November 2017 Moms

Baby Registry

Re: Baby Registry

• This seems so bizzare....registering for baby items. I must come from a different culture or background....different country definitely. Here even wedding registries seem tacky. A baby registry just seems beyond the pale. 

I think if someone wanted to buy me a gift that i knew was a big ticket item i would politely decline. I dunno..... seems so odd.

Or am I just old fashioned?
    Extremely commonplace in American culture.  Tacky to blast your registry out to everyone you know, but it's helpful to register so that if people ask for it, you can provide it, and they'll know exactly what you still need.

I feel like it would be rude to decline a gift that someone wanted to buy, no? 
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • @DuchessOfCambridge - I love pretty much all of their stuff, so this is a hard question! The Dream blankets are thicker, soft, and pretty big. They work well as a blanket to lay on the floor to put the baby on or as a blanket for a toddler. The Classic Swaddle are what I have a bunch of and use for everything from swaddling, to keeping sun out of the stroller, to laying in the grass. I've never used any of the silky soft ones, so have no idea about those.
    The silky soft is a muslin-bamboo blend that's even softer than their regular muslin swaddles.  It's glorious feeling.

[spoiler]

• @pawcall Glorious feeling? I may have to add some to my already large A&A stash!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I'm too cheap to pony up full price but seeing them at homegoods, I couldn't resist.

[spoiler]

• pawcall said:
    This seems so bizzare....registering for baby items. I must come from a different culture or background....different country definitely. Here even wedding registries seem tacky. A baby registry just seems beyond the pale. 

I think if someone wanted to buy me a gift that i knew was a big ticket item i would politely decline. I dunno..... seems so odd.

Or am I just old fashioned?
    Extremely commonplace in American culture.  Tacky to blast your registry out to everyone you know, but it's helpful to register so that if people ask for it, you can provide it, and they'll know exactly what you still need.

I feel like it would be rude to decline a gift that someone wanted to buy, no? 
    Just a different culture. And I can see some advantages of having one. I did a bit of investigating..... some baby stores here do wishlist so parents don't forget to buy certain things but its not something that you can send to others. I'm sure it'll catch on eventually. These things usually do. 
  • mispanda said:
    Everyone had some really great advice!   There is one thing I want to mention.  Diapers are great as a registry item but note that some babies have sensitivities to certain diapers.  Just keep the boxes unopened with the receipts.  If you have 10 boxes of Huggies and your LO gets a rash while wearing them you certainly don't want to be stuck with them.  I always just made sure I had one box of NB and 1's (You wont' know your child's size, yes some babies go right into 1's).   You might even hate a certain brand of diaper and wipes.  Honestly you won't know until you start using them.  
    Yes, very good advice. I can't STAND pampers wipes but had no way of knowing this before trying to use them on a tiny little bottom. Absolutely LOVE huggies wipes - but some people are the total opposite. 

Diapers seem to depend on your baby's build. Huggies and Pampers just fit differently. So keep those boxes unopened, a quick exchange trip to target/Walmart/wherever can save you some headaches for sure! 

[spoiler]

• @BumpCaitlin @BumpAdmin @BumpTara can this please be stickied?
    @kschref I hope it's ok I asked them again ;)

• @Asivec  I haven't purchased diapers from a store yet.  Amazon Prime FTW!
  • Another Amazon Prime for diapers and wipes mama here!

• My absolute necessities are:

1) rock and play
    2) a good sound machine
    3) video monitor (when baby starts sleeping in her own room, it's so much easier to tell if you need to go in there or not if you can check the video.  With my girls if I go in it's game over so it's nice to be able to see if they actually need me!)
    4) a ton of the A&A swaddle blankets (like others have said... great for swaddling, burp clothes, car seat cover, nursing cover if you want to be covered, etc.)
    5) 10-15 onesies because for the first few weeks they basically live in those and tend to spit up or poosplode a lot ;-)
    6) an infant carseat that clicks into the car and clicks into a stroller.  My babies lasted barely 6 months in theirs but it was soooo worth it in the early days! 
    7) Stroller- get one that is super easy to set up and collapse (ideally with one hand).  It's worth the extra money if necessary.  Struggling with a stroller is the worst!  I have the City Select (which we bought a second seat for once we had baby #2) and City Mini and loooooove both! 

