August 2016 Moms
Options

All Things Postpartum!

Re: All Things Postpartum!

• Options
    This thread is so long I couldn't read through the whole thing with LO, so my apologies if this has been asked before...

I have a 2nd degree perineal tear. Before I left the hospital I had little to no bleeding. Now that im home and walking around, being more active ill sit or move certain ways that i can feel a tugging/splitting feeling. Not painful, just noticeable, and my bleeding has started to slightly increase in that area. 

I plan to call the dr today and ask if I should come in, but just wondering if this has happened to any of you, and did your stitches ever need to be redone (which is what I'm dreading) 
  • Options
    @CaitlinJ22 Not sure what's happening with your Exact situation obviously but I will say that once you get home and start moving around slittle more you do bleed a little more and depending on your activity level a lot more. If you're experiencing pain I would call. The bleeding for me the first time (that involved a tear) and the second time (that didn't involve a tear) fluctuated and all depended on my activity level. Listen to your body and if you feel concerned call your Dr.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @CaitlinJ22 Definitely go see your doctor if you're worried, but wanted to say that I can't remember the exact feelings from when I had a tear, but even now with only 4 stitches and no tear I feel tugging. It's mostly when I go to sit down or I've been standing or walking a lot, which then increases my bleeding too. Hopefully, it's nothing to worry about. 
  • Options
    @CaitlinJ22 I have a second degree also. Bleeding for me ebbs and flows with activity level. It definitely picks up as I do more. It is also heavier when he cluster feeds. Mine was achy, but now on day 8 feels pretty normal.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @caitlinj187 I also had a second degree tear and have felt lots of tugging/pulling sensations.  I had my follow-up appointment today (5 weeks pp) and apparently I had pulled out a stitch.  She asked me why I didn't come in sooner, and I said that I presumed discomfort was normal.  Apparently it should not continue to be painful for this long.  

I had to get another stitch today and am now not cleared for any physical exercise or sex for two more weeks.  So trust yourself!  If you think you need to go back in, I'd recommend going back in.

I'm super bummed that I have to wait two more weeks now because I was trying to tough it out.  Turns out, not worth it.  Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to see the dr to just make sure it's all good, even if it is just a sanity check!
  • Options
    Just got back from the Dr. My stitches did give away a bit, but since it's not a fresh wound dr said he wants to just let it heal as is because if he tried to re-stitch it will probably give away again. He said as long as it doesn't become infected, everything will heal perfectly fine.

the thing is that DH sees my lady bits more than I do, and after having him watch what I even through (pregnancy/labor/recovery) he can just suck it up if it's not the same. Also, added bonus, maybe I won't tear as much when I inevitably go through birth #2 down the road!!!
  • Options
    Just got back from the Dr. My stitches did give away a bit, but since it's not a fresh wound dr said he wants to just let it heal as is because if he tried to re-stitch it will probably give away again. He said as long as it doesn't become infected, everything will heal perfectly fine.

the thing is that DH sees my lady bits more than I do, and after having him watch what I even through (pregnancy/labor/recovery) he can just suck it up if it's not the same. Also, added bonus, maybe I won't tear as much when I inevitably go through birth #2 down the road!!!
    Hey! You go girl for knowing something was off! And even more for going in and being seen! Glad everything is ok. With my first I tore and second I didn't, maybe you'll be the same.
  • Options
    I'm 5 weeks PP and breastfeeding & I'm pretty sure I have started my period already! I consistently bled for 4 wks after delivery, then it stopped. For the past couple of days the bleeding has returned. Everything feels fine down there, the bleeding isn't as heavy as a regular period was prior to pregnancy but it seems crazy early for my monthly friend to have already returned! Has anyone else already started their periods?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    TMI but with a third degree tear, my dh looked at my lady bits and thinks my vaginal canal looks crooked? Sheesh, thanks dude something else to stress about. I go back to the doctor in a week, but anyone else "see" an issue like this?
  • Options
    I am 4 weeks pp and cold all the time. At night I am getting so cold I need 3 blankets, and we have been having a heat wave.  Anyone else?
  • Options
    liljabee said:
    I am 4 weeks pp and cold all the time. At night I am getting so cold I need 3 blankets, and we have been having a heat wave.  Anyone else?
    That was me the first 2 or 3 weeks pp. Shaking and everything. 
  • Options
    I'm so upset. Bleeding finally stopped a couple days ago. I'm pretty sure I got my period this morning. Only 5 weeks pp, and ebf, I thought I'd have a little longer! 
  • Options
    @liljabee i freeze all the time too!  I miss my little internal heater lol. 
  • Options
    I'm so jealous of all you chilly ladies! I'm like a furnace most of the time, especially at night!

• Options
    @liljabee I am always freezing after MOTN feeds. I get back into bed and curl up under two blankets. And then I wake up an hour later drenched in sweat. DH swears it's a comfortable temperature in our room. Fun times! 
  • Options
    @Stephanie7693 that stinks!!! I'm around the same time frame as you and I've been having period like cramps for the past 3 days and was wondering if my period was/is coming too. I'm also EBF. I guess we'll see...
  • Options
    I'm 2 weeks PP and severely constipated. Throughout my whole pregnancy and even before I never had a problem and would go even 2 times a day. Now since giving birth everything seems to have slowed down there and is more painful when I go. What is the deal with this? Does anyone else have this issue> 
  • Options
    Same here! @liljabee I wonder why? or if its due to low iron level's after delivery and lack of sleep in general. 

• Options
    Same here! @liljabee I wonder why? or if its due to low iron level's after delivery and lack of sleep in general. 

I have had to take 400 mg of colace a day to go since delivery. My OB wants me to take it until I'm fully healed. I'm also drinking tons of water, eating fiber, and that activia yogurt. I was so constipated my first week PP that I ended up having to use a supository. Since then, it has been so much better. Have you tried any of those things? 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• Options
    Totally embarrassing, but is anyone else dealing with hemorrhoids? If so, how often do you have bright red blood with your bm?  I'm not sure if I need a stool softener or if I should see a doctor. And I'm afraid to google my symptoms 
  • Options
    ballofmeatballofmeat member
    edited August 2016
    Curls919 said:
    Totally embarrassing, but is anyone else dealing with hemorrhoids? If so, how often do you have bright red blood with your bm?  I'm not sure if I need a stool softener or if I should see a doctor. And I'm afraid to google my symptoms 
    I had them through my entire third trimester. I used to have bloody BMs all the time. Nothing too bloody, more period like spotting. I'm taking 300 mg of colace a day to keep things going. It's working like a charm. I also drank milk of magnesia to get things moving if it had been a few days while pregnant. 

Oh also tucks pads! I would layer some up back there after I went to the bathroom all the time. Those were a life saver! 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• Options
    I'm 2 weeks PP and severely constipated. Throughout my whole pregnancy and even before I never had a problem and would go even 2 times a day. Now since giving birth everything seems to have slowed down there and is more painful when I go. What is the deal with this? Does anyone else have this issue> 
    I didn't take my stool softener one day soon after birth and had a very painful bowl movement, now it's very painful to poop and even hurts quite a bit shortly afterwards for a while. It sucks since it is scary to go now. I'm trying to drink lots more water, eat more veg and take sitz baths but not sure how long it will take to heal. Those measures are at least helping some, at first it was like pooping glass.  

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Does anyone who had a straight catheter during an epi end up with urethra pain? I already had a UTI check with negative results, but I'm having bruising/tugging pain intermittently that is more uncomfortable than the stitches! 
  • Options
    @caitlinj187 YES, so glad to know I'm not the only one! Mine hurt a lot at 2 weeks postpartum, now at 3 weeks it's mostly gone but I still get that tugging feeling every once in a while. 
  • Options
    Those who have or are formula feeding, how long did it take for you to stop leaking? I'm 3 weeks postpartum and it's gone for the most part but sometimes I'll randomly feel wetness and look down at my shirt to see a wet spot but then nothing for a few days. 
  • Options
    @BrunetteBabe722 I'll be 3 weeks PP Thursday and I'm still leaking a little bit. I wish it would stop because I'm so tired of wearing a bra 24/7. 
  • Options
    @BrunetteBabe722 it's super annoying! Sometimes I stand up and feel like I have to just chill for a while before I start walking. I hope it starts to subside soon, because other than that I'm feeling pretty good at 9 days PP
  • Options
    @midwestbaby thank you I'm going to try what you suggested! 

Anyone else notice they are sweating way more? I'm also breastfeeding so I wonder if it has to do with this
  • Options
    @terezakatarina I'm definitely sweating more, noticeably at night! I wake up to nurse and I'm covered in sweat, then I get out of bed and I need to grab my robe because I'm freezing cold. So weird. 
  • Options
    @terezakatarina yes definitely sweating a lot here. Even in a freezing cold house.  Walked my 5 year old to school today and back which was a little over a mile.  I was drenched when I got back.  It was only 75 outside this morning.  I also have the same problem as @caitlinj187 and will get freezing cold after a hot flash.  Real annoying.  
  • Options
    I didn't go back and read this whole thread, but is there a secret to getting the feet/ankle swelling to go down other than drinking lots of water? I didn't have any swelling during pregnancy but 6 days PP and it's out of control. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @BrunetteBabe722 just a quick update in case you are still feeling any of the urethra pains, my OB called today and said even though the quick office screening was negative, the lab results showed positive for a UTI!  

Thank god, I thought I was being a recovery wimp, but I hoping to feel sooo much better in a few days!
  • Options
    @tisunge602 Fluids and getting up and walking around helped me. I'm 4w pp and almost all of my swelling has gone.
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I think I'm going to get my period soon. Slight cramping even when I am not nursing DD at week 8 PP! 

Also, I get kind of nauseous lately (no, we haven't even DTD so that can't be it).

• Options
    @midwestbaby thank you I'm going to try what you suggested! 

Anyone else notice they are sweating way more? I'm also breastfeeding so I wonder if it has to do with this
    Just sweated while breastfeeding. Weird.
  • Options
    AliKay20 said:
    Hmmmm, I think I'm going to get my period soon. Slight cramping even when I am not nursing DD at week 8 PP! 

Also, I get kind of nauseous lately (no, we haven't even DTD so that can't be it).

I was nauseous every day until like yesterday, at almost a month PP, and I still have to eat every time I breastfeed/pump or I feel pukey. I blame hormones.
  • Options
    @tisunge602 Fluids and getting up and walking around helped me. I'm 4w pp and almost all of my swelling has gone.
    Been walking around a lot  (hello, toddler!) but I definitely could be drinking more water. Thanks.