September 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread!

Ask your questions here! Whether they are for STM/STM+'s to answer, they are TMI, or if you think they are dumb - whatever! 
**tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

Re: The Great Question Thread!

• @BumpAdmin can we get a sticky please? :) 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

• Bump!
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

• Loading the player...
  • chichiphinchichiphin member
    edited January 2019
    For those of you who are being monitored by an RE during this pregnancy - how often are you being seen for ultrasounds/blood work? I'm going weekly and it feels excessive. The time I spend in that office and the money I am paying insurance is draining. Last week we finally saw the heartbeat but I think it may be wasteful & potentially risky to keep going weekly for the next 3 weeks... thoughts??

ETA: I got pregnant via meds, not IUI or IVF if that matters
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

• @chichiphin My RE has me come in weekly for U/S and I feel like it's excessive too.  Last time it was weekly until I was 8 weeks and then she released me to my regular OB, but I asked to skip week 6 (superstitious from my loss) and they didn't have a problem with it.  I kind of want to do the same this time...
    I think a lot of people like having the weekly reassurance, but it just gives me weekly anxiety  :'(  I bet if you asked them, they wouldn't mind letting you skip some, especially if everything is looking fine!
  • blitzybeeblitzybee member
    edited January 2019
    @chichiphin I feel like RE’s are so tricky. The extra services they give are wonderful, but I also feel like sometimes they take advantage to collect money. My RE discharged me to my general OB as soon as they saw my betas and progesterone were good at 4 weeks!! I’m not happy about that, but in a way I am, because my OB will get insurance coverage, instead of us paying out of pocket at the fertility clinic. Anyways, I don’t know what the schedule will be for the first trimester, but we are doing betas and progesterone check this week at 5 weeks, and then ultrasound next week at 6 weeks. If the first ultrasound goes well, I think I will ask to do maybe 1 more ultrasound at 8 weeks. Soon enough, a Fetal Doppler can pick up the heart beat, and I’ll be satisfied with that rather than an ultrasound. I’m curious to see what others’ responses are to your question in regards to the RE first trimester schedule!
  • lurking @chichiphin my RE's would only do 1 maybe 2 US before releasing... So you could ask to  have them more spaced out...
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Mammas with repeat csections: When did your ob schedule your delivery? Were you ever told that there was a "limit" to how many csections you could have? 
  • Following for replies to @mommyshark13 's question. I'm wondering the same things.
  • @blitzybee @RedBreast35 @wabash15 I ended up calling them and questioning the necessity. I'm keeping my appt this Friday as I will be 7.5 weeks and then I will request to be discharged to my OB. I have insurance coverage for all of this, so I think they're trying to be money grabby out it honestly. 

**tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

• Alright, here's a weird one. Has anyone ever gotten dark tests at night than with FMU? This has happened in all 3 of my pregnancies now (first two were losses, so I'm a little worried). I can take a veeeery dark test in the PM, but the next morning it will be 3 or 4 shades lighter. Progression is all the matters really but it's still totally bizarre to me. Called my OB and she had never heard of that but told me to stop taking test. Because I am a glutton for punishment, I will not. 
  • @nomangos23 I've always had darker tests in the afternoon/evening than with FMU. I honestly have no idea why, but even with my successful pregnancy it was like that. Bodies are weird. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• @nomangos23 - I always tested better at night too. Last night's test was just a hair darker than this morning.
    This study, although not terribly scientific, shows that the majority do test better at night.
    https://www.countdowntopregnancy.com/pregnancy-test/pregnancy-tests-urine-sample.php
  • @marebear15 Oh, wow. What an awesome chart. And how bizarre! Glad I'm not the only one! Phew!
  • Hi ladies! Just got home from my first appointment at 6 weeks. I have an ultrasound scheduled for Thursday to confirm my due date. At this appointment the ob brought up pregenetic testing. There’s 2 options, ultrasound only (SequentialScreen through LabCorp) and then the bloodwork one (Panorama) where you can also determine the gender. Both tests can be done at 10weeks. Anyone have any insight?? Not sure which is cheaper (the bloodwork one I know is about $150 with my insurance but not sure about the other). Did anyone do either? Any advice is great!
    Thanks ladies!
  • @mommyshark13 I know we discussed this already but I’m going on my 4th section and my dr never mentioned a limit. He always goes in the same incision and removes the scar tissue with each pregnancy.

My first section was “emergency” (not really, I just never dilated) at 41 weeks. My second was at 39w4d because we waited until after Christmas so I could be home with my first and my third was supposed to be 39w2d but that’s my nephew’s birthday so my dr put in a special request to have it done on a Saturday which was exactly 39 weeks. I’m assuming this one will be exactly 39 weeks as well. 
  • @cee_moll Hi! So I did the panorama with my second and a year after the test I was slapped with an almost $9000 bill. When I called and spoke to them we worked out a reduced price of $300 and a payment plan and after I had paid them $150 of the $300 I got a statement that the bill was settled. I didn’t do it with my third because I was super nervous they would change their policy. But the general consensus from other moms is they take anywhere from $50 - whatever you freak out and pay of the balance so if you go that route definitely negotiate!!
  • It's been a few years since I've been around here and a lot has changed. Is the app worth it? My mobile version is way too confusing compared to desktop and there has to be a better way. 
  • keikilovekeikilove member
    edited January 2019
    @houseofgold The app is waaaay glitchy but if you can deal with it & aren't around a computer much, it's worth it. Another member posted that she never has issues because she avoids the app by simply opening up a browser tab on her phone (Chrome, whatever your phone has) and then goes to the site directly from there.  No problems at all. Not sure if that's what you are doing when you say "mobile version"; if so, I'm sorry.  Good luck!
  • @houseofgold like @keikilove said - open the bump in your browser and just avoid mobile. I've posted GIFs, Pics, tagged people etc. It also works on a browser in a tablet just fine. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

• @keikilove @chichiphin hmm I'll have to try to figure out how to get it to just the web version. It automatically brings up web and it's so weird to navigate and gives you no notifications! I feel like a little old lady trying to figure this out 😂 thank you both for your help.
  • Hi Ladies! This was helpful to know to use a computer because I’ve been using the app for this blog and it’s auper hard to keep up with. What I find hard to if you post, you have no way of knowing if someone responds to you. If you use the computer does it notify you or do you have to just search through each convo? 

@chichiphin I’ve been going to my RE and had an IUI. I’m due Sept 5. I have had two ultrasounds so far. I will be getting my final on Jan 24 and they will be discharging me to OBGYN. 
  • @houseofgold & @nmn513 I *think* you should get notifications if you go into TB from a browser on your phone.  I can't remember, but will check next time and update this as to where to find them if they exist.
  • @nmn513 Yeah in the browser version you get notifications--little red flags in the upper righthand corner--and you can modify why the notifications appear.
  • @keikilove and @kagesstarshroom thank you so much. I clearly plan to switch to using the browser in the computer. That will be so much more helpful to have notifications. 
  • klpv415klpv415 member
    edited January 2019
    Due to spotting/cramping, I'm going to the doctor today for bloodwork and possibly an U/S. I'm only 4w3d. What can I expect to see on the U/S? A sac? A blob? Nothing? Will they be able to tell if the embryo is in the right place as opposed to being an ectopic pregnancy?
  • A random question, but how do I keep TheBump videos from popping up on my laptop screen? They jump out of the middle of the page when I’m reading, and when I scroll past them they move to the upper right corner of the screen & continue playing. I’m so tired of having to stop what I’m doing to X them out. Pop ups are already blocked in my settings, not sure what other options there are? Thanks in advance for any help & for not laughing at me.😆
  • @keikilove the ads have sadly only become worse and worse over the years. I find the easiest way is to just try to not scroll over them at all but it's like playing a game of Frogger!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I’ll bite - I would like other perspectives :)