I think I wasted money on:

1) a carrier before baby was born because she didn't like it.  I wish I would have waited and went to try them out somewhere (my plan this time)
    2) a fancy kate spade diaper bag that was pretty but turned out to be impractical 
    3) a swing (neither of my girls liked it... may be worth seeing if you can borrow one from someone first)
    4) baby clothes- like others have said tons of other people will give you baby clothes, and hopefully some of them will have good taste.  ;-).  Also, getting baby clothes at consignment sales is great!  So much cheaper and they barely wear them a few times before they grow out of them anyway!

• @TallMomma29 completely justified.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Do it, @TallMomma29!! It'll make me feel less bad when I also buy some cute new ones!

• Something to note about returns: Walmart will give you cash for a return without a receipt. (Target will be weird about it.) I got some duplicate outfits and stuff from baby showers and took it to Walmart and said, "I got these as gifts. I don't have a receipt or even know what store they came from." They had no problem with that and gave me full price cash for everything. 
  • For those who have used nursing covers: any recommendations? The shawls look nice and covering moreso than the ones that just go around your neck with a strap.

(More power to all the moms who nurse without covers, it's just not something I personally am comfortable doing)

• I used the kind that goes around the neck and has a structured neckline so you can see what's happening. 

Many son refused to eat covered but I did use it when pumping in the car. 

[spoiler]

• 2Dash2Dash member
    @DuchessOfCambridge -you may find nursing covers not really worth it.  I had one - it never really got used.  Like you I'm not comfortable BF uncovered.  I always had a knit blanket with me so sometimes I would wrap baby and save some to cover where I needed it.  I also have this awesome sweater from Roots (maybe just in Canada??) and it's not maternity but the front is long and I found I could wrap baby/myself really well.  Babies have this wonderful thing where your nakedness doesn't concern them in the least.  Both my DS's were distracted BFers and if there was a noise they would crane there heads back, expose my breast, and milk would be flying everywhere...lol..seriously.  I took to going somewhere quiet - more privacy for me and less distraction for them - I found dim lighting helped them too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes to a noise machine! I got a homemedics one on amazing for $19. I have one in each kid's room now.

For nursing covers: I have the structured one that goes around your neck and I also have an infinity scarf/shawl type that I really like. I also used the A&A swaddles like @kissthesky32 said. They're so multifunctional!
  • @DuchessOfCambridge with my first, I wasn't convinced breastfeeding was for me, so I didn't want to put a lot of money into it and I just tied two ends of a large light receiving blanket behind my neck and it worked well. With my second, I sprung for one with a structured top ring so I could see the baby and I felt it was more breathable for him. With my third, I was finally comfortable to nurse without a cover, though I did keep one handy at places like our church, where I wanted a little coverage. If I were to buy one now, I love the ones they make that are essentially infinity scarves that unwrap into nursing covers! So cool and convenient and pretty!!
  • Curious if anyone has experience with the dockatot? The reviews make it seem like pure gold, and I've had 3 babies who didn't SSTN til after a year, so I'll try just about anything!

Also curious about a swing vs 4Moms Mamaroo. We don't have a swing anymore, so I'm planning on buying one or the other. 

(We live in a big city, so it's easy to find the above on BST sites used for about $100 or less, and I'd plan on reselling them afterward to recoup some of that cost
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @MississippiCatfish I'm thinking of getting a Dockatot but probably only if I can find one used. The only thing about that is I'm not sure if buying a used dockatot is the same as buying a used crib mattress, which you're not supposed to do. They're so new though that if you find one used it's not like it's 5 years old. 
    Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• edited March 2017
    slaven said:
    @MississippiCatfish I'm thinking of getting a Dockatot but probably only if I can find one used. The only thing about that is I'm not sure if buying a used dockatot is the same as buying a used crib mattress, which you're not supposed to do. They're so new though that if you find one used it's not like it's 5 years old. 
    Right.  I'm sure that it's frowned upon in some ways, but the Dockatot is 100% machine washable, so that is enough reassurance for me, personally!

ETA:  There was one posted on Craigslist yesterday in Minneapolis/St Paul for $100, only used for 3 months, but the seller said that they had cats (who weren't allowed in baby's room).  I'm just too nervous about that situation, not knowing the seller!  Anyway, $100 seems to be about the going rate.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @MississippiCatfish   Several gals in my Dec 15 group swear by the Dockatot.  Many of them still use it.

