February 2017 Moms
Options

Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

• Options
    @WinchesterGirl That's a tough one because I think every baby and situation could be different. I got a swing for my daughter and used it so rarely I almost got rid of it until my husband reminded me that this one might like it.
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl my kid HATED the mamaroo. Like he spent at most 3 screaming minutes.  This is something I wouldn't buy until later to be able to return it or buy it used if you really were into it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do agree that they are all so different. My DD haaaated the swing. I actually had to get a travel PnP for the living room because she only wanted to lay flat. So I'm sure it's a toss-up what this baby will like.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I hardly ever used the swing we got as a gift- it was only to quickly grab something otherwise she really didnt like it until she was older and could see the animals that were hanging down. Its up to you, I did keep it, but if the space is limited, then I would skip it all together and maybe get a small bouncer that plays music and vibrates.
  • Options
    Well, we are for sure getting a rock n play, because it folds pretty flat and can store behind our couch when not in use, and we will have a bassinet of some sort in our room.

I was really torn on the mamaroo, because it's expensive but it's a lot smaller than a swing... but it seems slow compared to the swings I've seen. 

I think I might do what @PerraSucia suggested and buy it closer to due date, so I can return it if the baby hates it. It looks like Graco has a small footprint glider, maybe we'll try that first? It's less than half the price. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    H's cousin has this swing/bouncer/bassinet combo thing that she recommended to us. It seems to have some mixed review on the target website, but I'm still planning to get it. It was top rated on Lucie's list

https://www.target.com/p/graco-glider-elite-gliding-swing/-/A-17209381?regMode=REGST&registryId=OG6A1PePUbeYNpVzaaPwgw&registryType=baby&itemLineNum=338&backLinkName=my registry&backLinkUrl=/gift-registry/myitems?registryId=OG6A1PePUbeYNpVzaaPwgw#2&pageFrom=myitems
  • Options
    We used and loved both a regular baby swing and a mamaroo. The motions are quite different so we used the heck out of both of them. We did not use the mamaroo for night time sleeping because it doesn't have an upper body harness so when they start sitting on their own they could fall out where our swing kept them firmly secured. 

• Options
    I bought the travel swing and my DS loved it. Plus I could put it anywhere because it was so small. 
  • Options
    lfrank12 said:
    Are nursery gliders/rockers worth the money and do you actually end up using them often?
    So worth it. We had an heirloom rocking chair that was very special to me but was uncomfortable and not very BF position friendly. We got a cheap Walmart glider ($120) and it has been awesome. 
  • Options
    Question about swings/gliders/etc. Out house is tiny. Like DH and I are extensively moving things and decluttering and there is room in our living area for ONE smallish piece of baby equipment. I've been checking out the small footprint options, and almost every store steers us to the mamaroo. I'm just concerned that a lot of people's kids hated the thing, from what I've read, and it's so expensive compared to a lot of the traditional swings.

Do any of you have any suggestions on smaller sized swings/gliders? Should we bite the bullet and go with the mamaroo?
    DD loved the mamaroo. I loved it too. It was very quiet and compact. 
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl I loveeeee all of those outfits! I'm pretty sure, even if we have a girl, that is what our kid will be dressed in too haha
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 OMG, I love the tiny campers and the tie!! Where did you find those?
  • Options
    The tiny campers were Carter's online, and the tie was Target. 5 bucks!
  • Options
    On the rocker/glider discussion- DD hated being rocked until she was over 1 and we rock and read bedtime story.  We did that for about 6 months when my belly got too big and she hasn't cared to rock since.  DS loved being rocked and I still rock and sing to him every night before bed (he's 3).  Definitely make sure to get one that's comfy for you to fall alseep in because it will probably happen. 

