Infertility
Options

February IUI

Re: February IUI

• Options

@manders85 I agree with @pawcall I don't really know how to de-stress during this whole process. Infertility (the treatments, the research, the speculation, the waiting...) has really taken over my life. The only thing I can say is to keep busy as best you can without overtaxing yourself. I watch documentaries and quilt to keep my hands busy.

Personal update, went and saw the RE with DH this morning. According to my RE it is possible for follicles to shrink, especially with women who have PCOS (I've never heard of this, but I am far from a PCOS expert, just skeptical). I guess it has to do with follicle density with each ovary. This is CD20 for me, and I only have an 11.2 on the L and a 12.2 on the R and a bunch of small ones on either side, no dominant follicle. The RE wants to give it till Friday and check one last time. That will be U/S # 6 this cycle. Either way, I feel like I'm pretty much out for February at this point.  

I feel our RE really pushing us toward IVF. He mentioned it several times in our mini-meeting today. I'm really scared. IUI is expensive, but manageable in our finances, and IVF just seems impossible.

I'm hoping you all are having a better day than I am.

___

Me: 27, DH: 28

TTC since late 2015.

PCOS.

Dec 2016 - IUI#1 BFN

Jan 2017 - IUI#2 BFN

• Options
    @krystal_istal what dosage of clomid have you been on? my dr is recommending ivf after this third iui also, I totally get the fear and overwhelming feeling. Hopefully your ovaries perk up and this cycle works for you!
    TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @brooklyngirl18 , thank you, I'm getting so tired of feeling overwhelmed. We did 5mg/day of letrozole at the start of this cycle, and when that didn't work my RE put me on 100mg/day of clomid. Last dose for clomid was Friday but it doesn't seem to have done much, if anything at all for me.

___

TTC since late 2015.

PCOS.

Dec 2016 - IUI#1 BFN

Jan 2017 - IUI#2 BFN

• Options
    I had my progesterone level checked this morning 7dpiui and it was 3.6 (or 3.2 can't remember) and I have to start progesterone (endometrium). This leaves me a little discouraged. My blood test is scheduled for Feb 28th so we shall see.
  • Options
    I hope everyone who is in their TWW is doing well. My beta is Thursday morning and I'm starting to dread it. It won't just be a disappointment if it's negative but will mean decisions...we have things going on in March, April and May that will make it difficult to commit to another iui. 
  • Options
    @bpietronicco sorry your progesterone was so low. Hopefully supplementation will help
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    @junicek I hear you. I am supposed to POAS tomorrow but am not optimistic. We also had some things change and will likely have to take a break in treatments... ugg. Fx that you get a good surprise on thursday
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    I have been on progesterone supplement for the first time since 2dpiui, and wow I feel so so exhausted and crampy, I am assuming this is normal and hoping you ladies could reassure me that is what does happen.
  • Options
    @imajin99 both my IUI's we did the endometrin inserts starting at 2dpiui all the way up to our betas. I don't remember feeling tired, but I was crampy and just generally tender and bloated.

___

TTC since late 2015.

PCOS.

Dec 2016 - IUI#1 BFN

Jan 2017 - IUI#2 BFN

• Options
    @Imajin99 The progesterone supplements definitely make me tired and crampy. GL
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    Good afternoon all... Kinda nervous, Thursday is my first IUI. I feel like I am working with a very good, professional fertility clinic, very on top of things and give great information. There is just something so unknown at this point that all the "information" in the world cant fix, the "what ifs".  I am of course very hopeful that this will be a one time miracle and everything works out on the first try, but knowing my world.... Little works out the way its planned. So I just feel like to be at ease, I need to at least get this first one under my belt. Even if its not successful, knowing what to expect from my body and the stress going with not knowing should hopefully reduce itself and make for a easier go the next round (if needed)... Anyone else feel like that? 
  • Options
    @wabash15 I understand your feelings. I hope you will get a good surprise. This darned journey is so hard, especially when we don't know if it will ever work out in our favour. Keep us posted. 
  • Options
    * Child Mentioned*

Hey ladies! Sorry I have been sick and so has LO :-(

Went to the appt on Monday with no LO. and I had three follicles (23mm, 16mm, and 17mm).Im going in tomorrow hopefully tomorrow will be my IUI. my OPK says I am surging. I really want to have BD tonight. :-(  

Hope you guys are enjoying this weather. FX to us all!
    **Child mentioned**
    Me: 34 DH: 33
    Unexplained infertility

Married 11/12
    TTC 4/13
    IUI # 1 5/13 BFN
    IUI # 2 6/13 BFP
    DD born on 2/14

TTC 11/16
    IUI #1 1/17 BFN
    IUI #2 2/17.BFN
    IUI #3 3/17....
  • Options
    Wishing you luck @Londonsmom with the IUI!!
  • Options
    Thanks @pawcall and @Momifbysea for your advice and solidarity! I agree talking to friends about their stuff is a nice distraction from thinking about baby-making constantly. My IUI is tentatively scheduled for 2/27 or 2/28, @pawcall so we'll be on the same scheduled and through our 2WW together! 
    TTC History in Spolier:
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    Diagnosis: Me: Unexplained. Him: 1% morphology pre-washed.
    IUI  - CANCELLED Jan IUI - 100 mg Clomid Days 3-7. Cancelled after Estrace stunted follicle growth. BFN 
    IUI #1 - Feb/March, 2017 IUI - IUI+7 days Clomid+HCG trigger shot. March 1st IUI. 3/15 BFN
    IUI # 2 - August, 2017 IUI -  7 days Clomid + HCG trigger shot. IUI on August 12. 8/26 BFN 
    *TW* November 1st, BFP. Ended in MC @ 6 w 3 days. 11/20/17. **Natural Cycle with Acupuncture & Chinese Herbs. 
    IUI #3 Feb 24 2018, IUI + 7 days Clomid + HCG Trigger Shot. Feb 24 IUI. 3/12 BFN
    *TW* 5/10/18 BFP/MC. Natural Cycle. 1st Beta 232, 2nd 850. No Fetal pole seen on U/S, 5/30/18. Medicated MC on 6/23. 
    IVF #1, Stims begin on August 17th. ER, 8/28/18. 32 Eggs Retrieved, 18 mature, 18 Fertilized. 12 Day 5. 6 Blasts Tested Normal with CCS. 
    FET 1, 11/6/19. 1 Embryo Transferred. NEG BETA 11/15
    FET 2, 1/29. 1 Embryo to Transfer. +HPT 2/5. Beta 2/7 = 137, 2nd HCG = 317. MC at 6w4d. No fetal pole seen on U/S

• Options
    Ugh, @krystal_istal I'm so sorry about 6 u/s this cycle and still no follies ripe for IUI. So disappointing. If it helps, clomid to start (x5 days), stop and then start again (x3 days) also didn't do much for me. So this cycle I am doing 7 straight days of 100 mg clomid. We'll see on 2/27 if it got any large follies going, large enough that i can take something for thin lining. You think your RE would recommend IVF before another round of all clomid + hcg trigger and IUI? Could you ask if a new course of meds (more clomid) could be a good decision for you? 
    TTC History in Spolier:
    IUI  - CANCELLED Jan IUI - 100 mg Clomid Days 3-7. Cancelled after Estrace stunted follicle growth. BFN 
    IUI #1 - Feb/March, 2017 IUI - IUI+7 days Clomid+HCG trigger shot. March 1st IUI. 3/15 BFN
    IUI # 2 - August, 2017 IUI -  7 days Clomid + HCG trigger shot. IUI on August 12. 8/26 BFN 
    *TW* November 1st, BFP. Ended in MC @ 6 w 3 days. 11/20/17. **Natural Cycle with Acupuncture & Chinese Herbs. 
    IUI #3 Feb 24 2018, IUI + 7 days Clomid + HCG Trigger Shot. Feb 24 IUI. 3/12 BFN
    *TW* 5/10/18 BFP/MC. Natural Cycle. 1st Beta 232, 2nd 850. No Fetal pole seen on U/S, 5/30/18. Medicated MC on 6/23. 
    IVF #1, Stims begin on August 17th. ER, 8/28/18. 32 Eggs Retrieved, 18 mature, 18 Fertilized. 12 Day 5. 6 Blasts Tested Normal with CCS. 
    FET 2, 1/29. 1 Embryo to Transfer. +HPT 2/5. Beta 2/7 = 137, 2nd HCG = 317. MC at 6w4d. No fetal pole seen on U/S

• Options
    @londonsmom GL with your IUI

AFM: i'm out. GL ladies!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @wabash15 I'm so sorry :(
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    @wabash15 so sorry you are out this cycle. It never gets easier to greet AF, ugh...
    @Knottie83687999 yes, I totally felt the same with IUI #1 last month! And, maybe some peace of mind for you if you're anything like me, this month I feel a lot calmer about it. I know how my body reacts to the meds, I know the procedure is so quick and simple, I just have more ease. The part that I'm stressing about now is that I know this is my last try before IVF but I need to reign myself back in and not go there yet, just breathe in this moment and hope for the best, thinking positively.

@pawcall thanks so much for doing the chart this month! I scheduled my IUI for tomorrow at 9:30 as I got my LH surge this morning. DH will drop off his sample at 8:30. Hope that's good timing, and we did BD last night so hopefully his count will be good?

Sorry if tmi but has anyone else on letrozole had major cramping and diarrhea the morning of their surge? Yikes, last month I had a little cramping but this month it woke me up out of bed it felt like I was going to burst in there with the cramping! I know I had a 21mm follie as of Monday but just one. Maybe that's a sign of a really strong o? Here's hoping!

• Options
    So sorry about your BFN @wabash15 <3

@Momifbysea the two months I took letrozole I had MAJOR cramping around O time and then my progesterone was a 24 & a 35 so the doctors said it was probably strong O. No diarrhea though. 

Anyone elses' clinic make them wait 16 days for betas? Making the TWW even longer...awesome 
    DH - 34, Me - 32
    Married 7/13
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    BFP 2/4/15, MC twin boys at 18w3d 5/15
    IUI #1 2/25/16

• Options
    @Manders85 thanks for the response. I’m sorry you had trouble with a less than stellar response to clomid, but I’m glad your RE is trying again with prolonged exposure.  I think my RE has really given up on us for IUI. At our last appointment he looked my husband straight in the eye and said “She’ll get pregnant, but it’ll probably have to be with IVF”. It is statements like that I hate because while it is true, if we had unlimited resources, we likely would get pregnant with IVF, but unless you’re like… Beyonce or someone, the likelihood that you have those resources is super slim and we certainly don’t. Like I understand the idea that 1 cycle of IVF that ends in success is better than 4 IUI cycles that end in failure… but I can do 4 cycles of IUI financially, like I can’t even get a realistic figure on IVF right now from the clinic. They’ll tell me the cycle fee, but I can’t get a straight answer on the medications we might use so there is a huge chunk of the cost I can’t account for… How does anyone plan for this financially?

Anyway, I got off on a rant… I think if I begged, the RE would do IUI one more time, but I just don’t trust him to actually put in the effort now. Does that make sense?  I don’t know, I think I might just be super emotional because of the clomid. I read it can stay in your system for up to a month after your last dose, and I do think I’m more emotional and sensitive than I have been in the past. This just truly sucks.

___

TTC since late 2015.

PCOS.

Dec 2016 - IUI#1 BFN

Jan 2017 - IUI#2 BFN

• Options
    *lurking from March IUI*
    @pawcall - ugh, when it rains, it pours, hm? Like everything is a lot all at once. Take it easy, it will get better. You will be a productive member of society again soon! Haha! (though imo "productivity" is grossly overrated. :p  )

@krystal_istal - I hear you on the IF taking over your life. I'm so sorry re: everything you're dealing with. That sounds horrible. I spend so much time thinking about how we're going to pay for IVF - I have really mixed feelings about it. I'm not a gambler, and it seems like such a huge bet to take. If my RE could guarantee us a baby, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but that's not the case... Good luck with your decision; you are still young - you have time! I know that might sound kind of tone-deaf - you guys have been trying for so long and so hard, and all of this is awful - but at least if you attempt IVF at 28 or 29 your odds are still good, and that might give you a little bit more time to come up with the funds... At least, this is what I hope for you. FX!

@Londonsmom - GL today! FX for you!

@junicek - GL tomorrow morning. :)

@wasbash15 - ugh, so sorry! Grr.

• Options
    I'm sorry, @wabash15 on the BFN!  :( Ugh! 

GL @junicek tomorrow! Let the 2WW begin! :-/ GL @Londonsmom too! 

I hear you, @krystal_istal on the $$ issues with IVF. I won't know how I feel about it until we try our first full IUI cycle ... if it doesn't work more than three times, I imagine I'll be questioning what and if we can do IVF next. The money issue is such a huge deterrent. I'm sorry and totally understand that coming up with that cash can be overwhelming and impossible and I also get that if you're begging your RE for another IUI, he probably doesn't recommend it either so then that cost just seems like a waste too. Errrg. 
    TTC History in Spolier:

• Options

@funkykeyand @Manders85 thank you for the support. It does really suck, but I can’t even begin to tell you how great it has been to talk to people who really understand.

___

TTC since late 2015.

PCOS.

Dec 2016 - IUI#1 BFN

Jan 2017 - IUI#2 BFN

• Options
    @wabash15 I'm very sorry. I know you said you have some difficult choices to face. Take care of yourself. 
  • Options
    I'm out the cycle. Hoping that was the last IUI. I'm waiting to hear from insurance and keeping up with the IVF threads.
    good luck to all who are still planning on Feb IUI or in the 2 week waiting game

-Sugar
  • Options
    @wabash15 - I'm so sorry :(

@krystal_istal - I am there with you.  IUI is the end of the road for us, we have no IVF coverage available and financially, it's just not going to be possible.  We are already a medically complicated family, and most of our financial resources go toward his care, his therapies, and his equipment.  IVF is not in the cards.  I am almost afraid to have this conversation with my RE, like he won't take us as seriously because we won't be doing IVF?  Probably ridiculous but I think about it.

@SugarHead - I'm so sorry - I hope your insurance comes through for you for IVF!
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    pawcallpawcall member
    edited February 2017
    So, I spent yesterday morning with the RE. 

It was CD12, I had some blood drawn (seriously, this is my second IUI and I'm already 18 vials of blood in.  Yikes.)  And then the US - with 50mg of Clomid, I have no follies of useful size on my left side (Which weirds me out because ALL of the cramping I've had has been on the left).  I have 6 follies of possibly useful size on my Right - a 17, a 14, a 12, two 11's, and an 8.  I'm told they need to be at least 18-19 at O time.

I'll go back in on Friday (CD 14) to recheck follies and re-draw blood, and they'll have me trigger Friday night for IUI Sunday morning (CD16). 

My mind is kind of working overtime at the moment.  Last cycle was completely unmedicated, no trigger, nothing.  We IUI'd on CD13.  So IUIing on CD16 makes me so nervous that we'll miss it.  Does the clomid lengthen cycles?  That's all I can really think of.    The concept of triggering is messing with my head because I'm an early POAS offender and now I won't be able to.  How many of you test down the beta trigger so that you can hopefully trust a test?  Or do you just wait for your period?  I forgot to ask if they were scheduling a beta automatically - last cycle (again, unmedicated) they told me I'd only be doing a beta if I got a + HPT.  Wonder if this changes now that I'm going to be triggering.

[spoiler]

• Options
    @pawcall for me clomid shortened the first half of my cycle but lengethened by luteal phase. I went from 10-11 day lp to 14-15 which was a total mind F last night and gave me false hope. It seems like it affects everyone differently though. My first iui with trigger i tested around 7dpo to test out the trigger and it was gone but some girls have mentioned it staying in their system a bit longer. You can always use cheapie wonfos.

i'm 10dpo today and this is the first cycle I havent tested early and I'm super proud of myself. I think it's more so because I am pretty sure it's negative and I don't want to torture myself with the 'it's just too early' charade. I have a beta saturday so i'll probably test that morning so I'm not blindsided. I actually need to call my RE today to see if my insurance approved ivf. If so, i start bcp when I get my period and if not ill be doing another iui. I'm ready to just into ivf already, i never thought i'd say that but i've lost all hope otherwise.
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    @brooklyngirl18 - This is very helpful - I have a ton of wondfos as an obsessive POASer so I'm sure I'll be putting them to good use.  Did you test out the trigger with FMU? Or doesn't it matter?

Thinking good thoughts for your beta on Saturday - I'm super impressed by people who can hold off on testing.

[spoiler]

• Options
    @pawcall I usually start testing at 9dpo lol i really needed to step off the crazy train this month. yes i'd use fmu for testing. 
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    @brooklyngirl18 - it's so hard not to test.

*TW*

I have gotten one BFP in my lifetime, it was the first cycle we tried for my son back on 2010, and it was early.  8dpo.  No meds or anything like that, just an honest to god super early BFP.  So now it's just about impossible for me to keep from testing.

[spoiler]

• Options

@pawcall -when I took clomid it did lengthen my cycle by about 3-4 days.  Those sound like some promising follicles! And a few more days till they grow.

@brooklyngirl18 - have you tested yet? I was going to try to wait it out until the blood test or at least the day before (Feb 27). Are you taking progesterone supplements? I have been since 2dpiui and seem to be having so many cramps that they feel like pms cramps.  Hoping that isn't the case! 

• Options
    @imagin99 I haven't tested yet. I usually start by now but  I'm pretty sure it's negative and I don't want to torture myself. I'll probably test tomorrow morning, and definitely on saturday before my beta. i'm not taking progesterone or anything else.

good luck to you!

Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    rant about my RE office: so initially the plan was 3 iuis and then ivf but I changed my insurance and now i need pre approval and sometimes it's difficult to get before 6 iuis. my dr said he would try to get approval to start right away if this cycle doesn't work. I called today to see if the approval came in yet and the nurse was such a B to me. She basically kept repeating herself on things I already understand like I'm some idiot. i was like NO LISTEN TO ME! my question is has insurance approved ivf or not? the issue is, the re already called in birthday control for me to take day 1 of my cycle. I'm due for my period saturday or sunday so i need to know if it's covered or not before then. if it's not covered then i'm not taking the bcp and i'll do another iui but she kept saying let's wait to see what the beta says. the office isn't open on the weekend so no, i'm not even sure they'll call with beta results on a saturday. you'd think they'd be a little more sympathetic and understanding on the phone. ugh! she said she wasn't sure about the approval status and would get back to me. i really don't want to waste a cycle due to miscommunication. 
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    Just got the call...BFN. Good luck to everyone still in the game. 
  • Options
    @junicek I'm really sorry :(
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017