October 2016 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 07.25.2016

Re: Weekly Randoms 07.25.2016

• Options
    I know @bnsmith85, and I didn't even think about all the germs from family members!  All I was thinking about was germs from other passengers on the plane/airport.  You know?  I'm conflicted too. :(
  • Options
    We host thanksgiving. Might pass that off this year.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @annabenanna we're planning to have my parents and in-laws over for thanksgiving and then bring the baby to visit my family in NY for the first time over Christmas.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @annabenanna Christmas is MY holiday, so I agreed to stay home and do Thanksgiving with DH's family this year. It'll probably be easier with the new baby anyway and not a lot of people will be around for the germ factor. The only reason we would leave is to see my grandfather and we are kind of planning to go see him a couple weeks after the baby anyway since he can't travel. Should be pretty low key for us this year! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    @nlane0723 , it's the perfect excuse to not host this year!

@LGW2015, Christmas in NY with a brand new baby sounds so dreamy!!!  

@ibabyloveb87, I think it will be a relatively low key Thanksgiving for us this year too...except we may go camping.  Ha.  Wonder what that'll be like postpartum!
  • Options
    @krzyriver DH is a Lions fans as well! I'm a Rams fan but we are from CT. We travel out to Detriot every season... This will be the first one we won't be out there for in 4 yrs. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married 11-11-11
    TTC only since Dec 2015. I had some weight to get off. Been working hard in the gym for over a year.
    BFP 02-15-16 with our first
    IT'S A BOY!!! 

• Options
    I've been stressing a bit about Thanksgiving too. We hosted last year and it was a hit. We are considering "hosting" again this year (basically just offering up our home and kitchen and letting my mom and MIL do most of the cooking!) It feels a little overwhelming to think about having people at our house, but I'll only be about 3 weeks PP and the thought of traveling to someone else's house with a newborn sounds more stressful to me! I am torn!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    nlane0723 said:
    We host thanksgiving. Might pass that off this year.
    We do too. Not this year though! If my mom wants to do it, great, but I'm not cleaning and cooking for a million people with an infant. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    @nlane0723 We usually host too. Now that my parents are back in town, I might use the baby as an excuse to skip Thanksgiving with my in-laws. Neither my husband or I enjoy spending holidays with them. 

@sportiegrl1213 How cool! My husband has never been to a Lions game before, so I might surprise him with tickets for a date night post-baby!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    F47F47 member
    We hosted Thanksgiving for the first time last year. I think we'll do it again this year, and I'll just rely on my family to bring more food and help with clean up. I can sneak away upstairs for quiet time with baby after stuffing my face. Sounds ideal, actually.  ;)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanksgiving in Canada is October 10 - which is my due date, and my mom is the one that usually hosts, so she's trying to figure out when to plan it because who knows when I'll go into labor.  I told her to go ahead and plan it for thanksgiving (usually we do it the Sunday, so the 9th) but just invite family and make sure they're all aware that I'm due that weekend so if I end up going, she can cancel it without feeling guilty 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @annabenanna We're flying to Austin for thanksgiving... it's the first time in YEARS that the entire family will be together, plus my sister in law is due 3 weeks after me and they're in Austin. IF this guy stays put until his due date (which I don't think he will partially just have a feeling and partially because of GD), he'll be 2 months by then. I'm super nervous about flying with an infant, but luckily it's only a 2.5 hr flight. We'll get those special baby earmuff/headphones and grin and bare it. 

Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    I'm typically the Supreme Grand Master Coordinator of holiday plans. I would really like to go on hiatus this year, but I'm pretty sure the family structure would collapse if I did... I think I'm going to pass the buck to my sister this year, sink or swim I say! 
  • Options
    ok time to catch up: 

i I felt like absolute garbage after my glucose and passed. I had a horrendous headache and toughed it out through work

i just use whatever sunscreen but my skin is definitely more sensitive 

I host all the holidays which I actually prefer. I make all the sides in crock pots for 2 days beforehand and just reheat. 

and all our fave teams suck so we are good to go :) 
  • Options
    @annabenanna I hadn't even thought about thanksgiving! I'm still stuck trying to figure out a Halloween costume :smile:

I think we'll probably just go to my parents house as usual. It's only about an hour away. Plus everyone that will be there will probably have met the baby by then. My dad has some health issues so we're all already used to being cautious around germs. Anyone with any symptoms stays home. 
  • Options
    I felt fine after my one hour and failed, so I think it really depends on the person. 

