November 2017 Moms

Baby Registry

Re: Baby Registry

• I could not live without the swing and rock and play. Those two helped me the first 6 months. Especially the rock n play was so easily portable for trips and stuff. However I think we need a pack and play too as neither the swing or RnP are recommended for full night sleep. 
    Both of my kids spend full nights in the RnP until they can roll over. I have a fast letdown that leads to a lot of gas and the incline of the RnP helps them with the gas pains.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We used the RNP as well for reflux. I'd just bring that from room to room as needed. 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @BayCamp I actually meant to say gripe water. So yes.  :D
  • @ShePersisted The pack n play has been a must have for us because we travel so much. I also used the bassinet attachment early on before we switched to cosleeping before we switched to the crib. It was nice to have the option at least  :D 

+1 to wondering about dock a tots. I would love to hear the pool noodle hack @2Dash
  • We didn't have a RNP last time but fully intend to get one this time. The swing was also a lifesaver. Oh god that swing, I could have kissed it a few times! 
  • I've been debating about the RnP as LO will sleep in PnP to start. Would you recommend a RnP in addition to swing and bouncer or in place of?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jess0211 I don't think you need a swing, bouncer, RnP, and PnP.

I'll go sit in shame in the corner because I have them all, though. Our bouncer went in master bathroom/bedroom (3rd floor), RnP was for sleeping at night (nursery, 2nd floor), swing was a place to put baby during the day (1st floor), PnP was for traveling and functioned as a diaper changing place downstairs. Side note - neither of my kids liked the bouncer, but they need to be somewhere while I shower and get ready.

• I want to try a RnP in place of a bouncer since that was a flop for us last time. But I may do a trial run with a friend's before purchasing another large item to store after a few months of use. 
  • One friend has a RnP and her daughter hates it. Her daughter does like the walker though. Meanwhile our cousin's son loves his bouncy chair but nothing else. If Honeybee is anything like me he will only like the play mat with his Boppy.
    25 - FTM - BF Mom - Using CDs - Blogger and Soap Merchant
    Married for two years to my Honeybear and expecting a little Honeybee on our homestead in Belgium.  <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • One friend has a RnP and her daughter hates it. Her daughter does like the walker though. Meanwhile our cousin's son loves his bouncy chair but nothing else. If Honeybee is anything like me he will only like the play mat with his Boppy.
    Confused by the fact that a baby who fits in a RnP could also be using a walker...

Confused by the fact that a baby who fits in a RnP could also be using a walker...
    Oh no its her old one! When she was a newborn we would put her in it and she's scream her head off. So our friend just packed it up and nd never used it. She's 8 months old now and beginning to stand alone and walk.
    25 - FTM - BF Mom - Using CDs - Blogger and Soap Merchant
    Married for two years to my Honeybear and expecting a little Honeybee on our homestead in Belgium.  <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • *this is a discussion and not a condemnation of other opinions. Genuinely unsure about some of this.*

I don't think pool noodles are a safe hack for a dockatot. They're not breathable, and that's kind of the whole thing that makes dockatots safe, right? That they're supposed to be totally breathable? However, I have seen people selling handmade knock offs on Etsy for considerably less. I would consider one of those with the right specs. I don't totally understand what makes the dockatot safe when pillows and bumpers aren't, tbth. But I can see why babies like them. They're cozy and snug, compared to breezy, open cribs. I've personally decided to try without the dock, but I'm open to one (or an Etsy one) in the future. 

• I had a PnP, RnP, swing, and bouncer because all but the PnP (that I actually bought for my parents' house but somehow ended up keeping  :D) were hand me downs. It was definitely nice to be able to explore what worked and what didn't  though. The bouncer in my experience with DS and many people I know, is usually the least useful. But you'll always know someone who could not get by without it. And the swing was invaluable to us, but my nephew hated it. Not knowing what will work is a definite plus for either accepting any free hand me downs, even if you would've picked a slightly different model, or getting new that you can return because you used it for less than an hour total. I'm pretty afraid to shop yard sales or consignment because then you pay for it and you're stuck with it. (Plus some of these things aren't totally washable and that's kind icky to me.)

• Now that I feel like it's time for me to start registering I'm stressed about what to register for. 
    I already have a crib and feel like it's weird to ask for furniture? Also my shower isn't until Sept 16th but I'm sure I'll have clothes before then (i already do)  that I will want to put in my dresser/change table. So should I just buy one? I wanted to buy one second hand but DH is apparently not okay with that idea whatsoever.... 
    I've already been gifted two swings so that's not going on my registry. 
    My mom is making me a dock a tot, I will make sure to mention the breathable thing to her... 
    I think I will register for a RnP but is that excessive if I already have two swings?
    Plus my other furniture like my plays help is that something I register from? It probably won't come from a baby store so I guess not? 
    The glider/recliner I want is like 600$ it just feels weird to register for expensive things but I don't know what inexpensive things to register for. 
    I should reread the list at the start of this thread... 
  • @bcashaw You probably will end up buying most of the expensive things for yourself, but you may want to put them on there just for the completion discount. Many stores will give you a one time code for like 20-25% off your order for things that weren't purchased off your registry. 

• @bcashaw +1 to the completion discount. Loved that for my wedding, we put stuff on we knew no one would buy us but were able to get it ourselves later for cheaper. We might actually make some private registries at fancier places like pottery barn for things we like just to get the discount (we won't share these with anyone though). We bought our dresser and crib ourselves...my parents definitely would have gotten it for us but they're helping us buy a car this month (their wedding present to us that we've now saved up enough of our portio to cash in on) so it doesn't feel right to ask them for much. Plus we chose some well priced items, in my opinion. I'm sure they'll want to get us one of our big ticket things later though as will DHs parents. 

Also, I've mentioned this before but I really loved the Baby Bargains book. It took away a lot of the "overwhelmed" feeling I was having in regards to the registry. There's still little stuff I'm thinking about (is one baby Tupperware better than another? Should I register for a bumgenius diaper cream brush?) but most of the big stuff is out of the way thanks to the book. I think you can just go on their website for a lot of info too!

• cwalker042cwalker042 member
    edited June 2017
    @DuchessOfCambridge I used a wipe warmer for DS because I could tell he did not like the coldness of the wipes. He would take a deep breath and whine a little. Those wipes get cold, especially in the winter. 

As as far as using your own food processor to make baby food, there's no reason you cannot. I used my Ninja blender to purée DS's food when I made his food. 

Also, we heated up water on the stove to warm his bottles. Honestly, after a few months we started heating them up in the microwave. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • *this is a discussion and not a condemnation of other opinions. Genuinely unsure about some of this.*

I don't think pool noodles are a safe hack for a dockatot. They're not breathable, and that's kind of the whole thing that makes dockatots safe, right? That they're supposed to be totally breathable? However, I have seen people selling handmade knock offs on Etsy for considerably less. I would consider one of those with the right specs. I don't totally understand what makes the dockatot safe when pillows and bumpers aren't, tbth. But I can see why babies like them. They're cozy and snug, compared to breezy, open cribs. I've personally decided to try without the dock, but I'm open to one (or an Etsy one) in the future. 
    THIS- Agree 100%. I would be very war yof safety standards and I realize things are expensive but I rather not buy a knock out or something that is not tested for safety and just manage with what is there. 
  • kissthesky32 agree. I had a colicy baby and he would need to be elvated constantly for which the swing was  must and there were many nights he did sleep in there through out. I was just a littl freaked as the instructions and manuals on both the RnPO and swing clearly say not for long or full night sleep - probably as they have not been tested for safety. My baby would be so comfortable in there, I would not even have the heart to get him out. We used to put a snuza on him and that gave me some peace of mind.

That reminds me the Snuza was a anxiety must for me. They have better options now and I am probably going to get the Owlet sock this time. 
  • Our snuza was wonderful for my anxiety. I'm looking in to the owlet this time just because we had a few false alarms with the snuza. 
  • DH is a doctor and said that the issue with the Owlet monitor is that by the time the O2 level drops enough to register, your baby has probably already stopped breathing for a couple minutes. I'm sticking with the Snuza.

• DH is a doctor and said that the issue with the Owlet monitor is that by the time the O2 level drops enough to register, your baby has probably already stopped breathing for a couple minutes. I'm sticking with the Snuza.
    That's good to know! I might just stick with the snuza and deal with the false alarms. 
  • Interesting...but I thought the owlet also registers breathing? So the oxygen level is just a perk...Maybe I am wrong. Agree need more research. 
  • Interesting...but I thought the owlet also registers breathing? So the oxygen level is just a perk...Maybe I am wrong. Agree need more research. 
    We had he discussion based solely on a tv commercial. I admit that I haven't looked into it at all. 

We had he discussion based solely on a tv commercial. I admit that I haven't looked into it at all. 
    I'll definitely be looking in to them. Not going to lie though, already owning the snuza is a big perk for me. I noticed the false alarms mainly in the first week or two when the belly button was still healing and it had to be placed off center. 
  • Wtf is an owlet and a snuza?
    Already a terrible parent. 
  • @bcashaw my FB newsfeed is fulllll of Owlet ads haha. It's a baby monitor that goes on baby's foot like a sock. I've read mixed reviews but need to do more research into what health professionals actually think. I read one review by a pediatric RN who gave it one star and said when they tested it at the Dr, the Owlet gave a 5-10% lower oxygen reading than the instrument the Dr used. I like the idea of a monitor because even when I nannied, i would go make sure baby was breathing every 15 minutes or so, but I'm not into unnecessary worry.

• bcashaw said:
    Wtf is an owlet and a snuza?
    Already a terrible parent. 
    Breathing monitors, I only knew what they were because my sister had one for my niece and nephew. If baby stops breathing for a certain length of time it sends off an alarm. The snuza clips on to the diaper and monitors belly movement, it sent off false alarms for us because it slipped to the side and lost contact. It's supposed to go right in the middle but his healing belly button made us keep it off center.  I think the owlet goes on the foot, like a sock? 
  • @DuchessOfCambridge @BayCamp  am I terrible for feeling like I don't need that?  I'm going to go with the Summerhill video monitor, and baby will be side sleeping for the first few months. 
    Am I too relaxed about safety? Maybe I should be more concerned? 
  • edited June 2017
    @bcashaw I don't think so. I think it's a personality thing. Honestly, even if I do spend $300 on something like the Owlet, I'm pretty sure I'll be going in to check on baby all the time anyway, at least at first. That's just how I am. I'm just going to do some more research and decide if it's really necessary. $300 is a pretty significant price to pay.

• @DuchessOfCambridge that makes sense.  Each parent and each child is different as well, I can't see myself using it enough to justify the price 
  • BayCampBayCamp member
    edited June 2017
    @bcashaw Most people get along fine without one. Due to some really unfortunate circumstances right before he was born I desperately needed that piece of mind and my sister ordered us the snuza off amazon and it got here the day after he was born.  

***major TW in spoiler***

The week before DS was born a mom in my last BMB lost her baby to an undiagnosed heart condition while still in the hospital. Baby was in the bassinet and when she went to pick her up to nurse her she was gone. 

Being very fresh in my mind I couldn't sleep without a breathing monitor for him. 

• @bcashaw You are totally fine without either of them. I am anxious by nature and could not sleep for the first little while when my first was home. Or, when I did fall asleep, I would wake in a panic and check baby. The Snuza let me sleep. 

• @baycamp that's so sad. Totally understandable that you would want a breathing monitor for your child 
  • @bcashaw @BayCamp I just read this from the American Academy of Pediatrics that says there is nothing that shows monitors can help prevent SIDS and can give parents a false sense of security. But, it does also say they can be useful if the infant has experienced issues early on.

Regardless, I think parents should decide for themselves if this is something that is beneficial to them. 

• @bcashaw @BayCamp I just read this from the American Academy of Pediatrics that says there is nothing that shows monitors can help prevent SIDS and can give parents a false sense of security. But, it does also say they can be useful if the infant has experienced issues early on.

Regardless, I think parents should decide for themselves if this is something that is beneficial to them. 
    I read that too. I think it's important to remember that these devices aren't to be used instead of safe sleeping practices, but in conjunction with them. I know some people IRL who use a Snuza and then keep bumpers and toys in the crib with their infant. That's just dumb.

• ShePersistedShePersisted member
    edited June 2017
    Just want to clarify (based on whatever I know and form talking to a SIDS mom),  SIDS while is connected to breathing by a lot of medical journals is not necessarily directly correlated. SIDS is unexplained and several parents who lost their infants to SIDS will tell you they followed all safety standards to the nook and still lost their baby. For me the snuza or anything similar is not a SIDS prevention thing. SIDS is not preventable.  For me a breathing monitor is ensuring I did not do anything  i should not be doing like accidentally leave a blanket or toy in the crib (sleep deprivation can do that to you) and/or the baby was not in distress e.g. accidentally pulled their swaddle on their face or if they turned over and could not lift their head etc. Just like @kissthesky32 I woke up in panic in the middle of the night to check on the baby and that was not very good for my sanity. Could I predict that I was going to be that kind of mom before the baby? Probably not. After a few panicky nights just staring at the baby I realized I needed something to calm my nerves. Whether  it scientifically is relevant or not was secondary to me.

I realize these things are expensive and personally I don't think it is a necessity for every mom but if you think a breathing monitor will help you ease your worries, you can always buy one after the baby comes and if you really need it. A lot of moms sell theirs second hand, I did at less than half price and it was in perfect condition. 
  • I'm headed off topic but I'm just curious about what kind of double strollers everyone has used or tried out and preferred? Side by side or one in front of the other? 

I don't think I ever slept the first night or two after bringing home baby. Too busy waking up to check on them constantly and just staring and watching my little princesses. After that I had no trouble sleeping though. 
  • @am+mommy as a former nanny I prefer one in front of the other. This is because I take public transit a lot and it's a lot easier to get that one around on busses than it is to get the side by side ones. That being said for walking I definitely prefer side by side, I like that most of them the kids can interact with eachother a bit, and it's a lot easier to steer than the one in front ones. 

• BayCampBayCamp member
    edited June 2017
    @ShePersisted a "breathing monitor" is a perfect description for me. Even now when I wake up in the middle of the night I have to make sure everyone is breathing, including the dogs. Having an infant is especially nerve wracking for me. Because anxiety is a bitch.