July 2016 Moms
Options

Week of 6/6 Randoms

Re: Week of 6/6 Randoms

• Options
    @elenabrent I live in TN and have never heard of this Barkley Marathon. I just Googled. Holy cow! I'll have to watch that documentary. And a 60 mile "fun run"? Ha!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had my 36 week appt yesterday and I was measuring 31 weeks. This is the 3rd appt where I've been small and I was measuring 31 at my 34 week appt also. My practice does a standard ultrasound to check position at 36 weeks so he was already doing the ultrasound anyways and said that my fluid looked okay, baby was moving a ton, heart rate was fine so he wasn't too concerned. He thought since my first son wasn't huge (6lb 15oz at 39+1) that I probably just have smallish babies and since he's moving a lot I don't need to be too worried. He did offer to send me for a real growth scan with measurements at the hospital but only if I wanted it. I declined and figured I'll have another appt in a week so I can just track movements but 5 weeks behind does have me a little worried. I'm torn because I don't want to be too blase about the whole thing but I don't want them to take measurements and freak out that the baby has to come early and have it end up being for no reason, which seems to happen to a lot of people when you try to guess size this late in the game. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our of curiosity, what are people's thoughts on bottle warmers? I had one friend that told me they're a waste but my girlfriend yesterday was like no, you have to have one!! She said nothing...formula or breastmilk can be microwaved. i noticed each brand seems to make their own warmer. Should I buy one specific to the bottles I have the most of? Is there a generic one that works for a lot of brands?
  • Options
    @TiffRox81 if you're doing formula you can just make it with hot water. For frozen breast milk run the bag under hot water to thaw it and it should be warm enough for baby. That's what we do at the child are center I work at. I don't plan on buying a bottle warmer unless it turns out LO likes bottles really warm or we happen to receive one.
  • Options
    @TiffRox81 I had asked a similar question a few months back and some moms had suggested that if I do end up needing one, I can always put hot water in a crock pot/slow cooker and use that.  Which is nice if that works - it would be one less gadget taking space in the kitchen..
  • Options
    @TiffRox81 I got one from someone but it doubles as a Cuisinart food processor. I honestly don't see myself using the warmer part of it very often because it seems like a hassle. With my little sister if I warmed a bottle for her I just put it in a mug of hot water and shook it up. It was easy. This contraption seems like another thing I have to figure out. But I couldn't turn down a free food processor...
  • Options
    kellz14 said:
    @TiffRox81 I had asked a similar question a few months back and some moms had suggested that if I do end up needing one, I can always put hot water in a crock pot/slow cooker and use that.  Which is nice if that works - it would be one less gadget taking space in the kitchen..
    Yup, that works too (another child care trick we use haha)! Just keep it on low/keep warm (depending on how hot your crockpot runs) and make sure to keep an eye on it/ test how warm it is. You usually have to swirl/shake the bottle to evenly distribute the heat
  • Options
    Ok I'm glad I asked!! I agree with not wanting to have one more item on the counter if not needed. This friend just kinda had me freaking out because she looked at me like I was crazy when I said I didn't have one!
  • Options
    My kids just did room temp or from the fridge. We started then off that way. 
  • Options
    @elenabrent @kendallandkate6714 LOVED the Barkley Marathon documentary! I've dipped my toes in ultra running but nothing crazy like that race. I have a friend who has been trying to get into that race for a few years. I am taking my endurance and mental toughness from ultra-running and hoping it will carry over to labor. Fingers crossed.

@Kellyj103 I bought some Bravado nursing bras (no wires) and they are literally the best thing ever. I don't know if I will ever be able to go back to regular bras. So comfortable.

• Options
    No, no bottle warmers/formula Keurigs. We just floated a bottle in a mug of hot water for a few minutes. When my daughter was drinking formula, we just used cold filtered water, and she was totally okay with that.
  • Options
    I used my bottle warmer all the time and plan on it again...loved it and I could get it to the exact time of the temp I needed so it was always perfect and I didnt need to worry about it it being too cold or hot.  They are much smaller than a crockpot too.
  • Options
    Hubby and I installed our car seat the other day and today I had it checked out by a technician. It's pretty sad I knew more about car seat safety then she did. She told me that I need to switch him to FF at one, when I told her I had no plans to do so until he's 4 she tried telling me it's dangerous. Then she went on to tell me about all these things I can buy to add to my car seat. She was shocked when I told her that I just read in my manual that my car seat doesn't allow for after market products. If all that wasn't enough she uninstalled the car seat to check the dates and didn't even install it right and got annoyed when I told her she did it wrong. 

She did tell me after everything was done that she only had to take a class at the police station and that I probably know more then she does. Well, that's comforting. I'm so annoyed I wasted my time going there and annoyed that she had no idea what she was taking about and is giving out false information. 
  • Options
    With DS we got a bottle warmer and used it all of 5 times.  When he decided he was hungry, he was hungry!  He got more than a few room temp to cold bottles.
    July Siggy Challenge

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Racso12 yes! I'm looking into buying a bunch of Bravado nursing tanks for after baby but I guess it wouldn't hurt to start wearing those wireless nursing bras!
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• Options
    Hubby and I installed our car seat the other day and today I had it checked out by a technician. It's pretty sad I knew more about car seat safety then she did. She told me that I need to switch him to FF at one, when I told her I had no plans to do so until he's 4 she tried telling me it's dangerous. Then she went on to tell me about all these things I can buy to add to my car seat. She was shocked when I told her that I just read in my manual that my car seat doesn't allow for after market products. If all that wasn't enough she uninstalled the car seat to check the dates and didn't even install it right and got annoyed when I told her she did it wrong. 