For thanksgiving, we go to my parents' house in the same town, then drive 30 minutes to his step mom's mom's. He got a supervisor position at work this year though, so we aren't sure if he will have to go in for Black Friday prep at night. So I guess we won't figure out our plans until his schedule is posted 1.5 weeks in advance (ridiculous). We'll definitely go to my family, but his will depend on his work schedule. If we don't see them Thursday, we will likely go Friday instead. 
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited July 2016
    @LGW2015- I like that plan! And when I say have them over, I mean I'll get the Honey Baked Ham and alcohol then let my mom and MIL take care of sides. I'll also probably reach out to the cleaning ladies to have them come before hand sometime that week... So minimal work on my part. Lol

ETA- got Ella's first kiddie float which will be doubling as my belly holder at the beach tomorrow! Thanks for the suggestion lady!
  • Options
    I thought about just telling people to bring a dish and still hosting but I honestly don't want to deal with my MIL and she's much less likely to accept an invitation from my mom. #sorrynotsorry

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    @bnsmith85  Sounds like my kinda thanksgiving! 

Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    Apparently first trimester cravings have returned and there was nothing stopping me from getting a blizzard tonight. Not even The Bachelorette. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    We are skipping thanksgiving I think. I'll be sad to miss my family, but it'll be nice to not have to see my crazy inlaws. MIL has a tendency to not tell anyone that someone is at her house and sick until we show up because she knows I will cancel on her. It really depends on when baby comes, but I'm working under the assumption she will be late and only like 2-3 weeks old. It will also be the first holiday we will have ever spent alone if we do stay home.

My random: I failed the damn 1 hour test. I don't have a sitter for DS and the 3 hour has to be done during a weekday so he has to come with me. I can't keep that toddler sitting still and entertained for 15 minutes some days!
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    My in-laws live in Hawaii and are coming to stay with us at Thanksgiving. So, I'm hosting even though I specifically requested NOT to. 
    Football is huge here in Oklahoma and I'm a big fan as well. If my placenta cooperates and this baby stays on schedule, I'll give birth the Friday after OU/Texas. That means I won't disturb other moms in the hospital by yelling at the TV.  :#
  • Options
    We alternate years - if we do Thanksgiving day with his family, we do Christmas Day with mine. However, we usually see both families for Christmas at least (one Christmas Eve, one Christmas day). Both of our parents live in the same town 30 minutes away. Sometimes - for example, last year - we drove four hours to spend Christmas with his family at his brother's house. I am not doing that this year for either holiday. Presumably his parents will host Thanksgiving and we'll take the baby (I think we can do 30 minutes away, but obviously we'll see) and we'll take the baby to both grandparents for Christmas, but NOT for the four-hour trip. It won't be extended family, although it's possible that our three nephews and niece will be there - I hope that's not too germy for the baby.

• Options
    We spend thanksgiving with his family every year (they live in the same town, mine live 9 hours away) and rotate Christmas. This year I told everyone we weren't traveling so they can come to us. His family sometimes likes to go to Alabama for thanksgiving so I had to say no to travel. This year my parents will come down to see us and we will all celebrate together. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @krzyriver@sportiegrl1213  H and I are Lions fans and can't wait to finally get to Ford Field.. hopefully next year! 
    I also am crazy for fantasy football and cannot wait to get my draft done and football to start. Originally H was in a league and I was able to follow along and learn enough to get in my own league and I am hooked!  It makes watching the games that much more exciting when your rooting for your hand picked players. It's also predominantly men who play but I strongly encourage you gals to give it a go if you enjoy watching NFL games.
    Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    amye102485amye102485 member
    edited July 2016
    My parents live next door and my husband's family lives 20 minutes away, but I still don't want to visit for thanksgiving. People on his side can be a bit pushy about holding a baby and I don't want him get sick! I already know I'm going to have waaaay to many visitors at the hospital when he's born, so I'm hoping to avoid thanksgiving this year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @brzvice A few years ago I was SO into football that I really wanted to join a fantasy league, but I just didn't have the time. Probably didn't know quite enough anyway, but I figured it would be a good way to learn. Now I can barely follow the season cause I'm even busier. I don't even know who plays for what team anymore.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @annabenanna My husband's family is in Alaska, my family is in Wisconsin and we live about halfway in between.  We usually switch off - Thanksgiving with my family and Christmas with his one year, Thanksgiving with his family and Christmas with his the next - but we have no desire to be on a four-hour flight with a two-month-old on the busiest travel holiday of the year, and we can't go to one side for Christmas and skip the other at Thanksgiving, so we're just staying home for both holidays this year.  We might offer to host any friends who are in the area and don't have family, but more likely, we'll just celebrate as the four of us.  I'm actually kind of looking forward to it.
  • Options
    kmtz89kmtz89 member
    I didn't even think about thanksgiving! We usually have a small-ish expat get together. I loved last years and I'm bummed to think about missing it. We'll see I guess!... 

In Tanzania, a woman who has given birth is suppose to stay inside the house for 3 months! I def don't think I will be able to comply to that but at the same time as a FTM I have no idea how long I will feel like crap. Haha.
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • Options
    With DS I definitely wanted to back out of holidays. This year, after having experienced a newborn (and knowing they are hard AF much of the time) I look forward to letting someone else do the baby while I have wine.

@kmolleltz - I love the way other countries' traditions are so different from the minimal, boot and rally way the US treats new moms. That said, getting out of the house in those first 3 months was really nice some days. It's hard. Of course, I will probably not leave the house for like a year after this baby is born, because baby + toddler now.
  • Options
    Our hope for both holidays this year is that family will come stay with us, but help out on the meal prep or be really laid back about it.  We're usually really into cooking but I don't think so this year!  We'd have to fly to get to my parents house and drive three hours to get to my in laws.  I would rather just stay home where we already have all the stuff we need to take care of baby and are comfortable!  I get stressed out by clutter, noise, and business.  Last year at my in laws for xmas there were 6 people (plus more for dinner) and 4 dogs in a smaller house than ours.  I'm so not bringing a newborn into that mix!
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    emmaaaemmaaa member
    Glucose test: I didn't hate the drink (I just chugged it as fast as I could to get it over with). I felt fine the rest of the day. During my one hour wait, I was thirsty, and I was definitely ready to eat by the time my appointment was over. I passed mine but I think it varies for everyone.

Fall Sports: I'm a Braves fan so obviously I'm not worried about them being in playoffs in October. DH is a Red Sox fan and while he's optimistic they could be, we'll just wait and see. We love college football (NC State fans) and are hoping to go to at least one game before the baby comes. If there is a game on that day, I'm sure it will be playing on the TV. MIL is a huge UNC fan and keeps insisting the baby is going to wear all this Carolina stuff and she is going to buy us Carolina stuff. I just told her that I can't control how she decorates the baby's room at her house or what she dresses her in when she is watching her, but as for me and my house, she will not wear anything UNC. 

Holidays: We are lucky that we live close to both of our families. For Thanksgiving, we do lunch with DH's family and supper with my Dad's family. Usually we do something with my mom's family the Saturday after Thanksgiving (I usually work but will still be out this year). I have no clue what we will do for Christmas. We are usually all over the place starting Christmas Eve and Christmas Day but I told DH last year that we would have to re-evaluate how we will do it this year. DH's family usually does breakfast Christmas morning but his grandpa isn't doing the best so it will depend on if he is still alive (that sounds so morbid) at Christmas if we do that or not. 
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

@CopperBoom86 CARSON TIDE!!!! Totally stealing this name!

Okay, not really, but that's pretty funny. I don't particularly have anything against people naming their kids after athletes and coaches, but make it an actual person's name... like Bryant, or Nick, or DeMeco (as in DeMeco Ryans, my favorite Bama linebacker)... but not Tide, come on. I'm more of keeping those non-people names to pets- having a dog named Tide or Bear or Crimson is pretty cute... but not your son.

Also, I am one of those Bama fans that some people might find annoying, but I think I'm pretty in the middle. I like to talk about football, watch football, keep up with the season, go to party-watching games and tailgates, have Bama-themed clothes and toys for Baby, etc. But I wouldn't miss a friend's wedding because of a game. I'd just check the scores on my phone during the reception, no big deal.

I think living in the South makes college football just part of the culture. And with any aspect of culture you can either take it or leave it, or go too far. So I try to be somewhere in the middle. I'm due the weekend of the Bama/TexasA&M game. Oy.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Sports: We are pretty strictly hockey people, and hockey will have theoretically just started. There are no games (that we would watch) on my due date, but we'll see. Luckily this isn't playoff season or I know the TV would be on and muted while I was in labor lol.

Holidays: DD's dad is not DH, and DD's dad's parents are split up, so she has 5 sets of families to see every holiday. We do NOT do all of them on the actual holiday, like ever.

Thanksgiving is with my mom's family on the day, my dad's and DH's family do it on a different day, mostly because of work schedules of different family members.

Poor DD usually does have to be toted around town with her Dad to see his family, but I just remind her how lucky she is to have so much family. Plus her dad is a cop and works 2nd shift, so she's usually home by 2:30 anyway (unless the holiday falls on his day off, then we cross that bridge when we have to).

Christmas we don't leave the house (except DD goes with her dad for a while). When I was a kid, we never left the house and celebrated on a different day with extended family, and I loved it. I didn't even have to get dressed on Christmas unless I wanted to, and I love being able to give my kids that.
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • Options
    Our son's name will be Owen Daniel P... A few days after finalizing the middle name, I looked at H and said, didn't Owen Daniels used to be a Ravens player? Nobody's going to think we named our kid after a football player, right? (H is a huge Ravens fan.) he said, oh no- he was traded a couple years ago so nobody will remember. We've gotten the question at least 5 times.... "Hey, wasn't that a Ravens tight end??" Sigh...
  • Options
    @kmolleltz THAT'S SUCH AMAZING NEWS!!! I'm so excited for you! 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16