The mamaroo was my most wanted registry item with DS.  We used it religiously for the 1st month.  He hung out in it all the time.  After that my little one preferred an actual swing.  We still use the mamaroo in his room as an expensive noise machine.  If you can find a mamaroo used I think it's worth the money.  Looking back, I probably wouldn't have paid $250 for it.  I would have just gone for a swing.  But every kid is different so who knows?
  • Bump!
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• kalenpkalenp member
    edited April 2017
    My must haves for a registry: 

- arms reach co-sleeper--- a 100% must for easy breastfeeding at night. So helpful!

- a doula (this is more for the birth and post-partum but you sometimes doulas have a payment feature that you can add to your registry so others can help you pay for it!) So helpful to have a knowledgeable person in the room with you the whole time you are in labor (as opposed to a dr who only shows up at the end). 

- some kind of swing/bouncer seat. I bought a cheap swing used that can also hook in place and become kind of a bouncer. It's not fancy, but is easily portable and has worked great. 

- breastfeeding 101 classes ( so helpful if you are a FTM) 

- a baby carrier ( I liked the Moby wrap and the Ergo but the Ergo is for sure easiest to use. 

- a few swaddles, muslin blankets, baby hats, sleepers (with zippers), baby hats, etc. are also helpful. 

Edit: to add, I'm obsessed with kicky pants bamboo onesies and sleepers. I bought one today because it was on sale even though this is my third kid who will need absolutely nothing (except I suppose if it's a girl). I couldn't help myself. They are so soft! and it was a pretty brown. I might add a turkey to it because baby is going to be here by Thanksgiving :) 

DS#1 3/13
    DS#2 3/15
    Baby #3~ 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• If I want the Uppa Baby Vista stroller, do I need an Uppa Baby car seat to use with it? Or will it take any car seat?

• About to board a plane, but my big tip is to register online. That way, you can read reviews, check the Baby bargains book and know what you're getting in to. Going to the store, you just look at everything and guess, and it's so overwhelming. 

Stroller. If you're planning on having more than one kid, go with the city select! You can add a second seat for baby #2, so no need to have to buy a new stroller. 

I would register at a big box store like buy buy baby and also amazon. Amazon is great and so easy.

If you don't want to get all clothes at your shower and would rather get things from your registry, think about not making the gender public and maybe announcing the gender at your shower. I was team green and so I didn't get any clothes but instead all of the useful things from my registry were purchased. 

Lucie's List is a great website/blog and they have a list for all the great things you should register for along with reviews!!!

• I'm skipping the registry this time around. Didn't have one with DD1 since we got mostly all hand me downs but I made one with DD2. Everyone was asking what we needed so I decided, why not? Yeah like 3 hours later I finally had just the basics done and only ONE person bought ONE item off of it. It was a waste of time. I figure people are just going to buy clothes for baby anyway so eh, f it.
  • If I want the Uppa Baby Vista stroller, do I need an Uppa Baby car seat to use with it? Or will it take any car seat?
    They have adapters that will work with several other brands, but definitely check which brands they work with before picking out a car seat. We preferred the ease of no adapters and got the uppababy car seat, which we loved. 
    April Siggy Challenge: April Showers
    68b4a0fa9283500827195ef5a5ccdd70

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!
    BFP 2.28.17, EDD 11.8.17 - baby girl, miscarried at 11 weeks on 4.21.17
    BFP 11.28.17, EDD 8.8.18, delivering in July - another rainbow baby boy!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Also re: nursing covers, I looooooooved my Covered Goods infiniti scarf one. Loved it. I got it when DS was like 8 months old and was so sad I didn't have it earlier. 

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!

• Thanks @elsieisamoocow! I probably won't want to deal with an adapter either but I'm waiting for my Baby Bargains book to come in a few weeks to help me decide what car seat I want. I've just heard Europe has higher car seat safety standards? So might go with a European brand? But Uppa Baby is expensive AF so I'd hope it's safe for that amount of $$. Idk, need to research.

• @DuchessOfCambridge my baby bargains book is a few years old but it gave the uppababy mesa a great rating which is why we went with it. Plus it's lighter weight and less bulky than a lot of others. But if we didn't go with that one I think I wanted to do the Cybex Aton I think it's called. I don't know if there's an adapter for that one or not. 

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11