April 2021 Moms
Options

Random Thread

Re: Random Thread

• Options
    This is the one my mum got me. I also have the separation of the abdominal muscles and my belly button is def sticking out! That’s another reason besides the sciatica my doctor recommended the band! She said it would help both problems and so far it really has!  
  • Options
    @jenn622-2 oh gosh, ouch! The left side pain makes me think sciatica (the nurse I talked to today said it’s always left back/butt/leg) but I’m not sure about the pelvic pain! Maybe you have a terrible combination of both 😭 I used heat for the first time today - DH was a saint and bought a heating pad this afternoon! It helped while I was leaning against it, but didn’t provide any lasting relief. I’ve only used it once though, so it may help more over time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bbrahmbhatt Ugh, the GD is not fun. It's not the end of the world, but like I feel like when I'm pregnant I should be able to indulge in delicious things like donuts and milkshakes and those are all out the window now :( I obsessively weigh and track every single thing I eat, so my numbers have all been pretty good. Don't think I will need any insulin or meds to manage the GD, but it's not fun! DH and I cook a lot so it's not difficult to follow the GD rules, but I love candy, desserts and carbs so I'll definitely be anxious for this to be over!! 

I've come up with a lot of good recipes that have been working well, so if anyone else ends up getting diagnosed with GD, I'll be your girl! haha. 

@jenn622-2 ugh, sorry to hear about your pain! I tried ice, but I found that heat helped much more. I actually bought the CVS brand heat patches and found that they stayed hot literally ALL day, I was shocked, and they worked really well for me. With the heating pad, it was hard to really target the heat on the area of my low back/butt that was hurting without literally holding it in place with pressure, so I would really recommend the heat patches. 
  • Options
    Sciatica commiserating—I had it bad with my first, escaped it with my second, and sure enough two days ago picked up my 1yo went to take a step and crumbled to the floor. 😫 Mine is an intense sudden sharp pain in my left butt cheek, no warning and when it’s done it’s gone entirely. But it really just catches me off guard and it’s debilitating for a second. 

@bbrahmbhatt I’m already half way across the country from all my family and in-laws, they were living with us for 6 weeks but that seems like a lifetime ago in the face of all that’s happened since lol but yes we will be entirely across the country now. Which gives us an excuse not to go to the in-law family vacation this year 👍👍
  • Options
    @theblondebump I got an umbilical hernia after my 1st (or 2nd maybe?). It's super annoying!! There's technically a procedure they can do to help fix it, but you're supposed to wait until you're totally done having babies bc another pregnancy would mess up the work...so here I am 4 years later still with it haha. If you have any questions on it let me know - I've been living with it for a while!
  • Options
    bblair24bblair24 member
    edited January 2021
    @Serenamarr, that's how my sciatica was with our first - it would just come and go as it pleased. I also avoided it with my second! And with this one, since Friday evening it's been pretty much constant. If I position just right on the heating pad, I might not feel it at that exact moment. Otherwise it's always there in some sense and gets much worse when I move. 
  • Options
    Thank you @goldpolkadot !! Did you wear a belly band?
  • Options
    I am here to sing the praises of a maternity support belt.  I have been so uncomfortable lately (especially struggling with back pain) and the belt really seems to help.  I don't have sciatica or an umbilical hernia so I am not sure it would help with those particular issues.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kadeephd which belly band do you have?
  • Options
    I had the surgical procedure to fix my umbilical hernia, and then got pregnant again. Oops. 

If anyone DOES go that route, please discuss how your belly button will look post-surgery because I was very unpleasantly surprised. 
  • Options
    @Serenamarr omg no way!!! So crazy and frustrating to not be able to "settle" in your new place after a move. I hope you love settling in CA though and that's exciting about his new job! 
  • Options
    @eahayes we moved from pa to Texas exactly 1 year ago when dd1 was 2 months and now we’ll be doing it again when dd2 is 2 months 😂 but this time with a toddler too.. god help us all. On the bright side virtual house hunting is free and keeps me off of Amazon ordering dumb crap I don’t need. 
  • Options
    @BuckeyeNut05 - good to know about the surgery!

@kadeephd - thank you! Just ordered it! Hopefully it helps!
  • Options
    @theblondebump I definitely wore a belt if I was going on a long walk or especially on the handful of times when we traveled and I was going to be walking for long stretches (airports, sightseeing, etc.). It helped for sure but I felt like it was kind of annoying and bulky for just regular work days. But I was happy to own one! 

