February 2017 Moms

Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

imalwaysme79imalwaysme79 member
edited August 2016 in February 2017 Moms
A thread dedicated to baby gear. Ask any questions here and hopefully other momma' scan offer advice and opinions. I think it's helpful if we get the "don't buy that" opinions too. 

Can we sticky this thread?
Married: 12/2015
Me: 37 - H: 39
TTC#1: 01/2016
BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

• I'm highly considering buying a dockadot. They say it's safe for co-sleeping, good for tummy time and very comfortable. It's quite pricy but 2 moms from my other bmb have bought one for their new babies and absolutely love it. It's also good for crib transitions apparently. 

https://dockatot.com/collections/all

Anyone have experience with these? 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • wow that's expensive! I feel like I could make that with a pool noodle. But I'm sure it's really good if you want the baby in the bed. I don't but I want to be just as close. Probably will get this:

• Loading the player...
  • @concreteangell I don't have experience but I've seen it all over Instagram. People seem to really like it and if I didn't have to buy a ton of stuff for second baby I would definitely look into it more. 
  • @concreteangell hah a rich person I know who blogs just posted about how that's a must have today!
  • There was also a thread a while back where people suggested their favs... it was titled "Gear Opinions". I would link up for reference but I don't know how on mobile, sorry!
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @concreteangell hah a rich person I know who blogs just posted about how that's a must have today!

STUCK IN A BOX--

Ha! Well considering I don't need all that much for baby #2, I was thinking I may invest in this item even though it IS overpriced...  I had such a hard time with DS in the first few months because of his horrible reflux and I think something like this may be helpful to elevate the baby's head if needed once again. I had tried to work out a bunch of ways to do it but all my efforts were useless! Who knows, I'll be debating this one for a while I think. 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Hmm I would consider something like that since I a cosleeper anyway!! Easier than the PnP next to the bed at first 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

STUCK IN A BOX--

Ha! Well considering I don't need all that much for baby #2, I was thinking I may invest in this item even though it IS overpriced...  I had such a hard time with DS in the first few months because of his horrible reflux and I think something like this may be helpful to elevate the baby's head if needed once again. I had tried to work out a bunch of ways to do it but all my efforts were useless! Who knows, I'll be debating this one for a while I think. 
    it seems like a pretty good idea. Especially if your kid likes to be swaddled. I guess if you had one of those spread eagle sleepers it would be a waste 
  • The name DockaTot is too effing cute. Not for me, but looks cool!
  • Ontario peeps, check this out! I'm super jealous! I'm planning to buy one of the darn things.

https://www.babyboxco.com/blogs/news/all-about-ontario?mc_cid=ae22a92c1c&mc_eid=962385ec18

Too Long Didn't Click: The Finnish-style baby boxes for infants to sleep in that are loaded with goodies are being provided to Ontario residents for free. I'm really into this as a sleep option since I want to room-in, but not cosleep, and have very little space next to my bed. Plus I just think it's neat. Has anyone out there tried one?
  • @concreteangell The Dockatot is the #1 thing on my list for baby #2. It's supposed to fit perfectly inside the Halo Bassinest (which I just found for free on Craigslist!). After having a terrible sleeper the first time around, we are doing everything we can to set ourselves up for success this time!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jlk2016Jlk2016 member
    edited August 2016
    Ontario peeps, check this out! I'm super jealous! I'm planning to buy one of the darn things.

https://www.babyboxco.com/blogs/news/all-about-ontario?mc_cid=ae22a92c1c&mc_eid=962385ec18

Too Long Didn't Click: The Finnish-style baby boxes for infants to sleep in that are loaded with goodies are being provided to Ontario residents for free. I'm really into this as a sleep option since I want to room-in, but not cosleep, and have very little space next to my bed. Plus I just think it's neat. Has anyone out there tried one

SITB:

there was a ton of Finnish box talk in the last baby gear thread! Sounds like quite a few are planning on using them.
  • Has anyone used the Joovy Caboose Ultralite Graphite double stroller or any Joovy stroller for that matter? This is the only big ticket item I need for baby #2 but I don't want a full size double because my 3 almost 4yr old probably won't ride too often. The reviews are great online. 

https://joovy.com/caboose-ultralight-graphite/

• For those who have two already. Did you buy a double stroller? Did you end up using said stroller? How did you use it?(exercise, shopping etc.) Did you find yourself not using it because it was too heavy/bulky to bring in and out of the car etc? Which double stroller is the best? Anyone have a double running stroller? Strollers are taking over my life! Help me!  
  •  I was going to get a baby jogger city select bc you can use it with one (all we need for now) or two. It just seems to be kinda heavy.  It's also a 2 handed close.  I don't know if that matters. I don't know anything!

