are pretty much a big question mark. May do nothing. Maybe not. 
  • Options
    All I know on the artificial sweeteners front is that either stevia extract or erythritol gives me severe heartburn.  I avoid anything that contains either of them (and I frequently find both together).
  • Options
    Stevia and erythritol aren't artificial, they naturally occurring sweetners that are just zero calories. 
  • Options
    I find both of those sweeteners taste really chemically, for some reason. I don't have a sweet tooth, so maybe that's why.
  • Options
    I normally don’t have a problem with them, but since getting pregnant I can’t stand the taste.

Ace K is another one that isn’t artificial (it’s actually a sweet tasting salt).  
  • Options
    @sammierose464 - regardless- anything that I consume that contains those sweeteners gives me severe heartburn.  Just because something is “natural”, it doesn’t mean it won’t screw with your body.  
  • Options
    @knottieamusements Erythritol is a sugar alcohol.  Sugar alcohols can mess with people’s digestive tracts (usually causing diarrhea, but I’m sure it can do other stuff too).  There’s a good chance that’s the one doing it.
  • Options
    If you find the podcast “science vs.” there is an excellent piece on artificial sweeteners. I love this podcast because they take controversial topics and do an unbiased review of all the scientific research available.
  • Options
    Need to go back and read everything here, but overall lurking (because I’m intimidated just at the thought of trying to catch up on all of the threads here) and the Jan Facebook group thread should get fun soon :)
  • Options
    @knottieamusements I agree, just pointing out they aren't artificial. A lot of people think they are because they are calorie free. As someone mentioned, Erythritol is a sugar alcohol. A lot of people have issues if they consume too much of it. And stevia often takes getting used to flavor wise. I usually use a blend of stevia, eryhritol, and xylitol when cooking sweets. it's a little easier on the body.
  • Options
    I use Truvia but hardly ever use sugar for anything anyway. I’ve never done the research on it so I just minimize my usage of it. 

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• Options
    Also, I’m starting to worry about my anatomy scan on Tuesday. My whole family has shifted their schedules because of it and wanting to hear the sex. My niece, my folks, and my oldest are all involved now. What if baby keeps their legs shut tight? Then I disrupted everyone for nothing!  :#

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• Options
    krzyriver said:
    I use Truvia but hardly ever use sugar for anything anyway. I’ve never done the research on it so I just minimize my usage of it. 
    Truvia is stevia extract and erythritol, no concerns there unless it disagrees with your system.
  • Options
    Stevia is a plant but also in the family of ragweed so some have allergy like reactions to it. It is a naturally sweet plant but can be bitter (normally if too much is used but extraction methods can also cause bitterness). Use stevia when I need sweetness but maybe 2-3 times a month,but yes just because it is from a plant doesn't mean it is safe! 
  • Options
    I use Stevia in my coffee every day and never thought to check its safety for pregnancy! So I googled it and according to pregnancy.org Stevia is considered safe! Saccharin or sweet and low was the only artificial sweetener considered unsafe. All sweeteners in general should be used in moderation though, artificial or not.
  • Options
    estellegettyestellegetty member
    edited May 2018
    I still have one to two cups of coffee a day. My doctor said she’s fine with it...I just usually don’t have that third cup in the afternoon that Inwas so used to having pre-pregnancy bc I hit a major wall at around 3:30-4. 

My work BFF kept giving me so much crap about using Splenda especially once I was pregnant again that he went and bought me agave! I was really skeptical, but now I love it. A teeny tiny bit goes a long way. I even put a little bit in my plain Greek yogurt. He has def converted me! 
  • Options
    I’m actually allergic to most artificial sweeteners, so watch out for that, too! Aspartame especially makes me lose feeling to my fingers and toes and get blackout-level dizzy. I’m with @hellopartyof5 - real sugar or bust! 
  • Options
    slizteesliztee member
    So, I was gonna wait until after my ultrasound to decide if I'd get a blood test for Spina Bifida.

Then I watched an episode of Call the Midwife...and sent my OB a portal message to order my test before my ultrasound this week.

Anxiety is such a nasty bitch!
  • Options
    Most artificial sweeteners, except Aspartame (yuck!) gives me terrible migraines. I'm really struggling with this as a new diabetic. I'm used to having sugar in my coffee and I just can't seem to drink it black.