Nursing Covers: I used the Bebe au Lait apron style cover and an infinity scarf style cover with DD and DS and they were fine, but I'm really interested in the Poncho style covers this time around (Milkmaid Goods and Covered Goods brands specifically because they have such pretty prints!).  Has anyone used the poncho styles and what did you think?  Bonus points if you used either of those specific brands and can give feedback on them too! :) 

• Options
    @silvercamaro77 No experience but I'm also looking at Covered Goods and Milk Snob. They're essentially the same thing and seem to be in some sort of struggle over who invented the idea. I think the price is comparable too. I just looked at milkmaid and it also looks like the same deal. I like the multi functionality aspect.
  • Options
    @Partyof6? Ahhh! I saw the little gray moose "suit" (not sure what to call it), and I love it! If it wasn't completely impractical in Florida, that would also be in my now overflowing baby box.
  • Options
    cphsiungcphsiung member
    edited September 2016
    We really liked the Baby Bargains book by Denise & Alan Fields for helping pick out different baby gear.  It provided some nice explanations about different options along with ratings.  I have to say we were happy with the advice.  Our library carries a copy, and I suspect many other libraries probably do also.  Amazon sells the book if you are interested in owning a copy.
  • Options
    Sorry guys not sure if we've talked breast pumps yet. Looking into ones through our insurance and don't know which one to pick.  I had a medela with my first but it was given to me by my sil so I think old and not good motor so I didn't care for it. With daughter I had an ameda I didn't care for either. I am mainly leaning between the spectra and the hygeia. Any recs? Won't be used as full time pumping as I mainly stay home, but would like it easy and effective for building a stash. These are what I have to choose from. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @lct2008 I can't help, as I'm a FTM, but I was wondering how the pump through the insurance works? Do the give you a list to choose from? Is that what this is?
  • Options
    @srscott3 I went to edgepark.com it's a medical supply company and signed up and you put in your insurance and they pretty much do all the work for you. Like get your script and then ship off the pump you choose that you're eligible for. Like you can see there are a couple in my pic that say not eligible. Just means my insurance won't pay for those ones. So I'll choose the one I want. They'll do the rest then ship it out to me. I know there are other places that have similar programs like both target and babiesrus like a place you can call in and they help you get it all set up. Otherwise you can just call your insurance and they can tell you your steps- like script from your dr and the medical supply places they work with. 
  • Options
    @lct2008 I'm a FTM so no personal experience using it, but I also just picked my insurance covered one and I went with the Spectra 2. I had more limited options, but I was between the Medela and Spectra. Several different online review and mommy blogs comparing the two led me to get the Spectra 2 so maybe try reading into some of those!
  • Options
    My insurance provider uses edgepark as well and my options are similar to yours.  The majority of the users in the breastfeeding group I go to have nothing but praise for the Medela, but I don't think many have used anything else.  The Medela PISA is really only meant to be used for the duration of one baby, so that may have been part of your issue before.  I used the Medela with DS and it was definitely a workhorse especially compared to the PJ's Comfort I had used with DD.

That said, I've heard great things online about the Spectra 2 and am also torn between it and the Medela.

• Options
    AHHH thanks guys! Just filled out the forms for my pump :)
  • Options

My insurance gave me 2 companies that I could order a pump from. I tried edgepark first because they said that was the best if I wanted the Medela. I filled everything out and a few days later had to call them and they told me I wasn't eligible for 8 out of 9 pumps and the one I could get was the cheapest thing you could get. So that was a pain in the butt. I tried the other company and ordered the Ameda Purely Yours and I got it 3 days later with no problems. I was reading the instructions and looking at the set up and it seems pretty easy and pretty good.

Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so glad you guys brought up the pumps! I had been meaning to ask about it, and I just ordered mine online this morning! I went with the spectra S2.

Does anyone recommend also getting a hand pump? I think my insurance covers both, but the website didn't have any info on ordering a manual pump.
  • Options
    I used my hand pump like, twice. But if I remember they are pretty cheap and do come in handy in a pinch when you just need to run to the bathroom and pump real quick. My friend used hers a few weeks ago at a restaurant since it fit right in her bag.
  • Options
    I ended up getting a hand pump that I kept in my purse for emergencies- like in case I managed to forget my pump, or if we were out longer than expected without the baby.  I only used it a handful of times, but when I needed it, I really needed it.  I'm planning to get another one with this baby for the same reason.

