March 2019 Moms

Question? Need help? ***POST HERE***

Re: Question? Need help? ***POST HERE***

• @novelblessings MH still whines about how I made him attend a breastfeeding class he didn't feel required his presence, but when it came time he was the one that encouraged me that I knew what to do and to give it a try. I don't know that he would have felt as secure in MY knowledge of how to do things if he hadn't gone and he might have let me flounder as I waited for someone to come show me what to do because I'd forgotten the classes when actually faced with a real live baby in my arms.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I made DH attend the classes with me too. At the breastfeeding class I’d say there were probably 6 other couples and only one woman was there by herself.
    DH was actually really helpful in getting a good latch in the beginning - he would hold baby and pop her on once her mouth opened right, lol! His reaction time was much faster and the angle was better than trying to roll her on from the boppy / other pillows.
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Loading the player...
  • Last month I measured 1 week ahead and this month I measured 2 weeks ahead ... anything to be concerned about there? I have a growth ultrasound in 2 weeks to check on him but I’m hoping that he’s okay in there! He is moving and his heartbeat was good today. Thanks in advance! I have little knowledge of any of this because my DS1 measured on track every single week. 
  • @ashley14598 Just my two cents, but I think when doctors see that, more often than not, it's nothing, but they want to monitor the situation just in case it's an extreme case.

My baby measured 8 days ahead at my 20-week ultrasound and earlier this week, I had another one to check my placenta and he was measuring 11 days ahead (but the report says +/- 21 days, which is a crazy huge margin of error, imho.) My ultrasound tech mentioned that his estimated weight is in the 93rd percentile for being 28 weeks old and I have more than the standard amniotic fluid so I've been recommended to get another ultrasound at 32 weeks to check my fluid and growth, at which point if things have gotten more extreme or haven't corrected themselves, I'll probably undergo more testing (meaning everything could still be fine, they just want to be sure). It's always scary to hear something isn't normal but I've been trying to take it with a grain of salt... ultrasound technology has its limits and clinicians are under a lot of pressure to be overly cautious.
  • @ashley14598 This baby measured about a week ahead from pretty early on, and my bump was 2 weeks ahead at my last appointment. My first baby was pretty big, so my midwife just said it looks like another big one in there. She wasn’t at all concerned. I will have a follow-up US for something unrelated at 32 weeks, but I have read that third trimester US measurements are notoriously unreliable, so I won’t put much stock into it no matter what it says. 
  • My first pregnancy I measured 1-2 weeks ahead for most of the pregnancy. My midwives were not concerned. I never had additional ultrasounds or anything like that. My understanding is those don't kick in unless you're 3 weeks or more over or under. But I'm also low risk and with a midwifery practice, and they tend to be more hands-off than standard medical care. 
  • Kenneylynn3Kenneylynn3 member
    edited December 2018
    So my question might seem a little long. I got a call this morning from mfm having said they scheduled my induction for march 11th. My edd is march 16th and this will be my first live birth. I haven't even spoke to a Dr about birth as far as what to expect or induction or anything. Is this normal? My 28 week appt is on the 26th, but I told the receptionist that I need a call from someone to explain as this is all news to me.

Eta: words 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @Kenneylynn3 What is the reasoning for seeing the mfm? I've not been seen by one, but depending on the diagnosis I guess induction might be necessary. It does seem odd for them to schedule it so far out without even talking to you about it.
  • That does not seem normal to me. My sister had to be induced, but they told her why, what she had developed, and what the risks were if she decided not to have it. I would definitely want a discussion so that I could do my own research because there are doctors and medical facilities out there that are a little too induction happy. Inductions carry risks of their own as opposed to going into labor on your own, so I'd want to know it's truly medically necessary before agreeing. 
  • @Kenneylynn3 That seems weird to me. Is there an obvious reason for an induction? Have they previously discussed being induced with you before? Even if there is a medical reason for induction, you might try to request it closer to the due date. Your body might not be ready at 39W, giving you less chance of a successful induction.

FWIW I was induced post-term at 41W with my first, and I didn’t realize there were different kinds of inductions until then. I had a foley bulb (no pitocin) and it worked really well and put me right into labor. It’s worth discussing induction options with them if you know you need to be induced. 
  • @Kenneylynn3 I agree with the others that this should have been a clear conversation between you and your provider, which by your reaction, I gather it was not. They might have sound reasons, but they should have been unquestionably shared with you. I would call the office and have a not-entirely-happy conversation with your provider. They don't just get to tell you what to do, they need to make a plan WITH you for what care you're going to need, and you have the right to know why and ask questions.
  • @Kenneylynn3 just agreeing with the ladies above that it seems very strange that they would schedule the induction with no discussion. I would definitely insist on that call back with details and the reasoning for scheduling you a week before your due date. 
  • @meggyme @lovesclimbing @maggiemadeit @lucysmom2016 @lelkcot Thank you all for your responses. As far as I know, there's no reason to induce especially early. Induction has not even been a discussion. I'm seeing mfm for prior early losses and I have a heart condition. When I spoke to my cardiologist, she said they won't do anything different from her stand point because of my heart condition except extra monitoring. I have been having growth scans due to my heart condition and placenta lakes found on the AS. I have had two doctors tell me the lakes aren't that big of a deal. Also, lo seems to be measuring small, last scan in the 13th percentile but was told they aren't concerned yet. If I don't hear back, I will be calling in two hours. Thank you again ladies. I was so caught off guard and I guess I should have asked to speak to someone then, but I just asked for a call back with an explanation.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @Kenneylynn3 I'm glad you got at least some preliminary answers. Hopefully you'll get a quick response from your cardiologist prior to your appointment on the 26th so you can push back if need be.
  • @Kenneylynn3 I’m glad you at least got that much of answer and hopefully you don’t have to wonder and worry until your next appointment. 
  • @Kenneylynn3 Yikes! I would be so angry to be told my induction was scheduled without any consultation between myself and the physician! Physicians can make recommendations for your care but they can't just make those kinds of decisions without your agreement. I hope you get more answers to make your own informed decision and that there are no more surprises like that!
  • @maggiemadeit @mayoduck @lovesclimbing thank you for your responses! I appreciate it! 

@Kenneylynn3 ugh that is frustrating to get a call like that with no explanation! I dealt with some of that this week from my practice. I’m glad you got ahold of someone that was able to explain more to you. 
  • First time mtb here! 26 weeks today and I'm reading alot about Braxton hicks contractions. Anyone have any pointers on how to know when you have them? I went walking last night for about 2 hours and after, the bottom of my stomach was so tight I couldnt sit up straight.
  • @Bride2b1213 i find it to be a very very tight feeling across the bottom of my stomach, like very tight. They dont hurt, just a pretty uncomfortable. 

• @Bride2b1213 I find I can really only tell by poking at my stomach. Normally it’s kind of squishy, but when I have BH it’s hard, like the flesh on my hand when I make a fist. The same thing was true when I had to determine when to push with my epidural and I couldn’t feel them.
  • @Bride2b1213 I’ll basically echo what the other ladies have said ... my belly gets so tight around and is very hard! They are definitely uncomfortable and you’ll notice them but they don’t hurt you. Sometimes they make me stop what I’m doing for a moment but that’s about it. 
  • @Bride2b1213 Like you described, I sometimes notice tightness while I am out walking. Otherwise, I haven't been feeling anything. At my 28 week prenatal, my midwife told me I was actively having BH right then and I really couldn't tell.
  • Thank you everyone. 26 week appt tomorrow and glucose test. Fingers crossed
  • @meggyme thank you for describing them so well, this actually made me realize that I am having them almost every evening but I didn't know it's the BH. So different than real contractions! And now I'm quite sure I never had them with DS1.
  • Ditto @mihaelams1! Didn’t realize I was having them either & also didn’t have them with my first. :D thanks for the explanation @meggyme!
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Anytime! Like I said, that’s how I had to figure out when my contractions were to push DD1 out because I could t feel them with the epidural. And BH are still contractions, just really really mild ones.
  • Interesting! I have also been having BH lately which I never had with DD1! I wonder if they're more common with subsequent pregnancies? I'm sure I would've noticed if I had them during my first pregnancy and I never felt a single one!
  • I’m a FTM, and I’m definitely feeling BHs, although if I wasn’t on here reading how STMs describe it, I probably wouldn’t have known what was happening lol. It doesn’t hurt at all, and I don’t really feel it, but every once in a while I’ll get an instinct to touch my abdomen and it’ll be rock hard. I keep my hand there and after a little while my stomach will soften up again. Soo weird, but also so cool 😄.
  • Any blood count experts or anemics on here? I got my glucose results back and while they were normal my white and red blood cell counts are all abnormal (white too high, red/hemoglobin & hematocrit all too low).
    My preliminary googling suggests this is probably anemia but I recently leaned I was *very* exposed to asbestos during a reno project a few years ago and have become so paranoid about mesothelioma that now I am panicking it’s cancer. I’m just being crazy right?
  • @mamakate1616 idk about the other two, but the high white blood cell count could mean you're getting sick, even just with a cold. I'd send a message to your doc about the results if they were way out of range and maybe ask at your next appt if they can test you for asbestos exposure like they can for lead. I don't know for sure, but I feel like a lot of mesothelioma cases I've heard about were due to long term repeat exposure, like people working in shipyards with it everyday for years/decades without proper protection.
  • @mamakate1616 Try not to panic! I think quite a lot of us on here have been told we're anemic after the last set of blood work. Personally, I was barely anemic at the start of my pregnancy and my latest blood work shows it's gotten worse. I have abnormally high white blood cells and low H/H too. I would mention the asbestos exposure and any other concerns you have to your provider but low H/H is not uncommon at this point in the pregnancy.
  • @mamakate1616 definitely not an expert, but would agree with the ladies above that’s its likely you’re anemic and fighting a bit of a cold. But definitely worth bringing up with your doctor if it’s worrying you!
  • mamakate1616mamakate1616 member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks ladies for the reassurance!! I left a voicemail with the nurse so hopefully I’ll get a call back soonish. I know the asbestos thing is farfetched but when I did my googling for that it was like “*any* amount of exposure can lead to...” so of course I’m convinced that I’m dying inside of 10 years. 

• @mamakate1616 I'm not sure about my white blood cell count, but I was told I have low hemoglobin at my last appointment. I was told not to worry about it, but to increase my consumption of leafy greens, broccoli and brussel sprouts
  • @mamakate1616 high white count is normal in pregnancy. There is a different range for pregnant people, so you probably don’t need to worry about that part. Mine is really high, 21, because I double reacted I guess, but none of my doctors are worried about it.

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• @3rdtime_charmed interesting! I didn't realize that but my midwife didn't seem to care about my higher white blood cell count so I figured I shouldn't either. She only cared about my low H/H levels.
  • This is my 3rd pregnancy. I was at first thinking these were Braxton Hicks I was feeling but they feel way different from the previous times I was pregnant. My stomach feels super tight and it almost feel like my insides are being pulled downward. My back also hurts during these "Braxton Hicks".Should I be concerned or are these really Braxton Hicks?
  • @mamakate1616 I’m not a blood count expert, but your results sound similar to mine. My doctor said I have mild anemia and told me to take an iron supplement once a day. I think this is pretty common in pregnancy! 
  • mamakate1616mamakate1616 member
    edited December 2018
    I never got a call back today so I guess they are not worried lol. I’m afraid of an iron supplement because I’m already having bathroom issues while taking fiber supplements & stool softeners everyday. :bawling: