April 2021 Moms

Random Thread

1789101113»

Re: Random Thread

• We finally have a plan for DS when I deliver! My sister is getting her vaccine so I feel better about her taking him for a few days. The downside is she lives about 3 hours away. She *says* she’s willing to come any time day or night, but in reality she’s a single mom of 3 adopted kids, so she’d have to find last minute care for them. She’s talked to her nanny and she’s also on board to come stay with the kids any time in case it’s overnight, but to my ocd braid it’s a lot of pieces to work together so that DH can be at the hospital within 3 hours. Worst case scenario, DH drops me off at the hospital and drives him down to her and could be back in 6 hours. In reality, my first labor started with my water breaking and then it was still 30 hours, so I’m not anticipating a quick birth. My mind keeps going to the what-ifs though, like what if my sister doesn’t wake up to her phone (she sleeps like the dead), what if the nanny can’t come immediately, or what if my water doesn’t break and I can’t tell if it’s false labor. We just hired a doula so I officially shouldn’t be *alone*, which was my biggest concern. I went into less detail but mentioned most of that to my doctor and she mentioned we could plan an induction, which really surprised me. It would be at 39 weeks, which I’m kind of worried I won’t make it to anyway since DS was 2.5 weeks early, but I don’t know how I feel about induction for the convenience of having DH there the whole time and known childcare in advance. What do you ladies think? Worth it? Crazy? Do I even care if he’s there since I’ll have a doula, who I expect will be way more support than he will be?

TL;DR- What are your thoughts on a 39 week induction for the convenience of having DS’ childcare planned out and DH there the whole time?
  • @forevertired it is a tough situation to be in but I think it will be all about weighing the stress levels and possible outcomes of each situation and choosing the one you feel more comfortable with in the end. Stress and anxiety are the enemy of progressive labor so whatever ends up reducing your stress is the right option for you! Having a planned date might just make you feel a BIT more in control (I say a bit because let’s be honest unless you plan a c at 37 w none of us are truly in control of our births and that’s ok, it’s part of the beauty of it!). Just because you schedule an induction though doesn’t mean you’re bound to it—if you get to the day and your cervix is still completely unripened you can always push it back! Or you could schedule your date and babe could have other ideas and come early. But maybe just having that day down will make you feel a little better and then you can always adjust when it gets closer.
    Another thought, now that you’ve hired a doula, you could ask her if she knows of a trusted sibling doula (it’s a thing!) who might be available to sit with your son for the time it takes your sister or her nanny to make the drive. The next two months is plenty of time to get to know a potential sitter even if they are just with your son for a few hours. If you plan on riding out early labor at home you should have plenty of time for sis to make it but having someone on call could ease your stress too! You still have time and options and at the end of the day whatever you choose is the right choice for you. ❤️
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you guys for all the responses! 
  • @theblondebump I don’t have the itchy armpit symptom but that sounds irritating to say the least. And for the most part I haven’t been shaving my legs much and when I do it’s spotty at best 😂 I don’t even acknowledge that the hairs are there  which is so not like me. I’ve even been sporting shorts. 
  • @grilledcheeezin I couldn’t have an epidural with my first child due to low platelets. I had a csection and ended up being given a nerve block injection and delivering under general anesthesia. While most people wouldn’t want to deliver under general anesthesia (I didn’t really have choice because of other complications) the nerve block might be a good option for you. Some places also have an option to do nitrous oxide.