March 2019 Moms

Question? Need help? ***POST HERE***

Re: Question? Need help? ***POST HERE***

• @ashley14598 that’s scary, glad you guys checked out well. Definitely agree that if you’re concerned you’re leaking amniotic fluid, call your doc back and have them check! No reason to worry over something they can check for you!
  • @purpleteacher82 I think we’ve talk about nursing bras & tanks a bit on the maternity clothes thread. Could probably be it’s own thread though!
  • Loading the player...
  • @lelkcot Thanks! I will have to go back check it out. 
  • @ashley14598 so glad you and lo are doing okay after that scare.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @BuckeyeNut05 @lelkcot @Kenneylynn3 thank you! I have a routine check up on Thursday so I may call in the morning to see if they can squeeze me in tomorrow since I have the day off anyways. Baby is still very active and moving so I’m trying to keep my cool knowing that he’s doing well! 
  • @ashley14598 Yikes! Scary! Glad you and LO checked out ok. Just wanted to reassure you that I have not had any falls but still have enough discharge that I’ve been wearing pantyliners for the last 8-10 weeks so it’s probably normal. However I agree with PP that your dr/midwife can do a simple swab to tell you if you’re leaking amniotic fluid so to put your mind at ease, you should ask. 
    Toward the end of my pregnancy with DD (just to warn you / anyone in advance) I did have an uptick in discharge to the point where I wasn’t sure if I was leaking fluid. I ended up going into L&D admitting on two separate occasions (around 38.5 and 39.5 weeks) to have them swab me and check. It’s super quick and simple and it put my mind at ease each time knowing that my bag of waters wasn’t leaking/broken. And then at 40.5 weeks when my waters did break during labour - there was no question :lol: I was drenched! :lol:
  • Can someone talk to me about SPD? I’ve been having pain in my inner thighs/not quite into my groin area. I’m fine sitting but as soon as I walk or god forbid try to lift a leg higher than a shuffle it’s getting really painful. It’s been gradually getting worse in the last month and I’m not sure if it’s SPD or what to do about it. It used to get better as my muscles loosened up but not so much anymore.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @ashley14598 I'm really glad you're both ok, falls on ice are scary even when not pregnant, but add up the baby and it's terrifying.
    I've been questioning the discharge since around 2nd trimester - in my case a regular panty liner is sometimes not enough and I have to change it mid-day. So I did some research. They say if your water breaks (or trickles), you only feel it when you get up from a sitting position, while the discharge is continuous and you can feel it regardless. Also, my water broke with DS1 at 40w and I felt a distinct "pop" inside. You'll know when it happens. Hope it helps!
  • @meggyme That is exactly what happens to me when I get SPD. I guess the pain can be referred to the inner thigh rather than the actual pelvis. I highly recommend to type “SPD exercises” into YouTube. There are some good videos of simple exercises you can do to help. I also found kegels to be pretty effective. One more tip: when you get out of bed or out of the car, move both legs together, not one at a time. 
  • @maggiemadeit thanks, I’m glad I can at least look for a remedy by name now. In addition to the specific exercises do you find that regular activity/walking makes it better or worse?
  • @meggyme So my last pregnancy I had it pretty bad for a while, and I rested and did the PT type exercises until it felt better before I really did much working out. For sure running made it worse, and I think squats can too. But walking, swimming, and yoga were all okay for me. It might be one of those things where you have to experiment with how much activity your body will tolerate.
  • @mihaelams1 did you mean to say that (about discharge and water breaking) in reverse? Water breaking (or trickling) in my experience was continuous and I felt it regardless of sitting or standing. Discharge was only felt when standing up from a sitting position.
  • @Lbloom it's odd, but I read it otherwise (disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional, so I might as well be wrong). I also doubt I'm leaking amniotic fluid, especially for so long, but (tmi?) my discharge is not pooling up but rather comes as it pleases, even when I'm sitting down. Go figure... :smile:
  • Thanks for all the information about leaking waters/discharge! You have all put my mind at ease :) I went to bed last night and woke up feeling quite sore!! I’m very thankful I took the advice of the nurse to stay home today. I have my regular appointment with my midwife on Thursday so hopefully things just even back out this week! 
  • @meggyme I was struggling with the same sensations and pain around 25 weeks and worried that I was in for months of pain. Fortunately I’ve learned what aggravates my pain and what helps to ease it. For me, when the pain is bad, any activity aggravates it, including walking. Rest helps, as did my chiropractor (a lot! I was seeing her weekly for awhile). Now that the pain is more under control I’ve found that walking up or down hill aggravates it, as does walking up and down the stairs. I take the elevator every chance I get, even at DD’s daycare which is only two stories as that one flight of stairs in the morning can set me up for a day of pain. I’ve yet to find a comfortable position to sit at home (ie couch vs floor vs exercise ball) though so I still end up with some pain and stiffness after sitting for too long. Hope that helps!
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited January 2019
    @maggiemadeit it’s amazing how quickly those exercises help! I thought I’d need to do them for at least a few days before I noticed a difference, but I did the leg squeezes with a yoga block and when I got up it was noticeably better. I also tried some of the pelvis tilts. I can still feel it, but it’s considerably less painful!

@laur84ns I was just thinking maybe I should see about getting a yoga ball to sit on. Idk if I can live down using it at work though.
  • @meggyme my spd pain tends to be focused in the front of my pelvis, with a shooting pain into my left hip joint and thigh when it’s bad. As the other ladies have said, the exercises have made a huge difference, plus a support belt when it’s flaring. For me, sitting too long, wearing heels, and carrying heavy things seem to trigger it. Hope the exercises keep helping!
  • So i am in a situation....last week after my doctor appointment, we decided to schedule a RCS for baby #2 on the date at 7am....so i called my mom and was talking to her about everything after we left and she said "ok great, i'll have you at the hospital by 6am..." and carries on with the conversation. I kind of brushed the comment off because OBVIOUSLY SO is taking me to the hospital, and went on with the convo. later i was talking to him about everything and laughed about it and told him that she's so excited she's ready to drive me herself.....WELL, he didn't think it was funny. he said it bothered him that she didn't consider him taking me. like he's not responsible enough. I told him to me i didn't really trip off of it, because it was just a flippant statement because obviously as the dad he will be taking me. With my first she took me bc the dad wasn't in the state or really in the picture (he was in basic training and we weren't together anymore). 
    So he asked me recently if i had talked to her about it and i said no, bc i wasn't even thinking about it anymore...but i ended up asking her last night who would be taking DS to school and everything since this will be a school day and she said we will figure it out, but SHE will be at the hospital...so i said "well just FYI, SO wants to take me to the hospital...." so when i said that, she immediately gets pissed and goes "well fine, do i even need to be at the hospital then? I can stay at home!" and gets all huffy....i didn't even know how to respond...but now i feel like i am stuck between the two of them. Honestly he's obviously going to be the one going, but now i'm concerned that she's going to be mad. I talked to my sister and she said our mom is spoiled because she has been in the room while her 3 current grandchildren were born (my sisters husband at the time was in Germany deployed with each of hers)...so she feels entitled or expectant for this. I'm just not sure how to handle the conflict. I depend on my mom for a lot of help currently, even being in a relationship, so i just don't want to make her TOO angry...and i want both of them (her and my SO) to be happy. I know some people discount zodiacs, but they BOTH are cancers, and they both can be moody, emotional, dramatic and hold intense grudges...it's actually giving me a bit of anxiety. 
  • @meggyme @3rdtime_charmed i'm going to try and smooth it over with her but my mom is one of THOSE types of moms...we had 10 inches of snow this weekend and my sister was supposed to fly to LA to go to a cousin's party with my mom and other fam members. Her flight got cancelled due to the weather and conditions and my sister, (who is 50 BTW) called to talk to me about it and said she was hoping our mom wouldnt be mad at her because she tried to get to the airport and got stuck in ice a few times so she went back home and had to cancel going. She was like :" you know mom, she will say i should have left earlier even though i had work stuff"...so i had to convince her that Mom wouldn't be mad. its funny but not funny...she can be a bit unreasonable. I was talking to my sis about this and she said "you better hope they let 2 people be in the c-section room, otherwise it sucks to be you".....this is what i'm dealing with  :s I honestly want this to be a bonding experience with me and SO as it should be. i didn't even think this was going to be a problem! 
  • Thank you for all the advice everyone! it is really appreciated!
  • I know there was some conversation about the TDAP shot and family members' reactions to getting it on another thread, but I wasn't sure if I should bump that old thread back up or not. So, I hope it's okay to post here.

Here's my question. Is there any part of the country where TDAP shots are NOT done/common? I asked my parents (who live in Florida) to get the shot before they travel here to meet baby. My mom told my that her gynecologist "never heard of the TDAP shot so they must not do it in Florida." That's not true, right? It's pretty common?

My mom said she also ID'd it as "the whooping cough vaccine," so I know it's not like she just got the initials wrong or something. (My dad's primary doc knew what it was, but just didn't have it on hand - so he's getting it at CVS.) What the heck?
  • https://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/vaccine-preventable-disease/_documents/2018-october-vpd-surveillance-report.pdf

This is a link to the most up to date stats in Florida....
    Some of the more recent Measles outbreaks have been at Disneyland in Florida, I would assume that Orlando would be a similar hotbed of activity for any disease that affects children.

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• @heytherefriend I’d just assume the people our parents’ age have already been immunized and might not have it on hand for that reason, but it shouldn’t be regional advice. It’s not like the flu where some areas have it worse than others.
  • @heytherefriend I think it’s really strange that her gynecologist never heard of it, but maybe those types of immunizations are generally done by PCPs? Here’s another link with whooping cough cases in FL. 

https://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/vaccine-preventable-disease/pertussis/_documents/surveillance-summaries/2018-december-pertussis-summary.pdf

Regardless of how common it is, I think it’s most important to get the immunization because of how serious pertussis can be to an infant. 
  • @heytherefriend we definitely have it in Florida, because my OB gave me mine. There must have been a misunderstanding of some sort!  Hopefully she can get it at the same place as your dad. 
  • @heytherefriend I actually just asked my OB about this a couple days ago because I was one of the people on the other thread (or a few pages back on this thread, can’t remember) who was asking for advice on vaccines. We mentioned to my in laws a couple weeks ago that since they planned to be around baby when she’s born, they’d both need to get a flu shot. They are nervous about needles so they weren’t happy about it but thankfully as of today both have gotten theirs. So I asked my OB about the TDAP at my last appointment (33 weeks pregnant) because I hadn’t been offered it yet. She said she could give it to me, and she did. When I asked whether my husband or the grandparents also needed it, her advice was to have my husband get it, since he’s in his 30s so he’s likely had the original TDAP but no boosters. She said there was no need to have grandparents get it since she was confident that in their lifetime they would have had both the TDAP and a booster. The TDAP is actually a one-time shot, with a booster recommended every 10 years. Anyway, I was a bit surprised by her nonchalance about grandparents getting it but she is the head of obstetrics at our women’s and children’s hospital and has been doing this for 40+ years so I’m going to go with it.
    In response to your question, a gynecologist probably just doesn’t know what it is because she doesn’t deal with those types of vaccines, if I had to guess!
  • Thanks everyone, for the TDAP responses. I'm sure they'll get it figured out. It was just so weird! I expected maybe some pushback, but not confusion, lol!
  • STM's...for those of you who were induced, what tool(s) did they use to induce you, and what kind of pain management did you use in labor?

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @Kenneylynn3 I was induced with a Foley bulb, so without any medication. It worked like gangbusters and I was in labor pretty quickly. I was able to labor for about 24 hours without any pain medication or an IV, which was awesome. Unfortunately shit hit the fan after that, and I got stuck in transition with a 10.5 pound baby in a poor presentation (OP), and I ended up with an epidural and eventually a c section about 12 hours later. But I truly don’t think this outcome had anything to do with the induction. She wasn’t going to fit out of my body like that no matter what.

Personally, I found the pain of labor pretty manageable up until transition, and I hated the epidural. It was not my choice to get one, but my midwife basically told me we had to do it because I had been stuck in transition for >4 hours without progress. I couldn’t feel anything, and I think it made my pushing less effective. But that was just my experience. 

Sorry for the novel! 
  • @maggiemadeit don't be sorry. I'd rather have a novel with all details. I now know I will be getting induced at 37 or 39 weeks, so trying to make myself informed and prepared. 

• @Kenneylynn3 I was induced at 39+6 due to high BP and after almost 4 weeks of bedrest. I was terrified of being induced but now I definitely think it was best for both me and my baby. I too was induced using the foley bulb (I think I was around 2 cm dialated and like 70-80% effaced when the induction started). It was inserted around 7am and by noon or before it was out and I was 5.5 cm. I was able to get up with it in and labored a lot in the rocking chair (it felt the best for me) the only reason I “shouldn’t” have been in the chair was because my BP was so high. I knew I wanted the epidural before my water was broken so I had that placed and then my midwife broke my water. Around 5 PM I was almost fully dialated but DS wasn’t moving down through the birth canal like they wanted him too and they couldn’t figure out why. Eventually my midwife had my bladder emptied and then he came right down. I was ready to push by 6 and at 7:01 pm he was born. I could definitely feel my contractions enough to push with each one but the epidural definitely took the edge off. Overall my labor/delivery were better than I could have ever imagined despite being so nervous about an induction. 
  • 31+3. Woke up today with a light spotting going on. Not sure if I should worry yet.
  • Yes @Bride2b1213 call your doctor. It could be nothing, but with my last I spotted once I had gone into labor so it's best to just check. 
  • @Bride2b1213 agreed. It could be cervical dilation and at your gestation steroids may be appropriate.

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• I called and spoke with the office since they are closed to regular hours on the weekend. Due to recent activities and such and the fact it seems to have stopped after this morning they are not concerned. I have a regular appt on Thursday and will be bringing it up again just to make sure. I currently have a very rough cough and sinus problems I think I'm getting sick. I've coughed enough that my stomach and ribs and chest all hurt if I try to cough at all with a scratchy throat to tie it all together