She did tell me after everything was done that she only had to take a class at the police station and that I probably know more then she does. Well, that's comforting. I'm so annoyed I wasted my time going there and annoyed that she had no idea what she was taking about and is giving out false information. 
    That's horrible! I went to my local fire station and they had someone on staff who was trained in it. He told me how to get the kiddo in the seat and how/where to fasten everything and even tightened the latch hooks for me to make sure everything was super stable. I'd try going to a fire/police station if you feel uncomfortable with how the other person checked it.
  • Options
    @Kellyj103 I picked up a pair of nursing bras from H&m that I've lived in for months now, and they practically give them away.  They're like sports bras without the squeeze
  • Options
    There's a coworker at work who has been begging to feel baby move because she never had kids of her own. Baby has finally been more active during the day but every time I call my coworker over to see/feel my stomach baby quits moving! Stage fright and shyness is not going to work in my world, little one!
  • Options
    elenabrentelenabrent member
    edited June 2016
    @Racso12 I've done some ultra/trail running and a few marathons, and I'm hooked. I don't know that I'll ever be Barkley level, but I am really hoping the tools I use for distance running will come in handy for labor. 

• Options
    I know there are a few of you who have mentioned seeing a chiropractor regularly.  Would you mind giving me a general idea of what it's like?  I have never seen one before and frankly it makes me nervous but I am going tomorrow morning to try the Webster technique in hopes of avoiding and ECV.  Thanks!
  • Options
    @carbaddict I've seen a chiro throughout my pregnancy and prior to for various issues.  Mostly right now she's helping me with hip and sciatic pain.  I usually lay face down on the table, she's able to drop the
    middle of the table to make space for my bump.  At this point its
    mostly deep pressure and massage rather than adjustments like before.  Nothing hurts, though sometimes I do feel sore afterward when she works on my hips.  It's a good soreness though!  For me the biggest thing is trust, I've been seeing her for years so really can relax and trust that I'm safe.  When I first began going she was awesome about checking in with my comfort (does that hurt? Harder, softer, etc) and making sure she explained what exactly she was going to do next and why ("I'm going to press here on your neck pretty firmly to help with such and such").  This was essential for me to relax which I think is important for it to be effective!!  I would say speak up about what you need to help you relax and remember that while it may feel uncomfortable nothing should hurt.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    LDSJM123LDSJM123 member
    edited June 2016
    I know there are a few of you who have mentioned seeing a chiropractor regularly.  Would you mind giving me a general idea of what it's like?  I have never seen one before and frankly it makes me nervous but I am going tomorrow morning to try the Webster technique in hopes of avoiding and ECV.  Thanks!
    Mine starts me out on a vibrating/jet/waterbed thing for about 10 minutes. It's warm and loosens me up. Baby goes crazy and I feel like a jiggly whale but it works. Then he has a special table that the belly part moves, he has me lay on my belly, adjusts my back. He then has me lay on each of my sides and twists me, then he finishes with me on my back and adjusting my neck.That one still gets me. The sound, purely. It doesn't hurt at all. Just a heads up, you may get sore for a week or two after. As mine explained, your body has gotten use to being unaligned so it has to adjust to be properly lined up, leading to you (potentially) being sore.  I'm not familiar with the Webster technique, but simply going for adjustments has done wonders for my hips, pubic bone, and sciatic pain.  

@CarbAddict   

Edit: spelling 
  • Options
    @TiffRox81 just one more "never used my bottle warmer" person to add to your tally
  • Options
    Sorry, quote below otherwise I'm stuck in the box. All of this...  Less than 4 weeks to go and I really need people to stop with the whole 'oh, just you wait!' garbage, especially about the L&D experience. We are all different, your delivery experience has no bearing on how mine will go, and I don't want to go into this scared out of my mind! 

stellaluna14 said:
    Am I the only one who finds the excessive amount of dark and dreary warnings of what birth and parenting will be like annoying? I know most people mean well but I'm so tired of every person that does talk to me saying something along the lines of "are you prepared to never sleep again hahahahaha?" Or "oh man my birth experience was like the worst thing ever so I hope you're ready". 

• Options
    @stellaluna14 I'm with you on that. In my first pregnancy, I had so many people want to share their birth experiences, and I always tried to politely decline. Every woman is different, and I neither needed nor wanted the horror stories. Just give me the facts, what needs to happen, and if you're actually concerned, offer to babysit for an hour or two so I can nap after baby is born. ;) People don't offer as much unsolicited advice the second time around, which is nice. 
  • Options
    I'm jealous of all of you seeing chiropractors! I didn't even think about the relief that could offer. 
  • Options
    @whataboutscience I admire you for saying that. I have always had body issues and am dreading the time when my stretch marks finally make their appearance.( I know that sounds selfish because the marks are def. For a good cause..)
  • Options
    @stellaluna14 Whenever people try to pull that shit with me a 'palate cleanse' with a call to my mother. There is nothing as reassuring as hearing 'You forget all of the pain and hard work as soon as they put that baby in your arms' or 'you were sleeping in 6 hour blocks at 3 months' or 'Forget the housework, just sleep when the baby sleeps and you will be just fine'. 
  • Options
    In case not everyone knows, Bob Ross is on Netflix now. My dreams have come true. 
    My husband and I have taken to watching him before bed. Absolutely Amazing. 
  • Options
    So I have a coworker that had her baby a few days after Mother's Day. I just saw her a couple days ago and asked how she was doing and if it was all worth it. She said, "Honestly, no! Labor sucked, recovery sucked, and now I just have to take care of it." OMG I didn't even know what to say!