August 2018 Moms

UO 3/1

Re: UO 3/1

• Yeah, you need to be careful around all dogs with kids. We won’t even get a dog until the kids are older. No offense to people who do, I just think you need to be careful, but obviously a huge dog is bound to do more damage than a chihuahua.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I've had many pit bulls. A few were problems. Fostered a mama dog that attacked my dog and my husband. Most of them were dog-aggressive to an extent. My last girl was extremely dog aggressive. Couldn't even walk her safely because everyone else liked to let their dogs run off-leash. It was not fun constantly living in fear of an open gate or door. She was fine with my kid, except she knocked him over a time or two out of excitement. 

My in-laws have two pits. I don't like them because they aren't trained for shit and THAT scares me. Honestly, most pits are really stubborn blockheads and they take a "certain" type of owner. We could be the right kind of owner - when we didn't have kids. I won't have one around kids again and may never own another. I did enjoy my time with them, though, and I think they CAN be great dogs. Too much of a risk for me personally. 

Now I have a lab and I cry when I think about how good of a dog she is. It's utterly ridiculous. Best. Dog. Ever. 

• Yes, Disney scares and intimidates me but I am sure we'll go someday maybe...just once. I've never been besides the Animal Kingdom.

Finances, DH does all of ours but he's a Budget Analyst so he loves spreadsheets and all that ish with that.  We actually combined our finances right after we got engaged which probably seems crazy now that I think about it but it works.

My UO potentially on finances is I really don't get married couples that have their "own" bills to pay with "their" money.  To me, we're married and it's all of our money, no matter who makes more or less, etc.  Like my co-worker pays her husband every month for her portion of their medical insurance since it comes out of his paycheck at work.  That's just insane to me.  I used to also know someone who literally split groceries and kid related stuff like diapers when they were married.  It just seems like so much work!  

DH and I run big purchases by eachother but if I want a pair of shoes, I buy them and him as well.  We both have "side" jobs - me with fitness and him with his National Guard pay but it all gets blended in.
  • I have a lab pit mix that is obviously more pit than lab. He is 4 years old and has never even try to hurt a person. His best friend is a 7 pound dachshund. I think pits can easily become aggressive if they are raised to be. He loves children and small creatures. He is scared of his own shadow and needs lots of cuddles when he gets scared. I absolutely adore pits and I will probably only adopt pits after my experience with this one. They can be handfuls because they need lots of attention and exercise but they do not have to be aggressive. You have to raise them right just like any other dog. 
  • @scottishlass1213 Yeah that whole paying eachother thing seems stressful and like a lot of work.  Joint account, joint credit cards, joint life works well for us. 
  • We have joint and separate bank accounts.  A vast vast majority of our income goes into the joint account, but we like to have our own money to spend on things.  We buy christmas/birthday gifts for each other from our separate funds.  We buy nonessential stuff from there too.  Like if DH wants a new pair of skis, that's a personal account purchase.  If I want a new pair of heels, that is on me.  We occasionally vacation separately, so those are separate purchases as well (like his ski trip in a few weeks, and my trip to disney during it, are personal expenses).  everything for our regular life (kids, mortgage, utilities, vacations, cars, etc) comes from the joint account though.

I have a friend who keeps her money and her husband's money 100% separate which is super weird to me.  They have a kid now too.  They track every expense and her husband reimburses her for his half every month.  When we go out to dinner they ask for separate bills.  It is nuts.
  • ecwkecwk member
    delujm0 said:
    When we go out to dinner they ask for separate bills.  It is nuts.
    Like separate bills from you guys or from each other? Because if it’s from each other that’s so so strange to me!!! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • F47F47 member
    I freaking love Disney. I just took the kids with my whole family (14 people) in October and I’m going back with DS1, my sister, her son, my other nephew and my grandma at the end of April. I went tons as a kid and those trips are some of my happiest memories. 

I wouldn’t do a Disney wedding, but no judgment of someone does (and can afford it). 

My my grandfather was in the military and we get a great discount, so that helps with the cost, for sure. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @f47 there’s a military discount? I has no idea! 

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

• @hardlyhannah my parents are military so we used the discount (it’s great) and stayed at the military resort in Florida. We did a girls trip when I was a teenager with my sister, mom, and grandma and loved stayed at Shades of Green. I’d probably go back to Disney just to stay at that hotel again!
  • F47F47 member
    @hardlyhannah YES! Look at Shades of Green resort. It’s basically on Disney property and really reasonably priced, no tax, etc. Thayre renovating half of the resort this year, so the “deals” aren’t as good, but the vase room rate is $140, which isn’t much more than a Hampton Inn. We’ve stayed before for $115/night and it included free buffet breakfast. You also order your park tickets through shades and they’re cheaper than the regular rates. The resort is super nice, too.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @F47 I'm a DoD employee so I also get to take advantage of Shades of Green and the ticket discounts. I stayed there last time I went, and it was awesome. I loved that the buses came on a schedule so I always knew when it would be there!
  • I totally agree with @jsnakehole! Nuture vs. nature with dogs. My moms SO had a pitbull and he was the sweetest dog in the world. He would hide in the shower during thunder storms or really loud noises. 

My last Disney trip was with family and there was only 1 kid. DH and I mostly stuck to ourselves and had an amazing time. It was the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot so we drank around the world and had a blast. I absolutely think adults sans kids have just as much fun. 

DH used to handle all the bill paying stuff until like two years ago when I took over I like being in charge but, him not having any clue what is going on is really frustrating sometimes. Sometimes I think he just spends without even thinking. Now I know how he felt when he was in charge. I am way more organized than he was. I have a spreadsheet that I use to keep track of bills and what to save each month.  We have joint everything. I just think having separate would be so confusing and complicated. 
  • DH and I have been married for just over 2 years and only recently started combining finances. Until about 4-ish months ago, he had his account and credit cards, I had mine and we would just say you pay the x bills this month, I'll pay y. We would just pick whatever card to put things like dinner out or something, the idea of splitting a bill is crazy to me. We've recently just started merging everything but it's more that we're lazy at adulting than anything. lol!
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • delujm0 said:
    We have joint and separate bank accounts.  A vast vast majority of our income goes into the joint account, but we like to have our own money to spend on things.  We buy christmas/birthday gifts for each other from our separate funds.  We buy nonessential stuff from there too.  Like if DH wants a new pair of skis, that's a personal account purchase.  If I want a new pair of heels, that is on me.  We occasionally vacation separately, so those are separate purchases as well (like his ski trip in a few weeks, and my trip to disney during it, are personal expenses).  everything for our regular life (kids, mortgage, utilities, vacations, cars, etc) comes from the joint account though.

This is our exact same situation. Works great for us! 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• ecwk said:
    delujm0 said:
    When we go out to dinner they ask for separate bills.  It is nuts.
    Like separate bills from you guys or from each other? Because if it’s from each other that’s so so strange to me!!! 
    Separate FROM EACH OTHER.  It is so weird.
  • vinerie said:
    delujm0 said:
    We have joint and separate bank accounts.  A vast vast majority of our income goes into the joint account, but we like to have our own money to spend on things.  We buy christmas/birthday gifts for each other from our separate funds.  We buy nonessential stuff from there too.  Like if DH wants a new pair of skis, that's a personal account purchase.  If I want a new pair of heels, that is on me.  We occasionally vacation separately, so those are separate purchases as well (like his ski trip in a few weeks, and my trip to disney during it, are personal expenses).  everything for our regular life (kids, mortgage, utilities, vacations, cars, etc) comes from the joint account though.

This is our exact same situation. Works great for us! 
    Yes this as well. I grew up with my mom having to ask my step dad every time she wanted to buy something. I guess for her since she was a single mother for a long period of time she was just happy to have someone to help with the financial piece. Me on the other hand saw it as a nusance and a control issue. I vowed to never let that be my situation. Luckily my husband is on board (not sure I would have married him if he wasn’t) and we buy what we want in reason with our separate cash. It works for us and I wouldn’t have it any other way. My husband actually has the better end of the stick because he makes a substantial amount more than me. Which means he has more excess money. Even with that I am still ok with it. 
  • Finances... I think it depends on where you are going in. DH and I both came out of college without any loans and we're making similar wages.hl He had significantly more saved than I did, but neither of us are spenders. So we combined everything and it works for us. However, if one partner has a lot of debt or bad credit, or is a spender, maybe keeping things separate is a good idea. 
  • edited March 2018

I use her as an example all the time to the folks that stereotype pits. Because it’s just not fair. They get such a bad rap when they aren’t the most dangerous breed NATURALLY and only because psycho dogs when trained to be that way. It’s sad. 

The problem with pit bulls (after training, owning, raising them for years) is that they are so highly overbred and INbred, you get dogs with loose screws. Most of mine were totally fine. None were ever people aggressive (except that one mama dog I had, and that may or may not have been because she had a litter in an unfamiliar place).

The dog we spent the most time, money, training and general work on was the most scarily dog-aggressive and reactive dog I've ever had. She had no "bad upbringing," and she certainly wasn't trained to be that way. Granted, we have no idea about her bloodline (nor any of our other pits - they were all rescues) so who knows if she was a product of major inbreeding. I cry about that dog almost every damn day and she's been gone since May 15th of last year. Her ashes are on my dresser. I miss her so effing much. :cry: 

Sorry, it cut off the rest of my post!

@dirtanddiamonds I'm sorry for your kitty! I'm going to sound majorly ignorant but I didn't even know that was a possibility. :(  Poor babies. Sorry you had such a rough day and had to deal with that. 
  • edited March 2018
    I guess it's my UO that I'm a Disney fan, and we are Disneyland annual passholders. My house isn't covered in Disney, nor did we have a Disney wedding (my cousin did, though, and it was surprisingly classy and not at all tacky like I thought it would be). DH is actually a bigger Disney nerd than I am, and we love going and learning the history and behind the scenes stuff. I only went to Disneyland a couple of times as a kid on short trips, and didn't go to Disney World until high school, but they're both very special places to me, especially now that we take DS often. It's just such a happy place, with lots of good food and fun rides. Plus seeing him enjoy the marching bands, parades, and character meetings makes it all worth it. Since we're SoCal residents, we pay monthly for our passes, so it's not that much money, and it's the one thing I actually like about living here, so I get our money's worth for sure. 

I definitely don't want to go on Disney vacations every time we go on vacation, it's just a fun family-friendly place where we know DS will be happy. 

Edit to add: the military discount was amazing when we went to WDW in Sept 2016 - we got 4 day park hoppers for like $179 each, which is like paying for a day and a half. We also got a decent rate and free dining at our resort, and we were there during the Epcot food and wine festival, which is SO much fun. Highly recommend. DH and I went off on dates while my parents watched DS at the hotel, and it was wonderful. 

@delujm0 are you a DVC member? We just did our first Disney 5K last fall, and it was so much fun, but Disneyland has now cancelled all the races until after Star Wars land opens :( 
    April Siggy Challenge: April Showers
    68b4a0fa9283500827195ef5a5ccdd70

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!
    BFP 2.28.17, EDD 11.8.17 - baby girl, miscarried at 11 weeks on 4.21.17
    BFP 11.28.17, EDD 8.8.18, delivering in July - another rainbow baby boy!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @dirtanddiamonds I'm so sorry about your kitty!  
  • That's so sad @dirtanddiamonds, I'm sorry!

