March 2019 Moms
Options

Pregnant and Working

123457»

Re: Pregnant and Working

• Options
    @3rdtime_charmed I’d agree with meggy - can you do reduced hours to keep you occupied, but not over do it? Or could you plug into some telemedicine consult type program so you can keep yourself busy, without being on your feet all day?
  • Options
    @gowenc I think I'm coming to the same conclusion. It's already getting harder and harder to get myself into work, a week or so to rest before baby comes wouldn't be the worst thing. And I'll probably have a trillion appointments at that point, so I could end up with half of the work week being spent on sick leave anyway.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lelkcot and @meggyme I do case reviews for a big hospital system (in addition to my regular clinical hours which I had to stop at 28 weeks because I was contracting too much) so I can do it from home, and I’m not on my feet, but the timelines can be rough. They need immediate answers on patients that are still in the hospital. So things like bathroom breaks, snacks lunch etc, get challenging while I spend 10-12 hours pouring over the computer. It’s not nearly as challenging as what is asked of many pregnant women but the computer work is becoming pretty taxing because I have some pretty good back pain. I have tried a lap desk and so forth but it doesn’t really matter. I’m measuring 40 weeks now and have so much fluid on board, I’m uncomfortable no matter what I do! I could go into labor at anytime (my doc is estimating I have about two weeks to go). I think I will just ask if they will let me do some partial shifts. 6a-6p is what I did yesterday and I just get so cranky by the end!! I mostly just need to vent though, my husband wants me to work because I have no paid leave but I don’t feel like he gets how miserable I am. Last night he was complaining about this very minor case of the sniffles he has and I went all Preggo rage on him!

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• Options
    Maybe this is a UO, but I think we should get off sooner from work, especially since you can't really know when the baby(ies) is coming. Working just isn't all that conducive to being pregnant. Sitting at a desk all day (or being on your feet all day at the other side of the spectrum) is hard on a prego body. Hard to take bathroom breaks, hard to eat at the right times, it's all just hard! My first was born at 39 weeks, and I would've loved to have taken time beforehand to do the things I wanted to do (yoga, walking, haircut, all that stuff). This time I'm going out at 37 weeks, earlier if possible. I say if you can financially do it @3rdtime_charmed, don't pile more on your plate.
  • Options
    @lindseyb918 I was in California for my last pregnancy and you could take up to a month before your due date, paid through CA SDI. It was nice and I definitely miss it now that VA has virtually no paid maternity leave. I only get it because I have STDI through work, and even then the first month I have to take vacation time and it pays at 60% of my salary.
  • Options
    @3rdtime_charmed you’re in the third trimester of growing two humans, you can vent all you want!! And 10-12 hour shifts, even at a comfortable desk, is a lot a this phase of pregnancy. Hope they’ll work with you and let you cut back your hours! 
  • Options
    @3rdtime_charmed there are very few things I find as annoying as when MH complains about being mansick while I am still throwing up several times a day.  Glad you unleashed your preggo rage and hope you can reduce your shifts to make yourself more comfortable!
  • Options
    @dtspmama @3rdtime_charmed my favorite is when MH complains about not sleeping well. :|
  • Options
    @meggyme @3rdtime_charmed THE WORST.  Last night DD1 woke up at 1:30 am (because her sheets were tangled, WTF) and DD2 woke up at 2:30 (teething, I suspect) and MH slept through the ENTIRE thing, then told me he wished he didn't have to get out of bed this morning.  
  • Options
    @dtspmama there was one night a few months ago where DH was tossing and turning all night and the next morning declared it the worst sleep he's gotten in 10 years. Mind you, we have a 2.5 year old. I was flabbergasted and made a mental note that this time around he needs to get up with the baby more.
  • Options
    Loving all these complaining husband stories... lol

I was off work for 2 or 3 weeks before baby last time, because I fell down the stairs and sprained my knee, and it was also Christmas time. I was so bored and impatient. This time around I am working until he comes out. For me having that time wasn’t relaxing. I need to be busy or I will just be thinking about it every minute. It’s also easy for me to say, because I work at home. If I was in a more physical job or had a long commute I would probably feel differently. 
  • Options
    You all made me feel better. The plan was to tell them after my US tomorrow because if there are issues then it all may be moot. I will ask for half days. 

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• Options
    How is everyone doing?!

I don't know if this is better in the say what thread, but the last few weeks have been interesting with people walking by/ calling just to see if I'm here. I've also been left off lots of meetings because I guess people figure I won't be around to resolve issues. It's the same feeling as when I've quit jobs in the past - people have stopped giving me new assignments and assumed some of my normal workload so they can practice filling in for me while I'm here. Kind of nice but weird!
  • Options
    I wouldn’t like being left out!!! 

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• Options
    @3rdtime_charmed depending on how big the meeting is, I feel left out. If the entire hall is empty, yeah I feel left out! 
  • Options
    @govanalyst86 wow, that's rude from their side. I'm dealing with the opposite issue actually. They've been involving me in more and more projects, like there is no possibility of the baby arriving earlier. And my manager cancelled our 1:1 today for going to a dr appointment and is going on vacation until the 4th, and said "let's sync up when I'm back"... Yeah, sure, but only if the baby decides to stay put (I'll be 38,5 weeks then!). I found out yesterday that they changed the policy for short-term disability before birth, and now it doesn't automatically eat up sick days anymore (can be just left unpaid), and I was toying with the idea, but with nobody to discuss it with, I guess I won't take it and instead work until I go into labor :disappointed:

• Options
    @mihaelams1 I have to admit that for the most part it has been kind of fantastic to spend more time working independently than in meetings. Sounds like they're going to try to get your input on everything they can before you leave! 

Good luck with figuring out if you want to push for some unpaid time. I'm planning to push for an infant at work pilot so baby girl has a little more developed immune system when we put her in daycare.