August 2021 Moms
Options

Questions thread

Re: Questions thread

• Options
    hannelorrehannelorre member
    edited January 2021
    @surrenderdorothy oh and if you still have Medela bottles, just get yourself some adapters instead of buying new bottles! My SIL gave me her Medela bottles so I did that. Spectra bottles are wider so took up more space.
  • Options
    @hannelorre thank you! Didn’t realize they made adapters. That’s a great tip. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Used spectra for both my kids.  They held up perfectly, in fact I couldn’t tell you which is older. The second time, since I got a new one, I kept one at the office and one at home so I didn’t have to carry it back and forth.  That was convenient since I did one pre-work pump every day.  

I’m super interested in one of those new discreet brands.  I hate pumping. I feel so awkward and I’m so worried someone is gonna burst into my office (it’s happened). I hate it so much though I haven’t considered researching yet...   :s
  • Options
    @Eveinshock I have that same fear. I just got a lock installed on my office door for that exact reason. 
  • Options
    There weren't any wireless when I had DD but can definitely recommend the Spectra over the Medela, much more comfortable. I just read an article in Bloomberg saying those two brands were the big ones for wireless but I don't know anything about which is better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    @surrenderdorothy I have a lock on my office door, but I’m worried about someone knocking. Do I tell them to come back later? Be really quiet and pretend I’m not there??  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @emmylou78 i am going to print a sign that says ‘do not disturb is door is shut’. My business partners are men and will be too terrified to even attempt to bother me. 😂
  • Options
    @Eveinshock, I’m a high school teacher, so the scramble to pump between periods is seriously anxiety-inducing. I forgot to lock my office once and I had a student almost walk in on me. I also had a colleague full on UNLOCK the door and let himself in while I was pumping. When I called him out on it, his response was, “well, you should have put a sign up.” 🙄🙄🙄
  • Options
    @cyanope ugh I had that happen to me too! The other music teachers had keys to my room and I was locked in my classroom hiding behind my piano to pump and one of them unlocked my door to come in and talk to me. It was so awkward when she realized what was happening. 
  • Options
    @cyanope so rude!!
    @emmylou78depending on how cheeky you want to be there are cute signs on etsy. My favorite one says "this mom brings home milk AND bacon" 😉 but honestly I just told people to come back on 5 or 10 mins (however much you need). 

Get yourself a good pumping bra. I also didn't clean pumping parts in between, just stuck all of them into a big zip loc bag and into the fridge with milk so that saved a lot of time. 

• Options
    This convo makes me so mad for you ladies! Everyone should have a private and comfortable place to pump at work!  😡
  • Options
    If I got knocks I would just yell out “gimme 10 min!”  It was usually never a problem.  But I’m in charge and usually if my door is closed then I’m almost never bothered.  My new office has multiple windows open into the office space though so I’m gonna have to get my husband to come in and put some shades up or something.   I just looked into these pumps you can shove in your bra.  Omg $500?!?!     :o

I also brought my second one in on Fridays until she was about 6 months and I would breastfeed openly at my desk. People would come in to talk to me and was pretty hidden behind my screens. 
  • Options
    What is helping with everyone’s morning sickness? I’ve been living on saltines because I can’t find the ginger B6 candy I liked🥴 My husband also couldn’t find vernors ginger ale so he figured getting none was better than a different brand. I probably should have told him it didn’t matter at this point. I also should have asked my mom to bring me vernors from Michigan when she came down. 
  • Options
    @alexa94 I find Vitamin Water helps me. You could try Gatorade too. I feel better if I get some sugar in me and can not drink more than a sip of regular water.
  • Options
    We have lactation rooms and I used to pump in the locker room with DD. I have an office now, so it seems silly to walk to find the lactation room. I’ll see how it goes. I get jumpy sometimes, so I’m not sure how well I’d be able to relax just being scared of someone knocking. My door is pretty much always open and I swear, depending on who’s working that day, they always need something! 
  • Options
    I’ll have to look for a fun sign. 
  • Options
    B6 vitamins, small cans of ginger ale @alexa_94. Peppermint tea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    We also have a lactation room. But it’s such a pain to lug all my supplies over there multiple times a day! I just do it in my classroom office. I need to get a sign so I don’t have a repeat of last time! I just need to word it so that the teenagers have no idea what’s going on behind my closed door...😂😂😂
  • Options
    For those of us on here who are STM or more.. what double stroller did you use?  By the time I had my daughter, my son was too big for a stroller so I didn't need to get one.  This time around my daughter will still fit in one and there is NO WAY she will walk if the baby is riding (she already told me that SHE is the baby when we  told the kids we were having another so that's good.. :#  )
    I like the style of Uppababy Vista because it's not wider, just taller and longer so it will fit through most spaces I imagine.. but it's also very expensive.
    So I guess the question is if you have the Uppababy, is it worth it? If you have something else, what did you get that wasn't wide?

