November 2017 Moms

Baby Registry

Re: Baby Registry

• Okay ladies. I caved. I was not going to register for a rock and play...couldn't see why I'd need one. But I refuse to register for a bassinet. So a rock n play is on my registry. Now my question is what is so fantastic about them? Are they safe to replace a bassinet since they're so much cheaper? Why do all of you have and love yours?
  • @kaitlinliz I use one in place of a bassinet. I have a fast let down, which leads to gassy babies. The angle of the RnP helps alleviate the gas pains. I do overnight sleep in the RnP and naps in the crib until baby starts to get too big and/or starts rolling over.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • @kissthesky32 and it's safe for baby to sleep in all night? 
  • @kaitlinliz I have the second one. The first one is just bassinet and doesn't have the incline my kids needed. 

I don't think it says anywhere that it's for overnight sleep, but it works for us. 

• As discussed in the post before, I don't think a RnP is tested for safe sleeping all night but then if your baby sleeps all night then you are one lucky mama .

Now does that mean I have let my baby sleep in there most of the night- hell yes! He had silent reflux and the RnP kept him elevated so it worked. I however was very very alert and kept a close eye on his breathing whenever he slept in the RnP. 
  • I'm not trying to be alarmist, and I know every mom does what's best for baby, so there really isn't any judgement here, I just think it's best for (particularly new moms, and yes, I know I'm one) to have all the info before making a decision.  The RnP has frequently been called out for being unsafe for sleeping.  That does not mean that the mamas that do it are wrong or bad, as everyone does what works for them and their babies and whatever conditions come up.  I just want to provide another side, here.  Here's an example article.  I haven't made a decision on what I'm doing yet, but just wanted to throw some info out there.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not trying to be alarmist, and I know every mom does what's best for baby, so there really isn't any judgement here, I just think it's best for (particularly new moms, and yes, I know I'm one) to have all the info before making a decision.  The RnP has frequently been called out for being unsafe for sleeping.  That does not mean that the mamas that do it are wrong or bad, as everyone does what works for them and their babies and whatever conditions come up.  I just want to provide another side, here.  Here's an example article.  I haven't made a decision on what I'm doing yet, but just wanted to throw some info out there.
    That is a great article. It helped really articulate the reasons why I'm so hesitant to use the RnP or swing for long term sleep, but was never really able to say no to either. 

I found the part about sleep habits forming around four months particularly interesting, as that was the regression that brought us to full-time bed sharing. That never ended. I've loved bed sharing, but it hasn't been without its problems. I would definitely like to see if we can make it through in separate bed with this baby or not past four months. 

My question based on this particular line of thinking, for the sake of saving space, does it make much of a difference if we use a PnP at the infant level (not a bassinet insert, just the elevated flat surface) instead of an actual crib?

Eh. The only thing in that article that comes close to touching on safe sleeping conditions is the first point. I'm not sure what the new RnPs look like, but ours doesn't have any sort of pillow or bedding. It's essentially a plastic seat with a sheet and mesh sides. It's not a flat surface though, that's correct.

The torticollis and flat head can happen on any firm sleep surface when baby is properly sleeping on its back. It's not a RnP thing specifically - though the RnP is a little more firm than a crib mattress.

The mold thing - well, any place your baby sleeps will get mold if you don't wash it.

As for bad sleep habits - both of my kids were in the RnP and had no trouble transitioning to a flat crib. I had some sleep issues with my first, but that had nothing to do with the RnP/crib difference.

Eh. The only thing in that article that comes close to touching on safe sleeping conditions is the first point. I'm not sure what the new RnPs look like, but ours doesn't have any sort of pillow or bedding. It's essentially a plastic seat with a sheet and mesh sides. It's not a flat surface though, that's correct.

The torticollis and flat head can happen on any firm sleep surface when baby is properly sleeping on its back. It's not a RnP thing specifically - though the RnP is a little more firm than a crib mattress.

The mold thing - well, any place your baby sleeps will get mold if you don't wash it.

As for bad sleep habits - both of my kids were in the RnP and had no trouble transitioning to a flat crib. I had some sleep issues with my first, but that had nothing to do with the RnP/crib difference.
    I know you are making the point that the article is not very powerful which is fine but I think the point is the simple answer to the question if a RnP is safe for all night sleep or not. And coming from a mom who has used the RnP very extensive sleeping during the first 6 months, I will tell the same thing to anyone who asks - It has not been tested for safe sleeping all night. While there are many concerns and speculation listed on the article which may or may not be true, I am always  wary of something that has not been tested. My Ped was very clear with me to use it if I really need to get the baby to sleep but he told me try and not keep the baby in there all night. He is a trained professional and would not insist on that unless he felt strongly about it and I trust his judgement. While majority kids have no trouble transitioning, my son did have trouble transitioning to the crib and we had a very hard first year sleep wise so I am a live example or the RnP being more troubling in the long term than short. Every infant is different so if someone is a new mom my advice would be - they need to explore to see what works best but also follow the recommended safety protocols and speak to your Pedi rather than the internet ;-). 
  • First, it's a blog post. The blogger even links the product for you to buy from Amazon so they can get a commission on whatever you purchase in the freaking first sentence. As a blogger, that's a red flag. You're making a commission off of something you don't even recommend? 

Second, the only premise of the blog post that I agree with is that it goes against what the AAP recommends. And if you're a STM+ like me, you're all like "Well the AAP recommended not to bed share and I do that..." or "Shit, they don't recommend screen time under two? My poor kid..." or "Hell, I started solids at 4 months and 3 days. Just hand me my damn MOTY award already AAP." Do your research, speak with your doctors, and make informed decisions. 

Third, if you leave your baby in anything for an extended period of time (a swing, a car seat, a this, a that) their heads might become flat. It's a bit more common now with the "back to sleep" campaign started in the 90s. Do tummy time! 

The RNP was a life saver for us when my son was diagnosed with silent reflux. Our doctor recommended the RNP for napping while we watched him and adjusting the bassinet to an incline for overnights. He never slept for a long period of time and I'm a light sleeper so we relied on the RNP a lot. Newborns/younger infants lack head control so please be cautious of overnight sleeping in anything that isn't a flat surface. 

November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think the article was making the point that consistent RnP sleep raises the risk for the Torticollis and flat head because there is no way to adjust baby's position. Yes, any flat surface can cause it, but the recommendation is to put your baby in the crib or other sleeper at different angles each night to lower the risk (if baby's head is towards one end tonight, switch directions tomorrow night and have their feet at that end). Baby is still on his or her back, but the slight movements lower the risk. As with anything, parents need to take all the information and do what they are comfortable with.  None of us will be able to follow every single recommendation,  no matter how hard we try. With that said, I personally would be comfortable with naps in the RnP but not overnight sleep. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • One thing to think about with infant car seats - you'll use it anywhere from 6 months to a year, and you want the lightest one possible. Without spending a ton of money because you won't be using it for years.
  • DD2 slept in a RnP for the first 2-3 weeks. I don't recall it having much padding or pillows but we were stuck in a hotel and that is what worked for us. I certainly wouldn't recommend it over a crib but sometimes you have to do what you have to do and it worked for us when we needed something. 
  • Any mattress recommendations? I am leaning towards this one recommended by Baby Bargains as one of the budget options, but Amazon reviews are mixed.

• Any mattress recommendations? I am leaning towards this one recommended by Baby Bargains as one of the budget options, but Amazon reviews are mixed.
    I have no idea about that mattress, but make sure it's the right size for your crib. DS' crib was weirdly sized and I went through 3 mattresses before I found one that fit. It wasn't until after all that hassle that I saw the crib label had a needed mattress size on it. 

• jess0211jess0211 member
    edited June 2017
    @DuchessOfCambridge after a lot of research I went with this one, despite it not being a BB rec. It had great reviews and was recommended elsewhere and budget friendly. Eta edited attachment and it fits the crib!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • MaximumEffortMaximumEffort member
    edited June 2017
    I thought I needed a lot of DD, didn't have much still and even that was too much. So much is advertised for parents not really with baby in mind. Big things I used were my pack and play, baby bath, bottles, gumdrop pacifiers, burp clothes, swaddle sleep sack was a life saver, swaddle, apricot oil for cradle cap, boob cream for me, a swing/bouncer duo, diaper genie and aside from a travel system stroller that's about what I needed/used.
  • @MaximumEffort thank you so much! We're out of room as it is and I was getting worried about all the crap Wed need lol. I kno half is nonsense but it's like what do we NEED and everyone had a different answer. We have a crib and dresser (that will function as a changing table as well), stroller, and a swing, and lots of hand me down clothes. We've asked for a pack n play and obviously car seats. Then I have smaller things on our registry - swaddles, sleep sacks, bottles, paci, etc. Along with a jumper and 3-1 Walker. Idr what else I put on there but I think those were all the big things. I want to remove some stuff but know I'll end up having to buy it myself lol but I also feel like I'm missing stuff on there as well. 
  • Thanks @jess0211 we'll probably go with that one!

• @DuchessOfCambridge  often crib and cot manufacturers recommend a particular brand and style of mattress for their products or make their own. I always go with those as i know that they will fit best. 
  • Does anyone have this? Saw this on someone's Facebook and thought it would be great for travel or going around especially visiting family and friends. Not sure if it is as functional as it looks. 

• We finally bought something for baby. A jumper and a suit  jumper is a 3 to 6 m size as baby won't be needing it till at least March  (summer here is Dec-Feb and can hit 104°F+ at its peak)
    Suit is fawn with a Lil orange fox on it . 
    We also bought a succulent for them  (we collect them and cacti and garden a lot) pachyphytum frost bite
    Everything in the 'baby world' totally overwhelms me and I don't know where to start . We are slowly narrowing down a cot but like pram and cars eats and bouncers and all the STUFF is insane. 

Everytime I try to list what we need big and small I get this feeling of being inadequate and unqualified and just not ready in any way 
    Doesn't help we are waiting for the house to go through and have to negotiate with tennents before we have a home . 
    People have so many question and I think. Is that necessary? 
    Really just want nice stiff that we'll use and only enough to get by not excess and I don't want a home full of gadgets . 
    Even looking at a bag . 
    How did little people who basically come with their own care supply (ie mum) end up "needing" so much .  
  • @ShePersisted We had something really similar but ended up with a bad sleeper so we did not get as much use out of it as I hoped. I definitely think it depends on baby and it could double as a changing pad or a little play area if you have things to clip on. Not the worst purchase if the price is right. 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @ShePersisted that looks great 
  • bcashaw said:
    @ShePersisted that looks great 
    It does right but somehow I have a feeling it won't be as functional as it looks. Like @ElizabethSchuyler  said I think it will depend on baby.  Someone is selling one almost never used. That says a lot too. 
  • @ShePersisted I have this horrible awkward thing wherre as a FTM I want to buy literally every single thing that people are trying to sell me. I'm like " of course I need 5 of this totally obscure thing (think peepee teepee)"  but then I also have so much experience with infants and toddlers that I know realistically that I will use that thing twice. Maybe. Especially since I'm having a November baby, and anywhere I'm goin that I would bring that it would probably be just as eway to bring a bassinet, pack n play, or a box. 
    I still want it though 
  • @ooodalollly that was very well said!

• So I've decided against a bedding set since really I feel like all we need are sheets. But then I started wondering about crib skirts? Are they that important?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jess0211 Only if you want storage space under the crib that you don't want people to see. 
  • @ooodalollly I didn't even think about that! But I think I might skip the skirt unless there is some reason I am overlooking. Thanks so much! I feel better about that decision now.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jess0211 I see a crib skirt as one more thing for the kid to yak/poop/pee on. I had one with DD for a few months. I got so annoyed one night when she threw up multiple times that I just threw it out. 

• Yes or no on boppy infant lounger? I have a regular boppy my friend gave me and registered for a breastfriend pillow.  Is the lounger recommended or no? Can't he just chill in his bouncer?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • jess0211 said:
    Yes or no on boppy infant lounger? I have a regular boppy my friend gave me and registered for a breastfriend pillow.  Is the lounger recommended or no? Can't he just chill in his bouncer?
    My kids lounge in the regular boopy. It's perfect for tummy time too

• @kissthesky32 that's what I was thinking, I didn't really see the purpose of having both.  Now I just need to decide if the used boppy is "too" used or not.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • maegpiemaegpie member
    edited July 2017
    @MississippiCatfish my DD loves the snuggabunny swing. It was a lifesaver and was one of the only places she would nap. I plan on using it with this LO too

@ShePersisted +1 to the rock n play they are fancier now than the basic one we have from 4 years ago but DD would get the best sleep on this. I've also heard this is great for Babies with reflux. 
  • I love this thread! I agree with most stuff here. We loved A&A swaddles and the sleep sheep. Definitely look into a carrier. There are so many options but try and try some out before making a decision. We also really loved sleep sacks for when our daughter was older and didn't need/want to be swaddled anymore. We also liked the cloth diaper cloths you fold to use as burp cloths.

I am struggling with what items a STM could need. I'm trying to get a list together and right now I've got pacifiers, new bottle nipples, breast milk bags, breast pads, pacifiers, and new parts for my pump. I'm just not sure what else and I'm afraid I'm going to be unprepared this time around! lol.