October 2016 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 07.25.2016

Re: Weekly Randoms 07.25.2016

• Options
    @mizzkbrat that is AWESOME.
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 my MFM told me I could lay out and sunbathe all I want. The reason for no hot baths/saunas is because it essentially gives the bebes a fever by raising their body temp. That's the same reason you can use heating pads on your back instead of your front. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @CopperBoom86 - it has to with the ingredients in most sunscreens. Baby sunscreens have physical blockers like zinc oxide. The benefit to this is that it can't be absorbed into your blood stream, while the other stuff can. Studies are inconclusive over what effect (if any) it has on developing baby, so I really use it out of an abundance of caution. 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Options
    @CopperBoom86 - it has to with the ingredients in most sunscreens. Baby sunscreens have physical blockers like zinc oxide. The benefit to this is that it can't be absorbed into your blood stream, while the other stuff can. Studies are inconclusive over what effect (if any) it has on developing baby, so I really use it out of an abundance of caution. 
    Oh no, now I'm paranoid because most of my makeup (a tinted NARS moisturizer and a Lancome liquid foundation) has built in SPF in it.  It's basically what I rely on for my daily sun coverage.  

Going to the beach is another story.  I'll just use whatever sunblock is available.  

So oh no on both accounts.  
  • Options
    CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
    edited July 2016
    @missteacherlady16 - Gotcha. I don't go out in the sun much cuz ginger, but when I do, I just use regular ol' Banana Boat SPF 30. I've only lathered up maybe 3 times this summer, so hopefully that minimal exposure won't affect the baby. 

ETA: I didn't think about makeup, @annabenanna! I know my Clinique foundation and powder both have SPF, as well as the daily moisturizer I use. Yikes!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    emmaaaemmaaa member
    @bnsmith85 I was at the beach this past weekend and spent 1 hour in the sun and got super burnt. I lathered myself in sunscreen (not baby sunscreen, I didn't know that) and got under the umbrella after the first hour. I went to bed that night realizing how burnt I was. Now, I'm a ginger, so super fair to begin with, but usually don't burn THAT easily. Just stay hydrated and try not to get burnt.

The weird thing for me was that I can normally "feel" when I am getting burnt, but this time I felt fine until a few hours later.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Anybody reading or listening to any good pregnancy/baby blogs or podcasts? I listen to, and love, The Longest Shortest Time, but have been pretty underwhelmed with others I have tried. 
  • Options
    @scostel2, have not been listening to any podcasts or reading baby blogs (except for the occasional ScaryMommy articles)... I'm gonna look for The Longest Shortest Time!  Thank you for sharing! 
  • Options
    @CopperBoom86 and @annabenanna

my non-professional opinion on built in spf is that it's probably a non-issue because it's really a small amount versus going to the beach and applying to your whole body. Fwiw, I still use a facial moisturizer with spf under my makeup but if I'm going to the beach, use the other stuff.

And again, no conclusive studies on this. Most women probably aren't even aware so I wouldn't get too paranoid :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

• Options
    I use zinc sunscreen to whiten my foundation because it's too dark for my complexion. But I recently stopped using the other sunscreen on my arms, with oxybenzone, because I got scared. Haven't found a replacement yet (and don't like the way the baby sunscreen makes my arms look all chalky).

So today in the hall this guy (seemingly another instructor, but one I don't know) told me "You should look happy and excited." I guess because I'm pregnant? I told him "But it's summer and it's hot." I mean really... that's the same as telling women to smile.

Some people have been nicer to me. My cashier at Walmart the other day was extremely solicitous - it was almost too much. (I live in Texas.)

• Options
    @annabenanna The older episodes of The Longest Shortest Time are about pregnancy/early parenting, now it's more generally parenting but it's still good. I really like Hillary, the woman who makes the show. 
  • Options
    I am so done with this whole "working" shit that I've officially resorted to counting down the periods in a day (the day is set up into 8 classes/periods plus lunch).  Trying to look at how many weeks or days I have left just seems too long, so I'm taking one day at a time and trying to survive each period.  My kid I'm supporting is doing a lot better this week after Friday's meltdown, but it's just getting harder to move around and sit for long periods.  By the end of the day my feet, ankles and back are sore/swollen and I'm hungry, hot and tired, yet can't sleep.  Naps!! Where are you?!? I miss you dearly!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    bamacoopbamacoop member
    edited July 2016

@CopperBoom86 Ugh, I know what you mean about the football dates. (Same with Fall weddings!)

My sister had my nephew in September years ago. Her in-laws made it perfectly clear that if she was going to be dumb enough to give birth on a weekend, they wouldn't be coming to see the baby because they have Auburn season tickets. I mean come on, how rude of her to interrupt their game schedule!

Thankfully I think most of my family and the people I know are more....low key about football. I LOVE Alabama football, as does all my family, but my parents realize that the baby will only come once and Bama football will still continue to be there.

Also (the same with people who won't come to weddings of their really close friends and relatives on game days) with living in 2016 everyone literally has the ability to watch the game wherever they go- on their phone, on the hospital waiting room TV, on the hospital room TV, in the restaurant bar next door, literally anywhere. Just suck it up and be a decent human being and not let a GAME (a game I love too, but come on!) be such a big deal when we're talking about someone bringing a flipping PERSON into the world!

End rant. Also: Roll Tide!

Edit to add: I haven't even checked the schedule yet, what the heck! I need to get on that... I'll want to be watching the game while in the hospital too!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have this fantasy that the O's will be in the playoffs and I'll be able to watch them play while in labor. I mean, they have TV's in there for a reason! 

I got married on Sunday in the fall and didn't even think about football season. Luckily, the day we got married, the Ravens played at 8:30 PM and our reception ended at 8. People were very grateful we "scheduled around the game", really, it was an accident. Good thing though because our venue had no TVs!

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options

I'm going to the pool on Friday and have been a couple times this summer. I don't know what the deal is with my skin, but I only used a sunscreen #4 or #8 and got basically NO tan, even being outside in the sun for literally hours and hours with no sunscreen reapplied. My poor British husband, whose skin is basically like "sun? what is this 'sun' of which you speak?" got burned both times. Ouch.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm sure someone has asked this already somewhere but I figured the weekly randoms would be an ok place to ask a repeat question. Did anyone else feel really crummy after their glucose tolerance test? If so, did you still pass the test? I'm not asking for any medical advice or anything like that. I will know for sure when I get the results. I'm just wondering about other expirences.
  • Options
    bamacoop said:

Thankfully I think most of my family and the people I know are more....low key about football. I LOVE Alabama football, as does all my family, but my parents realize that the baby will only come once and Bama football will still continue to be there.

Also (the same with people who won't come to weddings of their really close friends and relatives on game days) with living in 2016 everyone literally has the ability to watch the game wherever they go- on their phone, on the hospital waiting room TV, on the hospital room TV, in the restaurant bar next door, literally anywhere. Just suck it up and be a decent human being and not let a GAME (a game I love too, but come on!) be such a big deal when we're talking about someone bringing a flipping PERSON into the world!

End rant. Also: Roll Tide!

Thankfully, most of our family and friends are low key about it, as well. My family more so than DH's. His family are Alabama fans and are a little more fanatical about it. He actually has a cousin named Carson Tide Lastname. *Insert eyeroll here*

I 100% agree with you about the bolded. Some people's priorities are pretty f'ed up. We got married on a Saturday in October and had several people complain about missing PARTS of games. Tough. Shit.

War Eagle! ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ibabyloveb87ibabyloveb87 member
    edited July 2016
    @NicholeL16 I felt fine after my one hour but was really shaky and weird feeling after the 3 hour. I had a snack right after but still felt bad. Once I had a meal, I was fine again. 

Edit: I passed the 3 hour. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    @NicholeL16 - I felt like utter shit for the rest of the day after my one hour and I passed. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Kaytee1087Kaytee1087 member
    edited July 2016
     @NicholeL16 I felt AWFUL all day. Hardly any appetite, hot on and off, headache, the works. Totally thought I failed because of how utterly terrible I felt. I passed with flying colors. Good luck on yours!!

