August 2021 Moms

Questions thread

Re: Questions thread

• Does anyone use the Expectful app? Do you recommend it? I have a subscription to Calm, but there are no guided meditations geared towards pregnancy. Headspace does had a pregnancy series, but I just swapped my subscription to Calm not thinking about this.
  • @pickle-chips Bellabeat has a pregnancy one and it's free. I haven't tried it though 
  • Loading the player...
  • Random question - This is my 4th pregnancy at 17 weeks. I don't feel like I am showing at all compared to my others. I have a tiny bump, but nothing too big! How big is everyone else getting?
  • grogugrogu member
    Anyone else getting constant Braxton Hicks? 
    They don't hurt, they're just so uncomfortable and annoying. 
    I'm pretty sure I'm not dehydrated, maybe it's from anxiety/stress? 

I had them early with my first but not nearly this early! 
  • @grogu I have been having them for a couple of weeks now and we are similar due dates. I am definitely dehydrated though :D. For me, a full or full-ish bladder also seems to increase their frequency. +1 on uncomfortable and annoying. Getting up and moving around also helps them go away.  
  • grogugrogu member
    @pickle-chips Ugh, too bad I'm lazy haha! 
    I'll try to move around more. My job is very sedentary and my pelvis hurts if I walk too much. 
  • @grogu this helped me SO much with my Braxton Hicks during my first pregnancy. You can get it at Whole Foods or on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Anti-Stress-Supplement-Raspberry/dp/B00BPUY3W0/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=calm&qid=1616611718&sr=8-5
  • @grogu I realized after I posted that I should clarify that the getting up and moving was a reminder for me. haha. My job is also sedentary...which probably explains why I usually have a full bladder and need to remind myself to get my butt out of my chair. 
  • grogugrogu member
    @surrenderdorothy oh! I have that already and took some to help with a migraine yesterday. 
    I'll try adding it in daily. 

@pickle-chips I really do need to move around more too but everything hurts 🤣 
  • @cluckymama I’ve only started showing this week and it looks like I just ate a big meal. I’m 17+4. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @cluckymama my belly just popped out a bit in the past few days, i'm also 17 weeks. its still pretty small in the morning. i have the extra bloat in there at night that makes it look bigger. this is #3 for me. my first i didn't show til after like 24 weeks, and second i think was probably similar to this one.
  • @cluckymama this is my 3rd pregnancy and I feel like I’m huge. My 2nd pregnancy I didn’t show until 6 months so I’ve been struggling tbh. 

@grogu I have been experiencing BH since the start of 2nd tri and hate them. They’re not too uncomfortable but definitely annoying. I might have to try that supplement @surrenderdorothy shared plus I’ve also been having bad headaches.
  • Anyone have a rec on protein shakes that are pregnancy safe and don’t taste awful? I’ve been so hungry mid morning and think I need to get more protein, especially on mornings I workout. Kashi cereal with strawberries isn’t cutting it and I don’t have time to make myself eggs each morning. 

No MLMs, please and thank you. 🙂
  • Mint Herbalife with sweetened almond milk! I bought before on Amazon so you don’t have to deal with MLMs. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @surrenderdorothy Carnation makes a breakfast shake that is really good! It’s in the cereal section. I feel like it’s a lot of calories but I tend to drink it instead of breakfast, and it has a decent amount of protein. 

Anyone having outer hip pain? It’s my first pregnancy and last nights sleep was rough 😖 I know we’re supposed to be side-sleeping, which luckily I typically am anyway, but the hip pain had me tossing and turning all night. 
  • @kam174 when i'm pregnant and have to get a mattress topper to prevent the outer hip pain. without it it hurts too much to sleep.
  • grogugrogu member
    @kam174 I sleep on my side but kind of leaned back with a pillow propping me up a bit so I'm not flat on my hip. If that makes sense? 
    Also, a pregnancy pillow is life right now. 
  • Thanks ladies! My pregnancy pillow just came in the mail today 🥳 perfect timing I guess. Excited to give it a try tonight ... or in like an hour lol 😴 
  • I could swear we've talked about this before but my search didn't turn up anything- anyone have tips for how to minimize acid reflux? Mine has really ramped up in the past week and Tums don't seem to make much of a difference.
  • @the-most-happy I take Prilosec everyday.  It’s the only thing that helps.  
  • @the-most-happy I’ve heard papaya enzyme suggested many times, but for me it was actually milk/ice cream that seemed to help the most. I had “medicinal milkshakes” almost daily at the end of my first pregnancy. You can also get omeprazole over the counter (though I had to ask the pharmacist for it) which was the only way I survived the final month. 
    I also found during my second pregnancy that just having something in my mouth, even a mint or gum helped keep saliva going enough that it calmed the reflux. 
  • @the_most_happy sleeping at a slight incline will also help. 
  • Question about weight gain- I'm 19 weeks and haven't gained much, about 1-2 pounds, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned? I definitely have small bump so clearly something is going on in there, but I got a little worried when I read the Bump app's Week 19 article and it said I should have gained about 8-14 pounds by now. I'm definitely going to ask my doctor if things haven't progressed by my next appointment (in a couple weeks), but is this the kind of thing I should reach out about sooner? Is there even anything the doctor can do about it, if there IS a problem underlying the lack of weight gain? This is my first and I didn't lose any weight due to nausea etc. in the first trimester, if those details make a difference.
  • claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited April 2021
    @the_most_happy
    You had the AS already right and it was normal? If so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Suggested weight gain is according to BMI as well, so there is some variability the bump app isn't covering in that suggestion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • @claireloSC I haven't had it yet, that's my next appointment in a couple weeks. My BMI is on the lower end of normal so I would've thought that would mean I'd gain more rather than less! Ugh, I'm trying to tell myself every pregnancy is different and obviously all along I've been seeing the suggested weight gain ranges and not really sweating that they didn't match up with my experience yet... this is the first week the contrast seemed more notable to me.
  • @the_most_happy I think the guideline is from week 13 onwards, 1-2 lbs a week on average, but weighted more to the 3rd tri. In my first pregnancy at 17 weeks I had gained about a pound and it wasn't a concern at all. I think if you hit closer to 24/27 weeks and haven't gained then your doc might start showing concern. Just keep eating what your body wants and drinking plenty of water!
  • @doodlemom131 that makes me feel a lot better, just knowing others have been slow gainers at the start and it's turned out completely fine! I'm definitely eating way more than I did pre-pregnancy so I'm not sure where it's all going lol but I'm just going to keep trying to be guided by my appetite and trust things are happening how they should.
  • @the_most_happy I actually lost weight all first trimester last pregnancy and then caught up A LOT during the other trimesters. I probably shouldn't have gone crazy with food once I could tolerate it better. I've lost and then gained back to my baseline + about 2 lbs now at almost 19 wks and I'm not worried. I think your doc will let you know if they're concerned! 
  • @the_most_happy
    I would let your doc know just in case they want to see you sooner if you haven't had AS just yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • @claireloSC ok, I think I’ll message them on Monday. Part of me is just curious what, if anything, they actually DO if you aren’t gaining enough weight? I wonder if it’s one of those things that’s like, yeah it’s a problem but nothing to do but see if things pick up ultimately. Anyway, can’t hurt to ask I guess!
  • @the_most_happy I’m sure it is nothing but probably worth an email if you don’t have an appointment coming up. (Like @claireloSC mentioned.) FWIW I gained almost nothing until month 5+ with my first, then gained like 8lbs in month 6 (😳) and steadily thereafter. 
  • litzi-2litzi-2 member
    edited April 2021
    @the_most_happy ill agree with others, for my first i had next to nothing for weight gain initially and didn't start looking pregnant til around 24 weeks. didn't gain much overall, maybe 26lbs by almost 39 weeks. but baby was always fine at 7.5lbs at birth. they did show some concern because my BMI is lowest end of normal to begin with, but i think i lost some muscle mass which contributed. i've gained about 5lbs so far at almost 19 weeks with my third. 
  • Wow, seriously thanks for all the advice and reassurance ladies! It really helps seeing there is so much variation on this even within our small group. Gonna reach out to my doc but also just feeling better knowing it’s probably totally normal!
  • Hey ladies! Anyone here ever experience an anterior placenta? In this pregnancy or previously? My anxious self ended up with one this time. I am 19 weeks and while I do feel him a few times a day, sometimes more or less, it's definitely less than with my daughter. My doctor said not to worry at all and this is very normal. Just wanted to know I'm not alone. Lol 
  • @the_most_happy, I haven’t gained much either, but I’ll say I agree  with what others have said too. I hope you get a response soon from your doctor to help ease your mind!  

@sparks31211, I had an anterior placenta with my last pregnancy as a FTM.  FWIW, I don’t remember feeling her move before 20 weeks- and even then I couldn’t feel her consistently until she was starting to run out of space.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @sparks31211 I think I have an anterior placenta this time around too. This is my third pregnancy and I do not remember feeling this little movement with my two girls. I have my anatomy scan on Thursday so I'm hoping I found out for sure by then. I'm trying not to worry, I'm sure everything is good with baby. 
  • @sparks31211 I have an anterior placenta this pregnancy (didn’t with DS). I’m 20 weeks and just the last two days starting feeling some consistent movements.  You’re definitely not alone! 
  • @sparks31211 I had an anterior one last time, I definitely felt much movement and earlier this time in comparison. 
    @the_most_happy If there was actually a growth problem, sometimes they deliver the baby early and put him/her on special formula and stuff. But that would still be a ways away. You'll know more after your AS and sometimes they want to do extra monitoring or testings as well if your baby ends up having IUGR or something like that. That being said it's all probably totally fine and nothing to worry about, but can't hurt to make sure with your medical team. :)
  • grogugrogu member
    Anyone have experience with placenta previa? Apparently much be is full and my OB said I need to be very careful and no cervical checks etc. 
    I'm hoping the placenta moves by delivery because I really don't want a c section 
  • My acupuncturist recommended digestive enzymes. I was getting horrendous heartburn in the 3rd month (I already suffered from IBS as well) As soon as I started taking them it stopped as did most of the gas. You take one with every meal. The one I bought on Amazon is called Zen and it has both pre and pro biotic. I also drink a warm glass of almond milk before bed.