TTC After a Loss

October WTO

Re: October WTO

• tosh24tosh24 member
    edited October 2017
    @pumpkinpancake I seem to be in the minority, but I way prefer the internet cheapie OPKs. I tried using the Clear Blue digitals a number of years ago and I hated them with a passion. I was always getting errors and the smiley would NEVER blink (they were always solid), but I'd get progressively darkening lines on the ICs until I got a positive OPK (and this lined up with what the RE was seeing because I was being monitored). Not to mention the cost - those digitals are waaaay expensive and I couldn't justify it month after month. And I find the ICs easy to read - if the test line is lighter than the control line, you are not going to ovulate in the next 24-36 hours. If the test line is as dark as or darker than the control line, then you are surging and will likely ovulate (if you don't have O issues or multiple surges prior to O - I have regular cycles and a +OPK for me always means I O).

Edited for clarity.

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• @tosh24 I’m with you! I like being able to see my progression from strip to strip. I feel like it helps me to nail down my O date more accurately, as I keep testing for a couple days after the LH surge shows up to make sure it gets lighter again. And the cost savings is no joke!
  • Loading the player...
  • Next month we will be in Disney. So I don’t even want to deal with any testers!!!! Grrr
  • I guess the neat thing about the Clear Blue (Advanced one, not the regular one) is that it gives you fertility readings based on your own body's hormonal pattern so it's more individualized. Personally, that still doesn't sway me to justify the cost. Although, I guess it may be different for me since I am generally being monitored most cycles with blood work so I actually know what's going on with my body and I just use OPKs to confirm. 

TFAS since 2012

Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!

• I just got my OPK internet cheapies today. I've never used them so I will probably have some questions. Only on CD5 so not ready to test yet, but my period is super light so I'm also excited that's almost done. I ordered clinical guard since they got decent reviews and it's the same brand of pregnancy test strips I have been using so I'm already used to them. 
  • tosh24 I've looked at the Wondfos about a dozen times and thought about trying them but have been too nervous that I'd missread it. Not that looking at the sticks is rocket science, but I didn't want to have to keep them taped to a piece of paper the whole month either to be able to constantly compare. Although, after this mornings goof with forgetting to eject the strip I'm wondering if I should go buy a few cheapies to go along with the CBA just to make sure it doesn't read it wrong and I miss it. BSC people, BSC.
  • @ELeighMay I don't keep all my OPKs to compare. I mean, you can to start so that it helps you learn how to read them, but I don't. If the line isn't as dark as or darker, I toss it and mark it as -ve in my app and keep using them until I see a +ve. Pretty simple :) 

TFAS since 2012

• @ELeighMay I was thinking the same thing but no time for me to get cheapies for this month! Hopefully I get typical results.  :D
  • @sprkls8506 I re use my testers too but they eventually go bad.  I usually start with the circle then flashing smiley to solid smiley. I've gotten the errors twice with testers and just threw them out cuz they were old 
  • @Mack2342 I threw out the tester too. From now on I guess I’ll just start with a new one each cycle since they don’t sell just sticks!!!!
  • @sprkls8506 I always keep one extra so when I get that solid smiley I can test again the next day but try to always use the newest one 
  • I'm the winner my neighbor had about 8 dollar opks she gave me today. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So I totally think my body is on the schedule of if I hadn’t taken the progesterone. So today would have been O day. Instead of early next week. I had a feeling that would happen and thankfully did plenty of BD. Seriously tho. The overthinking everything is crazy!!! So will def BD another nite or 2. BSC. 
  • I think my surge is happening a bit earlier this month.  I noticed some EWCM this morning so went ahead and decided to start OPKs today.  The line is still not quite as dark but there and more visible than it was on this day last month.  Currently CD 13.
  • @robyn2201 I'm sorry for the BFN, but you may be too early. I didn't get a BFP until 14dpo and it was even a BFN the day before.

AFM, AF has been REALLY strange. Spotting for the last 5 days and finally more of a regular flo today but still bizarrely light. This is my first AF since our loss, so maybe my body is still out of whack? I just want to get back to normal so we can try again in earnest.
  • Ok, I'm an idiot and posted a reply to @robyn2201 on the wrong board. Just pretend I'm not here.
  • anyone on the bd train?  We started last night.  we came home after our pottery class date night and dinner to find the power was out because of a storm.  Luckily I had my house keys on me.  So we ended up lighting all the candles in the room and it was rather romantic I have to say.
  • Wow @vlagrl29 that's super romantic  ;) seriously BD during fertile window is so much more fun when there is something exciting like this. I'm glad you had a great date night! 

Our BD train is finally slowing down! I'm officially in TWW. While BD has been exhausting it's been surprisingly a lot of fun this month with your wedding anniversary and travels- maybe we'll even have some fun during TWW..... maybe. 

• @vlagrl29 ohhhh, that sounds nice!
    We hopped on the BD train lady night and are ED for the next couple.  Flashing smiley today so hopefully we catch it. 
  • @vlagrl29 Very romantic! Something similar happened to us last month and it was awesome. The whole neighborhood had a power outage, and someone on our neighborhood facebook page posted that there will be many babies born 9 months from then lol. 

