June 2018 Moms

Randoms • w/o 3/26

Re: Randoms • w/o 3/26

• @LaceyBee522 Yes, you can set your kid up on the IPad. Or vice versa, you can watch Netflix on the Ipad while your kid watches TV. 

• Is it weird that I think it's worse for kids to watch poorly done TV than mature TV? 
  • Loading the player...
  • jsl82jsl82 member
    @momac1919 I agree- cannot wait for wine to make a reappearance in my life (and the mommy mystery mousekatool)
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• rnielsen321rnielsen321 member
    edited March 2018
    Confession - One of our groomsmen is a writer (children's shows mostly), and he gets the most slack for being a writer on Caillou. And not for any other weird children's cartoons with lots of fart jokes, and other borderline appropriate things. 

Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @momac1919 - I was going to say the same thing! There is some way to disable that button, but I haven't figured it out.
  • Me and DH can’t even watch tv in the same room so I def don’t expect him to be able to watch kid shows for hours. We’ll have to figure out a way to make it work from ages 1-3/4. Otherwise we plan on having those “booked” kids, the kind that’s rarely home outside of dinner, bath, book & bedtime. Yup we’re those people, mandatory: lessons in least one other language, lessons in at least one musical instrument, one personal sport or physical activity (ballet, marital arts, tennis, fencing, etc), and one team sport. 
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @LaceyBee522 DD watches "her" shows on the iPad. She also has a thing for the toy unwrapping videos on YouTube. We haven't had any issues with her getting into anything she shouldn't be watching. Lately she's been turning off what she's watching to watch a show with us. We mostly watch Food Network though. She really loves Chopped :lol:

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @rnielsen321 can you please tell him to make some changes to caillou?! I've absolutely heard my kid repeat 'but I donnnt wannnt toooo' is the exact way caillou says it. lol

me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • catlady1215catlady1215 member
    edited March 2018
    anyone else excited for Roseanne coming back tonight?!

• @LaceyBee522 Boo/yay for the 11th floor! Glad you are both happy and excited for the new building :)

@doxiemoxie212 MH thought DS would love to watch him play xbox...it was pretty adorable to watch him play while holding a sleeping baby the first few months. Now I crack up as he runs over and pushes the power button to turn off the xbox when MH in the middle  of something in his game.

At 18 months, DS doesn't really sit still for TV quite yet EXCEPT Moana...it is so weird. I've tried a few PBS shows and other movies on Netflix but he's not interested. I put Moana on and he'll stare at the TV for a good 20 minutes. Perfect for when I need to cook dinner or chill for a few minutes on my phone (ahem, like right now...)
  • @catlady1215 Me, me, me! Do you know what station it'll be on?
  • @catlady1215 Me too! I didn't know it was tonight though :) Glad you posted!

@stephcat421 ABC I believe. I watched a 20/20 special a few weeks back about the original and reboot.
  • My kids were only into Moana for a little while.  Trolls was much longer.  And Frozen... well, that obsession lasted a good 9 months.  I could turn it on and the opening credits would get them running for the couch.  It's magic.  I'm sad we cut cable and turned in the DVR so we no longer have it.  Somehow I never got sick of that movie (and I've gotten sick of a lot of movies/tv)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @stephcat421 yup, abc!

@katelynrae86 oh my dvr has been set! think its an hour tonight.

and I find it crazy cause months ago I was like 'man, that'll be coming back so close to the end of this pregnancy'. and here we are!

• @catlady1215 me! I have it pvr'd since I'm going to dinner with my mum, but I'm stoked. Roseanne as a person, meh. Not a fan of her views but her show = <3! Apparently they are touching on the finale and how "Dan is back" {I thought she'd be one of the few shows that wouldn't get a reboot because of how it wrapped up}

@rnielsen321 I never watched Caillou, why is there such an issue around that show??
  • On mobile - so please excuse my lack of tagging 

DS rarely takes over “our” tv. He has a tv in his playroom that he “watches” while playing in there. During meal times, he is able to watch his shows on his iPad while DH and I watch our shows on the actual tv. 

We we are a PBS family through and through here - so that is what is on 90% of the time. Except Caliou - that ish is never allowed on in my house. If it comes on, DS literally says “oh no! No Caliou! Caliou is NAUGHTY!”  :D

He’s also highly unto Cars - so all three of those movies are on A LOT - I’m sick of cars. He will also watch Moana, but that’s pretty much it. 
  • @MissKittyDanger From what I understand the kid in Caliou (I think he actually is Caliou) is just an a-hole kid. Really rotten and throws tantrums. Caliou and Masha (sp?) the Bear are the two shows my mom friends have warned me about. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @misskittydanger I don't know much about Roseanne as a person. but that show is my favorite. it was always so real. I REALLY hope they didn't change that at all.
    as for caillou. yah he's just bratty and whiney. I can def see how kids would pick that up from him.

• My kids like Masha and the Bear, but yeah, her behavior is not great @LaceyBee522.  But it's more entertaining than Caillou. It's on Netflix if you want to check it out.

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
  • My 2-year-old is very bossy about the TV and can turn Netflix on by himself.

He loves Puffin Rock (me too), Robocar Poli (annoying AF), Spirit (me too), Miffy (gets repetitive but ok) and How to Train Your Dragon (me too). He tolerates some of my shows, like Monkey Life. But if I'm watching something he isn't into, he totally turns off the TV or grabs the remote and tries to browse for something he likes. So rude!

We watch way too much TV, to be honest. I mean, I have always been the Netflix & chill type. It is really hard for me not to turn the TV on for background noise. I think the effect is stronger in the winter when the weather is horrible (we live in a windy, wet, gloomy climate - not usually anything extreme). On sunny days, we spend a lot more time outside. Can't wait for bike rides, swimming, and just hanging out at playgrounds. 
  • We're very Netflix and chill too. The kids almost never sit down and watch a whole movie, so I don't feel so bad about having it on. 
    We don't do caulliou, Daniel Tiger or Masha and the bear. There are a few others we don't do, but more out of they annoy mom vs they're bad examples. 
    I know lots of people love Daniel Tiger but when we started that, DD's behavior plumetted, copying only the bad parts of that show. Once we stopped watching it, she went back to her normal, sweet self. I'm sure it depends on the kid.
  • @=caenis= (can't tag), my kids will also turn on the TV by themselves, so I have to put the remotes away and put my foot down when the TV needs to go off.  I was very anti-TV with DS1, but when he was 16 months old and DS2 was born I had to use the TV to distract DS1 so I could nurse or change a diaper or whatever because he was all over me wanting attention when I needed to be with his baby brother.   So we definitely fell down the TV rabbit hole.  Sometimes it's a matter of survival.  :)

I agree that it's easier to keep off in the summer with nice weather.

First Son - born 2013
  • @catlady1215 - Oh, Caillou has been out of his life for a long time, and really has no say on catch phrases. It is based off a book series, not the other way round...Believe me, he claims no fame to being part of that show. 

As another recommendation for a chill kids flick that is lovely "Very Hungry Caterpillar and other stories" are lovely wind down show, on Netflix

And we too are very much a TV as background noise people. So ya, perhaps too much? 

Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @rnielsen321 - When we feel like the TV has been on too much but we want the background noise we turn on Pandora or something else for the music/noise.

First Son - born 2013
  • @aharv77 I've heard other parents talk about their kids watching the toy unwrapping videos. How do they find them and why are they so popular? I think its so funny...namely picturing a parent buying a toy for a kid to open and recording them doing it then uploading it to YouTube  (I've never seen one so maybe I don't really understand).

@BurlapandLace LOL at "Caillou us naughty!" Smart kiddo! My nephew loved that show and I would get the theme song stuck in my head for days. My goal is to avoid it as much as possible with my kids.
  • @katelynrae86 I actually think most of the toy unwrapping video "stars" get the samples for free from the toy companies and get paid to feature their toys in their videos. DD is obsessed with this lady who calls herself "Cookie Swirl C" and she has MILLIONS of views on these videos. DD came home from her grammy and papa's house one weekend watching the videos. I think it started with a play doh video and it just stemmed from there. LOL.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @aharv77 ds went through the unwrapping toy video thing also! and the blind bags.. and the opening of plastic eggs... ugh! I didn't get it. He's now moved on to Halloween props. yes, Halloween props.
  • We keep the remotes up too, otherwise DS won't leave them alone. 
    Also, DS has this weird thing about hating end credits. Anytime they start, he he grabs the remote and turns off the tv, lol. No idea why, it just makes me laugh. If he can't reach the remote, he covers his ears and points at the tv lol. 
  • Any other fantasy book lovers read Sarah J Maas? I’m just finishing up re-reading the Court of Thorns and Roses series in anticipation of the new one coming out May 1.  B) <— should be nerd glasses

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @2589 yes, yes, yes so much yes on Sarah J Maas!!!  I LOVE both of her series!!  Can't wait for the next ACoTaR book!!
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @sabby2 yay! Next up for me in the meantime is Karen Marie Moning’s newest Fever series book. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love Sarah J. Maas and similar books.  Teen fantasy books are the best.

DS has watched a few of the unwrapping videos but he really loves the trucks / trains / cars and colors / numbers videos.  They are so bizarre.  We've found two Amazon series that are similar (Lucus and Sid (?)), which I prefer, but they are just weird videos.
  • LaceyBee522LaceyBee522 member
    edited March 2018
    @2589 @sabby2 @marcus7676 Love love love Sarah J. Maas. I actually didn't realize there was another in the Court of Thorn and Roses series. I may be mixing it up with a different series, but I thought the last book wrapped things up nicely. If you guys like her, I'd also suggest KF Breene and Amelia Hutchins. They're both good paranormal romance/urban romance writers I really enjoy. They both like an aggressive sex scene, so heads up on that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Speaking of A Court of Thorn and Roses and Sarah J. Maas... I just saw this article the other day.  Here comes a movie!  https://deadline.com/2018/03/constantin-film-preps-young-adult-fantasy-feature-a-court-of-thorns-and-roses-1202352446/ 

First Son - born 2013
  • @mytinc LOVE! Although I think we’ll all be most anxiously awaiting A Court of Mist and Fury!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • True!  I just read the whole series last year @2589.  I haven't read her other series - Throne of Glass.

First Son - born 2013