October 2018 Moms
Options

Babyshower Thread

Re: Babyshower Thread

• Options
    @mamabearcj I am also team "I hate games at showers". That being said, my aunt did two games at my sister and I's shower. She did the "dirty diaper" one (agree...gross) and the string one to guess how big our bellies were. I think that one was awkward. I really like the bingo one while people are opening gifts...if I have to do a game, that is the one I prefer. One of my friends had one at her bridal shower that was emojis and you had to guess what the phrase was supposed to be (wedding related). That one was kind of fun, maybe they have a baby one like that?
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    Some of my friends had some funny games: 
    - pin the sperm on the uterus
    - Pop the balloon belly using only someone else's belly
    - guess how many jelly beans in a large bottle
    - free a small baby in a frozen block of ice the fastest (creativity won extra points so people who just ran it under water didn't win) 
    - dress a doll the fastest

Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    +1 for hating games unless it’s with booze or something like cornhole. But I’m sure there will be games.
  • Options
    I'm not a games person either, but my mom and MIL love them.

So we are doing:

Children's Book Emoji Pictionary
    Animal Gestational Matching Game
    And Baby Jeopardy

My mom is also doing the jelly beans in the bottle guessing game and the baby in ice cube waterbreak game, but those are more ongoing.
  • Options
    alexa_94alexa_94 member
    edited July 2018
    Is there a registry thread somewhere? 
    I just wanted to see what everyone has put in there’s. I think mine is all set lol. 
  • Options
    Wasn't sure whether to post this in questions or here, but anyone have any tips on thanking people for gifts that they sent prior to the shower at the shower? I'll be opening gifts and thanking people there, but a couple of our big items were purchased and shipped to our house and I don't want to leave those people out.

Also, the shower is this upcoming Sunday and I'm excited but also so nervous about it. I'm just so awkward when put on the spot. Hoping it'll feel a lot more natural when it's actually happening.
  • Options
    I've just been writing thank you notes as the gifts arrive, not waiting until a shower @nikimelon

• Options
    @nikimelon - I’ve also just been writing notes as I receive gifts.  

I know that I have seen suggestions in some places to make display boards with photos of the gifts and acknowledgment with who they came from.  That seems like too much work to me; if anything, I’d just reiterate my written thank-you with a conversation at the shower of how much the gift was appreciated.  
  • Options
    @nikimelon same as others, I just write thank yous as the gifts arrive, whether it's to my house or from a shower.
  • Options
    I went to a shower in May that had a poster board with pictures of what they had received at home and the person's name next to it. 
  • Options
    @nikimelon i did an overall thank you to anyone who sent gifts ahead of time when i was done opening gifts, and of course I will write them a thank you card. I decided to wait to write thank yous for those gifts till after, because many of those people had small gift bags with a card that said what was shipped to our house and a baby outfit or something small. 
  • Options
    @nikimelon I have been keeping a list of what we received and plan to read through it and thank people after I open the other gifts at the shower so they are acknowledged as well. I like the poster board idea, but that’s too much work lol. I haven’t written any thank you notes...not even from our first showe a month ago...that’s on the list for this weekend
  • Options
    I’ve been sending thank you s as gifts arrive.

+100 to hating games.

Weird etiquette question...we invited a lot of people to the shower (partly because we invited couples) and now I’m worried too many people are coming for the space. Is it awkward or bad etiquette to have my husband take all the guys down the block to our local microbrewery?

Other option is changing the location to a bigger space (family friend offered and it’s juat a few blocks away) but I feel a little awkward about that option too- mostly I don’t want to impose (although she is my moms best friend and has known me since birth...) 

Any thoughts!
  • Options
    @rc-cola I think it'd be okay to send the guys to the brewery!! Unless they really want to be there, but given the choice I know my husband would rather the brewery lol he's steering clear of the shower all together until the end to make an appearance 
  • Options
    @rc-cola I've been stressing about that. Our venue fits 60 and we invited 90... Our RSVP list ended at 58! 

I think it would be fine to have DH take the guys down the street 
  • Options
    chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited August 2018
    I can't believe how big your showers are! Wow!

@rc-cola would the bar be prepared for all of those guys, and would you be hosting? I'd say just go with the flow and let the guys decide, if you don't need to pre-book some space. Plus, I'm sure there'll be a few late arrivers or early departures that will help with the natural ebb and flow.
    It's sweet of you to worry, but I'd say that everyone's an adult and will figure out how to make themselves comfortable. And, JMO, but it'd be weird to push them out to another location if you weren't planning on hosting the brewery drinking/activities.

• Options
    @rc-cola I don't think its bad etiquette. We went to a friend's baby shower a couple weeks ago and the guys all came to the house initially and then once the shower actually started, all of the guys went to lunch at a local bar. To @chopchop25's point, we did know this was the plan well ahead of time, and there were only maybe 10 guys that came so it was not an issue for the restaurant, and we weren't expecting our friends to foot the lunch bill. However, that is something to consider. I would at least call the brewery and let them know the group is coming if it is a fairly large group.
    Would it be an option for the guys to be outside the house and grill or something? We are doing a separate party for the guys at my in-laws house for our shower so the guys have a place to go. We are just getting beer, burgers, and brats for them and then us girls will join them later. I wanted to be able to see the guys too, but I also wanted to have an actual baby shower with all the ladies.
  • Options
    @rc-cola the same thing happened to us. We said on our invite that partners are welcome and everyone responded yes, with my sister in law saying she would be bringing her kids too. We ended up doing a daytime shower with mostly my family and friends and having my husband’s people come a bit later. The plan is to run to Costco (literally 10 minutes from our house) and pick up anything we need in between. My sister is having the first portion of the shower catered so I’m sure we will have plenty left over. We have a small house and a big backyard but didn’t want it getting too crazy in the day, especially if it ends up raining and we have to keep people indoors. I don’t think it’s bad etiquette to change the location, time, or splitting the group. It will be nicer if you can actually talk to your guests and thank them directly.
  • Options
    rc-colarc-cola member
    edited August 2018
    Thanks to everyone for your responses! And sorry I went MIA after posting. Work got really intense.

The bar is this amazing gem of a micro brewery one block away from us in Brooklyn that has huge tables and is like always empty. It’s a NYC miracle. After reading your thoughts I think the plan is have everyone show up and then H will offer to take a group there like an hour in.
  • Options
    How is everyone addressing the thank you notes from the shower? If it was a Ladies only shower do you just thank the lady of the house? The whole family? And how do you sign it? Just you? You and baby? You and DH? You dh and baby? 
  • Options
    @SweetSweetTooth I had the same question, and will probably do what others have done. On my to do list for the weekend...
  • Options
    I usually sign thank you cards from Sam and Mac (DH)
  • Options
    DH and I will both sign the cards, but we'll address it to who signed the card for us, like others have done.
  • Options
    OMG baby girl clothes are just the most precious, aren't they @chopchop25?!
  • Options
    One down one to go. No pictures were taken during the shower! My mom was mad! Thankfully there were a free guests still there so she snapped some. I have the bigger one on the 26th. Hoping for a good turn out! 
  • Options
    @spartan4life you have a bigger one yet?! Nice! Lol @almost everyone using gift bags! 
  • Options
    @chopchop25 those deviled eggs are awesome!!

Had my shower two weekends ago, I hope all my friends start getting pregnant soon because I’m so saving and reusing all the baby gift bags! 
  • Options
    chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited August 2018
    @cagncoo12 thanks! My SIL (brother's wife) made those and her mom made the watermelon baby/carriage 

@spartan4life that cake is awesome!