February 2017 Moms
Options

Has anyone discussed cloth diapers vs. regular diapers with their SO?

Re: Has anyone discussed cloth diapers vs. regular diapers with their SO?

• Options
    @pennylucille I went a little crazy and bought a sizable newborn stash... But I know a lot of people do disposables until the OS diapers fit.

I can only sort of justify it because I was a little 6 pound baby, so I have a good chance of a little baby (at least that's what I'm telling myself), and this is our first so there is potential to use them again for future babies.
    This is what we did for A and will do for the new baby as well. Since we do CD mostly to be cost effective, I feel like the newborns you would need so many since their having so many diapers right away but only use that size for a short amount of time. DD was little for the longest time though cause she was 5lb 9oz right away but dropped to 4lb 13oz so we could've gotten a good bit of use out of them for her. If this wasn't going to be our potential last then I might get the newborns.

Newborn ones would give me a good excuse to get cute pattern diapers though. Most of the ones we have are plain neutral colors so that way we could use for girl or a boy. No fun prints :(
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Okay, I finally caught up on this thread and every time I think I have cd down and a comprehensive list of what I need, I read something new that makes me doubt it. I need to do more research about the brands you're all using to understand if you're doing AIO, pockets or prefolds to know if I'm in the ball park. 

Anyone with CD experience have a daycare that only accepts disposables? We still want to CD at home even though we'll have to use disposables at daycare. I am going to try to build up rapport with them and see if I can convince them to accept AIO eventually...for my special snowflake of course. 
  • Options
    @Patience7150 Is there a CD store in your area where you can see the different types in person? It made a huge difference to me to be able to touch and compare the different options. 

Diapers that sound hugely different are sometimes not that big of a difference IRL. Tongue vs AIO? Not a huge difference in use. Pocket vs. Sleeve - practically the same. 

To make it easier on myself I break it down by the big differences: Does it have to be stuffed? Does it need a cover? Etc.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    So there's one cloth diaper store (that I can find) nearby. They're only open 10-4 M-F - who does that!? I actually have today off and called to see if they were open, and because their sales were so good at our state fair that just wrapped up, they're closed until SEPTEMBER 12!!! Gah! 

I think I just need to order a bunch of different stuff and have an in home review myself. 
  • Options
    @Patience7150 I ended up doing the same, so my stash is varied. I'm good with that though!
  • Options
    @Patience7150 when we toured daycares before my son was born, I brought a velcro pocket diaper (Rumparooz) and a wet bag to show them. Most were fine with it when they saw how they went on just like a disposable and they didn't have to do anything but toss it in the bag. One daycare refused to use them, so we didn't pick that one.
    (But I strongly prefer prefolds and used prefolds at home. Just had a small set of pockets for daycare).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice @FreshBakedBrownies! That's a good idea!
  • Options
    I'm bringing back this thread because I'm soooo psyched about my progress building up my stash!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Fun stuff! Is that all NB or are you going right to one-size?
  • Options
    Fun stuff! Is that all NB or are you going right to one-size?
    The far right is newborn and I'm just doing prefolds and covers for that stage. The middle is one size pockets, and the left are size 2 (the only diapers I still have from DD). 
  • Options
    @Starfish113 How many are you wanting to have in your stash? RN we have 12 pockets (one size) and 9 newborn prefolds with 3 covers. I think I need anothet day's worth of NB size and at least 12 more one size diapers (I'm thinking prefolds and covers)
  • Options
    I have 6 newborn covers and I'm gonna stop there. Still need to order prefolds for them and I'll get a bunch. For pockets and covers regular size, I won't get too much more. I have about 23 total. I got by with about this much with DD and washed every other night. I still need some nighttime and I'm sure I'll buy more because there cute and I get obsessive lol. So I think you're on the right track with 12 more pockets! What brands are you using?
  • Options
    I kind of went overboard on my stash... it is likely way larger than necessary. I started buying them while we were TTC, and now we've got plenty! 
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @xstatic3333 I've decided for no reason at all that I'm starting in December.

ETA: I see that little tots bots over there, and I have one of those in NB size and it's so tiny and squishy I wish I had more of them!
  • Options
    Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
    edited October 2016
    I think they'll be a big component of my AIO stash, @WInchesterGirl! Awesome reviews. That one was an older model on sale, but the new "Star" model is supposed to be amazing. I'm trying to find AIOs that are all or mostly natural fibers (minus the shell) since they're supposed to be easier to launder well. 
  • Options
    I got my newborns used so its a mix on brands. My pockets are 6 Mama Koalas and 6 cheapies from China my mom bought.

Our prefolds we've registered for some Grovias, osocosy and Bambino mios. 

Any recommendations for good brands would be helpful!
  • Options
    That's a good mix gretchypoo! I just got to Bambino Mios in today (the zebra and koala) to try! I've heard good things. I am partial to Thirsties brand personally but there's a lot of great stuff out there so it's good you have a mix!
  • Options
    @Xstatic3333 I'm holding out to start buying until Black Friday. I have no idea if that's something that goes on sale then, but I figured it couldn't hurt to wait and see.
  • Options
    @SawyerRichardson Black Friday is the BEST time of the year for cloth diaper sales and freebies!
  • Options
    @SawyerRichardson I've heard the black friday sales are AWESOME. Where are you buying yours? I've been looking at Kelly's closet and cotton babies.
  • Options
    I've tried Kelly's Closet, Nicki's, Green Mountain Diapers, and also a smaller store called Abby's Lane. They don't have shipping minimums so it's good for me as I build my stash slowly. 
  • Options
    That's a great idea! With DD I bought some all the time. Not even out necessity but more when I found a cute pattern or something. So I'm holding out for stuff like that knowing my stash will double by the time she's 1 haha. 
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Also, if you are looking to start your stash sooner and with sales, tons of the smaller one-off cloth diaper sites have clearance sections (I found them by googling CDs and just paging through a few pages to find smaller sites). I got a few AIOs or pockets for around $5 off random sites. I have a big variety of brands/styles in my stash, but I'm good with that.
  • Options
    Also, at the risk of a TOU violation, I'll say that lurking the CD board on Another Popular Baby Site has been very helpful. Those ladies post sales, new print releases, etc. almost immediately. They also made me aware that Blueberry is currently having supplier/manufacturer issues, which was good to know before I bought a bunch of expensive diapers thinking I was paying for quality. 
  • Options
    @Gretchypoo and @FreshBakedBrownies Oh good, that's what I was hoping for! I'm very new to the idea of CD so I was just planning on using Kelly's Closet since it was recommended on here earlier. I'll have to check out some others as well.
  • Options
    Fluff Love on FB is a super super helpful site. It gives you specific wash plans. 

I find great deals on Amazon too. If you're looking for cheap one size, there's a great selection of Alva baby diapers on there that I highly recommend!
  • Options
    Oh I also haven't bought them yet because they aren't necessary until babies sleep through the night, but the Kawaii Good Night Heavy Wetter pocket diapers are *the best* for over nights. 
  • Options
    WOW @WinchesterGirl, you have enough for multiple babies! You'll never have to do laundry!! :)
  • Options
    @starfish113 I know I went overboard, but I started stocking up when we started talking about TTC... So I had a while! Also, when you buy one or two here or there, it doesn't seem like quite so many!  :D
  • Options
    That's an amazing stash! So jealous!
  • Options
    @starfish113 I know I went overboard, but I started stocking up when we started talking about TTC... So I had a while! Also, when you buy one or two here or there, it doesn't seem like quite so many!  :D
    Oh I agree! I bought them nonstop until DD was 2... it's an addiction! :)
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl whoa!! You've got quite a bit!
    But do you have enough covers? I see some fitteds but not many covers.
  • Options
    I was able to score 33 pockets on a yard sale site for 100 bucks. They're in great shape and nobody IRL understands my excitement! 

I was planning on using disposables until she fits into one size, but now I'm getting tempted to start building a newborn stash since I spent so much less than expected on the one sizes.
  • Options
    @FreshBakedBrownies I think I'm ok on covers - I have 4 NB, and 4 OS. Everything I read said estimate one cover for 3+ fitteds. What are you guys aiming for as far as cover to fitted or prefold ratio?

@lemieuxk that is very exciting!! People IRL mostly do not understand the cloth diaper excitement... But think of how many disposables you don't have to buy!

@Xstatic3333 I agree, I do not like the smell of sposies. I bought some for a baby shower last month and maybe it's pregnancy nose, but wow they have a strong smell!