February 2017 Moms
Options

Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

Re: Baby Gear - Questions/Opinions/Suggestions

• Options
    Patience7150Patience7150 member
    edited September 2016
    @homemake We just don't do those things in our life...The nearest mall is an hour away, I have a garden so no going to the farmers market, doctors appointment (lol, yes, we'll go to those) I could see needing it but could always get a snap n' go as PP recommended, and I hate when people leave their stroller in an aisle at a restaurant so we'll just carry the carseat in from the car and put it in a sling. I do plan to get a baby wearing device, but we really only go to friends houses (no need for a stroller), to Target/home improvement stores/grocery stores, where wrangling a stroller and a cart sounds like hell, and restaurants. 

Please tell me if I'm crazy, but I struggle to see when we'll need a real stroller! 

• Options
    @Patience7150 You do you! I was just thinking of times it really came in handy. It sounds like you've got it figured out and if March rolls around and you want one, like you said you can always get a cheap snap n go type thing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The snap and go would absolutely make sense if you don't use a stroller much.   Those are always around at our local resale stores for cheap.   

A couple things to think of, the stroller is also an easy place to put baby if you are outside for any reason.   Gardening, sitting on your deck, etc.   For me with older kids, it's also going to be lugging baby around to baseball games and the playground. 

We use ours at zoos, walking the neighborhood and Disneyworld. 

Just a couple things to think about! 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Patience7150 it does recline! Good call. If I can safely jog sooner than 6-8 months though I still may want the adapter. It just becomes a nice to have, not a need to have. Cart is the priority for sure. 
  • Options
    @Patience7150 If you don't think you'll use one, don't get it.  I had very many of the same hesitations about when/where we'd use one, but bought one anyway and it's only been used 3-5 times in 4.5 years even with 2 kids.  For all the reasons you stated, we just aren't stroller people.  Once our babies could sit up on their own (around 4-6 months old) they started riding in the carts at the stores so baby wearing until then was easy.  We tried using the stroller while shopping a few times and I just didn't enjoy it.  I felt really strange putting the things I wanted to purchase in the stroller, but there was no way I could maneuver a stroller and a separate cart.

The only time we were really grateful to have the stroller was the 1 time we took the kids to the zoo when DS was about 7 months old.  There were lots of people pulling wagons with kids and there were strollers/wagons that we could have rented there, so we still would have been fine without one then.

• Options
    @Patience7150, I never used a stroller. DD was a crier so I usually wore her. I got rid of hers, and have no intention of buying one this time! The snap n go is sometimes nice just for something to have, but I don't even think I'll do that.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @Amber_Waves You can't use coats or anything like that in a carseat (nothing between baby and straps or the back of the seat). You should look for a shower cap style cover for the seat and dress the baby in warm layers and a blanket if necessary.

We used something similar to this.
    https://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Seat-Cover-Graphite/dp/B00511J6BM?th=1
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
  • Options
    @MrsP052909 I know. That image is of a car seat cover...just a different one from the one you linked.
  • Options
    My bob jogger says you can't run with baby until 6 mos. I know moms who have around 4 mos but personally I think it's not safe. I do like my jogger as a regular stroller as well but did not use it to run until kiddo was older. For just going around town I baby wore primarily 
  • Options
    I think the general rule for running with a baby is six months smooth pavement and a year on rough terrain. 
  • Options
    Is anyone familiar with the Baby Brezza? It's a one step formula bottle maker. I thought I read somewhere online that it was good, but then I read some other reviews and doesn't have great feedback. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @imalwaysme79 I never used it but from
    what I heard from other people it's brilliant at first but then you end up with a kid who is a diva and won't drink cold formula when you're out and about.  
  • Options
    @imalwaysme79 whilst i havnt heard of that brand there is a similar version here in the uk & any mums ive asked for their "cant live without" recommendations have said if youre not breastfeeding the this is the must have!
  • Options
    @imalwaysme79 I never used it but from
    what I heard from other people it's brilliant at first but then you end up with a kid who is a diva and won't drink cold formula when you're out and about.  
    Hmmmm. Didn't think of that one :| . Couldn't you use room temperature water? I don't know anything about this stuff!

• Options
    I had a brezza and loved it. I never had problems feeding room temp formula when I was out, but I could see that being an issue. You have to stay on top of keeping it clean. We went thru several different types of formula with my allergy baby and some would clog the spout faster than other.  
  • Options
    @Amber_Waves Sorry about that! The picture that showed up was a little snowsuit.  :)
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
  • Options
    Zulily has tons of baby stuff today. Prices were pretty good compared to what some of it sells for in store. 
  • Options
    So, my pump came in the mail already! I thought it would take way longer, but it is here.

I'm kind of curious to hook it up and see how it works, but I haven't done it yet. My nips are still sore.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl When mine came in, I immediately took out the instructions and read them. Then set everything up just to see how all the parts went together and to make sure the motor works and nothing was damaged. I didn't use it but making sure everything looks good is a good idea in case you need anything replaced.
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• Options
    That's a great idea @becbec28! I will do that tonight. I didn't think to check that it worked in general, and all the pieces are there. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    lfrank12 said:
    H and I went to BRU last night and I immediately became overwhelmed by the entire wall of bottles available. I plan to breastfeed but the baby will need bottles for daycare every day. Will I mostly just use the bottles that go with my pump? Or should I be looking into buying additional bottles as well?
    Way behind here and not sure if this has been answered, but with bottles it's really just try and see. I've seen a bit of success with Tommee Tippee and Dr Brown's bottles. DS took well to the tommee, but I had a couple of other random brands on hand. 
  • Options
    Is it best to put a mobile above the crib or the changing table? I feel like above the crib would just stimulate a baby thats trying to sleep, or does it soothe them? The mobile we bought doesn't play music or anything if that matters. Or wait, should mobiles play music? I feel totally clueless lol
  • Options
    yogadevil said:
    Is it best to put a mobile above the crib or the changing table? I feel like above the crib would just stimulate a baby thats trying to sleep, or does it soothe them? The mobile we bought doesn't play music or anything if that matters. Or wait, should mobiles play music? I feel totally clueless lol
    Great question, @yogadevil! I'd like to know, too. 

• Options
    AfKash said:
    yogadevil said:
    I'm not sure about everyone else's kids, but mine never cared about their mobile at all. We had ours on the crib, but both kids only got enjoyment out of it once they were big enough to stand and grab at it. One day, my daughter had ripped off all the characters! But our mobile had a button on it that when we pushed it, the base that hooked onto the bed would vibrate. Both my kids fell right to sleep when we pushed that button. It just put a light vibration through the bed.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    AfKash said:
    yogadevil said:

I had a mobile that projected stars on the ceiling and played music. It also has some animas hanging. I can't remember the name or I would tell you. Either way my DS really didn't care about it until he was about 3 months old. So I would say not s necessitie at first. 
  • Options
    @yogadevil I personally feel like they provide more as decoration than anything else. I made one and was planning to hang it above the changing table. I have this irrational fear about hanging anything over the baby's crib just in case it would fall. That's not reason enough for normal people(not me) to avoid hanging over the crib. 

I have heard it can be a distraction for sleeping but I'm not sure how many babies find them soothing versus distracting.
  • Options
    @yogadevil young babies can't really see anything more than 8 inches away from their faces. Their vision is much stronger around 4 months, so that's when a mobile might be of more interest. Mobiles can give their eyes something to track, help with depth perception, basically give them something to test their little eyeball skills on. At least that's what I remember from an early and family literacy course I took during my master's (library and information science, not medical!). They also recommended bright colours and/or high contrast. Maybe it is soothing, because it tires them out? 
  • Options
    @PerraSucia I think we were talking about ring slings awhile back. The wildbird ones I told you about had a really awesome sale today with the colors we talked about but they sold out in 2 minutes! I definitely missed out. They're coming out with their fall/winter line next Tuesday with all new colors in case you were interested. I think I'm going to get the olive green one... not sure what it's called officially.
  • Options
    @homemake damn i would of gone for it too.. i'm in a TAKE ALL MY MONEY trend. olive green or rust would be my jam toooo
  • Options
    DS never cared for the mobile. For us, it was just an acccessory to the crib. 

White noise machine was a life saver. 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Options
    Do I need a bottle sterilizer?

• Options
    I never used a bottle sterilizer.  Honestly, I sterilized everything before we used it the first time and that was it.  I occasionally ran bottles through the dishwasher instead of handwashing, but that was the extent of it.  I know other people do it a lot more.

• Options
    I'm getting a bottle sterilizer for my pump parts.
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PSA for anyone getting the Chicco Bravo Trio Travel System:

There's an older version that does not come with a child's tray, $300ish, and a newer version that does, $400.  After spending hours at BRU I decided on getting this system.  I didn't pay attention to the price.  I came home and put the item on my registry at Amazon. Yesterday, my mom let me know she had purchased it for me. I went onto my registry just to see if it was updated, and by chance, I realized it is the incorrect stroller! Honestly, aside from the tray, I don't know what else there is different b/w the two.  And they are probably charging an extra $100 only because it's the "newer model."
    Anyways, this is my first child and I prefer to have the latest model to ensure it will last me the longest with other future(hopefully) kids. So I asked my mom to cancel the order and I'll pay the difference for the newer one.  Btw, Amazon does not carry the new model so I have to get it at BRU. 

I've enclosed pictures for anyone who is interested in this stroller system.  

This is the old one:  

• Options
    edited September 2016
    And this is the new one: Note BRU carries both old and new models. So choose carefully.  

ETA: If my long rant helps even just one person, I will be so happy!! because it took me a while to post. TB was giving me issues uploading the pictures.  

• Options
    AfKash said:
    And this is the new one: Note BRU carries both old and new models. So choose carefully.  

ETA: If my long rant helps even just one person, I will be so happy!! because it took me a while to post. TB was giving me issues uploading the pictures.  
    Hehe, that is the stroller I picked out too, now I am double checking which version I got. I did the older one and you can just add on the tray https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Bravo-Child-Black-Small/dp/B013SKBE7Q/ref=pd_sim_75_2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B013SKBE7Q&pd_rd_r=AS39267QN4EGJBJ3A205&pd_rd_w=58C8P&pd_rd_wg=PsRiF&psc=1&refRID=AS39267QN4EGJBJ3A205 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options
    I got that one as well! 
  • Options
    srscott3srscott3 member
    edited September 2016
    @AfKash I would double check again..because the one on Amazon and the one on BRU have the same model number and UPC. They may just actually be cheaper on Amazon..

Also, another one that comes with the snack tray is call the Chicco Bravo LE Trio. That stroller also comes with an extended canopy and more padding in the seat. I only knew about that one because it's the one we ordered after some research about the Trio systems

https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Bravo-Stroller-Black-Grey/dp/B013SKBE9O/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1475096834&sr=1-2&keywords=chicco+le+travel+system&th=1

We didn't get it as a travel system though, because I really liked the Keyfit 30 Zip instead of the Keyfit 30. So we bought the stroller in the above listing and bought the carseat in the listing below

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=59128106&cp=2255957.2273443.2256187.2256195&parentPage=search
  • Options
    @srscott3 you have to look closely.  Notice the colors listed.  

The papyrus is the older one.  
    Champagne is the new one.  

It's so tricky. I've spent hours online today trying to figure this ish out. 

I do like the color of the black one that you ordered.  But I wanted it in a travel system.  Also, I wanted one that I was able to see and play around with in the store.  I don't want any surprises with such a big purchase. 

@skiingstark yes, sorry I forgot to mention that...you can order the tray. But as I said above, I don't want any unwanted  surprises so I'm sticking to my guns. :smile: