April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• Holljade said:

When you guys say your babies are down for the night- what does that mean/ how long are they asleep for?

With DD I never was able to pin down a bedtime till she slept through the night

Usually her longest stretch is after the 8 or 9pm feeding and it's around 3.5-4 hours.
  • rtv3rtv3 member
    How do I time contractions? I've been having non-painful ones every 5-10 min for the past hr and a half or so. I've basically been starting the timer when my belly gets hard and stopping it when it's soft again. I do have back pain that comes and goes, but it's usually right before my belly tightens up. So I guess my stupid question is: do I time from when the back pain starts or from when my belly gets hard?
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Loading the player...
  • rtv3 said:
    How do I time contractions? I've been having non-painful ones every 5-10 min for the past hr and a half or so. I've basically been starting the timer when my belly gets hard and stopping it when it's soft again. I do have back pain that comes and goes, but it's usually right before my belly tightens up. So I guess my stupid question is: do I time from when the back pain starts or from when my belly gets hard?
    I wouldn't bother timing them until they're more regular and painful. By the time you need to be considering heading to the hospital, they'll be more obvious. When I was timing I did it with the onset of pain. And when it was go time, the onset of pain was definitely not subtle.
  • rtv3rtv3 member

rtv3 said:

I wouldn't bother timing them until they're more regular and painful. By the time you need to be considering heading to the hospital, they'll be more obvious. When I was timing I did it with the onset of pain. And when it was go time, the onset of pain was definitely not subtle.

Thanks :) FTM - overthinking everything, lol. It doesn't help that I'm overdue and really really want this to be the beginning of the real thing!
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• rtv3 said:
    rtv3 said:
    Thanks :) FTM - overthinking everything, lol. It doesn't help that I'm overdue and really really want this to be the beginning of the real thing!
    Here's hoping! Good luck!
  • So I was told not to use Desitin or anything with Zinc in it unless LO has an active red rash on her bum. I have been reading everyone talking about using it already but my LO has had nothing but a little rubbing from her diaper. I just use Aquafor for that. Am I missing something or should I be using the Desitin all the time?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only use when needed.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So I was told not to use Desitin or anything with Zinc in it unless LO has an active red rash on her bum. I have been reading everyone talking about using it already but my LO has had nothing but a little rubbing from her diaper. I just use Aquafor for that. Am I missing something or should I be using the Desitin all the time?

Use as needed.
  • bacorreabacorrea member
    edited May 2014
    FTM and 1 week postpartum. Just wondering how long it took everybody to get into a routine? I know babies aren't in routines, I mean as parents. We have a great baby, but still the lack of sleep is getting to us. Is there a point when your body finally gets on track with the new schedule/routine? I seriously feel like I got hit by a bus.
  • LO drinks 4 oz of BM from a bottle and still wants more after. I'll put him on the boob after a bottle and he'll eat for another 10 minutes or so.

He's 16 days old...is that too much? I thought they only ate 3-4 oz at a time at this age. Just seems like he's SO hungry!

My Pedi/LC said that we can't really over feed them right now. If they are drinking and spitting it right back up then they are getting too much. She reminded me that our LOs have appetites just like us. Sometimes they will want more or less than the avg. 3oz.
  • hordolhordol member
    aronie82 said:

hordol said:

Around what age do babies stop screaming bloody murder when they get their diaper changed?

I've found if he has a full belly he doesn't scream.
    Haha nothing stops my kid! He HATES any part of him exposed. I only undress his lower half but he just wants none of it, lol.
    bacorrea said:

FTM and 1 week postpartum. Just wondering how long it took everybody to get into a routine? I know babies aren't in routines, I mean as parents. We have a great baby, but still the lack of sleep is getting to us. Is there a point when your body finally gets on track with the new schedule/routine? I seriously feel like I got hit by a bus.

First week was ROUGH. After that, our baby's sleep patterns started to get more predictable. I now know my baby wakes up around 11:00, 1:30, and 4:00. Knowing those times makes it a lot more tolerable. Just start paying attention to the patterns your baby displays and see how you can work with them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Thanks ladies. Sometimes he does spit up large quantities, more like puking. Guess maybe those times he's had too much?

Yeah my little girl likes to eat way more at her 2am feeding. She will keep rooting, telling me she is hungry, but if she starts to spit up what I think might be too much. I will just take a break and burp her, change her, and then if she still wants more I will feed her.

• hordolhordol member
    ^^ mine didn't bother me at all after birth. However, when I had one about a week before labor due to an unrelated health issue, that bothered me for a couple days.

Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013

• maelicmaelic member

Those of you who had a catheter, how long until your urethra didn't hurt? Mine is still really tender, 2.5 weeks PP.

Still sore and LO will be 3w on Monday. A lot of it is swelling around the urethra, says my OB. It's all fluid from the tissues healing, but I had a pretty traumatic delivery (9.5lbs compound presentation).
  • scarlesscarles member
    I still have pain from the catheter as well. I'm 2.5 weeks postpartum.
  • Thanks ladies. Sometimes he does spit up large quantities, more like puking. Guess maybe those times he's had too much?

Do you burp him after every ounce on the bottle? Or tried a low flow nipple? Babies are just like us -- if they eat too fast, they can over eat. It rarely happens if they are EBFing bc nursing takes more time and effort for them...slower process = time for their bellies to tell their brains they're full. Burping often + a low flow nipple will slow him down some!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • My baby's cord finally fell off. Yay! But there's some yellowish fluid in there. I thought it was pus at first, but after reading up on it, I found out it was just mucus (because there's no foul odor). However, I can't find anywhere that tells me how to clean it! So what am I supposed to do?
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Thanks! So it's officially safe to give her a bath submerged in water right? :D
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • What are the guildlines for the amount of time a baby should be sleeping? My almost 4 week old has been sleeping all day except feedings (which she wakes up for) for the past two days. Not normal for her, last week she was up for 2 hr stretches at a time.
  • ksulliksulli member

What are the guildlines for the amount of time a baby should be sleeping? My almost 4 week old has been sleeping all day except feedings (which she wakes up for) for the past two days. Not normal for her, last week she was up for 2 hr stretches at a time.

It varies by baby. Growth spurts usually involve a lot of sleep (after a lot of eating).
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Hopefully all this sleep crosses over to tonight. Thanks, hadn't thought about finishing up her growth spurt!
  • Do you rock baby to sleep and then put them down? Or put them down semi drowsy and let them fall asleep on their own? My LO is 5 weeks and I've been rocking her to sleeps and then putting her down in her crib but just wondering what others do
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • aronie82 said:

Do you rock baby to sleep and then put them down? Or put them down semi drowsy and let them fall asleep on their own? My LO is 5 weeks and I've been rocking her to sleeps and then putting her down in her crib but just wondering what others do

Putting LO down when drowsy is a good habit to start. I try when I can to put him down drowsy and not totally asleep
    I think I'll start trying this! If she's unusually fussy it's a bit harder but I am sure it's a good habit to start so we'll see how that goes!
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • hordolhordol member
    When I wean, will my nipples go back to the shape/size they were prepregnancy?

Also, at what age do they no longer consider a baby to be a newborn?

Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013

• My nipples never went back to pre breastfeeding but that is probably because they were rather flat and breastfeeding changed that.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I tried researching this, but couldn't find a solid answer...

My LO appears to have hardened snot (ew) collecting in her nose. She can still breathe through her nose, but at night she's quite loud with her breathing. The nasal aspirator isn't removing it effectively, and I know using a cue tip is a big "no-no.". Other than using a humidifier, do other moms have suggestions for clearing this up? Would saline drops really loosen this even if it's hardened booger? Sorry for the gross topic... but I know it's one of the joys of motherhood! TIA :-)
  • ricekezricekez member
    heids4787 said:

I tried researching this, but couldn't find a solid answer...

My LO appears to have hardened snot (ew) collecting in her nose. She can still breathe through her nose, but at night she's quite loud with her breathing. The nasal aspirator isn't removing it effectively, and I know using a cue tip is a big "no-no.". Other than using a humidifier, do other moms have suggestions for clearing this up? Would saline drops really loosen this even if it's hardened booger? Sorry for the gross topic... but I know it's one of the joys of motherhood! TIA :-)

Try a warm, wet wash cloth to loosen the boogers. You can also use saline drops. We used those with success for DS1.

• heids4787heids4787 member
    edited May 2014
    Thanks @ricekez‌! She's such a squirmer that using a nasal aspirator alone has been really tough, but she might be open to the wash cloth :-)

ETA: she sneezed and blew it out - yay!!
  • Do you rock baby to sleep and then put them down? Or put them down semi drowsy and let them fall asleep on their own? My LO is 5 weeks and I've been rocking her to sleeps and then putting her down in her crib but just wondering what others do
    I nurse her until she's asleep, wait a few minutes and then put her to bed. Some nights, she's fine, other nights, she won't stay asleep in the RNP unless she's in a deep sleep.
  • ksulliksulli member
    aronie82 said:

Do you take LO to your follow up OB appointment

Yup. Did last time too, and my OB asked if she could take her out to meet the office staff while I got changed. Tiny office, so they all knew me. The Oohing and Aahhing was pretty cute through the door.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • aronie82 said:
    Do you take LO to your follow up OB appointment

I had to. DH was at work and I had no one to watch her. Thankfully she slept through the whole timing.
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• When doing the "bicycle" legs to help LO with gas, does it matter which way their legs are "pedaling"? >.>;;

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • aviola329 said:

ricekez said:

heids4787 said:

I tried researching this, but couldn't find a solid answer...

Try a warm, wet wash cloth to loosen the boogers. You can also use saline drops. We used those with success for DS1.
    You could also try "boogie wipes" I think! They're saline wipes....we use them all the time for DSS. They're great bc they help dissolve and get rid of the boogies while still being gentle on the kid's face.
    @aviola329‌ - Ooo! Those sound great, too. Thanks for the tip :-)
  • Is it safe to let a 4-week-old sleep in a swing?

Tonight she'd only stop fussing if I held her propped upright, so I put her in her swing (which she normally hates...) and she zonked out. Now I'm terrified to move her because DH and I are both irritable and sleep-deprived. Her nose isn't blocked, though her head is tilted a bit forward but not harshly so.

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Cora is 5 1/2 weeks old. Her belly button has looked healed for weeks but now today it has a tiny bit of blood and yellow crustiness. It isn't swollen or inflamed looking and it doesn't seem to hurt her. Should I be concerned?
  • Someone asked me if I was cleaning DDs mouth after feelings. I've never heard of this. Do y'all do anything like this? If so, how?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• ksulliksulli member
    Heidiman said:

Someone asked me if I was cleaning DDs mouth after feelings. I've never heard of this. Do y'all do anything like this? If so, how?

Nope. I do have an infant brush though, it's like a rubber chew toy shaped for LOs mouth, but it seems silly before even one tooth has popped out.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • spano41spano41 member
    Ok...I have one. I live in a condo on the 4th floor, do you think it's a bad idea to take the trash to the dumpster or check the mail on the 1st floor and leave the baby in the condo sleeping if I bring the baby monitor? I've been too scared to do it so far, but it would be nice if I could take the trash out without bringing her!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"