March 2019 Moms

Question? Need help? ***POST HERE***

Re: Question? Need help? ***POST HERE***

• Y’all I need help! 
    I have HORRIBLE TMJ pain and taking Tylenol does absolutely nothing for me so I just don’t take it. 

What can I can take?? I read some articles on Ibuprofen and being “okay” to take during the second trimester. 

Can y’all shine light my way before I have a breakdown.  :'(
  • @a_fauver I was told no Advil. I’m attaching a pic of what my doc gave me. I would definitely call your doctor though because they may have a suggestion or maybe there’s an exception. 

• Loading the player...
  • @a_fauver my Dr gave me the same thing. Said no motrin. It also said to call if tylenol doesn't work.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @a_fauver You can try some warm compresses on the jaw and eating soft foods/cutting things into small pieces. Your dentist can make you a bite guard if you’re grinding/clenching your teeth while sleeping which can help
  • @a_fauver you might try chewing a whole clove or finding some baby orajel with benzocaine. Also I read you can get cloves from the spice aisle at the grocery store and mix with water to make a paste to put on the hurty tooth. Also, make a dentist appointment! I have an impacted wisdom tooth so I just went through this. My dentist said I can get it taken out safely if it keeps causing me pain but I’m trying to wait until after the baby is born because I’ve had a dry socket before & don’t want to deal with that without heavy painkillers. 

SaveSave
  • Ok, I’ve decided I definitely get the nastiest symptoms in pregnancy. Did anyone ever have anal fissures now or in the past? I bled for a few hours after a BM yesterday and it’s all from the little tear/cut down there (can visually see it). Nurse said it was normal and to take stool softeners if I need to, but I’ve been pretty regular so far. Any advice would be appreciated! 
  • @tfraz2016 I completely understand your feelings that you get the nastiest symptoms in pregnancy - I feel the exact same way. Every week it just feels like something new and gross is going on with my body that I need to google. I haven't dealt with anal fissures yet, but had my first case of hemorrhoids about a week ago which also caused light bleeding after a BM. I have also been pretty regular (except for the diarrhea this week which was my new nasty symptom.. ugh) and haven't dealt with constipation so I just used witch hazel wipes and symptoms went away after a few days. Not sure about the fissures, though, but I hope the problem clears up soon! 
  • I’ve been having a really weird foot pain in my middle and outer toes lately. Did a lot of standing around barefoot on hardwood floors last week and now I have a pain/numbness in my outer toes. They don’t hurt to the touch, but when I walk I feel like they go numb and they’re just sore and achy. I had plantar fasciitis during my last pregnancy, but not until much, much later. Any ideas? Unfortunately I’m the only parent at home this week, so sitting back and kicking my feet up isn’t really an option.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Any suggestions on best safe remedies for a sore throat? Or shortening a cold?  I used to be a Zicam elderberry taker to try and stop the cold when it started but it seems like online all the data is inclusive if it’s safe for pregnancy. Also is menthol in cough drops ok? I saw mixed answers.

• edited September 2018
    @ca123 I’m getting over a cold now and I’ve just been drinking a lot of tea. I took Sudafed once at night because the congestion was so bad and Tylenol when I had a fever. The tea definitely helped my throat.

@meggyme Maybe try soaking your feet when you are able to?
  • @meggyme are your shoes getting too tight? Especially as your feet swell/change, if your toes gets crowded in your shoes it can pinch the nerves between them and cause some numbness. 

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• My shoes aren’t tight and most of the time I wear flip flops with arch support. I think I might have overdid it last week because I didn’t want to wear shoes on our hosts’ nice hardwood floors. I’ll try soaking in epsom salt tonight and maybe do some feet up the wall.
  • @bug_hunter So far so good today! Oh the things I took for granted prior to pregnancy! Hope the hemorrhoids clear up as well! 
  • @meggyme that sounds like an issue I have - it's called a neuroma and it's when the nerves between your metatarsals get pinched, whether it's from too much time on your feet or too tight shoes. I have super high arches and if they're not properly supported my arch collapses and forces the metatarsals together, which aggravates the nerves. I find that most flip flops, even when they do have arch support, don't have enough of it and/or it's not firm enough. I also now have to be really careful about wearing shoes that are too narrow across theball of the foot - they don't have to feel tight to be too narrow. Your feet need room to spread in the toe box, especially if the nerves are already inflamed.
  • @gowenc that’s interesting. I will have to re-evaluate my shoes. Hopefully they’re just angry from going barefoot so much.
  • So my midwife changed my zofran to diclegis but even with insurance it was stil $294. They (the pharmacist and my midwife) suggested I used unisom and B6 if the diclegis wasn’t paid for by insurance. The pharmacist helped me pick out what I needed but now I’m worried the dosage is too much that I got? The B6 is 100mg and the unisom is 25 m. Does anyone have any insight? I plan to call my nurses line tomorrow but I didn’t know if you ladies had anything to add to this. Thanks! 
  • @ashley14598 I cut the b6 tablets into quarters if that helps.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• @3rdtime_charmed Yes! Thank you! Of course I took one and then started reading that you should only start with 25 mg of it so I wondered how I was so far off! I hope I didn’t hurt my baby or myself by taking one :( 
  • @tfraz2016 @bug_hunter I'm so sorry you guys are experiencing gross symptoms. Isn't pregnancy grand? ;) I wish I could say it gets better but alas, the symptoms tend the just keep piling on the further along one gets. Hope you both feel better soon!

@ca123 I've been using cough drops (Halls) and just making sure not to exceed the daily recommended # on the back of the package. My dr told me last pregnancy that they were ok. 

To all the STM+ out there - has anybody use a doula before? I'm very curious to hear your thoughts! I didn't hire one last time but am considering doing so this time. Is anybody (FTM, STM, etc) hiring one this pregnancy?
  • @ashley14598 I have taken 50mg of B6 twice a day and 1/2 unisom at night for the last 6 weeks or so. I just cut my 100mg B6 in half and took 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. I have had very minimal nausea while I’ve been on it. 
  • @ashley14598 I was told to half the unisom.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @laur84ns I used a doula last time and have one lined up for this delivery as well. My main reason is that both times there’s been a possibility that MH wouldn’t/won’t be there. Having the support is helpful too.

My first delivery was an odd case. My doula has a family emergency and had to leave town, so she introduced me to her back up doula. Well, when I went into labor the backup was already at a birth so she called her backup and a person i’d never met met us at the hospital. After getting the epidural there wasn’t much for her to do for a few hours, but during pushing she helped hold my legs and took pictures for us. They’re also the only pictures of our family in those first few hours.

This time around having DD I imagine she can help me while DH enacts whatever childcare/dog care plan we have.
  • @ashley14598 don’t worry, you didn’t hurt anything.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• Does anyone else have a serious LACK of symptoms in the 2nd Tri? I was virtually symptomless until 9/10 weeks (just exhausted).... then I had a few weeks of stretching pains (exhaustion went away).... now I've got nothin!!! I'm currently 16 + 2. All was well at last week's appointment at 15 + 1.... I'm just curious. I've heard 2nd trimester can be a total breeze sometimes but dang I barely feel pregnant (minus this belly!) 
  • @indigoheightsblog my first pregnancy was pretty much symptom free. Easy until the end, when I was getting to the huge and grumpy part, and DS decided to wedge his foot up under my ribs for the last few weeks. Just enjoy it, you’ll feel movement soon and that will make you feel so much more pregnant!
  • @indigoheightsblog ditto what @lelkcot said. With my daughter I had almost no symptoms ever except my feet were balloons and I had months of heartburn. Enjoy it while it lasts!!  <3
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • @mamakate1616 @lelkcot  thank you ladies, this makes me feel better… It’s been tough from the beginning not having a ton of symptoms because I just want to make sure that everything is OK!  I’m like please, kid, give me a sign over here! LOL -  some days I feel super pregnant and then other days, like today, I wake up and it’s like we’ve got nothing going on over here .....  continue to patiently wait until I feel some movement!!!
  • scimommascimomma member
    edited September 2018
    Over the last few days I've noticed that when I wake up, my lower abdomen has been rock hard and bulging out but then goes away. I'm 17 weeks today and wasn't showing at all a week ago but now I feel like I'm starting to notice some differences. I'm relatively thin but have always had that little bit of fat under my belly button (affectionately known as the "pooch") and I feel like that's sticking out further now. I have a feeling it looks more like I've just been skipping the gym but I might finally be starting to show a little. It's kind of weird because I feel like I've been pregnant for so long and nothing has really changed on the outside and it felt like it never would. Guess I'll really need to break the news to my advisor soon! 

Edit: oops, meant to post this in the "symptoms" thread but I wasn't paying attention!
  • Re: doulas. 

I did not have one. I had my baby at a freestanding birth center. If I gave birth at a hospital, I would definitely consider it. 

A freestanding birth center is so different from a hospital. I have the same couple midwives the entire time, and I know their philosophy on care is the same as mine. I trusted them to take care of me and my baby. And if anything did go south, I would be involved in the decision, and one of them would have come with me and been with us the entire time at the hospital. 

I doubt I would have felt the same way at a hospital. Labor and birth was much more painful than I expected, and I was much more "out of it" than I expected to be. They'd ask me questions, and I'd just say, "I don't know." I'm planning to have this baby the same place, but it was definitely more intense and hard than I expected it to be. My husband was some help, but this was his first birth too! He didn't know much, even though I'd read him books and told him things beforehand. 

So I think whether you need one depends on how much your birth team is aligned with you on birth philosophy (as an out-of-hospital birther, my philosophy is that birth is a natural part of life and is not a medical problem, and most births can occur with zero medical intervention. While problems can arise, birth shouldn't be treated as a medical problem from the outset), and how knowledgeable and good of an advocate your husband or anyone with you will be. 
  • I agree completely with @lovesclimbing. My mom was a midwife and all my aunties that she trained. I had two hospital births (due to being high risk) where the local environment is totally unwelcoming to  natural birth. Still, with my mom and aunties acting as my doulas at the hospital I had two births with zero intervention. I didn’t even get an IV in my arm because they made sure I drank tea & ate soup as needed. After the births my baby was kept with me in the room, only my mom was allowed to give any sponge bath or anything—they represented my every wish.

And lo and behold, when it got super intense I was calling for the drugs but my mom reassured me that right when you think you can’t do it anymore is when the baby arrives. I thought she was lying but I was holding my baby 10 minutes later. And the second time around was much much easier, less painful, less intense. I will have a doula again this last time. 
  • @meggyme @lovesclimbing @keikilove Thanks for the responses! I don't have the option of a birth centre (there aren't any in my province) and I don't feel comfortable with a home birth in case anything goes wrong. There is too high of a demand for midwives and not enough resources here so while I was considering that route, it doesn't look like it's going to be possible. Therefore I'm likely "stuck" with an ob in a hospital. I think I'm convinced now that a doula is a good idea for me, considering I'd like to try for a medication free childbirth (unlike my previous birth where I did plan for and opt for an epidural). I don't know anyone in real life who has used a doula so I was wondering if it was a silly thought, but I think I've made up my mind now that I need/want one to help me go for the birth that I want. Thanks!
  • Did any STM+ take a birthing class during your first pregnancy? Was it valuable? Is it worth doing or is the information just as easily found in books or on youtube?
  • @mayoduck I took a lot of classes because I won them at the hospital tour. If I’d had to pay I probably would have only done a birth class through the hospital I was delivering at.

It went over comfort measures which you’ll need whether or not you get an epidural, what to expect both from your body and your hospital, and about different medical interventions, the risks/benefits and when/why they might be used. I found it beneficial and also the breastfeeding class, although DH will never let me live down making him go to that. I felt very informed and well prepared, but gathering information is how I deal with anxiety about the unknown.
  • keikilovekeikilove member
    edited September 2018
    @mayoduck I took classes for my second pregnancy because it was so many years after the first. It was a combined prenatal yoga/childbirth class in one. The instructor taught us positions that would be helpful in labor and talked about birth from a true reality perspective. I felt very prepared and empowered—well, as prepared as you can be for the unknown of childbirth. I plan to take that class again this time around. It kept me in shape and well-informed. 

And I read the book with my husband “Birthing From Within”. That was an eye-opener and helped me feel that anything I would experience has already been experienced by millions of other women—nothing to be TOO nervous about. :#
  • @mayoduck I checked out a video from my local library for free... and made my husband watch it with me haha. It wasn't the kind that showed actual birth. It was more about how to tell you're in labor, when to leave for the hospital/ birth center, strategies for breathing and positions, etc.
  • ;)@mayoduck I chose to skip the classes and did not regret it. 
  • @mayoduck my hospital does a thing called “baby bound” where you meet with a nurse from the hospital and they register you, go over any questions you have, they did newborn training (how to change a diaper, how to make formula, how to heat up breastmilk, how long it can sit out, be frozen, etc., ways to calm the baby, caring for their umbilical cord before it falls off, etc.), they teach what symptoms to call about/go in for in the late second/third trimester, etc. it actually was very helpful. They also offer 3 different classes about different topics. We did go to one childbirthing class about the different stages of labor. Even though I was induced due to being high risk at the end I did find it helpful to know what signs to look for, etc. It was also helpful for my husband to hear it to know how to best support me during labor and what to look for in different stages. There is a lot of information online these days but for me at least hearing it once was helpful. 
  • @mayoduck DH and I took a natural birthing class which talked a lot about what to expect, what your body is going through, gave positions and tips for coping and gave the partner some ways to help and support. I think it was valuable for both of us. We also took an infant CPR and first aid class that was terrifying, but super valuable. Highly recommend taking one if they’re offered in your area.
  • I second @lelkcot a baby/child CPR and first aid class was very informative. I should revisit that before this one comes.
  • @mayoduck DH & I took a class at the hospital I was going to deliver at and I thought it was helpful since it included a tour of the birthing suites and maternity floor. It was a group setting and it was nice to hear some questions I might not have thought of get answered. The only thing I would warn against is, while my class was great overall, it was given by a OB nurse/lactation consultant so she really had me feeling all the guilt about NEEDING to breastfeed. That's the only part I wish I would have known to take with a grain of salt. I know the class helped DH because he'd never really been around newborns and was oblivious to a lot of the birthing process.