March 2019 Moms

Pregnant and Working

Re: Pregnant and Working

• @bluebell08 unless they are going to pay you to be on call during your maternity leave I would not answer the phone. Even then it's not like you're on vacation, you'll be tired, up all hours of the night, going to doctor's appointments, etc. Not exactly ready for work.

It sounds like your manager needs to sort of post the temporary position so that your contracting company can hire someone, presumably because they'll need to be an additional position on the contract in order for you to train them prior to you leaving. Maybe when your boss says you need to set all this stuff up he means your company? Can you put your manager in contact directly with someone at your company for them to work out the details? I can understand your boss wanting you to sit in on interviews to find a good candidate, but putting the whole load of finding your replacement isn't your responsibility. You're on leave in March whether they have a replacement or not.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @bluebell08 as a contractor you don’t have the same rights/protection. I have three different contracts and I’m handling all of them differently. 
     I think it’s up to you what you feel comfortable doing, but set your boundaries ahead of timeand stick to it! 
    Im including the details for example.
    In my favorite and least demanding gig, I am not taking any leave. They won’t call me in the hospital, but if they need me after, they will call. I can’t easily be replaced and am in a supervisor role. I can bring the twins in with me if I need to go in but will work from home. I plan to give them about 10 hours a month even during my “leave”. But I will still be getting paid.
    Im helping to find and train my replacement for my highest hour contract, because I want to maintain a good  relationship and recognize that they don’t have to take me back. 
    My last contract I’m considering about quitting.

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • @3rdtime_charmed do you have any short term disability insurance to deal with? Generally if you work during your leave then you are no longer qualified for it.
  • @meggyme I do not. I would’ve had to buy a personal policy. As an independent contractor I dont qualify for one with any of the three organizations I work for. I would assume most contractors are in the same boat.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• @3rdtime_charmed it depends on the company. I'm a full time government contractor and my company offers a STDI policy, but it's an employee owned organization. In other places, like CA and I think MA, the state has a STDI program that you're automatically enrolled in.
  • @meggyme I do agree with you though, if you are on official FMLA or short disability, then you shouldn't work at all.  There are a few exceptions required for certain state licenses/certifications in health care (continuity of care) that I'm aware of, but not many.

I'm married to a government employee, and his benefits are unbelievable.  That's the only reason we could be so risky and have me go without coverage for so long. 

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• @meggyme That was my thinking. My 12 weeks are unpaid so I shouldn't be expected to answer my phone at all. You bring up a good point though. Its probably time to have HR from my contract company contact him and possibly set up a meeting or phone call of sort to get things sorted out. Maybe having a more official meeting would help with the fly by comments and get things set in stone. 

@3rdtime_charmed I'm full time contract. With my contract company I have 12 weeks protected maternity leave and 12 weeks FMLA. I've been in the position for 4 years so thankfully I have worked with the HR department for a while. 
  • @bluebell08 totally ignore me then!  Al my stuff only applies to self-employed/independent contractors. 

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• @3rdtime_charmed Ohh no thank you for the reply. All the rules for different contractors & companies are so different I appreciate all aspects.
  • My agency has officially re-org’d effective yesterday. I’m on a new unit now. Found out my title, assignments and projects, and boss will be the same but the unit I will be on will have a “team lead” that provides technical oversight and management. So frustrated and disappointed. I had hoped this transition would provide new opportunities for growth and more projects that I enjoy but it will actually be another layer of bureaucracy. 😔
  • @meggyme congratulations on the promising opportunity on the horizon! That’s really exciting! And thanks for the encouragement to look into the team lead position. I’ll see what it looks like when it gets posted.
  • Question for working mamas, especially teachers. I started a new teaching job this year (I pull kids out of the classroom for small groups) so it’s a more flexible schedule than classroom teaching. I let them know I am expecting and that went well. Next year, I want to drop down to 3-4 days per week but I’m not really sure how to broach this subject and with whom or when I should bring it up. Any suggestions??
  • Fellow contractors - this isn’t actually pregnancy related, but how long do you give clients/employers to pay your invoice and do you have language around late fees? I’m new to being a contractor and getting a little frustrated!
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited November 2018
    I don't typically deal with this because I'm not an independent cotnractor. I think @3rdtime_charmed is. With all the small companies I work with on a personal level (pest control, landscapers, etc...) I'd probably expect on time payment to be within 2 weeks-30 days of receipt of invoice. After 30 days I'd expect some kind of late fee (especially if I hadn't contacted them with any extenuating circumstances) and after 90 days of no contact/payment with late fees I'd expect to be sent to collections.
  • I would add that if your invoices don’t already have payment terms on them, consider adding them! 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • It's open enrollment season! What changes are you making to your benefits to accomodate for our incoming LO's? Remember, that you can generally also change elections after a "life event" such as having a child.
  • @meggyme thanks!
    @mamakate1616 thanks, I actually have a “please pay within 15 days” on my invoice and in the contract (which was their contract, so you’d think they’d be on top of it)... guess I need to consider adding late payments fees or something to the invoice as well.
  • Ug! That would make me really mad too. What industry are you in? Maybe a more assertive phrasing like “payment due within 15 days of service” or something so it sounds mandatory and less like a suggested timeframe. Late fees are totally fair! 

I don’t think we are making any health plan changes during this open enrollment season. Our premiums are getting jacked way up despite all kinds of notes from OPM about this year having the lowest premium increases since 1996....ours are going up like $250/month! Can’t complain too much since they are covering just about everything related to my high risk pregnancy, but we plan to reevaluate once we are done having kids.
    Also we are considering adding dental insurance since DD is old enough to need to go and there might actually be some benefit over paying out of pocket with 3 of us. 
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • I'm keeping my selections mostly the same. Our health insurance is Tricare through MH, so aside from the headache of adding DD2 to the system we shouldn't have to do much. I'm trying to figure out my FSA's though. I have a Medical FSA, which has $250 from this year that will roll over, and I'm expecting $450-$500 in bills for delivery. I'm waiting to hear back from HR, but I think I'm going to plan for my maternity bills to be covered by the FSA and then up the amount during the life event enrollment period. Same goes for our Childcare FSA, I'm going to prorate what I know we will use (13 weeks worth of daycare leading up to due date) and then I can change it to add the rest of the year for DD1&2 if needed. By March I should have a better idea if I'm staying with my current company or changing companies and how much child care should cost for them.
  • I'm waiting to hear from our HR what the new benefit structure will look like. I imagine our premiums will increase, as dental and vision did last year for subscriber & dependents, but not health. However, our health administrators have been horrible, so hopefully our company will have negotiated little rate changes due to such awful experiences. I have a lot in FSA because I had to prepay OBGYN services last time, but I will lose a LOT if I don't find something to do with it. I maxed it out this year thinking we would have a baby this year.
  • @kapowfal my FSA won't let me pay for anything in advance. I need to talk to my midwife's office, but I can only pay for services that have been rendered with the FSA, so I might have to pay out of pocket and then claim it after the fact.
  • @chocolatelemons have you checked the employee handbook or union contract to see if there is flexibility outlined? I was surprised to learn under my old union contract that there was an agreement to allow for flexible hours contingent on supervisor's approval. Besides that, I think you'd need to have some kind of plan for how your work will be managed with different hours.

@lelkcot yep I think amending the contract to include damages or late fees makes sense. Maybe explain that damages aren't punitive but to compensate you for the administrative burden of pursuing overdue payment.
  • mamakate1616mamakate1616 member
    edited November 2018
    We also maxed our FSA out this year (TW) thinking I would be having a baby in September, and have a lot of “extra” money in there. FWIW I just used some to buy the spectra s1 (which by the way is cheaper thru Amazon than the insurance suppliers...) that wasn’t covered by my insurance and the owlet smartsock. There are all kinds of crazy things you can use those dollars for. I’m also planning to get an otoscope and one of those no touch thermometers, and we will both probably get new glasses/sunglasses. 
  • @mamakate1616 I didn't even think of using it for baby stuff! Genius!
  • It's weird how FSA can change from one provider to the next. Prepaid OBGYN is on our allowed list with a *. Basically, we have to verify with our plan admin; so I won't hold my breath. I think I might be vain, and am considering using it for Invisalign as I lost my retainer a few years after having braces. My teeth are starting to get wonky again. I do need some prenatal vitamins that the FSA store doesn't have in their selection, so I might purchase through Amazon's FSA store.
  • @chocolatelemons I would start by talking to my building principal to see if it is even possible for it to be a part-time position. He/she may not know and direct you elsewhere.
  • @lelkot anything over 30 days is unreasonable without explanation. Unfortunately if they aren’t paying them, they usually aren’t motivated by late fees, and I have ended contracts for habitual late payers. 

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• @purpleteacher82 That’s my plan for now. It’s definitely possible since they’ve offered part time to others in my role. I guess I just feel kind of weird because they hired me full time and I’ve only been there since August. 
  • *bump* how’s it going ladies, or as my daughter would say, working girls? 

I start my new job on Monday (yay promotion, finally!) and today one of my future employees (who also applied for this job) sent out a blast email to the branch “welcoming me”. She called me “Miss” Katherine, phrased it in a way that put us on equal footing AND made reference to “bun in the oven #2”. I’m SO irritated! Not particularly looking forward to the expectation setting conversation I’ll need to have with her.  
  • @mamakate1616 ugh, I’m sorry she started your first day off with such a condescending email.

I’ve been back in the main office for awhile and off working onboard ships for about a month or so now. However, they haven’t replaced it with any new work yet because I’m stuck between an old database no one can give me access to anymore and a new one that hasn’t been rolled out yet. It’s frustrating and has made the last few weeks go very slowly. And then I was required to take a vacation day on Wednesday because the office closed for the Day of Mourning for Pres. Bush. It’s all just chipping away at what little vacation and sick leave I do have and it’s really frustrating.

In better news, I spoke to a former coworker, now hopeful future boss at my old company in CA and basically got verbal confirmation that they will make room for me when I move back. I’m so incredibly ready for some fulfilling work and I can’t wait to go back to work for them even though their benefits aren’t as good as the company I work for now. Now just to get through the next couple months here...
  • Hey! So I feel pretty lucky that I work for myself and it’s going ok. Things have slowed down because I’m not taking on new clients. I was hoping to push a full caseload until the end of the year but things dropped off after. Thanksgiving. I‘m excited that next week is my last 4 day work week and then I’ll go down to 3 days until I deliver. Frustrating part is I will lose money and won’t make any income while on leave. But I’m trying to stay positive. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • @mamakate1616 yay for the new role! And boo for starting it off with an unpleasant employee. Sorry it starts your week off like that.
  • I have an interview for a 1.5 year post in Berlin, and they'd want me to field in January. I am excited and terrified at the same time. I have a ton of other stuff on my plate right now so I don't even really have the free time to do the research I need to do to see if it would be worth the stress of moving!

• @gowenc FWIW, I have a friend that lived in Stugarrt (sp?) and loved it!
  • mihaelams1mihaelams1 member
    edited December 2018
    @gowenc Berlin is a great city for raising kids, I have a few friends living there. I also spent a summer there for an internship before my master's and it's still my favorite city from all the places I've ever visited! That said, starting a new job in January sounds too stressful, at least to me.

And just to join the topic as well: I worked up until the night I went into labor last time, so I really hope to do the same this time around. There is an option to take short term disability before the due date, but I would first need to exhaust my sick time. Considering the baby will go to daycare, he's bound to get sick, so I'd rather save my sick days for that than use them unnecessarily. That's my current situation. 
  • Hi everyone! I loved reading the updates! @mihaelams1 I'm also hoping to work until I go into labor. @mamakate1616 congrats on the promotion! That's AWESOME!

A month or so ago I was moved to a new team but ugh. The new team I'm on totally blows because they're not hiring for a lead anytime soon and we're now having all of these meetings where the goal seems to be consensus of all of us analysts on how we store and use data while simultaneously we have a PMO that is working on a data governance strategy - more meetings. I don't want to go to anymore meetings!!!!  Applying for other jobs. Feel like upper management is ruining my life.

But being pregnant is fun!!  Minus the heartburn.
  • Congrats @mamakate1616!

Like others, I’m hoping to work up until I deliver like I did last time. I’m teaching in a new district this year so I have 15 sick days total which means I’ll only be getting paid for 3 weeks of my maternity leave. It’s a bit stressful but I’ve been saving a good chunk of my paycheck specifically for maternity leave since September so that will help. I’m hoping to go part time in September (new school year) but I haven’t had that conversation with my principal yet.
  • Thanks ladies!! 
    @meggyme what a bummer they made you take your own leave for Wednesday! I think our contractors got to telework, even if it was not legit “work”. 
    @govanalyst86 ug, meetings. I remember when we were rolling out a new financial system and it was nothing but meetings. Felt like there was no time to actually do the work! 
    @gowenc that sounds very exciting but also super stressful! 

My maternity leave is also really limited so I plan to work up until the Friday before I schedule my c section, likely a Tuesday. I’ve calculated out my known doctor appointments and holiday leave plans and will possibly be able to squeak by without taking LWOP, assuming a part time telework arrangement. Fortunately my new boss is open to that idea so I’m hoping it works out and I won’t be broke and/or forced to go back before June! :joy:

• Hello ladies, this thread is really good.

I am 28 weeks currently and had small dizziness episode few days back at work and had to grab my lady coworker's hand. I passed glucose test and my hemoglobin is slightly low at 10 point something based on recent blood test.. But I dont feel unwell personally...its just when something like this happens it scares  you.

I work in an IT full time company and my manager is bit moody attitude. I do have an option to work from home , currently i work 3 days a week (from ofc) and 2 from home. I really don't want to ask my egoistic manager until mid January or so if I can stretch it (due date mid Feb).. 

I have 12 weeks maternity leave, some unpaid/some paid. My commute is not that bad, from NJ to NYC using public transport but just 1 stop in train both to and fro. Bit of walk on this brutal winter but that's all.

Would love to know your suggestions if I should continue working at ofc or bite the bullet and ask for work from home option.