Anyone ever gone on a cruise in the height of m/s? I’m only 4 weeks, already getting hit hard and supposed to go on one in 2 weeks.  (Doesn’t help that my friend/roommate is a smoker and I’m sure just her clothes in the room wil send me puking). Did it make it worse? Stay the same? I’ve never cruised before so have no idea what to expect. 
  • What are everyone's latest thoughts on Zika? My husband and I have the ability to go to Jamaica in May all expenses paid (on his company). Its a Secrets resort, so I'm certain they'd take necessary precautions, but is Zika still the threat it was in 2016? (That was during my first pregnancy where I had to cancel my trip to the Caribbean!) Curious what anyone has heard.
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • @MsBeachNJ my OB told me not to travel to any place that the CDC has listed as a risk area. I personally wouldn't risk it since the map shows all of Jamaica as purple.
  • @MsBeachNJ - Jamaica is still a high risk area of Zika virus. However, places that used to have Zika but have now been cleared of the virus are American Samoa, The Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Guadeloupe, Isla de Pascua Chile, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Micronesia, New Caledonia, Palau, Saint Barthélemy, and Vanuatu. So you have a lot of choices still!
  • @justhereforthemusic I haven't been on a cruise while pregnant, but I have been on several cruises. I get a little seasick on smaller boats and ships, but if you're on a large cruise liner, odds are that you won't feel anything. I'm not sure if MS would make it worse or not. I imagine that MS on a large cruise would feel the same as MS on land unless you're already very sensitive.  Maybe avoid standing near the railing or looking out to sea while on deck (watching the water "move" by you might trigger nausea).
  • marebear15  I wish we could choose the destination! He won the trip through work :( Second year in a row we have to say no (last year was to Mexico and we knew we wanted to get pregnant soon). 

@themadcamel I'm certain my OB would say the same. Anything I was looking for basically had #s from 2017 in terms of cases, nothing updated for 2018, so I was hopeful that the risk was severely decreased over the last year. Wishful thinking I suppose! 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • This is a silly question. What do I wear to my first sonogram appt? Something with a stretchy waist that I can roll down, or do they make you put on the gown anyway?
  • @cammie0526 for your first one it’ll probably be transvaginal (aka dildo cam). You’ll have to be pantsless. So wear whatever :)
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• keikilovekeikilove member
    edited January 2019
    @cammie0526 Good question! For the dildo cam I wear a light knee-length dress that I can easily pull up to my belly button so I don’t feel so...exposed. Or I wear a stretchy skirt that I can take off & still have my shirt on. Once we graduate to the tummy lube/external exam you can wear a stretchy-waist skirt or pants that can push down. 

My OB’s Office is SUPER nice so I’m surprised they give patients the flimsy paper sheet to cover our lower half. Cue the “Oh sh*t, did I just rip this thing trying to wrap it around to make it cover the back of my a**?!” :s  
  • blondie1314blondie1314 member
    edited January 2019
    @MsBeachNJ Zika hasn’t even crossed my mind as this wasn’t a planned pregnancy. We were just in the Dominican in October and now that I’m aware it wasn’t a good idea and thinking about it, I honestly can’t even remember a time where I was actually bit by a mosquito on vacation which up until recently we’d vacation to the Caribbean or Mexico twice a year. I’m so confused by this Zika thing.
  • Same thing happened to me. They can tell if your lining is compromised this would be a sign that something isn’t right. He saw a tiny black dot on the ultrasound when I had mine at 4.5 weeks he said it was too soon to tell if that was the sac or not. My spotting stopped after a few days and it’s quite normal I was told. Best of luck! 
  • I had a vaginal ultrasound earlier this week at exactly 6 weeks and they saw the gestational sac, yolk sac, and fetal pole. But they did not see/hear a heartbeat. I go back when I’m almost 8 weeks to check for heartbeat again. I’m terrified I’m having another miscarriage. Has something like this happened to anyone else where they went for an early ultrasound tdidnt hear the heartbeat but a few weeks later did? I should say I’m working with a fertility dr that’s why I’ve had the early scans.