• I'll throw out another stroller question. I may have asked this before-I know I did somewhere but I keep getting mixed answers. Have any of you used a jogging stroller for "serious" running? I know that's a malleable term, but for the sake of argument let's say 3-6 mile runs a few times a week. If so, what do you use and do you like it? Research is leading me to the Bob or a Thule but both are major purchases so I want to be sure. 
  • @Xstatic3333. For more serious running(not me, but the lady I nannied for) definitely go with the bob! They ran at least 20 miles a week and it's great for running. I have a double jogging stroller and even though I can use it for running, it's definitely not the same caliber and I don't think I'd be able to take it for long runs like that. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • @Xstatic3333 I think you can't go wrong with either one. I have the BOB and used to run/jog about that much a week. A friend is getting the Thule. I think they're pretty comparable. 
  • Starfish113Starfish113 member
    edited August 2016
    @Xstatic3333 I had the BOB for a while for running and it was great. My my DD was tall and I ran with her for about 3 years. So I ended up getting the Baby Jogger Summit and I loved it way more than the BOB. I ran 10K races pushing her and trained for a half with it and I honestly had ZERO complaints! It's expensive though. But if you're gonna run a lot it's worth it. And for me, all my run time was with the baby since I was the only one home at those times so it was perfect!

edit: oops! The tall part! The summit has a few more inches of head space than the BOB so that was why I switched to that one initially. 
  •  I was going to get a baby jogger city select bc you can use it with one (all we need for now) or two. It just seems to be kinda heavy.  It's also a 2 handed close.  I don't know if that matters. I don't know anything!

I would definitely say that ease of use and weight are big factors In a stroller. This is my second so that's why I'm looking into that Joovy that I mentioned above. It seems very light and easy to fold. I had a Chicco travel system with my first and as far as folding the stroller went it was rather easy, but it was heavy. Needless to say we only used it for a few months and I got a Chicco echo and it is much lighter. It reclines and has a canopy so it was just as good as the big stroller. If you can find that stroller in a store I would surges going and playing with it. Fold it and pick it up and see how it works for you. 
  • Thanks guys! Good tip on the height thing, @Starfish113. I'm pretty tall so my spawn very well may be, too. 
  •  Needless to say we only used it for a few months and I got a Chicco echo and it is much lighter. It reclines and has a canopy so it was just as good as the big stroller. If you can find that stroller in a store I would surges going and playing with it. Fold it and pick it up and see how it works for you. 
    Can you snap the carseat in the echo? I looked at a bunch of pictures online and didn't see that. It does look nice and light and easy. Pretty comfy looking too. 

Speaking of comfort, I am also pretty sure I am going to have a huge kid. We are both large, I was born huge and I totally skipped baby stage completely, and the baby is already measuring big. I have to go look at everything again picturing a big toddler sitting in there.  And almost all the strollers I have seen don't have the option to lift the feet up when the kid is sleeping. I don't get it. Back in the day that was standard. Are all these kids sleeping with legs dangling to the ground?  
  • @jstringfellow19  oh that joovy balloon is so cute. and the legs raise!  I need to do more research.... (and quit working bc this is a full time job...)

• edited August 2016
    I went and played with strollers/travel systems at the store.  I was originally thinking about getting the Britax because it received such good reviews.  But I'm glad I went and checked it out.  
    1. It has very minimal storage space for baby bag, etc..
    2. You have to buy the cup holder trays separately which I thought was ridiculous considering the price of the travel system.  
    3. It was a pain in the butt to change the stroller seat from reclining to upright position and vice versa. 

So the one that I really like is the Chicco Bravo Trio travel system. 
    1. One handed folding AND it stands up on its own while folded.  
    2. For the 1st year or so, I can remove the stroller seat and just use the car seat in the stroller which makes it lighter.  
    3. AMPLE space in cargo holder
    4. Reasonable price and it comes with the parent and child trays..
    5. There were some other reasons too that my pregnancy brain is forgetting.  

Edit: Corrected name of Chicco system and added picture.  