• Options
    I don't remember what pumps I had because I only used them for a short time.  I want to say that I used Spectra with my daughter and it worked okay for the short time I used it.  I just never produce enough so I give up.

• Options
    EveinshockEveinshock member
    edited January 2021
    ladyk127 said:
    For those of us on here who are STM or more.. what double stroller did you use?  By the time I had my daughter, my son was too big for a stroller so I didn't need to get one.  This time around my daughter will still fit in one and there is NO WAY she will walk if the baby is riding (she already told me that SHE is the baby when we  told the kids we were having another so that's good.. :#  )
    I like the style of Uppababy Vista because it's not wider, just taller and longer so it will fit through most spaces I imagine.. but it's also very expensive.
    So I guess the question is if you have the Uppababy, is it worth it? If you have something else, what did you get that wasn't wide?
    ok so i have a bunch.  britax b ready which i love. one is kind of behind and under the other which seems like it would be annoying to the bottom kid but my son is 3, almost 4 and he just hops in and out himself and definitely doesn't mind the privacy down there.  Its also more easy to maneuver bc the weight is back behind the stroller vs in the front so going up a curb or uneven pavement is easier. 

Also have a zoe double which is a side by side umbrella and wonderful for the car, shopping, etc.  Not an offroad stroller for sure but nice for how lightweight it is. 

And evenflo pivot xpand which is like a poor mans uppababy vista (under $400).  You can definitely tell the quality isn't quite up to the britax standard but its not bad. 

we tend to go for long walks and beat up the strollers a lot. plus my kids are huge and i think the uppababy has a lower weight/height limit. unfortunately our strollers have been basically collecting dust for the last 10 months  :(
  • Options
    @ladyk127, we also have the Britax B Ready. I’ve had it for five years and it’s still in perfect condition. And we’ve used it a TON. Like @Eveinshock said, one seat sits underneath the other (rather than in front like a lot of other double strollers), so the stroller is very compact and maneuverable. I also like that’s it’s a whole “system,” so you don’t need any adapters for it. 
    That being said, if I were in the market for a NEW double stroller, I would get the City Select lux baby jogger. Two of my SIL’s have it and I just love the features it has. The hand brake alone sells me on it since I walk a ton of hills. Plus the storage is awesome and I just love the look of it!  
  • Options
    @cyanope @Eveinshock I haven’t heard of any of those so thank you for the suggestions! I will look at them, especially the Britax one. Thank you!

• Options
    pickle-chipspickle-chips member
    edited January 2021
    @ladyk127 we have the uppababy vista and I’ve loved it. I find it very manoeuvrable in tight spots. It’s also been perfectly fine on crushed gravel trails, which I was worried about. It also breaks down easily to fit in the back of our hatchback. It is a bit pricey and I think MH just about died when I told him how much it was. But when I think back to hauling around a newborn and a toddler (my kids are 22 months apart, so I briefly had two under two) it has been absolutely worth it. We also used the bassinet with a stand in our room for the first few months after BB2 was born before transitioning to his crib. And we still use it loads and are very happy with our decision. 

I will say, my dream stroller is the Thule urban glide. We had one for our first kiddo and I originally planned to keep it and primarily babywear our youngest. I decided that was too much to manage in winter (December baby) so we sold the Thule to get the vista. The Thule double stroller is a side by side, which I didn’t want. And we also wouldn’t have been able to use it with an infant because we don’t have bucket seat style car seats. And even though I sometimes look longingly at a passing Thule like a total weirdo, I would still go with the vista and all of the flexibility of the arrangements. I really think it had a big impact on my freedom, independence and confidence in those early days. 

TL;DR the uppababy vista has worked really well for our family and I do recommend it to friends who ask!
    ETA photo of it in action.  
  • Options
    I’ve been looking at the mockingbird since it’s able to convert from single to double and is a reasonable price point, but I wish I could test it before I buy. I’ll definitely be looking into the ones you all recommended, thank you all for sharing your wisdom 😌 
  • Options
    @jaxalia one of my friends has mockingbird and likes it a lot! No personal experience with it. 

@ladyk127 we also have uppababy Vista and that thing is built SO well. Lasted last 2 yrs taking it out pretty frequently through the city. It is big and takes up a lot of trunk space in our sedan. I'll see how useful it is as a double since I think rumble seat is only good to 35 lb. We might be able to get couple months with a bassinet and rumble seat and then switch over to a seat and stand. Not sure yet. We have single Zoe for traveling and its a good single but the handling is def worse than Vista. 
  • Options
    @pickle-chips Thank you, I appreciate all of that.  I really like the Vista, and a friend of mine had the Cruz but that's just the single I believe.  I'm leaning towards that one but I'm afraid my husband will lose his shit if I buy a $900 stroller.  I do like the bassinet thing though too.  I saw they sell the stand for that.  We have my husband's old cradle/crib thing that we used for my daughter so I dont think I can sell him on a two-for-one deal with the bassinet.  It won't stop me from trying though.

@jaxalia I've seen soooo many ads for the Mockingbird.  It looks nice, but I wish I could see it in person also.  I dont know anyone that has one, so I can't ask them either.  I do know people that loved the Uppababy so idk..

@hannelorre I dont know anyone that regrets getting the Vista.  That you for your insight!

• Options
    @ladyk127 so we actually got a floor model at buybuybaby (the only one with color that we wanted) with the registry completion discount and it was about 30% off. Still pricy but better. 
  • Options
    @ladyk127 a friend also got her Vista at quite a discount through Nordstrom’s during one of their sales. 
  • Options
    @hannelorre @surrenderdorothy I've been looking at Facebook marketplace but it's grossing me out and I dont think I can do that.  I may just have to bite the bullet.  I'm going to check our Nordstroms and BuyBuyBaby though! thanks!

• Options
    @ladyk127 yeah I'm with you on that. Probably a UO but I am really weird about used baby stuff. (Unless it is from family or a very close friend.)  :#
  • Options
    grogugrogu member
    edited January 2021
    @ladyk127 @surrenderdorothy I buy 90% of my baby stuff used, including cloth diapers! I cannot stomach spending thousands of dollars for things that are only used for such a short time. I just got 40 bum genius diapers for $50(cad)! That's the price of buying 2 new diapers. I am pumped. 
    I also got my strollers second for $30 and they are great. 

ETA: The only baby item I will not buy used is a car seat. Other than that I am not too picky.
  • Options
    @grogu I also bought a stack of mint condition bum genius diapers from someone off Facebook marketplace (two years ago now). Turned out she lived a street over and we are now best friends and our kids are friends haha. 
  • Options
    I also never considered buying used baby stuff. BUT now that I had my own kids I realized how much of our stuff is barely touched, some literally untouched, anyone would be lucky to have it.  After this one I am getting rid of it all. 
  • Options
    @grogu I have a lot of used baby stuff from friends and family members, but I think it's the bassinet making me not want to get a used stroller on FB.  I saw one and the inside was really dirty and it put me off the whole thing.  The rest of the stroller I wouldn't mind being used.  The bassinet bit makes it feel different for me.  Like a used mattress or something, idk.  Even though it's all the same kid sitting in it lol 

• Options
    My progesterone went down from 13.7 at 7 weeks to 11.2 at 8 weeks.... I’ve been waiting to get in with an OB and finally have an appointment on Friday morning. These tests were ordered by my acupuncturist in the birthing center, she’s not super alarmed but wants to discuss supplementation. I’ve been through MMC so this has me so down and thinking the worst, I need to get out of the Google hole. Has anyone had this experience of reducing progesterone levels? 
  • Options
    @cocoliso13 I have and unfortunately it didn’t end well.  FX that they can get you on some form of progesterone soon!  Remember that levels can fluctuate through the days.  They typically test more than twice to see if there is a trend.  
  • Options
    @ladyk127 I will be my third and I am not sure if I need another stroller.  I’ll have a 6y, 2y, and newborn.  I have a bob duallie that I love for long walks and runs but it’s HUUUGE and heavy and can’t go through doorways.  I also have an older model sit n stand which is a great option if your older kid walks and doesn’t need stroller naps.  
    I could probably get by with those (and my city mini) but I’d like the option of my oldest hoping on a glider board or bench seat sometimes on long walks or crowded places or just because she might like to. 
    I’ve looked at the city select lux, joovy qool and uppa baby vista with glider board and I’m very undecided.  
  • Options
    @clobert My 6 year old is just too big to ride at all.  He's in the 50th percentile for height and weight for a 9 year old.  He gets his height from his dad.  He's just a big kid.  But my 2 year old might stand and ride, I just would like another seat to avoid the meltdowns if she can't sit also.  I keep meaning to look up the Joovy one.

• Options
    Ladies that were interested in the UppaBaby Vista (@ladyk127) Buy Buy Baby has certain colors $180 off. I just got the green one. Pretty pumped since it never goes on sale.