March 2019 Moms

Question? Need help? ***POST HERE***

Re: Question? Need help? ***POST HERE***

• @lelkot my mom sat me down and drew pictures of pretty technical detail when she was expecting my brother. I don’t think many would go this route, but I grew up to be a doctor!! 
    All joking aside, I think the age appropriateness varies a lot based on exposure. In the farm community where I live, most kids have seen something born, so there isn’t much point to sheltering them from that with their parents/new sibling.

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• @lelkcot Oh wow! That's an interesting one. My daughter is only 2.5 so she's been satisfied with the explanation that "baby will get bigger and bigger and bigger and then come out!" I hope she doesn't ask more questions than that. Hopefully someone else can help you out with what worked for them!
  • Loading the player...
  • @lelkcot Mine is almost 3 and I have done the exact same as you have. I tell her that I am growing the baby in my belly and when he’s done growing we will go to the doctor and get him out. She has asked me a couple times if he will go back in, so obviously I have not done a good job explaining it lol
  • @maggiemadeit that's hilarious! 
    Mine is 3 and we also didn't go into details on the way the baby gets out of the belly. If he doesn't ask then we'll keep it at that. He also seems a little confused, because he asked if the baby is coming along for our trip next weekend. He doesn't have a choice :lol:
  • @3rdtime_charmed haha I have an RN as a mom so when I asked where do babies come from I got a very detailed answer! She got out the books and showed me pictures of the body parts that make a baby, where the baby grows in the female, and where it comes out.... it was a bit much haha! Needlesstosay I’m not in the medical field now haha!!! 
  • 😁 thanks ladies! It’s definitely complicated!
    @3rdtime_charmed my mom was pretty open about the specifics when she had my little sister. I’m just a little worried DS will trade out randomly informing people “mommy’s growing a baby sister in her tummy” with “mommy’s going to push baby sister out of her ...” 😳 We don't live in a farming area, so he’s not really been exposed to the realities of reproduction. 
    @maggiemadeit yeah, DS doesn’t seem entirely satisfied with the doctors are going to help sister get here... so we’ll see if I have to offer more of an explanation.
  • @Kenneylynn3 you’re right! We bought our first house in Bailey in June (because the Denver market is cray) and love it SO much. That’s awesome that you got to grow up here! We can’t wait to raise our mountain baby. :)

• Question for the c-section moms: were you given morphine after your c-section?

Backstory: I was on morphine for 24h after my c-section. Morphine and I don’t mix and it was a nightmare. I asked my new midwife, if my VBAC is unsuccessful and I need another c-section, can I put it in my birth plan that they can give me something else instead of morphine. She looked at me like I had 3 heads and said that morphine after c-section is not standard procedure, and asked why I had it the first time. I have no earthly idea why. I was defitneily not in charge of things at that point, and I don't remember the whole first day because of the morphine. Just curious if this is a common practice? 
  • @maggiemadeit I am allergic to morphine so there's no way they could've given it to me after my c-section (well, I guess they COULD have, but you know what I mean).  If I remember correctly, they gave me demerol (as needed) and percocet, as well as motrin, all spread out in doses so I remained completely lucid (the demerol was given at night to help me sleep; they took both DDs to the nursery).  I've never heard of any other c-section moms having morphine, but maybe?!
  • I had morphine after my c section. I had a self administered pump that would light up green when I was allowed to have more. I recall it being gloriously effective... I’m sorry you had a bad reaction with it! 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • I also was given morphine. I know this for a fact because I got my whooooole set of medical records from my delivery in the mail yesterday. Pretty fascinating to read it back and fill in the details of how it all played out. 
  • Thanks ladies. This is really helpful. 

@lindseyb918 This is what I need to do too. I have to get my full record so my new midwife can see the train wreck that was my first delivery and post-op. 
  • @lelkcot Just saw this but it's something I've been thinking about myself. DD1 is 4.5 and I avoided this subject until recently. I brought it up because she seemed to be getting anxious and has no concept of when baby will come, so any separation between us she thinks she will miss the baby. I basically asked her how she thought a baby is born and went with that explanation. I was surprised because she told me exactly where baby comes out and everything. I guess I had been talking more about it than I thought.

Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • LbloomLbloom member
    edited December 2018
    @lelkcot, with my 6 yo DD, I took a cue from a Berenstain Bears book and when she asked how baby gets here, I told her mommies have a special place in their bodies called a birth canal and when baby is ready, mommy will go to the doctor and they will help baby come out. 3yo DD2 isn't interested in any details. She's happy just knowing mommy is going to have a baby. They incorporate pregnancy in their play, it's pretty cute... and unavoidable. :)
    @3rdtime_charmed DD1'S best friend lives on a cattle farm. Her mom told me when a cow is going to deliver, she yells to her mom to "get the chains!". 6 yos. Somehow that story struck me as charmingly funny!
  • @Lbloom My (almost) 3 year old and her bestie at daycare have been sticking their tummies out and imitating me, telling everyone they have babies in their bellies! I don’t appreciate being mocked, but it is too cute for words! 
  • Lbloom said:
    @lelkcot, with my 6 yo DD, I took a cue from a Berenstain Bears book and when she asked how baby gets here, I told her mommies have a special place in their bodies called a birth canal and when baby is ready, mommy will go to the doctor and they will help baby come out. 3yo DD2 isn't interested in any details. She's happy just knowing mommy is going to have a baby. They incorporate pregnancy in their play, it's pretty cute... and unavoidable. :)
    @3rdtime_charmed DD1'S best friend lives on a cattle farm. Her mom told me when a cow is going to deliver, she yells to her mom to "get the chains!". 6 yos. Somehow that story struck me as charmingly funny!
    Ha, this resonates so much! I have relatives with a dairy farm, and I definitely saw them require chains to haul a calf out that the cow was having a rough time delivering!
  • @maggiemadeit LoL. Last night DD told me I was fat but she was fatter than me. She then proceeded to stick her baby doll under her shirt and went to DH and said "Dad help me deliver, she's stuck!" I was put off by the fat comment until that occurred. I wish I had recorded it!
  • @novelblessings asking him what he thinks happens is a great idea - I’ll have to do that next time he asks!
    @Lbloom that’s a good addition to the doctors will help baby arrive explanation!
  • maggiemadeitmaggiemadeit member
    edited December 2018
    @novelblessings They day the funniest things 🤣

Sorry she called you fat though. My bloated pregnant feelings would not have taken that well...
  • mamakate1616mamakate1616 member
    edited December 2018
    @novelblessings my little one called me fat last night and it definitely hurt. She repeated it a couple times and said I was “fat like miss tina” (a new teacher at her preschool who is extremely obese).  It was hard to be gentle with the correction about not saying that, how it hurts peoples’ feelings, we don’t use that word etc. I don’t think it was getting thru because she was like “but Memaw is fat” with a shrug (I know her grandma calls herself fat and jokes about it, even though I’ve asked her not to). I guess the bright side is she doesn’t seem to think fat is bad, just a stinging observation.  :|

also - now that she’s in a twin bed she likes me to get in with her to snuggle. Tonight she  plastered herself against the back and I said I didn’t need that much room & asked her how big she thought I was, she said “really big!!!”
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Anyone tried to take extra iron supplement on their own for feeling light headed/dizzy feeling or should I be first checking with my doctor?  When I called my doctor, she said it cannot be because of BP issue as I had got checked just 2-3 days back. All she advised was to take it slow.
  • @kandos I wouldn’t add a supplement but I would check and see if you have iron in your prenatals.  
  • @kandos Has your doctor checked your hemoglobin lately? Just a word of warning- I take a prenatal with high iron content, and have had to start alternating with one with no iron and adding a stool softener on days I take the high iron pill due to constipation issues. My doctor told me I would probably be fine to just stop taking the high iron prenatal and just make sure to add dietary iron where I can, so maybe see what your doctor has to say about it.
  • @kandos I agree with PP. I probably wouldn't add in an iron supplement in my own as they can be very constipating, and constipation can lead to hemorrhoids  and other discomforts! I too was feeling dizzy and light headed off and on for a couple of week (around 23-26 weeks if I recall correctly) and when I asked my dr about it she essentially said it was just one of those things that happens. She said to avoid standing in one place for too long, to keep moving, etc.  She never mentioned iron. Weeks later, and the dizziness is gone (28 weeks now) but I just found out that NOW my hemoglobin is a bit low. Funny, I don't have any symptoms and feel great.  Even though it's a bit low my dr advised not to bother with an iron supplement due to the cascade of other issues iron can cause (mentioned above). She said instead to eat more red meat and more green leafy veg such as kale, broccoli or Brussels sprouts. I'm going to try the dietary changes before willingly adding iron (I may think differently had my dr been super concerned but she wasn't at all)
  • @kandos If you want to make sure you are getting enough, 1c multigrain Cheerios, 1c spinach, and a serving of chicken/meat every day should do the trick. I can’t do prenatals with iron and this has been my solution for making sure I hit the recommended amounts. And at least for me, iron from dietary sources doesn’t give me the same digestive problems as the pills. 
  • My question is about polyps...my doctor found some after I had VERY light spotting/dark brown discharge for a couple weeks after sex. Now I’ve been on pelvic rest for the past few months, but this week I started seeing the spotting/pink discharge. It’s not a lot at all, but I’m assuming it’s coming from the polyps. 

Anyway, my question is, do or have any of you had experience removing or keeping polyps during pregnancy? I have an appointment next week and I’m planning to talk to my doctor about it then, but just wondering if anyone here has any advice or experience to share. 
  • Debated posting here or in the movement thread, but it’s really a question so... I’ve noticed a decrease in movement in the past few days. Still feeling her several times a day, but it’s more muted and less often. I’m planning to call the doctor tomorrow because it’s worrying me, but didn’t know if anyone else had experienced a slow down in movement around week 26?
  • @lelkcot I'm 28+2 weeks and about a week or two ago I definitely felt less movement for 2-3 days. It worried me a little but then I started feeling kicking super low in my abdomen, and now he's consistently kicking me between my belly button and ribs. Almost all of the time haha. Of course call the doctor if you're worried, but I assume in my case that the kid had just shifted into a weird position and I couldn't feel him much for a little while.  
  • @lelkcot I'm at 28 weeks, and overall LO is very active, but he definitely is more active some days than others. Today has been a slower day. If you're ever feeling concerned, I definitely would call your doctor to get his/her expert opinion, but it has been my personal experience that baby does go through occasional periods of less activity.
  • @lelkcot Thanks for asking this! I’ve also noticed a drastic change in LOs movements in the last week and was starting to worry. I’m assuming as others have said that baby has just repositioned somewhere else, because what little movement I feel is faint and seems to be from deeper in my abdominal area rather than near the surface of the skin. I will ask my doc when I see her on Wednesday and let you know if I get any more insight than what is being said here (I’m not too worried as long as I’m able to feel some movement throughout the day).

@jesiannv I’m sorry, I don’t have any experience with polyps but hopefully someone else on the board will have some advice (mentioning just so your question doesn’t get lost in the thread).
  • @bug_hunter @mayoduck and @navete thank you for the reassurance ladies. I’v been being anxious about it, trying to remember she likely just shifted to a different position!
  • @lelkcot At my last appointment, my midwife told me that at this point in the pregnancy, movement should be pretty constant (not that you should be feeling the baby every second, but it’s not as sporadic as when you first start feeling it). She said to do kick counts if you feel like there’s a day where it’s decreased. Drink a cold sugary drink, lay on your left side and see if you get at least 10 kick in hour. If not- call. This reassured me earlier this week when I felt like she wasn’t moving as much. 

• So as a FTM I’ve been trying to learn more about labor/delivery through a variety of means (podcasts, books, etc). I tend to like to learn as much as I can about things I don’t know about because it makes me feel more prepared and less worried. My husband on the other hand isn’t wanting to discuss the upcoming birth or learn about the process. I think this is because he is anxious about the process and just doesn’t want to think about it. I’m wanting him to learn at least a little bit about it because I am planning on only having him in the room with me and I know I will need his support.

Does anyone have any recommendations to get him more involved/be willing to learn more about it? Any resources specific for guys? 

Or is this his something I should just drop because if I learn about it, that will be good enough?
  • @blueberry0326 I'm very similar. I manage anxieties I have about the unknown by researching and learning as much as I can. My husband is very much a "we'll deal with it when we have to" kind of person. Even with this being my second pregnancy, I'm constantly reading books and studies and watching videos. Unless your husband is really invested in doing something like Bradley Method/Partner coached birthing, I don't think it's something you can really force. That said, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to go to any classes you want to attend.

I'd suggest that you have a talk instead about what your expectations are during the delivery. I feel like most guys have this 1950's idea of childbirth where they'll just be standing around until the baby is actually there. But talking about your expectations of him might be helpful in showing him his role in the birth. He will be your advocate in getting nurse/doctor help to make sure you're comfortable so you can focus on dealing with contractions. He is also there as your emotional support, reminding you how strong you are and how proud of you he is, and being a familiar, calming presence in a potentially strange and chaotic space. Hopefully that helps some.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @blueberry0326 The labor and delivery nurses have helped many women labor that don’t have engaged spouses, or even spouses at all. That said, if you feel like you will need a lot of help, you may need to rethink having him be the only one in the room. Have you ever been sick? Does he take care of you during those times? That may give you some insight into how he will
    handle the situation.

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• Has anyone else been told they have low serum sodium levels after a blood test?  I just had my annual physical late last week and that test came back abnormally low, with a request for me to share that information with my OB and follow up with him. Trying not to Google, and failing. I found a couple things linking it to preeclampsia, but nothing's shown up in my urine test to point that direction. 
  • @blueberry0326 I think if you come at it from a perspective that you want him to feel like he knows your birth plan, thoughts, and ideas that it will better help him support you when maybe you won’t be as able to advocate for yourself. Does your hospital offer classes that he would be willing to attend? We attended one and my DH found it helpful to know what to expect although he wasn’t thrilled about the thought of going. They discussed when it is time to go to the hospital, labor positions, breathing, what to take to help support labor, etc. I would absolutely make sure that someone is with you and in your corner help support you when it comes to making decisions about your birth. In the class I was in one girl came with her mom because her DH had to work. I think that if he’s not willing to work with you then I would look for someone that is. 
  • @ashley14598 @3rdtime_charmed @meggyme

thanks everyone! My husband is actually super supportive in all other aspects. When I am sick (which I was in and out of the hospital when we were newly dating) he was always taking care of me, asking the drs questions when I didn’t know what to say, and keeping our families updated with how I was doing. I really think he will be a good support person and will step up to the plate just like he has in the past...I think he’s just nervous about the process and I like to be over-prepared. 

Its a a great idea to have him come with me to the hospital classes. I just looked them up and signed us up! He was ok with going right when I asked him and I think it will give him enough information to be able to know at least the basics. I think after we go to the class, I’ll plan on having a conversation with him about what I want, what I’m hoping he can help me with, etc. 

thanks for your input!
  • @blueberry0326 Sounds like he's going to be a good support but probably nervous. I had a similar situation when we had DD1. DH was not interested or didn't seem to be, in learning anything about labor and delivery. I just made him take a birthing class with me and go on the hospital tour. Which it sounds like you plan to do. He complained about it and even made jokes but he was exposed to it and I think it did help. He was great in the delivery room in the end. As much as he talked about how he would not look or not want to cut the cord, he did all of those things and then said it was cool.