• @jstringfellow19  oh that joovy balloon is so cute. and the legs raise!  I need to do more research.... (and quit working bc this is a full time job...)

The Joovy strollers look like great options! I'm pretty sure that is what I'm going to get for my double. The Chicco echo is just a deluxe umbrella stroller so the carseat does not go in it. We started with the Chicco Keyfit Caddy. That was great until we transitioned out of the infant carrier. The. We went with the full size stroller for a few months and the echo has been our go to since DS was a year old. The Chicco Bravo is mentioned above and it came out after I had my son and if it would of been around when I had him I would of went with that one. 
  • these are all so cute. I am such a sucker, I need to fight buying with my eyes and buy with my brain!
  • Is anybody else waiting until Black Friday to make their big purchases for baby stuff? I've never bought baby stuff on Black Friday but I'm hoping they have great deals for them, too. 

• Ok, I also have a stroller question. Based on the past gear thread, so many of you ladies recommended the baby jogger city mini, we decided to go with this one:

We tried it out in store and it has every single feature I could think of wanting, and it's light/easy to fold. DH also loved it and drove it around the store for a while and popped some wheelies (men, gotta love them!).

My question is the infant car seat. This stroller has an adapter for basically any car seat I could want... my question is, is there 1 infant car seat you would recommend, and if you used it with this brand of  stroller, did the adapter impair the 1 hand folding?

DH nor I have any carseat experience, so preferably one with a good safety rating that is also idiot proof to install. :neutral:
  • @WinchesterGirl As you can probably tell from my post a over Chicco was my preferred brand. The car seat base couldn't be easier to install and it is one of the top rated seats. I don't have personal experience with Britax infant seats but I do have a Britax Pioneer seat for son now and love it. Britax is also top rated. With those 2 brands aside you can't go wrong with Graco if you are in a budget. When I was pregnant with my son I think I spent my 8 hour working day for about 6 months researching anything and everything baby. 
  • @jstringfellow19 Thanks for the recommendations! I will try to look those up to see how they work with the adapter piece. 
  • I have a citi mini that I love, but never used it with a carseat
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We already have the Chicco keyfit cortina travel system but we played around with the Chicco liteway today and I like that I could use it as a smaller stroller and still hook in the car seat! 
  • @Xstatic3333 I hadn't been looking at this but my one piece of advice for joggers is to get one with a locking / unlocking front wheel.  We have a fixed front wheel which is safer for running but the WORST any other time. i hate it. 
  • Thanks @PerraSucia. One of the Thule options is fixed front wheel only and I was wondering if that was really THAT bad. This will need to do double duty as my everyday stroller, so I'll rule that one out. 
  • Thanks @PerraSucia. One of the Thule options is fixed front wheel only and I was wondering if that was really THAT bad. This will need to do double duty as my everyday stroller, so I'll rule that one out. 
    I even hate the fixed wheel for running. I never ran a straight path though, always neighborhoods and stuff. 
  • I will add to that too,make sure the front wheel swivels.   We have accidentally locked ours before at the zoo, and you can't maneuver at all.   

If you can, find a stroller you can push with one hand.   If anyone is looking for doubles where cost is not a factor, especially twin mama's, I had a Bumbleride Indie Twin that I could not have loved more.

Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone have good info on carseats?   Particularly infant carriers?   I am not concerned about stroller compatibility, but tell me what is new in the 8 years since I purchased a car seat for an infant.  I tend to have small and short babies.   
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Partyof6? said:
    Anyone have good info on carseats?   Particularly infant carriers?  
    This!! 
    Initially i had been looking at a cybex cloud q but i went looking at prams (stollers) today & the place i went to have an offer on the bugaboo cameleon which i want where there is a be safe izi go as part of the package which would be way better value but i dont know anything about the be safe seat & id love to hear if anyone has any views on either.
  • Partyof6? said:
    Anyone have good info on carseats?   Particularly infant carriers?  
    This!! 
    Initially i had been looking at a cybex cloud q but i went looking at prams (stollers) today & the place i went to have an offer on the bugaboo cameleon which i want where there is a be safe izi go as part of the package which would be way better value but i dont know anything about the be safe seat & id love to hear if anyone has any views on either.
    I don't think there is a bad one out there. Britax and Chicco are top rated and are at the top of my list. I had Chicco with my first. It is lighter than most infant car seats and installing was easy. All seats meet the same safety requirements, some just have more comfort features.