My insurance only covers 1 pump per pregnancy per calendar year, so I used it to get the double electric and I purchased the manual pump out of pocket.  Manual pumps are typically under $50, so it didn't make sense to spend my insurance coverage on it vs the double electric.

• Options
    Yeah, I think I'm going with the spectra 2 seems like that has the best reviews all around. I found a hand pump super handy. I could just toss in the car when we were going on date night just in case I maybe was gone too long and needed to pump. Also was handy to bring in the shower if I thought I had a clog because o could pump while my boob was under the hot water. 
    I had the lansinoh Manual pump that's like under $30 and I loved it. 
  • Options
    My insurance only covers a single manual pump, but I do have a used Medela Advanced that I recieved from someone who used it for 3 kids. I'm buying all new tubing and components for it, but do these pumps last that long? We'll probably rent a hospital grade pump for a couple months, I was hoping the secondhand pump would work just fine after that
  • Options
    One of my hesitations on buying a pump already is ensuring it works/doesn't have something wrong with it. I'd hate to get ready to use it only to find out something random isn't working on it and be outside of a return window. Can someone correct me if there is a way to test it? 
  • Options
    @Patience7150, if you get one and turn it in, you should be able to hear the motor working and feel. If air idls moving in the tubes. 

I have never heard of the Spectra, but will need to do some research.   With my twins, because they were early, my insurance covered a Medela Symphony that was phenomenal.   I used a Medela pump in style with my youngest. 

I agree with everyone who said a manual can come in handy.   If I was ever without my pump or with it but without power, it was a life saver.   Honestly sometimes it seemed like it worked better or faster than my double electric. 

I honestly don't know how much I will need mine this time around, but I am thrilled that insurance covers them now! 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @yogadevil I think the biggest concern with used pumps is whether or not they have an open or closed system.  Ones with open systems (like non-hospital grade Medelas) are not meant to be used by multiple users as milk can get in the system.  

My lactation consultant scared me out of ever considering a used pump because she brought pictures back from a seminar she attended of a dismantled open-system pump.  I don't remember how many kids it had been used for but, it was pretty scary.

This is what Medela says on their website:
    Personal Use Breastpumps Personal use pumps that you buy at the store are personal care items, much like a toothbrush. Personal use pumps should never be resold or shared among mothers. The MedelaPump In Style Advanced has an internal diaphragm that cannot be removed, replaced, or fully sterilized. Therefore, the risk of cross-contamination associated with re-using a previously owned pump such as the Pump In Style cannot be dismissed, even when using a new kit or tubing. Another consideration when deciding to borrow or even lend a previously owned electric pump is the pump’s motor life. A high quality electric double pump might last through the breastfeeding of your second child, or even several children. However, like computers or other electronic products, an electric breastpump has a limited lifetime. Medela guarantees its pump motors with a one year warranty. If you use an electronic pump that has been used for more than one year, there is no guarantee that it will generate as much speed and vacuum as it did earlier in it’s life. By using your own pump, you can compare the pump’s performance with each child. However if you borrow a pump, you cannot gauge its performance to ensure it is operating at full capacity.

• Options

If anyone is looking for muslin swaddle blankets, my friend recommended these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KOIB718/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E3G6RU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are super cheap! About $12.99 for a 2 pack and they are 47x47inches. I just ordered them last night! I hope they are as good as my friend says! I don't want to shell out $50 for a 4 pack.

SUMMER PROMOTION - Muslin Swaddle Blankets 2 Pack - 100 Cotton - 47 inch x 47 inch Large Softest Muslin Baby Blanket - Star and Heart - Unisex for Boys or Girls - Lifetime Guarantee
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jennpearl007 When you get these will you let us know what you think?  DD cried all the time so of course I tried throwing money at the problem with anything anyone suggested might help and that's how I found out about the a+a ones.  We loved them so much I didn't hesitate to buy a set for DS, but if there are others that are just as soft for a fraction of the price now, I have no problems with switching.

• Options
     @silvercamaro77 Definitely! I should get them tomorrow! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker