January 2018 Moms

Names

Re: Names

• @bainidhedub You are not the only one. About 3 months ago, I threw out some names, so did DH, we both were like "Yeah, those sound okay maybe..." and that was it. I'm not a procrastinator by nature, but i think this is going to be a game time decision (like, in the post-partum hospital room) haha. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @bainidhedub You're not the only one! Team Green here, so we get double the agony of name picking. Luckily, our girl's name was easily agreed upon. The boy's name is what we're having such a hard time with. We might have settled on a first name, but we don't know for sure. And we haven't even talked about middle names yet. Ugh.
    BFP #1 4.2.12, M/C 4.12.12 @ 6 weeks :: BFP #2 10.20.12, EDD 6.25.13 Pregnancy Ticker
  • @bainidhedub You're not the only one! And I'm single so I don't even have the excuse of not being able to agree with someone else -- I just can't make up my mind!!! I never thought this would be so difficult! My main contenders right now are Julia, Maxine, Naomi, Irene, and Holly. Middle name will be Paula after my mom (I wish I liked her name better so I could just make that the first name and be done with it!!). 
  • @bainidhedub our little girl is still nameless and we haven't had any recent name conversations. I think we'll be working on this in December. I've referred to LO using what I'd name her a few times and DH just shakes his head. I'm just hoping her hears it and starts thinking that's her name.

@aleedee I love the name Irene! It was my great grandma's name. I really like all the names on your list.
  • @bainidhedub Dylan was one of the first names that DH suggested for DS. It was an automatic veto from me as I’m a teacher and every Dylan I’ve ever had is a little monster. I would suggest making a list of names that you like and throwing some in that are his style that you could be ok with and let him pick and choose off that list. Good luck lady. The names conversation is always a tough one. If it makes you feel better we go into the hospital with a list of 3-5 names and pick which one fits best. That way I can kind of guide DH to what I want anyway. After watching me push DS out, DH would have let me name him anything I wanted :D
  • ollydollyollydolly member
    edited November 2017
    @bainidhedub we don't have a name for our little dude. I love the name Dylan it's on my list. Like @Cricket99 I'm also a teacher and I have a super hard time with names because I know a lot of little monsters. It seems like my DH either really likes unusual names (think Viggo) or quite common (David). At this point LO is going to name himself for his tenth birthday. 
    First timer! 
    BFP: May 6, 2017 EDD: Jan. 13, 2018
  • Yup count me in on the nameless baby boat! My mom and mil are driving me crazy over it. The 2 front runners for baby girl are Lily and Piper. Middle name will be Raine after a dear friend of mine who passed. 

@bainidhedub My DS is Dillon Patrick (so I obviously like it haha). We went for a less common spelling (but not way out there) for my husband’s Irish blood. 
  • @witchwai we’ve decided on Piper for this little one. Gets my vote :smile:
  • @jakobaby Such a cute name <3 I like it more than dh so we shall see! ;) 
  • Also thinking Nova, but stuck on a middle name
  • Ugh i was so set i was going to have a boy and i was going to name him Augustus James, now that i am having a little girl it is just so hard to decide on a name this is what i have so far.. 
    1. Catalina Violet 
    2. Violet Athena 
    3. Athena Violet 
    4. Violet (w/ a different middle name)
    5. Athena (w/ a different middle name)
    6. Nova (not sure to use as first or middle name) 

my bf also likes the name Juliana.. 

help with suggestions !
  • Cricket99Cricket99 member
    edited December 2017
    @lopezfranxo I love Athena Violet! Athena was on my list, but DH vetoed it. Sad day. I think it’s a strong feminine name with great history!

AFM: guys... I can’t even... I’ve gone full basic with the can’t even, but I really just can’t. I’m starting to eliminate names off my favorites list based on how annoying it will be when my MIL shrieks them at the baby. DS is Cedar and it always comes out of her mouth as Thedar in a really high pitched voice and is accompanied by a clap about 50% of the time. Ugh.... this woman does not have a lisp or speech impediment of any kind. She just physically can’t talk to animals or children in any other tone of voice. So, do I keep the names on my list and suck it up? We’ve been narrowed down to Daphne, Clementine (nn Lemon), and Sylvia for a while. I think the one that will bother me the most is Sylvia... granted we only see her 1-2 times a year, but it’s still frustrating after asking her to say words correctly and she still mispronounces everything in really awful baby talk. Sorry for the novel of rant. 

ETA: autocorrect can suck my nuts.
  • @Cricket99 I'm still 100% hoping for you to name LO Clementine/Lemon. Love it sooo much. Cedar and Clementine is the cutest! 

@lopezfranxo I'm also a fan of Athena Violet
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Cricket99 I totally agree with @maueraa07 - I just LOVE Clementine/Lemon!

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• @Cricket99 Cedar is like the best name ever. Clementine is so adorable too. Lemon as the nickname I'm not too sure about, but I'm sure in use it flows better than what I'm thinking. Really don't like Sylvia. Reminds me of Sylvia Brown the chain smoking "psychic" on Montel lol.
    @lopezfranxo Augustus would have been a beautiful boy name. I'm with Cricket, I love Athena Violet.
    Pregnancy TickerFor this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of him. Samuel 1:27 KJV
    DS born 1.25.18 (my rainbow) | Baby Girl Due 7.25.19

• @Cricket99 I have to agree with the other ladies.. I'm crushing so hard on Clementine!
  • Sweet baby Jesus. DH has called an audible and has changed LO middle name. It was Lorelai Deborah (middle name I hated) to Lorelai Ivalice (new middle name that I also hate). I mean, he likes it, it's pronounced Eva Leece and it's a world in his Final Fantasy game he plays and has always loved, from what he's told me. I did google it, so he's not lying. I said fine, you can have that name because really... I have called DS by his middle name, that I picked and I hate, once or twice so really... how often do I plan to call her by her middle name. Which is what I said about the middle name of Deborah. 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @supercoolstephy thank you for the phonetics because I was struggling with how you would pronounce that!  Yeah so the silver lining there is it is her middle name...so it will more than likely never used, but it's a bold choice!  I guess if you are splitting the naming rights to the child though you really can't nix his idea...Good thing you got the first name since he's clearly only picking names you hate  :D
  • @supercoolstephy There is actually a legit name with the same pronunciation - Ivelisse. I had a client with that name once.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• @supercoolstephy I don't hate it. But I MUCH prefer @missblaze 's spelling. All I see in your husband's spelling is Lice haha Sorry!  Also I'd kill DH for making a huge change so late in the game. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @maueraa07 thats what I told him. I just read Iva-Lice. I don't hate the pronunciation of it but the spelling is killing me. I know how particular I am about the spelling of Lorelai since she is being named after a specific character from a show that I would understand him not wanting to change the spelling of it. 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're having a boy and naming him Sullivan. If we ever have a girl, she'll be Fallon. 
  • Yeah...we still don't have a name! Poor kid. @supercoolstephy, could you convince him to just do Iva? Or even Eva? Or is he super set??
  • @supercoolstephy Solidarity! I had to cave and let DH have a middle name I HATE for this one because I desperately did not want it to be his first name... Trying to make the best of it!

@Cricket99 Love Clementine/Lemon! 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• @Cricket99 I'm torn on your names. I really love Daphne and Clementine! I totally understand your aversion to annoying baby talk voices! Sorry your MIL does that. I'm actually imagining her making faces while doing it and it's making me cringe. I once stopped dating a guy because he did a baby voice with a scrunched up face while talking about his dog. I pulled away when he went in to kiss me because I was just so turned off. Lol

@lopezfranxo I like Juliana personally but also like Athena Violet. What about Juliana Athena or Athena Juliana? Then you both have a name you like.

@supercoolstephy I was having trouble with the pronunciation. But I agree with others that at least it's a middle name so it won't be used that frequently. And she has a gorgeous first name. One of my friends had a Lorelai in September.
  • maueraa07 said:
    @Cricket99 I'm still 100% hoping for you to name LO Clementine/Lemon. Love it sooo much. Cedar and Clementine is the cutest! 

+1 to Cedar and Clementine  <3<3

Dh and I are having the weirdest MN debate. As backstory, DS' mn is same as his dad's mn, which is grandpa's first name. So DH got it in his head that we should give ds #2, my dad's name as a mn. I don't feel like this is my responsibility, that my bro can pass on the name. My dad's name is John, which I'm kinda "meh" about don't hate it... But it's also been used as a term for a toilet. My choice would be Jackson, which, as I've told dh a hundred times, originated as a nn of John, so it would still honor my dad. Plus it has double meaning for us because we've enjoyed some great family time in the Jackson hole area. 

I'm not worried about working it out, I just can't believe I'm the one arguing against using my dad's name.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• @mindaa I think your reasons in favor of Jackson are enough, especially if you like the sound/flow better with the first name. Like you said, John is solid but not super exciting if you're not into the reasoning.
    My MN is the same as my mom's MN and my grandma's first name. I was really relieved when one of my cousins used it for his daughter while I was in college, because it got me off the hook for *having* to use it if I ever had a girl.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• @kelk5 there are definitely faces
    involved and it is totally cringe worthy. 

@mindaa DS’s middle name is John after DH’s grandpa, who he was really close with. I didn’t think I would like it at first, but I always call DS by his first and middle together because it flows so well. It definitely grew on me. 
  • @mindaa we are considering John or I’ve decided it would likely be Jonathan. My husband has asked to use John after his grandfather who lives up the street from us. We see him often. Overall we like him, my hangup about using the name is my Hs Grandma is always “John! John! John!” And when I think of the name, I hear her voice fussing at him. I have no advice, just a bit of commiseration. We may name him Jonathan William and call him Will. I just can’t decide! 
  • @bainidhedub I love your sisters. My sister and I have had pretty similar conversations where name suggestions have been along the lines of: Stapler, Whistle, Traffic Cone, Titty Sprinkles McGee, Glitter, Raincloud.

Some of our conversations are ridiculous. 
  • @EmilyLove25 love it! We get so many compliments on the name Ellis. You won't regret it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @EmilyLove25 I love it!! And it goes great with your DD's name :)
  • @EmilyLove25, I LOVE the name Ellis, and tried to get DH on board with it, but he wouldn't budge! We're still nameless over here...
  • @bainidhedub Your sisters sound hilarious! 

We've had our names for a girl picked out for years. It's been getting my side of the family to stick to it that has been a struggle. Her name is to be Kylora Irene. My dad thinks it is too odd and that she'll be made fun of. I made the mistake of telling him that he can call her Kit (her initials). Well, my middle sister heard and started referring to her all over social media as that and now my mother wants to be able to call her Kit too now that we brought down the hammer and told them not to refer to her as Kit online. I just don't want everyone we know to disregard the name we chose because my family can't get behind her name. 

Hubby feels that once she's here, it'll calm down and they'll understand that we're not going to call her a nickname yet (nickname is to be Kyla when she's older). I don't think my sisters understand that because our first names are not what we go by. We go by our nicknames and only answer to our first names when we're in trouble or doing anything involving legal work that requires us to sign with them. Either way, that's my name story!
  • @cyanope Do you have any contenders? For some reason, I leaned heavily toward E names. DD is incidentally an "E" name... but I like soft starting masculine names, so that helped wean down my list. 

@schaze Thank you! And get this: again, not deliberate, but my dog's name, who I had years before DD, is Elsie... so it is Elsie, Emily, and Ellis. I'm signing all cards "Love, Nancy, Max and E^3"
    *TW*

• @EmilyLove25, we're leaning towards Anderson (and kind of always have been), but nothing is set in stone. It's killing me because DD was named before we even conceived. Poor kid. He'll get a name eventually! 
  • @cyanope I love love Anderson! 
    *TW*