July 2020 Moms

Say What?!

124»

Re: Say What?!

• Had a meeting at Starbucks after work today. I had already had a coffee and a green tea earlier in the day so I got one of those spindrift seltzer cans. The cashier was ringing me up and asked “do you miss coffee?” I was like huh? And then I realized he meant because I was pregnant. I was like “oh no I still drink coffee, just already had too much today!” He looked shocked and was like “you DO?? That baby is going to be wired!” I was like ha... yeah... ok weird Starbucks kid (looked young to me but I feel like everyone under the age of 30 looks going to me now lol).
  • @meanjellybean yes, because teenage boys are so knowledgable on pregnancy. :expressionless:
  • Loading the player...
  • @stlbuckeye132 It's unnerving for sure. And it's never just a glance, it's usually a stare. It's so awkward. Like, what is SO interesting to see down there that people have to stare? At least with big boobs you can maybe pull your shirt up your chest a little bit or close your jacket or whatever, but hiding a belly isn't easy.
  • @stlbuckeye132 I loathe the stare at the belly business. A friend of mine keeps doing it (accidently I am sure) and I'm debating a gentle call out. I also haven't seen my in-laws since January or my mom since Thanksgiving and am seeing them both in 3ish weeks and imagine there will be lots of belly stares.
  • Ugh yes the belly stare. I don't know why it makes me more self conscious this time around, maybe because I feel like my belly is so much bigger so much earlier. I was always kind of proud of my belly last time and didn't mind if people took notice, but this time I just feel like everyone must be thinking I'm huge and due next month or something. This is mostly based on comments people have made over the last few weeks - my doc isn't concerned and says I'm measuring on schedule so that's comforting. People just have zero chill.
  • @meanjellybean I'm the opposite, unless I'm wearing very specific maternity clothes I think I just look kind of chunky/not like I'm almost 23 weeks pregnant so when folks who know look I'm like "I swear it's not just winter storage, there is a human in there".
  • @meanjellybean are we the same person?! lol... I'm the same this time... I was really proud of my bump last time but I just feel really fat this time. Like, there's a bump, but it's bigger and I feel like there's more fat on top of it than last time and I'm just soooo self conscious about it.
  • @blaf322 lol yes apparently the same person. Last time I felt like my bump was cute and round and low. This time it's huge and sticking straight out and not as round... blahhh
  • Guess I"m in the FTM group of enjoying my new bump. But I HATE when people stare. stop looking at me. I have really bad social anxiety, leave me alone. Stare at your own belly. 
  • @nursejenn5 for me it's not that I don't enjoy my bump, but it's more that some people seem to ONLY care about the bump and forget about the human carrying the bump.
  • @kc0711 RUDE, I get that you can't do this but I would reach out and rub their bellies right back and be like "awkward isn't it, touching people without consent". I'm not showing so so much still but am girding my loins for family time in April where there may be some rogue belly touchers.
  • @kc0711 I vote for hand swatting! :lol: and this is why I would not work well in healthcare...
  • @kc0711 ugh, people. I had exactly one patient touch my belly last pregnancy and I was too shocked to really react. She wasn’t elderly or confused or anything. Just a middle aged woman with no boundaries, apparently. Totally wish that swatting was a thing that was not only allowed, but encouraged 😂
  • @kristinl492 We encourage it, let us know if we should make it official and jargon-y for an employee handbook!  :p
  • @mrs_sheddy omg I'm so uncomfortable just reading that...
  • @mrs_sheddy should’ve done the same thing back to him and said, “I heard you’re due for a prostate exam.” What an ass.
  • @kristinl492 he's a creep and probably would have actually enjoyed that!  :s 
  • @mrs_sheddy oh. my. word. That is so disturbing!
  • @kristinl492 Def a moment to "accidentally" step on their toe or something, what a tool.
  • @mrs_sheddy 😳 wtf?! 

@kristinl492 you’re such a jerk... I can’t believe you don’t want random patients touching your belly! 😂
  • @pocketrose @blaf322 quite a sick patient too. Holding tissues and a basin that they kept spitting mucous into, on a lot of oxygen. NO THANKS. 
  • and_peggyand_peggy member
    edited March 2020
    So we were flying home last night and our flight was delayed 2 hours so we had time to kill and went to a sit down restaurant in the airport. My kids were already on overload with traveling and it was like 2 hours past bedtime already. Anyways, they were doing surprisingly well, but I know we overwhelm people when we’re in public. I see the sighs and eye rolls when I walk by with a 3, 2, and 1 year old.

So, after sitting through dinner quietly, our waitress walked by and whispered, “I can get you a shot of tequila before you leave.” I thought it was funny. So I said, “Oh I would but I’m pregnant.” To which she responded, “Of course you are,” followed by uncontrollable laughter on her end for a good 5 minutes. She was still laughing as we were leaving. I guess I don’t get the joke. I’m honestly just tired of jokes about my choice to have 4 kids in 4 years. I’m not a sensitive person but it just hurts my feelings when people assume that I couldn’t possibly have planned one or two of them.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • modoodlesmodoodles member
    edited March 2020
    I'm so sorry @rachstar18 ! That is so insensitive and quite honestly rude AF too. 

Edited- I tagged the wrong Rachael/Rachel. 
  • @rachstar18 What an asshole. I’m sorry you had to deal with her!
  • @rachstar18 I would hope she was laughing at herself for not realizing you have a belly? B/c, otherwise, what an asshat
  • @blaf322 my husband was trying to make me feel better about it. His take was that she meant it as the one person who really needed the alcohol couldn’t have it. But I’m not buying it, just with how her body language was and everything.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19