@BuckeyeNut05 omg do tell, please! I've started researching the surgery but this has not come up yet for me! I'm trying to mentally prep myself (& figure out logistics) on recovery time with 3 kids at home but that's as far as I've gotten.
  • Options
    kadeephdkadeephd member
    edited January 2021
    @theblondebump Hope it helps!  Yesterday was the first day I wore it from the time I woke up until the evening and I noticed a bit difference in my back by the end of the day.  It was annoying to take it on and off every time I had to pee (I wear it over the panel of my maternity pants bc otherwise I fiind it chafes) but I think it was worth it.

ETA:  I am reaidng that it might not be a great idea to wear this thing all day long since it could restrict blood flow and/or cause muscle atrophy, so I'm going to try just wearing it in the morning today.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This is probably a UO but is anyone else planning to go straight to formula this time or done it previously? I can’t decide if I should bother with getting a pump again or not. Leaning towards no but that kind of gives me anxiety like I’ll be unprepared or something if suddenly third time around I am able to nurse successfully. I’m also curious about how it will go in the hospital and would love to hear other’s experiences if you’ve done it this way.
  • Options
    @juliebird6, I've only EBF at birth, but I have always done a mix a of formula and breast milk when I return to work. I hate pumping. My last two times, they asked if I was planning to breastfeed and that was that. My friends who formula fed had the same experience. Breastfeeding is promoted, but not pushed. The problem for a while was formula was promoted over breastfeeding. I actually had to demand DD1 was NOT given a bottle while she was away from me. I think the policy changed in the early 2010s.
  • Options
    @aisukurimsarang yeah I'm not planning to nurse at all, just based on prior experience. So I'm not sure what will look like...like the golden hour/skin to skin right after birth? In the past, I have spent that time trying to get baby to latch and all that but if I'm just planning to formula feed, that seems like it would be confusing and pointless for baby to nurse for 2 days in the hospital and immediately go home and do something different.
  • Options
    @juliebird6 I knew I was going to breastfeed but I didn't bother to order a pump. The lactation consultant in the hospital ordered it for me while I was there and it was delivered the day after I got home. So all that to say if things seem to be different once baby is born you can order a pump after. 
  • Options
    @juliebird6 I hated pumping. I could never get enough out and it would hurt.  I EBF for the first 3-4 months but then I had to go back to school and ended up having to supplement with formula when I was in class.  This time I only plan on being on maternity leave for 4-6 weeks after labor so I am definitely ordering a pump.  Babe is allowed to come with me to the office so I don't know how much I will need it anyway. Nursing at first was really hard for DD1 since apparently I had "underdeveloped nipples".  I also was just never taught how to get a good latch until my nipples started to bleed a week post partum. A nipple shield was the only thing that helped me breastfeed in the beginning. 
  • Options
    @goldpolkadot before and after in spoiler.  I was NOT happy. I hate my belly button now.  

• Options
    @juliebird6 nursing has always been awful for me, like excruciating, I’ve seen LCs, tried shields, everything but with both kids I’ve ended up exclusively pumping. I suck up the pain for the first few days just because I know how valuable that colostrum is for the baby and it’s just convenient to pop a boob in there while in the hospital setting. I still tried to nurse like once a day for the first month to support the production of antibodies for baby. Pumping has its own challenges for sure and there are a million different factors to work out to get it right but I think ultimately it’s whatever works best for you. 
  • Options
    Solidarity with nursing struggles! I’m going to give it another try this time and hope I am more successful but I’m not going to make myself so crazy with it if it doesn’t work out. I felt so much pressure to BF with my first but my body just was not making enough milk and I was so upset about it. I hope we all get the opportunity to feed our babies however we feel is best for us without stress and guilt!! 

@juliebird6 if you get a free pump through insurance I say just get it and you can always donate it to someone else who needs it if you don’t use it. Why pass up free stuff!
  • Options
    I just don't make enough milk so unless there is something wildly different this time (which I expect will NOT be the case since this is my 3rd go), I don't think it's even worth pumping. But I guess I can always get the pump and donate! That’s a good idea @jenn622-2
  • Options
    @juliebird6 I have the spectra pump and it's fine but I haaaate pumping! I think it'll be even worse trying to manage it with two kids! I have no qualms about going to formula when I feel like I need to this time- I was nervous to with my son (felt guilty because BF luckily wasn't that challenging for me) but I instantly felt more balanced hormonally and like I actually bonded more with my son bc I wasn't on my phone while feeding him! Getting the pump and donating if you need to is a good idea!
  • Options
    @BuckeyeNut05 it’s like you get a totally different belly button, crazy! I had no idea!! Oh man I hadn’t thought about the fact that it would look different - mentally I was just thinking “back to normal”, you know?? Did the surgery at least work in terms of your belly button being flat?
  • Options
    @juliebird6 the Golden hour works the same, I promise. Cuddles, snuggles, etc. Just no nursing. Maybe ask or bring a newborn bottle so you CAN feed in that hour. You can also nurse colostrum for the antibodies, then stop. It should be completely your choice, with no shaming. FED IS BEST
  • Options
    @goldpolkadot I didn’t really ever have a bump there since it was a small hernia (it was right above my belly button), I got it done more so I wouldn’t worry about it getting worse when I used my abs when I worked out. So, it served its purpose but made my belly button ugly in the process. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

And I second @aisukurimsarang, @juliebird6 .  You do what’s best for YOU without giving what others think a care in the world. Your choice, your baby will do great either way. 
  • Options
    I am really struggling here. I still haven't told my employer I'm pregnant, and now, with weekly visits, I have to figure out how to tell him one day a week, I'm going to be late. 

I'm so nervous. When I told my last employer I was pregnant, 2 days later they came up with a vague and asinine reason to terminate me! Sure. I can't prove it. But, come on. It's one huge arse coincidence.

I just don't know what to do. I can't afford to lose my job again. I just barely dug myself out. 
  • Options
    @aisukurimsarang do you have a reason to believe your current employer would do the same thing? What type of job do you have? I know you are worried but think it might be better to bite the bullet and let them know. I'm sorry for the stress!
  • Options
    BuckeyeNut05BuckeyeNut05 member
    edited February 2021
    @aisukurimsarang is directly sharing with just HR an option if you aren’t comfortable yet?  Perhaps if you share with them, and just let your manager know that you have a medical condition for which you’ll need to see a doctor, causing you to be late might work until you’re ready. That said, we’re pretty far along so I would put together a plan to get it out on the table sooner rather than later so they can prepare for your absence. I understand the hesitation with what happened before, sorry you had to go through that. 

Edited for grammar. 
  • Options
    @runsoncoffee, it's always a possibility. For some reason, it comes as a complete shock when a woman in IT becomes pregnant. It's like they think my reproductive system doesn't work like the women in other departments or something. It's hard enough to be a woman in IT because no one takes you seriously. Sexual bias and discrimination are pretty rampant, usually from other women. But, men don't get the whole needing time off to have a baby thing. 

@BuckeyeNut05, yeah. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet. I came across the quote today that fits perfectly. And I'm trying to take it to heart. I can find another job. I can't sacrifice my health or Zoe's because I'm afraid of losing this one because my boss is a clueless, sexist, gender biased male. 

“Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. You name them—work, family, health, friends and spirit—and you're keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four balls—family, health, friends and spirit—are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for balance in your life.” - Bryan Dyson  

• Options
    Good luck @aisukurimsarang - that's a tough one but hoping your current boss is more understanding than your past experiences.

I'm struggling today. I've been fighting a sore throat for over a week and up every few hours to pee at night (still). I am wiped and just canceled a group and crashed for 90 minutes (NEVER able to sleep during the day). Of course because it's 2021, I took an at home COVID test and am hoping it says negative!
  • Options
    @eahayes I hope you start to feel better soon and that it just ends up being a little cold!
  • Options
    @eahayes I didn’t know at home tests were out there! This may be bad for me to know because I think every allergy attack
    is covid!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @eahayes I hope you feel better soon and that it’s just a cold! ❤️
  • Options
    Well, I was right to be concerned. They'll give me two weeks to return to work before they seek a replacement. The US has GOT to fix this. A woman shouldn't have to find a new job every time she has a child. This will be the third job I've lost because of loop holes in the system. 
  • Options
    @aisukurimsarang WHAT?! Aren't they required to give you 12 weeks of FMLA? I thought that was a federally mandated law, but that some states have even better state laws. I would be FURIOUS. The US has such a broken system when it comes to parental leaves. Ugh, so disgusting.