August 2016 Moms
Options

All Things Postpartum!

A place to tell it all exactly how it is. Let's hear it -- the good, the bad, the ugly. Questions/concerns related to postpartum also welcome! We are all in this together and we all know this stage may NOT be all rainbows and butterflies (cue the face, Jenna):

Re: All Things Postpartum!

• Options
    First thing I thought of for selfish reasons....I was annoyed that I couldn't immediately sleep on my belly when I got home from the hospital with DD, it was still too uncomfortable for a couple weeks.  
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I had Ds2, (6+ years ago) the nurses would rip open a diaper and fill it with ice for me to sit on/wear like a pad... it was amazing! 
  • Options
    Burning boobs. This better be so temporary. AGHHHHH!!! I spoke to the NICU lactation consultant today. She told me to put warm moist towel on my boobs for 5 mins before I pump and gently massage around my nipples to open up my milk ducts. 

After pumping, put cold towel or ice pack on my boobs and this should make me feel better.

Maybe this takes time but I did all that today at each pump session but as I lie here in bed, all I can feel is the fullness of boobs and tiny invisible needles poking them all at once. 
  • Options
    @AliKay20- Medela makes nipple shells that are like little domes for your nips.  They were my saving grace when I had DS.  My nipples burned so much when anything touched them and these shells basically keep anything from touching them.   https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/102/softshells-for-sore-nipples

I wore them in my bra so I wasn't so oddly shaped with them on.

• Options
    For Dermoplast- is it better to get one kind over the other (blue can vs red can- antibacterial)?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Options
    For Dermoplast- is it better to get one kind over the other (blue can vs red can- antibacterial)?
    They gave it to me at the hospital along with tucks pads and a few other postpartum things. 
  • Options
    @AliKay20, try these Avent gel packs that can be refrigerated

• Options
    @telicious2 not the antibacterial that stuff burns!!
  • Options
    @telicious2 I remember the hospital giving me the blue one. I bought the red one after because it was the only one the store had and I didn't like it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @texasmama2014 @Ceventa That is very good to know! Thanks! Unfortunately I was only provided mesh undies and pads last time. 

Me (32) DH (34) | |
  • Options
    @texasmama2014 Lol you just killed my buzz! I blocked out the painful stuff and zeroed in on the 'shits getting real and exciting' aspect! 

• Options
    @AMCooper000   :s I personally wouldn't use the word "excited" about this thread... Baby yes... Torn up vag... not so much...
    Lol! I died. 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• Options
    @texasmama2014 you are my favorite person right now lol. I love the "torn up vag" comment!
  • Options
    Amen for that spray bottle! I remember freaking out one time after my first pregnancy when I used the bathroom and realized the bottle was in another bathroom at the moment... I was heartbroken! So this time I'm hoping to get a few - one for each toilet in the house!

• Options
    Amen for that spray bottle! I remember freaking out one time after my first pregnancy when I used the bathroom and realized the bottle was in another bathroom at the moment... I was heartbroken! So this time I'm hoping to get a few - one for each toilet in the house!
    Is it weird that i kept mine from last time for this exact reason?

• Options
    All these comments are making me question my plans to Vbac.  Maybe my c-section wasn't so bad the first time around!
  • Options
    I love the spray bottle.  I used that for a long time.  And the spray.

yes, to the nipple cream.  Use it or you will regret it.  I also put counter pressure on a point on my boobs to take away from the initial sting.  The stinging eventually goes away as you nurse and pump.  

I I have had three deliveries and have never used the ice packs.  I really need to try those this time.

Post partum contractions are no joke.  Keep up with your meds.  They have gotten worse with each kid and the nurse told me that's normal.  I am not looking forward to what I might experience this time.
  • Options
    jmknoxjmknox member
    Gel pAds for the nips!  At least initially to wear during the sensitive phase.. . That way even the softest cotton (which turns into seemingly sandpaper) or the inside of any bra - won't be so bad.  
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Ice pads and the squirt bottle were my best friends last time. The hospital never gave me the dermaplast. I feel jipped. 
  • Options
    I forgot about the post partum contractions and the belly massages. Also the word belly massage is putting it very nice, those things hurt like hell!
  • Options

I'll join in on the nipple conversation since I'm pumping a lot of milk around the clock for the boys.. My nips are so sensitive, I feel like I need to invent little nipple umbrellas for the shower.  Medala nursing pads are better than Lansolish imo - much softer, however I have a whole box of the others that I need to use up.  I have the frozen gel rings, the nipple gel pads, along with a prescription cream that my hospital makes, but I still have not found the right combination yet. I also use lanolin after every pump.  I might have to try the earth cream though.  I don't like to use the gel pads and the prescription cream, because I need to wash it off and that's just time consuming. The lactation lady said everything looks good, so this is just normal.  Also, drink a ton of water and eat oatmeal it definitely helps in the production department.  If you don't have a hands free pumping bra, invest in one of those too.  It's a lifesaver, especially at work. 

For those of you that have a C-section, ask them for a belly binder at the hospital right away.  It makes a world of difference. I'm 3 weeks out and just started weaning myself off of mine this week... Also, I was more mentally prepared for the C-section than a vaginal birth, but I must admit I wasn't expecting to hobble around like an old lady for weeks! At least I only need to use pantyliners for the bleeding and not all the other stuff pictured above!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I pre-made padscicles last time that were nice to have on hand. Basically just soaked a pad in witch hazel and froze them. This time I'll do shorter length ones though because I used the huge long ones and they didn't concentrate the coolness where I needed it to be. The blue dermoplast was my best friend for a few weeks, so buy at least 2 cans in advance. Also...plan on each bathroom trip taking at least 10 minutes, even when you just have to pee. And for the first few days especially, remove any bath mats away from the toilet because you will probably drip blood at some point. 

My milk coming in was one of the most painful experiences of post partum, and that's coming from someone that had an episiotomy and internal bruising from forceps. They were rock hard and so damn sensitive that nothing but an ice pack helped. (massage and pumping was torture) Then my let down was so fast that it was drowning my daughter, so in combination with flat nipples and a less than ideal latch, I used a nipple shield. I tried weaning her and she'd eat without it sometimes, but honestly, it wasn't that difficult to use and we were both happier with it, so I used it for the entire 10 months she breastfed.

• Options
    Has anyone used these? Didn't know if they would be worth buying?

Me (32) DH (34) | |
  • Options
    Has anyone used these? Didn't know if they would be worth buying?

I'm currently using the medela ones that look similar. If your nips are super sensitive they do work well to keep them from rubbing against your bra. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @telicious2 I bought Avent ones that are similar,  but you can either use the vented ones just for protection or non-vented ones to collect any extra milk that leaks out. Haven't tried them yet though!

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    Question!

Any recommendations for postpartum belly band? I head mixed reviews on the belly bandit? I want to start wearing one right away.

Let me know :) 
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @terezakatarinaI loved my bellefit. It will be hot, but it keeps everything held in and made me feel so much better in my clothes.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Question!

Any recommendations for postpartum belly band? I head mixed reviews on the belly bandit? I want to start wearing one right away.

Let me know :) 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EE30O9Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I bought.  It's not for under clothes wear or anything, but I wore it for about 15 minutes at a time.  Not super comfortable when sitting down, but I liked feeling like all my bits were held back together for a while.  Lol.  It was nice because it's in 3 pieces, so you can wear one or all and position them/tighten them where you feel like you need it.  Plus, it was cheap...
  • Options
    @telicious2 - I had the medela ones last time and they were AMAZING. if your nipples are sore they are the best thing to help keep your nips from touching anything.