October 2018 Moms

Baby names!

Re: Baby names!

• edited May 2018
    My family moved back to Michigan a couple months ago so I know I'll be up there at least once a year. I totally plan on reaching out to the MI ladies when that time comes. Hope you guys don't mind!
  • Loading the player...
  • Add me to the list of people willing to do a meetup. Also located in MI!
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • I've met 7 ladies from my N16! And we still get together ( a bunch of us live in jersey!) it's great! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • @hellopartyof5 I hope we can make it 8 this summer! Message me on fb when you have dates for the cape!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yesss @DunkinDecaf I will let you know! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • estellegettyestellegetty member
    edited May 2018
    I am flying to Rochester for our friends wedding in two weeks and I think I’m more excited about hanging out with a bunch of my friends from my S16 Group than I am the Wedding
  • slizteesliztee member
    My neck of the woods, @estellegetty!
  • Phooey. DH and I had both liked the name Lukas, and were starting to get a lil attached to it. We were with friends yesterday and realized their lil boy's name is Lucas (not sure on their spelling). We're not with them lots, but enough that it'd be confusing and DH is related to them. It just totally slipped my mind that they'd named their son that!  
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • @coffee-saur DH has 3 Catherine’s in his family. His grandmother, his cousin and his sister. His sister and his cousin are only a year apart. My name is also Catherine lol. It worked out fine. If you love a name, you should use it!
  • @coffe-saur- I agree with @cdepperschmidt on this one. There are four James on my Mom’s side of the family, including my brother and a cousin.  They figured it out.  

Also- I would imagine that if this other Lucas is a little older than your baby, the parents are past that part where they are super sensitive about who is using the name.  Right now, names are a really big deal to us, but in a couple years, most of us aren’t going to care one iota if a friend/relative names their baby the same as ours. 

If you guys are really concerned about stepping on toes, but really like the name, why don’t you just talk to the parents and see what their thoughts are?  (This is one of those places where I personally have no issue getting someone else’s input on the name- see a couple pages ago where we were discussing my process for choosing Blast’s middle name)
  • My mom's sister and my step dad's sister both named their daughter's Olivia. The girls think it is the coolest thing ever. They are only together on occasion, when my parents invite both sides. So it's not often. 
  • I swear my SO's family is made up of like 5 different names for the guys in the family: William, Raymond, Mark, John, Greg. They are a big family and they figure it out just fine. I think if you guys love the name then you should use it! @coffee-saur
  • coffee-saurcoffee-saur member
    edited May 2018
    Those are good thoughts, so we'll definitely keep it in mind! We haven't talked in depth about names at all yet so nothing was really for sure yet. I wouldn't be worried about them being bugged either. They're pretty laid back people. 
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • My husband and I are down to Samantha, Ava or Alexandra for our little girl! :) 

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• @sarahzett all beautiful choices! I really like Alexandra 
  • jynjer4jynjer4 member
    +1 for Alexandra!
  • Samantha is a great name.  ;) 
  • @mamabearcj @jynjer91 thanks! I love that it means “Defender of the People” and being half Greek, I like that it’s a Greek name. However, I love the other two names just as much so I think I’ll be happy no matter what. 

@sammierose464 haha love it! Did you always go by Sammie or did you have other nicknames throughout your life? Did kids ever make fun of you or try and do weird things with your name? I’m trying to go through all the scenarios of what kids could come up with for all the names we are considering.  

• @sarahzett I mostly go by Sam. SS calls me Sammie, and so did my grandpa. The only thing that stands out about "teasing" was when I was about 5. A friend debated me on how I spelt my name because it should be Samanthe because of how it sounded. Lol. Other than that I've had no issue with it. I introduce myself as Samantha professionally, but then quickly tell people I go by Sam. 
  • @sammierose464 awesome, thanks!! 

• edited May 2018
    Making fun of names will happen regardless of the name. Some they don't have to be as creative with but sadly kids are Jerks.
    Edit autocorrect 
  • Kids will find anything to pick on, my maiden name ended in cock... I got lots of jokes and snickers from others all through school and I until I got married honestly. Some names aren't as easy to nit pick but if a kid wants to pick on someone else they'll find something regardless. 
  • @sweetsweettooth @mamabearcj  absolutely. Kids will find a way. I like to ask just to see if there’s something glaring I’m missing with names I’m considering so I can make an informed decision. Like making sure my kids initials don’t spell ASS or something lol 

• Yeah I read somewhere that Aurelia can be turned into Areola if someone wants to tease her. It made me lol and I think about it from time to time but DH and I love the name and what it means so much more so we're not going to let that ruin our decision to use it.
  • @sarahzett I like all of them! BUT Ava is super popular right now and Samantha and Alexandra are not so I would pick one of those. Alexandra is my personal favorite!

Can I name rant for a second? When I was pregnant with DS I had tons of girl names I loved, and we had serious trouble with a boys name. Now that I’m having a girl, the girls names I like are SUPER popular and I have zero ideas. I don’t want to use a super popular name DH and I are both teachers. 
  • Opinions- my SIL had a miscarriage at 25ish weeks (2015) and had twin boys who passed away, one of which was named Antonio (after my dad and brother).  They've since had a baby girl.

This is our third boy and the first boy born since my dad passed away in 2016.  We were thinking of naming this kid Benjamin Antonio.  I don't particularly love Benjamin (or Ben/Benji). I do love Elias but chose to swap it for Antonio as a middle name.  Would it be strange if we named our boy Anthony Elias? 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @tropical1982 ughh that’s tough since it’s also a family name. I think I’d have a tough time hearing it so often if I was your SIL, but I guess she hears it all the time anyway...I guess I personally wouldn’t, but are you guys close enough to talk about it?
  • That is a tough one. Initially I didn't think it would be that bad, since it's a family name. However, @chopchop25
    brings up a good point. I imagine hearing it would be tough.
  • I think if you could talk to your SIL about it and see he she reacts and feels first that would be a good indicator to go for it or not. But talk to her in person or FaceTime at least so you can see her face, she may try to be nice and say it's fine but her face should say it all. Being a family name I think using it as a middle name would be ok because you don't hear it as often but again I'd probably run it by her and your brother too
  • What’s everyone’s thoughts on the name Ofelia? It was a name my dh and I came across while living in Italy at the time. The Dd we considered it for was named Adriana. I love the names Olivia, Isabel, and Evelyn but I’m afraid they are so popular. My other kids are Scarlett and Jackson (and their names have gotten super popular since we had them!) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sarah_smilesss It's not my style, but I don't mind it. I have a friend with a DD named Ophelia. I had never heard of it until she used it. I do prefer the ph spelling over an f though.
  • @sarah_smilesss how would you pronounce it? I read it as o-fay-lee-uh vs o-feel-yah (maybe bc of my spanish background?) I like it.
  • I like Ofelia.
  • jennybean80jennybean80 member
    edited May 2018
    @sarah_smilesss @jellybelly114 It’s a name from Shakespeare (Hamlet’s girlfriend who drowns herself) and is pronounced oh-feel-ya and typically spelled with the “ph”. Since it is a pretty well known literary name if you want it said oh-fay-lee-uh you’re/she’s going to be correcting people all the time. 
    Edited to tag the right people
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @tropical1982 I wouldn’t do it without talking to SIL first.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @tropical1982 I agree with talking with your SIL first. 

@sarah_smilesss I like it but I also prefer the ph spelling. 

As for us....this child will be nameless. We can't agree on anything at this point. I was frustrated at first but I'm fine with it now. We still have time, and we didn't agree on DS name until like 30 or so weeks.