February 2017 Moms
Options

Has anyone discussed cloth diapers vs. regular diapers with their SO?

Re: Has anyone discussed cloth diapers vs. regular diapers with their SO?

• Options
    I use Tide original powder too.
    (When my son was a newborn I bought fancy cloth diaper branded detergent. It worked fine for newborn poo, but once he started eating baby foods and had stinky poo, those fancy detergents didn't get them clean enough. Switched to Tide and had no issues, even though he has sensitive skin. We did a second rinse though to make sure all detergent gets rinsed out.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @scottipino @Starfish113 @FreshBakedBrownies I'll add tide original powder to the shopping list! 

@Gretchypoo how did the prep go? Care to share your routine? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @floatingelephy I had to do our other laundry before i could start and we've been sick for the last two weeks so it was a lot! Starting today. I've got a combo of pockets and prefolds.

I'm boiling the prefolds with water and some dawn dishsoap for 30 min. The pockets apparently just need a hot rinse and a long wash. I'll probably was them twice just in case.
  • Options
    @floatingelephy I had to do our other laundry before i could start and we've been sick for the last two weeks so it was a lot! Starting today. I've got a combo of pockets and prefolds.

I'm boiling the prefolds with water and some dawn dishsoap for 30 min. The pockets apparently just need a hot rinse and a long wash. I'll probably was them twice just in case.
    You really don't need to boil them. Washing twice is fine!! :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I read that for the bamboo ones I could boil them 30 min or wash them 8-10 times!
  • Options

I read that for the bamboo ones I could boil them 30 min or wash them 8-10 times!
    Damn! 8-10! What brand are they? I thought bamboo only needed a couple of washes and it was cotton that needed a ton. 
  • Options

Damn! 8-10! What brand are they? I thought bamboo only needed a couple of washes and it was cotton that needed a ton. 
    I have bambino mio 100% cotton, grovia 55% rayon, 45% cotton and Osocozy 100% cotton. Thought I had some bamboo, I guess I changed my mind? no idea.

Off to do some internet sleuthing. I may need to change my plan!
  • Options

I have bambino mio 100% cotton, grovia 55% rayon, 45% cotton and Osocozy 100% cotton. Thought I had some bamboo, I guess I changed my mind? no idea.

Off to do some internet sleuthing. I may need to change my plan!
    PS- i shoulf mention that part of the reason I planned to boil is bc my washer only has a hot wash/ cold rinse cycle and I thought boiling might be easier/ faster
  • Options
    GL @Gretchypoo! I don't know much about boiling but I washed my organic cotton GMDs 5x and my few AIOs and fitteds (some cotton, some bamboo) just once. Hopefully it works! 
  • Options
    I thought I had to do 5+ prewashes too, but basically I had to only do 3 - separate for microfiber/similar once, then two washes for any natural fibers.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    I mean you can and it won't hurt!!! But they aren't going to soak through at first so your first few washes can count for all the times you want to get the absorbency up. Then by the time baby is peeing more they will be ready :)
  • Options
    I mean you can and it won't hurt!!! But they aren't going to soak through at first so your first few washes can count for all the times you want to get the absorbency up. Then by the time baby is peeing more they will be ready :)
    That is really good to know. Okay so I've amended my plan (after starting.) I did my covers/ used diapers in a hot wash with detergent and a cold rinse after to get the residual detergent off. I'm still boiling my prefolds bc the majority of them are 100% organic cotton and now that I've done 1 batch it is super easy. The pockets are mostly polyester so I'm going to do a rinse on hot and a cycle on hot with detergent and then a cool rinse to get any detergent off. and I'm gonna call them good.
  • Options
    Yeah don't boil the pockets because you'll ruin the elastic and the PUL!
  • Options
    @scottipino They are so much cuter on a baby! Ahh!
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @scottipino ahhh!!!! omg squee! so sweet :-)
  • Options
    @madamerwin 12 brand new Freetimes? Wow!!! Great friend!!
  • Options
    @madamerwin this motivates me to reorganize my fluff! Looks great!

• Options
    @madamerwin 's photo above got me thinking tonight as I was washing and organizing my stash. Those of you doing prefolds - how are you storing them!? There are so dang many and I feel like I need half my dresser for all this fluff.
  • Options
    I just have all my prefolds stacked on the shelf below the changing table. Pile of newborn size and a pile of size 1!
  • Options
    I just have all my prefolds stacked on the shelf below the changing table. Pile of newborn size and a pile of size 1!
    Me too! My mediums are put away in a drawer for now. 
  • Options
    Since our babies are coming soon and I'm finally getting stuff together in preparation... 

Who is using liners? What kind of liners are you using? 

What detergent are you guys using? I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for tide.

If you have pockets that come with microfiber inserts , how many and what kind of additional inserts do you have?

What diapers are you using for overnights? 
  • Options
    I have some liners to try once he's eating solids, but may not bother long term. We have known good city plumbing, not septic, or I wouldn't be trying them. Spraying may be easier anyway. For overnights I have bought two brands of fitteds to try (TotsBots and Sloomb). Both are expensive, so I'll see what works best and then get more during Earth Day sales. We're going to use powdered Tide. I don't have any pockets so can't give feedback there. 
  • Options
    @scottipino yes please to all the pictures! What a cutie patootie! Is that a Thirsties Duo size one or a sized cover?
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333, that is a Thirsties newborn cover, not a duo.  I think these tend to run smaller.  It's our only cover we can fit right now.  She was 6lb 4oz on Monday at 2 weeks old and gaining a little over 1oz per day.  I will take some more pics as we do changes today.

• Options
    I got the Kawaii overnight heavy wetter for night too... eventually. They worked really well for DD. 
  • Options
    kirstynikolekirstynikole member
    edited February 2017
    Good to know @scottipino  about the covers.

I've been waiting on buying a few more newborn diaper covers until baby comes. We've got some NB  prefolds and AIO, but a small supply. We didn't start cloth diapering until DS was about 2-3 months, so I wanted to be sure on sizing before splurging on too many newborn items. 

I got 2 packs of extra inserts for the bum genius pockets but honestly didn't end up using them much. As for liners if you're talking about absorbers to help with overnight etc, we've used fleece stay dry liners on top and bamboo inserts. For disposable liners we used grovia liners when DS got to eating solids, but never flushed them. We had a separate trash for liners and disposable wipes, and one for cloth diapers. 

We we also used tide for detergent and used bac-out to spray our diapers when putting them in the pail. The bac out wasn't necessary but a friend suggested it and we just kind of followed suit. It made me at least feel better about them sitting in the pail for a day or so.
  • Options
    What does everyone have right now for stashes?? Share and PIP!!!
  • Options
    Even though I already shared my photo, here's the breakdown of my stash:

12 BumGenius Freetime AIOs
    6 BumGenius Elemental AIOs
    2 mystery brand AIOs (hand-me-downs)

6 OS Flip covers
    6 size 1 Thirsties covers
    6 size 2 Thirsties covers (not pictured above)

6 newborn prefolds (doing disposables the first few weeks)
    18 size 1 prefolds
    18 size 2 prefolds (not pictured above)
    8 inserts (to be used with prefolds for nighttime if needed)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I get so excited when my kid poops and we have a new fold style on...still figuring out the best solution to contain this runny bf poo! Anyone else experiencing leaks at the legs? I think I may not be manipulating the folds correctly to get tight around her legs.
  • Options
    Who is already in cloth? We tried one on today and still have HUGE gaps around the legs. All ours are one-sized... Will try a different brand today but advice is greatly appreciated!