August 2018 Moms

UO 3/1

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: UO 3/1

• Loading the player...
  • @meeks2020 I find this interesting because DH and I are the exact opposite. Neither of our names have a natural nickname and we both hate it so we picked/are picking names that allow for them. 
  • ecwk said:
    I think I’m in the minority here, possibly due to the fact my m/s has not been debilitating. I think being pregnant is freaking amazing. I love it, all of it. 

I felt that way last time, so I’m happy for you and bummed for me. What drives me crazy is when people complain about the lack of symptoms. Just be thankful, damnit!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• ecwkecwk member
    ecwk said:
    I think I’m in the minority here, possibly due to the fact my m/s has not been debilitating. I think being pregnant is freaking amazing. I love it, all of it. 

I felt that way last time, so I’m happy for you and bummed for me. What drives me crazy is when people complain about the lack of symptoms. Just be thankful, damnit!
    I'm bummed for you too! And everyone else who isn't enjoying the experience. I was guilty last time of worrying a bit about lack of symptoms but I agree that complaining about the lack thereof is pretty annoying especially in a forum like this where some women are really suffering! I hope you feel better soon @lalala2004 xo 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ecwkecwk member
    @mrsbubbles-2
    It's essentially your basic grilled cheese but you split the cheese into four bowl and add food colouring (bleurgh) so that you have different shades. Then away you go!! Dare you to try it :lol:

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ecwk omg - I'm dying here!

Challenge accepted! I'm going to send the pic to DH and tell him that this is something I need in my life immediately, major pregnancy craving. (He's the grilled cheese maker in the house)

I'll update with photos.

I freakin love this board :)
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I absolutely loved the first half of my pregnancy with ds and had no sickness or issues, so I get it. This time I wanted the most uneventful normal pregnancy and so far I've gotten the normal part down- every symptom thrown at me   :D it may suck sometimes- but I'll take it! 

• ecwkecwk member
    meeks2020 said:
    I absolutely loved the first half of my pregnancy with ds and had no sickness or issues, so I get it. This time I wanted the most uneventful normal pregnancy and so far I've gotten the normal part down- every symptom thrown at me   :D it may suck sometimes- but I'll take it! 
    I hope second and third trimesters are easy, breezy and symptom free-zy!! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @doctormom33 I like cold beets from a can, I've eaten them that way since I was little 

• F47F47 member
    @doctormom33 I love beets, too! Mmmmm!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • + 1 on the Disney stuff. Sorry, I think it's strange. 

@dirtanddiamonds I know a few people like that. We're asked pretty frequently how we "have it all figured out," and honestly - we DON'T - but we aren't stupid with money. We frequently vacation but that's because we don't do dumb stuff like buy a new house of furniture every 3 years. 

My UO is that ALL FISH IS NASTY! All of it. Especially sushi. WHY TF would you eat raw fish? Even the cooked stuff is gross, though. 
  • edited March 2018
    @Firemanswife11 I am in a box. Dang it. I personally am just not that enamored with Disney Parks. I think Disneyland is boring. World is funner but so pricey and I feel like once you’ve seen it, you’ve seen it. 

But if that’s your thing, go for it. We probably spend more money than necessary on riding our Rzrs. It’s our thing. I get it. 

My UO was more like if you are delving into poverty for extras in life. Fix your priorities. These folks could probably pay off their car with their return. But they’ve chose otherwise. I just don’t get that. 
  • I love Disney but I am not wacko crazy about. I have been to Disney World 3 times and will definitely try to take my kid(s). I would not lose my car over it! I do think Disney Themed Weddings are over the top. I kinda think any themed weddings are a little much. 

This is the only UO I could think of because I just saw someone had a salad in the fridge at work. I hate raw spinach! Cooked i fine but raw is nasty. I get a little angry when I order a salad and it has a ton of spinach instead of lettuce. 
  • Catching up:
    -I don't get the Disney obsession either.  No desire to go there and super thankful I have boys so I don't have to gag over princess stuff.
    - I'm probably called a helicopter mom sometimes, but it's usually because someone else's house isn't as prepared for a toddler as my own.  And he's mine, I'll protect him if I feel like it.
    - I LOVE beets!  I'm so glad other people do too!
    - I refuse to publicly discuss money.  DH didn't even know how much I made when we got married.  Because he didn't care and that was really important to me.  My ex valued people in life based on what they brought in and it really scarred me.  So yeah, I don't like talking about money/income/etc.
  • @dirtanddiamonds My in-laws also have that mentality. They have payments on everything, cc’s practically maxed out, and will ask us for $$ to pay their property taxes. We don’t give them $$ anymore because they just spend any extra they have on unnecessary shit. DH’s brother is the same way. His wife just spent $200 on books at Barnes & Noble. Last month asked me to buy her kid a $65 birthday gift for his party this weekend because they couldn’t afford it. Um, no. I’ll stick to my budget thanks. 
  • @livinthesunnylife that’s crazy to me that you didn’t have a discussion about money before you got married. I understand not wanting it to be an important value, but it’s also a logistic that needs to be worked through. There was a really good clip PBS did recently about money and marriage/couples that stressed the importance of financial compatibility. It just feels irresponsible to not at least talk about it (and obviously you’re fine and it worked for you guys which is great, but I can’t fathom it)

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

• @melbel0824 fair point.  We did discuss credit scores and not having debt.  But too often relationships are based on the wrong thing and I think it's important for money not to even be a factor until way after love is. 
  • @livinthesunnylife I absolutely agree with money not being the foundation of a relationship or even something that needs to be discussed early on.

I think in a more general sense, kids should be taught more about finances and credit. DH is a finance guy and he's trying to help the couple that lives with us better understand how to budget and how to solve their credit issues because they have no idea otherwise. Their parents didn't teach them or lead by a good example.
  • I got distracted by beets.  I've never eaten beets.  I can't get over the image of gelatinous sliced beets at the salad bar with bits of pasta salad sprinkled over them from people overloading their spoons.  

I think maternity photos where people rest a little pair of shoes or name blocks on their bumps are....not my style....
  • - Disney is just overrated marketing for me. And my kid will not be going when I think there's better things to do. I do enjoy the older Disney movies, most of the new ones that aren't Pixar are just lame. Favorite Disney movie of all time for me? Robin Hood. 

- I freaking LOVE beets. I eat canned, pickled, baked, and I love steamed beet greens. :D

- I do not have the aptitude for finances, I never have, and my husband gave up ages ago when trying to explain it. It makes me feel like I'm out of the loop of being a competent adult in a stable marriage, but it's just not my thing and goodness knows I've tried. I'm not sure if earlier intervention by my parents or school would have helped, but it may have. He does the budgeting, bill paying, and taxes, and I do everything else, so I guess it works for us? 

After another shitty encounter at my mailbox this morning that just reinforces why I unfortunately don't walk to get the mail anymore, I guess my UO is that I do not like pit bulls. This particular dog once again charged me trying to open my truck door. I sat in my truck and honked the horn to no avail for a couple of minutes. Just as I was about to give up and drive back home, the house a short distance from our mailboxes has a police officer living there who came out with his night stick, he waved his hands and shouted at it, and finally the dog ran off. He and I talked a bit and he said he can't let his kids play out in the yard alone because he doesn't trust the dog.

The dog in question lives about a quarter mile down the road from where my mailbox is located, he has been limping for months with a large angry swelling on his rear leg that appears not having been seen to by a vet, he is left out all the time to run at cars on our county road (probably how his leg got hurt), and mostly from the trash I see strewn all over the yard eats garbage and roadkill. I've called animal control several times, but they refuse to come out to private property without landowner permission (lamest excuse ever).

Let me preface that I am an animal lover. I LOVE all sorts of animals...livestock, dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles, even tarantulas. And if you saw my house or met me in person you'd understand why my friends nicknamed me "The Zookeeper". But there's just something about pits that I don't trust. I don't care how cute you say they are, how cuddly you say they are, how friendly you say they are, how they come in that adorable shade of grey I love on a dog...I don't want to be around them, it makes me uncomfortable. I sure as hell don't understand why people with small children allow them to socialize together. Seeing local Facebook pictures of little kids hugging all over a dog that clearly looks uncomfortable with the situation just makes me cringe and toss an atheist prayer to the universe that the dog never snaps. They're in the category as a loaded bazooka for me. My beagle mutt isn't bred with the mentality to be aggressive or misplaced protective, but if he bites, you're not likely to die in one bite...not so with a pit. So many other good dogs to have as a family dog instead. It's so bad locally the local animal shelter doesn't even adopt them out anymore. It was too much work and money involved trying to assess their temperament and training, and then the liability if something were to go wrong, that they're just euthanized now after a week if no owner comes to claim them. It's sad all around.