(edited because it tried to make my whole post a hyperlink...?)
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • Options
    @NicholeL16 I recall many ladies feeling like poo after theirs but still passing, so I'd say it's common. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I feel awful! I'm so ready to be home in bed. Glad that doesn't seem to be a direct reflection of passing/failing. 
  • Options
    What kind of awful are we talking about? Like, okay to work through? I wouldn't be concerned at all but I have a kickoff meeting with a new business partner and prefer to be on my A game for those if possible. First impressions and all lol
  • Options
    My head hurts, I feel nauseous, and I'm hot and sweaty. I had to rush to a court hearing for work when I finished my appointment but I think I pulled it together ok. I'm in my office doing computer work now. My job is very demanding so I don't really have time to rest/recover when I need to.
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 - I felt tired and nauseated for the rest of the day. I stopped at Chick-fil-a to grab some lunch after my test and I couldn't make it through my sandwich because my stomach was so unsettled. I will say I reeeeeaaaallllyyyy hated the drink so maybe that's what made me so nauseated. I drank it before I drove to my appointment and I had to keep DH on the phone the whole way out there to keep my mind off of it. TMI warning: I definitely threw up in my mouth twice, but I choked it back down because I knew I'd have to start all over again if I threw up. Maybe if you don't mind the drink too much, which I know some people don't, your experience won't be so bad. 

In regards to your meeting, I think you'll probably be fine. I went back to work and stayed all day. It wasn't exactly fun, but I was "fine." 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I felt fine after mine- a little hangry and thirsty, buy I believe that is due mostly to that fact that I was told "No" rather than actually wanting or needing food or beverage. 
  • Options
    Yeah I'm the weirdo who kind of liked the drink! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited July 2016
    I felt fine after mine. It gave me wicked heartburn so maybe take a Zantac before you drink it because you can't take tums or drink water for the hour after. I was fine the rest of the day. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    Welp.....if sunscreen is gonna hurt my baby, then the doctors here need to advise this way earlier for those of us pregnant in the summer. We live at the beach after all. They just say use sunscreen sooooooo oh well. I'm sure the benefits outweigh the negatives. 

Again, like I said, no conclusive studies. I just use the other stuff out of an abundance of caution :) 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

• Options
    @annabenanna and @copperboom86 My doctor's advice when I asked about face wash and cosmetics was that while he advises pregnant women to stay away from unnecessary chemicals as much as possible, you'd probably have to slather your whole body in moisturizer or makeup containing sunblock multiple times a day  (or drink them) for the chemicals to have a noticeable effect.  Also, I love The Longest Shortest Time!
  • Options
    I wasn't sure where to post this, because it relates to breast-feeding, registry stuff, and other things, but for those of you who didn't know (like me), Babies R Us has some free classes and events with free samples. There is a "Registry Completion" event coming up I think on Sunday in some locations (it says the store is closed for 2 hours for people who registered to shop and use their completion discounts). And there are breast-feeding classes on what seems like a pretty regular basis too. You can sign up at babiesrus.com/events
  • Options
    I felt like shit after my test. I was SO tired I thought I was going to pass out right there in the Dr's office. I failed, but I hear A LOT of women feel like crap and still pass. 

My WHOLE family is VERY into football and DH and I are the black sheep that don't care about it. I'm actually pretty anti-football, just because it seems like my family's lives revolve around football season. It's hard to just have a conversation and spend time with them in the fall. So I'm really hoping the baby comes during a really big game just to spite them lol. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    I'm more worried about playoff baseball. Baby girl will wear a Cardinals outfit before an Astros outfit though. I will make sure of that before her daddy gets a hold of her! 

We we actually made a bet that whichever team was in the playoffs got to dress her in that first. Last year both teams were in the playoffs so it would be based on record. 
  • Options
    MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited July 2016
    @mizzkbrat We have an O's onesie we plan to take to the hospital. Hopefully the O's are in the playoffs which I'm confident they will be. I'm more worried he'll be too big to fit in the new born size!

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    @mizzkbrat and @MRSCORKER We are huge Rangers fans and I thought there was a possibility of playoffs being a birthing conflict. Things seem to be going in a different direction right now though.
  • Options
    @ibabyloveb87 I gave up the sunscreen because I was wearing it to drive to work. If I were actually going to be outside more than strictly required, it would probably be worth it. 

• Options
    What are you guys planning for Thanksgiving?  For those who don't have family in town, are you traveling/flying with the baby?

We booked flights to Atlanta through Southwest but we are about 99% sure we are not going because baby won't have his immunizations yet.  So we thought about doing a local roadtrip or a camping trip.  Not sure about camping 5-6 weeks postpartum.  lol.  
  • Options
    I'm conflicted on that @annabenanna... I'm going to want to see family and the fam will want to see Ella, but she's still going to be so tiny and that's a lot of passing around. Plus I'll only be one month PP... We'll see