@hfooter agreed on the facebook thing. I have my profile locked the eff down, so all people would know is my name and profile pic. I just don't see the big deal. 
    April Siggy Challenge: April Showers
    68b4a0fa9283500827195ef5a5ccdd70

About me:
    29 y/o
    Married 6.26.11
    BFP 12.23.13, EDD 9.2.14 - baby girl, born too soon at 22w6d due to a placental abruption on 5.5.14
    BFP 8.4.14, EDD 4.15.15 - rainbow son, born at 30w4d due to a placental abruption on 2.8.15, healthy 3 y/o now!
    BFP 2.28.17, EDD 11.8.17 - baby girl, miscarried at 11 weeks on 4.21.17
    BFP 11.28.17, EDD 8.8.18, delivering in July - another rainbow baby boy!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Exactly what @lalala2004 said. You'd be amazed the bsc.

• Even after we moved to FB right before our due dates with my last BMB, we had some BSC chick. She. Was. Insane. 
  • We combined finances when we bought a home together while engaged. Dh has no student loans, while I have some. We were open about finances from the beginning, and made it a game to see who could raise their credit score more. 

Regarding disney, once kid is old enough to enjoy, we will take advantage of dh being military and go discounted. While not adverse towards disney, its hard for me to fathom the prices, compared to luxurious vacations elsewhere. 

Facebook is full of crazies, though at this point, you can do a lot to ensure privacy is maintained. People put way too much info, including things like work places and full legal names, which is somewhat unintelligent, especially for those with unique names. 
  • Regarding disney- we have a theme park not very far from us that's cheaper and I imagine (besides not having Disney characters) to be just as fun. I have 0 interest to go to Disney bc of it.

• Yeah it isn’t that hard to lock your fb down, and lots of ppl use only their first and middle, or a nickname. 

Probably ppl don’t see me as a super active person, but it’s frankly because of the app. It’s really hard to follow the random threads where all the chatter is so I end up not opening them. So I’m going on about it because I feel like I’m not as active a member as I want to be and the longer it is till we move the less likely a) you’ll even include me and b) then it’s getting to know each other from scratch again really...

I’m in 2 other bmb- fb groups, and im
    active on both (a mod in one), and while they had drama it wasn’t that big a deal. Both started around the end of the first tri, so to me this feels late. 

id rather share in a secret fb group than a public forum, names or not.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• @elsieisamoocow I am a DVC member.  We love it.  Getting the rooms with full kitchens and separate bedrooms is awesome for traveling with small children.
  • DH and I combined finances when we moved in together, and decided that I would stay home and no longer work. He had a good career, but was also a single father with things falling apart at home, so I took on the home management (other than discipline, because they were his kids) and he was able to focus on work. I took over all of the budgeting and finances, because I am frugal and good at that. He nickle and dimes himself and then is staring at an empty bank account wondering what happened. My big achievement was getting him (us) out of debt before our wedding! It was a LOT of debt, $350,000 including a house that he bought at the height of the bubble that he was totally upside down on. We each get an "allowance" from each paycheck that is our personal "fun money." We don't need permission or approval to spend our allowance on whatever we want. Other than the allowance we run any significant purchases by each other, just to make sure we have the money available in checking to cover it, and we aren't forgetting any upcoming expenses. Our financial health has improved dramatically since I moved in and took over, even with combining into one income. Even adding a family member to the household, his monthly expenses went down as well as his debt because we were able to reign things in together. This only works because I am financially responsible, and he wants to be, so he lets me take charge and follows my lead even though the paycheck has his name on it. It may appear to some that I am financially controlling, but the result is that we can afford everything we need, some of what we want, and his stress level has decreased exponentially. We still carry zero debt aside from our two mortgages which we have positive equity in, and we have savings and diversified retirement investments. He also has a career that earns us enough money, and we live in a low enough COL area to make this all possible, it would be much different under different circumstances. I can't imagine having a marriage or partnership where finances weren't discussed and agreed upon. That would be too stressful for me.
    Me:32
    DH:45
    DSD: 20
    DSS: 18
    Team green baby due: Aug 6th, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker