February 2017 Moms
Options

Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

• Options
    @silvercamaro77 that was very helpful, thank you! The pump is the Medela Pump In Style Advanced that you cited with the diaphragm issue. I think we'll take a different route after hearing that info
  • Options
    Also for anyone else concerned about breakdown of pumps, my insurance gave me a list of replacement parts they cover, and they cover a new pump after 36 months, and repair/replacement of a broken pump if it is within 36 months. So make sure you check with your insurance to see what their repair policy is. 

For mine, it wasn't stated anywhere, and I had to do a live chat to get the details on that.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    omg facebook just showed me an ad for this 1000 pump..

whoaly shizz

https://nayahealth.com/

• Options

I was curious to see what pumps Kaiser (Northern California) insurance would cover so I called and they only cover the Ameda Purely Yours Double Electric Pump. I see that some of you ladies were already able to place an order for your pumps. Kaiser won't let me order the pump until the baby is born. Then it takes about 3 days to come to my home.

Does anyone have experience with this? Do I buy a manual pump to use while I wait?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jennpearl007 kaiser gave me a manual pump as the hospital, but i'm socal.

also you aren't going to be pumping in the first 3 days of your babies life anyway. 
  • Options
    I got the Medela PISA with DS and only used it a short time so I'm hoping it's still good to go.  I should probably check the motor for good measure in case I need another one.

One of my friends recommended the Spectra because she said it's medical grade and it was more effective than the Medela so I'm leaning towards that one if I have to replace mine.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Options
    @jennpearl007 That's fairly common practice as they often like to make sure you have a need (i.e. you deliver a baby that needs to eat) before they send you the pump.  If you have a circumstance where you need to pump before you've received yours, insurance will typically cover the cost of renting a pump from the hospital. That is probably only a concern if your baby has some kind of health issue/ends up in NICU, etc.

I am personally not concerned if I don't have a pump within the first few days.  If something happens and I need one, I will either rent from the hospital or send someone to walmart to grab the manual pump.

• Options
    I agree, you don't need a pump that early. DD wouldn't latch, and the hospital gave me a hospital grade pump to use until the LC came back (she was born on a weekend). So even if something came up, you would be okay!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @MLRocha Aww that was sweet of him! My DH stays out of all baby related purchases. I will ask his opinion and he just tells me it's my choice. Kinda drives me crazy. I think I'm going to look that sound machine up. With my first I had to use apps on my phone which would lead to me leaving my phone in his room. I didn't like doing that because I use it as an alarm clock 
  • Options
    @MLRocha That was a pretty good cover he had there. I never would of even thought to use a noise machine with my son until I read something and said what the heck I will try it. I just hope it works for this one. 
  • Options
    We found that radio static worked best for our kids, so that's what we're planning to do for this one as well.  It's really handy because even if you travel, there's always a radio so you don't have to worry about forgetting to pack their sound machine.  We've even used radio static in the car, but we had to flip it over to AM because FM had some sort of filter that blocked the static.

• Options
    I still use "mountain stream" white noise that I downloaded from iTunes. It plays on a CD over and over and over again in DD's room (still) and I have it on all of our devices including her iPad so we can play it no matter where we are! I used to use in in the car nonstop while I took her for "snooze cruises".
  • Options
    So, what is everyone's thoughts on the Rock N Play?  Pretty much everyone has told me that it's a must have, but then I read that it causes the flat heads and other issues.  Any experience? I know they shouldn't sleep long term in it and you have to make sure to not keep them in there for extended periods of time.  So, as long as I pinky swear to not do that, I would be good, right?  I feel like too many people I trust used them and loved them to not get one, especially the acid reflux sufferers.
  • Options
    Flat heads are typically caused from spending too much time on their backs, so anything you lay the baby belly up on can cause a flat head if they spend a lot of time in that position.  It's one of the reasons tummy time is so important (in addition to building up their muscles).

We didn't have a RnP with DD, but DS loved it and we used it a ton.  It's definitely near the top of my baby gear must have lists, especially the one that has the mechanism to rock itself.

• Options
    So, what is everyone's thoughts on the Rock N Play?  Pretty much everyone has told me that it's a must have, but then I read that it causes the flat heads and other issues.  Any experience? I know they shouldn't sleep long term in it and you have to make sure to not keep them in there for extended periods of time.  So, as long as I pinky swear to not do that, I would be good, right?  I feel like too many people I trust used them and loved them to not get one, especially the acid reflux sufferers.
    I've heard the same. Everyone I know who has used one, swears by it. They're not incredibly pricey, so I plan on getting one. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have another stroller question. We are just getting a jogger, and live in Minnesota. Realistically if it's a good year, the earliest baby will be in the jogger outside is April. How important is it to get a jogger compatible with our infant car seat? 
  • Options
    I have another stroller question. We are just getting a jogger, and live in Minnesota. Realistically if it's a good year, the earliest baby will be in the jogger outside is April. How important is it to get a jogger compatible with our infant car seat? 
    I'm a FTM, but the advice from my SIL was get the stroller that worked best for me (I got the Valco Snap 4) and just invest in a snap n go base for whatever car seat I want.  Depending on the car seat they're pretty inexpensive.  I'm going with the Chicco KeyFit Magic and the compatible Snap N Go is under 100 bucks and eligible for my completion discount through Amazon.  Depending on the Car seat I've seen Snap N Go's for much cheaper.
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i've read a lot about stroller choices on here, but curious if there are any STM's in NYC or major mass transit areas where stroller is main form of baby transport. Any input on good city stroller and why is appreciated. 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • Options
    Rock and Play for the win! I hope baby #2 enjoys it like DS did. We set up the pack n play in our room and he hated it. Wouldn't sleep more than 30 min at a time. I tried cosleeping and my nerves couldn't handle it. My SIL had bought a RnP for her DS that was only a few weeks older than mine. She swore by it so I bought one. Her son ended up hating it after about 2 weeks. My son started sleeping in his crib at 5 weeks, but up until then that is where he slept. It is nice for travel as well. They fold up compact and are easy to transport or move in the house. I let a friend borrow mine because her son wouldn't sleep anywhere and she said it was a life saver. I would highly recommend it. 
  • Options
    Ok, I'm in
  • Options
    H and I went to BRU last night and I immediately became overwhelmed by the entire wall of bottles available. I plan to breastfeed but the baby will need bottles for daycare every day. Will I mostly just use the bottles that go with my pump? Or should I be looking into buying additional bottles as well?
  • Options
    Our first baby purchase arrived yesterday!  Amazon had the Mamaroo for $160 and around here they're usually $150 used, so I went ahead and took the plunge since I was planning to get one later on anyway.

• Options
    Is that they style stroller you want, or do you plan to jog with it? Personally, I wasn't ready to that early on. The first few months I was in the trenches of feeding and no sleep, so I never needed the infant seat in it. But if you are a super motivated person, I'd make sure you can get the part that it can click in to.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @lfrank12 I am similarly overwhelmed by the bottle jungle. My SIL offered to give me an entire box of random bottles she has from my niece; apparently they went through about 10 different brands before they found one she liked. Is there anyone you know who has a similar box you could try before you buy? 
  • Options
    @Patience7150 a lot of the things I'm reading are saying no actual jogging for the baby until 8 months. Which is a bummer. I'm hoping to baby wear for the super tiny months, though I know not every baby goes for that. We registered for (and already were given!) the Thule Urban Glide. Our next purchase will be a simple car seat cart for shopping, errands, etc. There is a converter, but I may not bother getting it. What I can't figure out us what age the baby is allowed to start sitting in the jogging stroller for walks. Maybe someone here knows! 
  • Options
    I think the jogger style is better, even if you aren't planning to jog.  They are just easier to manuever.  I know I took my twins for walks around the neighborhood in ours early, like 3-6 weeks.  We used the infant insert and strapped them in.  If the seat reclines I don't see an issue.   If baby has to be sitting up with head control, then yes, that's older.
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    birdiejobirdiejo member
    edited September 2016
    @Xstatic3333 does the Thule recline? My SIL put her baby in her jogging stroller at a couple weeks old for a walk. I can't remember when we put my daughter in but it was a bit later than that. I think you just want to be sure they're not slumped or flopping around. I started jogging with my daughter between 6 and 7 months. You want to ensure they have proper head control before you start. 
  • Options
    Here is the picture I could find to screenshot of my twins in theirs.   The feet came up, the back reclined and they were cozy even at like 5 and 6 pounds.  
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl that's a good idea! I can ask my SIL what bottles they have from my niece, but I don't remember her having any issues with them so they may only have 1-2 options to try. I didn't realize the babies themselves could be so picky about the kind of bottle they use! Makes it even more complicated
  • Options
    @Partyof6? Your kiddos are adorable!!!
  • Options
    Does anyone have experience with these infant coats that work with/over the car seat?
  • Options
    @Starfish113 I really don't see a need for a stroller outside of jogging, and if a need for a non-jogger later comes up, I'll get one myself instead of registering for one now and letting it sit around as clutter for the time being. God only knows if it'll have ambition to actually run, but I likely will have ambition to walk, and DH will want to run. If I need a break and he wants to take the baby on a run, I want him to be able to go for it! 

@Xstatic3333 Thanks for the info. This spurred me to do a bit more research, and I was able to find recommendations that if you have the kiddo in their carseat, they can go for jogs around 6-8 weeks so long as the road/trail is smooth and paved. It's similar to being in a car, but there is then a concern about the stroller being top heavy. So I guess my answers to my question are:

1) If we're going to actually jog prior to 8ish months, yes, we need one that the infant seat will fit into
    2) If I'm just going to walk and don't want to buy the one compatible with our infant seat, I need one that reclines
    3) If it doesn't recline or fit our infant seat, a jogger won't be useful until the kid has a strong enough neck (6-8 months). 

Thanks everyone! 
  • Options
    @Patience7150 Are you planning on mainly baby wearing? The only reason I ask is because in the early months, we used a stroller ALL the time. Going to the mall or shopping at a store...Going to a doctor appointment... Going to the farmers market... Going to a restaurant... Of course you can get away without having one but it made life a lot easier. Didn't have to lug a car seat in any of these situations, as well as had a place to store my heavy diaper bag. 

On the other hand, if you're planning to baby wear you should be fine in most of these situations. I'm planning on doing that this time but it was a luxury to be able to put the baby down in some of these situations. 

Im not trying to convince you or say you absolutely need another stroller because you'll already have the one. The jogging stroller is just a lot harder to be mobile with because they're so much bulkier. 
  • Options
    If anyone is interested in Breastpumps through insurance I found another reputable source. Aeroflow Breastpumps. I had never heard of them so I did a little research and the reviews were good. I sent in my pre qualifying info and they responded this morning asking for my OB's name/number so they could secure a prescription. They said my insurance qualified and that once they had the prescription they would get back to me on choices. Edgepark won't even do anything until late December. I know it is still early but I am just trying to prepare. 

• Options
    Oh and I'm going to a Baby Palooza thing tomorrow. Has anyone else been to one thier area this pregnancy? I'm excited to see what is new since I was pregnant almost 4 years ago. 
  • Options
    @jstringfellow19 There is a baby expo near us this weekend! If I can get over my current cruddy cold by then we are planning to go!