October 2018 Moms
Options

Babyshower Thread

Re: Babyshower Thread

• Options
    So interesting to hear all the different views, opinions and cultural traditions. I’m really not sure if we will be thrown a shower. I’d never host my own because I’d feel greedy, but I am a FTM so we are starting from scratch. My family is rather spread out. We live very close to my MIL but coordinating, funding, or planning s party is just not in her wheel house. My MOH offered to “help” whoever was planning the shower. I mentioned it to my mom who said something like ohhh I’m not good at that kind of stuff and expecting people to bring gifts. So I’m not feeling very optimistic.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    When should we sent out the Evite for a shower September 8th? I know a lot of people plan things far in advance and I would like to get it the Evite out earlier but is it TOO early now?
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    @chyvie I’d say no earlier than 2 months. Now seems early... but that’s just me. 
  • Options
    @chyvie agree with @lisa3379. I’d say mid July - gives people enough time to plan and check out your registry, plus enough time for anyone on vacation to come back and get it/go away in August and have time to shop. Any earlier would feel too early IMO.
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    Thanks ladies! I thought it might be too early. Just trying to cross things off my never ending list and that seemed like an easy one to do! LOL
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    Too early and people forget about it! I think 4-6 weeks is appropriate.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    @chyvie doesn't mean you can't have some fun drafting invites and just wait to send!
  • Options
    @SawyerRichardson pfft not at all I would be super ticked. That is beyond tacky. Like you said, not my problem you sold everything. Buy what you need second hand!
  • Options
    @SawyerRichardson super tacky!! I doubt I'd even go to be honest. It sounds like she needs diapers and clothes and there are plenty of super cute second hand stores for that or Amazon diaper subscriptions. 
  • Options
    @SawyerRichardson - I’d be checked out of that one too.  :( There is absolutely no reason you have to go, and giving up a few hours of my life for that would make me cranky.  
  • Options
    sammierose464sammierose464 member
    edited May 2018
    @knottieamusements yay!!

@SawyerRichardson I wouldn't go either. Id be annoyed
  • Options
    That’s so exciting @knottieamusements!

@SawyerRichardson that is the tackiest. Hard pass.
  • Options
    @mytrueloves that's super sweet of her! Kind of curious if others disagree, but I think it's absolutely fine to accept
  • Options
    @mytrueloves is your sister trying to throw you a full blown baby shower or a sprinkle? Sounds like maybe a sprinkle since you already have everything you need and don't have a registry.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    @britvahok I don't know what she has in mind, but it's probably going to end up being a sprinkle because we literally have everything for baby already. The only thing that would be on our registry if we had one would be things like clothes and blankets, so stuff people would already get as gifts if they wanted to gift anything. But we don't have a registry because that's all that would be on it lol
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    @mytrueloves how far apart are your kiddos going to be? If theyre close in age it can be seen as gift grabby even though you aren't throwing it. I guess it depends on you're family and friends/community, ECT. If it's something that's common then go for it! If it's something you're not sure of maybe ask your sister instead of hosting a shower if she could help supply food for a sip and see after baby arrives? And negate guests at your house that may be staying too long possibly. That way shes still able to do something for you, it doesn't require people bring gifts, and everyones happy! 
  • Options
    @mamabearcj DD will be turning 6 when baby is born. Sis is just really excited about this baby and wants to celebrate. I'm fine with her not even calling it a shower / sprinkle, just a party.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    @mytrueloves I agree with the other ladies! You already have everything and if someone asks about a registry then they'll figure out something to get. Not gift grabby or tacky at all
  • Options
    @mytrueloves i agree with @knottieammusments have a celebration for baby but not really a shower.

When I was pregnant with DS my best friend and I were not in contact much ( we were both having major relationship/family issues at the time) my SIL threw us a sprinkle and my best friend wants her turn with this baby. She was so excited I couldn't tell her no. It's going to be more of a party to celebrate the new baby. We dont need anything as DS will be 2 when DD is born and our registry is private and will not be shared. (We have Amazon, mainly for the completion discount for the few things we want to get). It will just be close family and a few friends. My family and SO all have boys so it's the first girl in a long time so everyone is excited about that too. 
  • Options
    I think sprinkles are totally fine if it's a different sex. It's cute and who doesn't like buying baby clothes? I know I do!!! I think they've become very common. In fact I had 2 surprise ones thrown for me last time lol (both very small with close friends and the other close family). As long as it's not some huge thing I don't see anything wrong with it.  
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    @mytrueloves you could always see if she wants to do a diaper party instead of a sprinkle, those are becoming more and more common. And it's something you actually will need and use. 

• Options
    @sarahzett my mom is the same way with the invite list, she invited her coworkers I've never met, tried inviting my dad's coworkers wives(he thankfully shut that down) tried inviting friends from middle school I haven't talked to in years!? I had to cut down the list to now mostly family and the very few friends I actually stay in touch with 
  • Options
    @mytrueloves I think it’s totally fine since someone is doing it for you. Maybe suggest a diaper party type thing.
  • Options
    @mamabearcj that’s good you were able to narrow it down! I gave her a list and it sounds like she’s just trying to ignore it so I guess we’ll see who ends up coming haha 

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• Options
    @sarahzett luckily I am able to talk her out of outrageous things.  She tried inviting my first boyfriends mom and I absolutely shot that down.  I felt like it was so gift grabby to invite people I don't talk to, don't know,  etc, to come to my shower and celebrate me when I probably wouldn't be invited to a similar situation for them ya know?? 
  • Options
    I’ve had a friend waiting to throw me one for a couple years now, and we just set the date! She loves planning and hosting showers, so there’s not much for me to do. It feels kinda weird to leave this entirely in someone else’s hands, lol. How early should I try to get her the registry? 

@sarahzett could you tell her the clubhouse has a max number of people for capacity? Maybe that would help curb the list a little. 
  • Options
    @halfanewt I'd get her the registry sooner than later! Even if it isn't done yet she might need the links to put on the invites! And you can keep adding to it until you finish it really. They way she won't get bombarded with registry questions 
  • Options
    @halfanewt unfortunately, she was at the tour of the facility so she knows it holds 120... lol. She just has the "bigger is always better" mentality. I am going to see her tomorrow for my birthday and I will broach the topic and make a point to let her know it will be more special to me if I just have the people close to me there. Hopefully she'll understand.

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• Options
    I have to figure out our guest list. It will be very similar to my wedding shower last year, but I have some girl friends I want to invite that weren't invited to my shower.