CD 7 for me today, so no official BD train yet, but I think I'll start trying out my new OPK cheapies starting tomorrow. I'm curious how my cycle will be this month, because it definitely hasn't been regular post loss yet. 
  • @cassafrass15 All my 3 AFs post dnc were super light. I was very worried that I had uterine adhesions and went for ultrasound at cd12 and my lining looked fine, so my OB concluded it is my new normal now. Many ladies here had their AF patterns changed after loss, but I think it's nothing to worry about unless AF doesn't come back at all or it's very painful.
  • @aga31 Thank you for the info! That's good to hear. I was so confused because my lining looked great when I had an US last week but then I've hardly had any flow..hoping this is my new normal! And congrats again!
  • Luring from the bench
    @fishee333 I just recently ordered clinical guard too! They were cheaper than the last brand I was using and had pretty good reviews. I tracked both last month and got a glaring positive so they definitely have worked for me. Feel free to reach out with any questions :) 
  • Pretty sure I'm surging today.  The test line on the OPK was darker and I had a TON TMI of EWCM just pouring out of me today.  Am I the only one that finds that really satisfying? 
  • lurker
    @vlagrl29 YES! I am so proud of my CM during O haha! 
  • O day today, but going to drag it out a few days in the event my body is lying to my OPK and it doesn't actually do what it's supposed to do today.

@aga31 So excited for your BFP, we'll miss you.

• @ELeighMay Ohh thank you! I will be lurking here, since I am a realistic person and I don't know how long I will stay pg. I will wait until we get genetic tests done in few weeks to get really excited and move on with my life. For now I am really happy to be a TTCAL lurker :)
  • aga31 Like everyone says, you're PG TODAY. Enjoy it, and I hope you get a sticky bean and a very very boring 9 months to go with it.
  • @msstephanielynn - It is pretty satisfying but then I remind myself I've had this much CM before with no bfp so keep it real.  It's much more plentiful than it was last cycle.
  • @msstephanielynn Oh cool!
    Only on CD 8 but I tested (my OPK) and the line was like a medium.. maybe 50% of the control line. Got me excited lol. Not sure how fast it will get darker, and I'm sure everyone is different, but I think the BD train will be starting now. Don't want to miss this opportunity! I'll test again tomorrow morning. I just really hope O doesn't happen when I'm out of town the weekend of the 28th. 
  • vlagrl29vlagrl29 member
    edited October 2017
    Very forced tonight on dhs half. He wasn't really in the mood so it took much more extra effort. Couple times I told him we didn't have to. I actually said we only have a couple more months and then  I'll throw in the towel. I'm just trying to keep up with the EOD echedule. He talked to me tonight about doing every 3 days. He thinks it would build up the sperm more. 
  • @fishee333 Mine stay about 50% from about day 10-18 and then I get two really dark days (O). Good luck this cycle :) 
  • vlagrl29 My DH wasn't into it either. No BD last night, so I'm hoping that the day before that was enough to catch it. 
  • Must have been something in the air!!! I’m with you ladies! Honestly I wasn’t feeling it either!!! 
  • ugh I know I would have said yeah lets wait until tomorrow but I had all that fertile CM yesterday I thought it'd be a shame to waste it.  I told DH we're getting too old for this lol.  Life is busy and just so much different than when we were first married.  I told him we could do every 3rd day but if I ever did clomid it would have to be eod as the doctor said.  I said if I'm messing with my hormones it's gotta be eod to make it worth it.  but i said we'd cross that bridge when we get there.
  • It normally would've been no big deal for us, but I really try to ED once I get the solid smile just to cover our bases for a day or two. DH has such a low count that we need to add as many swimmers as possible to help the odds. I don't fault him for not being into it, but we're trying to achieve a goal here. Can't get that done without both players in the game. That's a bit frustrating sometimes.
  • Im not in FW yet, but I feel you guys on keeping up with EOD. It’s tough. 

I just bought my first pack of OPKs, so I’m ready when they get here tomorrow! I just got cheap ones on amazon from the same brand of the cheap hpt I get, so I’ll have the lines to compare rather than the digital. Hopefully it’s not too confusing haha. 

What do you guys find is best for timing of doing the OPKs? 
  • pumpkinpancake Good luck! My first cycle after the mc I started using my OPK's earlier and planned on using them longer into my cycle just to figure out when I'd O. I got SUPER lucky and got my smiley face on the same day as I would've before my cycle. I did this cycle as well, but I still used them with the same idea in mind that I might need more tests just to be sure I was able to catch it.
  • @pumpkinpancake -  I find doing them first thing in the morning is most convenient to me.  I just use the cheap ones at the dollar store.  This month I've had more darker lines than last so I'm finding that interesting but have no idea what it means.  I've been keeping them and comparing.  I'll probably test for 2 more days.

Thinking about it I don't mind every 3 days because sperm is supposed to live 3-5 days so they should still be alive from last time.  it is what it is.  guess I'll just have to give DH a heads up that it's on the morning that it should be.  oh scheduling this can be monotonous.
  • vlagrl29vlagrl29 member
    edited October 2017
    I was talking to a couple girl scout moms tonight and 1 had had 3 twin pregnancies in the past.  The first 2 she lost.  The 3rd one she lost 1.  So they have only 1 child and won't try again because I'm pretty sure she is high risk in that area.  Anyways talking to her I found out she had tried clomid once with an OB without any issues.  Then another mom piped in and said she did as well with her 2nd.  Anyways in a way it made me feel better if that's where we are at in January I think I'd be ok trying it.