July 2018 Moms

Names?!?

Let's discuss possible names here!

Re: Names?!?

• Atom Davis for a boy, for sure. I also don't think its a boy, but this was the name picked out when we were pregnant last time. Yes, I know it is a bit odd. But we picked it out over 7 years ago, so it has grown on us like a fungus. It is a popular name in california and most people won't know it is even different when they hear it.

Girl name is Halley(pronounced like Hallie) Fae. We wanted to do a family middle name but all our family names sound horrible with this name. I thought maybe Halley Alice, but it would make for some weird initials, like HAM. DH likes the Faye spelling better, but I like Fae because its more like a fairy and since there is a Y in her first name it breaks it up.
  • Oh man. Picking a name was so tough last time. Once we knew it was a boy, we came up with a few we liked but I could NOT commit until I saw him. The first time I saw him, I immediately knew what his name was, and H agreed. Before we knew the sex, our girl name was Charlotte Rose. I think if it's a girl this time, Charlotte will be on the short list, but we'd probably pick a different middle name. If it's a boy again, we're screwed, because boy names are so hard for us to agree on. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @zande2016 I really enjoyed calling the baby by both names during the pregnancy, since I'm team green and then by the time the baby arrived the name made sense.
  • @Katm89 it's funny, we actually called my son one name that we thought was our favorite for over half the pregnancy, but then when he was born he didn't look like that name at all. Now I can't imagine that being his name. 
  • We have a couple picked out, the middle names for each sex are already determined. Girl: Ann (My late Grandma's middle name) , Boy: Edmund (family name for H)

Here's my crazy (what I find cute idea) so our names start and end the alphabet, so I said we should pick either an M or N name for our babies. We have several M names figured out for girl, and both for a boy. H isn't a fan of any of the girl N names we have found. 

For boys we like Macklyn (Mac for short), Mason, and Nigel
    For girls we like Makayla and Mila

Of course these will probably change as time goes on, and we look into other names. So we will see!
    Me: 34 DH: 33
    DD: 07/19/18
    EDD: 06/22/22
  • @bdesterhouse I figure if our kid hates his name he can go by Davis. I'm not a fan of Adam. Halley is after Sir Edmund Halley, so that's why it is spelled that way.
  • ajsanders-2  I love Mila! Would you pronounce it like Mila Kunis? I wanted that, but our friends daughter is Myla (my-la) and my husband said they are too close and similar. :( Definetely a good pick though! I love the nick name Mac!

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Me and DH both have names that start with “C” and the name we like (works for both sexes) also starts with a C. Is it weird though to be one of those families with the same first initial (and actually first and last initials??) also makes me think about if we have a second kid and don’t have another C name that we like-will they feel excluded somehow? These are my insane thoughts! 
  • Katm89 said:
    @bdesterhouse I figure if our kid hates his name he can go by Davis. I'm not a fan of Adam. Halley is after Sir Edmund Halley, so that's why it is spelled that way.
    That makes sense, and I didn't mean any disrespect by my opinion. I hope you know that.

• @bdesterhouse No offense taken! I have to have thick skin with odd baby names. My mother actually turned to me right after our daughter was born and said she was a girl because God did not approved of "Atom" lol
  • Katm89 said:
    @bdesterhouse No offense taken! I have to have thick skin with odd baby names. My mother actually turned to me right after our daughter was born and said she was a girl because God did not approved of "Atom" lol
    Hahaha yes, yes God made her a girl to spite the name you chose.  :D

• @devilcat139 I don't think those are odd thoughts at all! Originally we wanted Atom Theodore, but his initials would be ATM and since he might be teased for Atom we figured we should make sure there was nothing else to rag on him for. We also carried with the science theme for all 3 names. Halley is after the comet and Rhea( our DD) is a moon of saturn.
  • @bdesterhouse with all the hormones raging through my body I was like "da fuck did she say to me?"
  • @Katm89 love the science theme! DH is already all in on a space themed nursery (regardless of gender) :)
  • @devilcat139 Our daughter was an Astronaut for Halloween and we have some space things in the nursery
  • I am loving everyone's name so far! 
  • @celainev I love Petra, Lucy and Ruth!
  • Some names I love but dh hates pr we can't use are: Sage, Freya, Iris, Desdemona, Ayla, Maeve and Mabel.
  • Oh and we both liked Ada but my SIL was going to use the name if she had a girl and was sad to hear she was having all boys. I feel like it would have been hurtful to use it.
  • Love everyone's name choices so far!  For a boy, right now we're leaning towards Carter, after Dr. Carter from the show ER (if anyone remembers that show).  I've had that picked out since I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, so since 2005!!  For a girl, I'm digging "H" names right now for some reason....some of our favs so far are Hadleigh, Harlowe and Harper.  Girl names are so much harder for me!  I'm not even digging into middle names until we find out for sure whether this little bean is a girl or a boy.
  • we didn't find out what we were having with DS (won't with this one either) and he wasn't named until after I delivered him because we couldn't decide. We had a girl name we agreed on pretty immediately, Kenzie Ann. Ann is a family name on both sides. I really wanted Makenzie but DH hated it yet he loved Kenzie. I left it alone lol. This is still a top choice but may think of a few others as well just in case.

if this is another boy who knows..I like Connor but my SIL has said numerous times that will be their sons name if and when they have one so I don't want to be that person! Besides that we will probably choose last minute if it's a boy.
  • @CareBear622 I love Harlow so much. Never seen it with an e at the end
  • @Katm89 - That is a tough decision, I know I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings.
  • I have a full page of notes on my phone of names I love, but DH is so picky. We didn't pick DS name until 8mo. 
    Im hoping for a girl this time- boy names are so hard! I really like Calliope, Hayden, Isla, Charlotte. Charlotte used to be my #1 but it's become so common. 
    For a boy I like Nolan, Rowan, Wesley, but I'm not really set on any. 
  • Katm89 said:
    Atom Davis for a boy, for sure. I also don't think its a boy, but this was the name picked out when we were pregnant last time. Yes, I know it is a bit odd. But we picked it out over 7 years ago, so it has grown on us like a fungus. It is a popular name in california and most people won't know it is even different when they hear it.

Girl name is Halley(pronounced like Hallie) Fae. We wanted to do a family middle name but all our family names sound horrible with this name. I thought maybe Halley Alice, but it would make for some weird initials, like HAM. DH likes the Faye spelling better, but I like Fae because its more like a fairy and since there is a Y in her first name it breaks it up.
    Love the names, but really think about the spelling. My first name is Bryana, and I constantly give my mom grief about having to spell it differently than typical Brianna's or Breonna's. It's never spelled right by coworkers or when I get mail from people. It's frustrating at times. Especially growing up having a difficult last name for people to pronounce. Only my two cents from someone with a different spelling than the typical. Kiddo is the one who will have to live with it, not you. 

My first son is Wyatt, our angel daughter is Kali (her dad spelled it, I wanted Cali - so people would pronounce it correctly), and our angel son is Jack. 

I really like the name Cole for a boy, we've had it picked out since we started trying again last year. My boss had a baby a few months ago and didn't learn what she was having and named her son Cole. We never talked names so I couldn't be upset that it was taken, so I am on the fence if we will use it. We cannot agree on a girl name, if we have a girl she may remain nameless up until it's time to leave the hospital as my husband vetos all the names I like. 

We probably won't decide to find out baby's sex until we are in the ultrasound room. We are both on the fence if we want to know or keep it a surprise. Dan wont even entertain names till we know a sex typically. I got him on a good day when we came up with Cole. 
    My November 16 baby is Cole Edward! DH and I fell in love as soon as someone suggested it but we didn’t commit until he was here. 

Lab Mom (x2): Sept/Oct 2014 
    Married: August 2015
    DS: Nov 2016 (36w)
    Baby H #2: July2018 (Team Pink!)

• So, it’s funny, with our first (Nov16 boy) we could not commit. We ended up with Cole Edward after delivery. But we knew the entire time what we would name our second (most likely last) baby. 

So unless one of us changes our minds throughout this pregnancy, Baby H #2 will be Cameron James for a boy or Cameron Jean for a girl. 

Lab Mom (x2): Sept/Oct 2014 
    Married: August 2015
    DS: Nov 2016 (36w)
    Baby H #2: July2018 (Team Pink!)

• @djh513 that's cute that you can call your baby by a name immediately.
  • We have the name Emilia on LOCK DOWN if it’s a girl (nickname will be Mia). DS’s name starts with an E too, we didn’t mean for it to happen but it’s happening and we’re rolling with it.

But in my gut, I feel like I’m destined to be a boy mom so we’re going to really have to think about a boy name since I’m fresh out of boy names that me and DH can agree on.
  • hillbillywifehillbillywife member
    edited November 2017
    Huh, I didn’t even realize I could think about names lol. This whole thing doesn’t seem real yet. 

With my first we knew what his name was right away, and everyone knew what it was. I don’t even remember how I came up with it. 

My second was soooo much harder. We had almost decided on a name and DH was happy, but then I decided it wasn’t right and ticked him off lol. I was so sick of searching for a name by the time we picked hers that I didnfj’t want anyone to know what it was. And THEN it inadvertently ended up being my BFF’s beloved (secret) holy grail 1st choice girl name. She is a little weird about it even today, 2.5 years later lol. 

Hopefully baby name 3 isn’t even harder than baby name 2.

edited to fix some glitches and spelling 
  • @devilcat139 DH, DS and I are all Ms (with an M last name) so we are looking for another M name this pregnancy. It started because long before I met DH, I wanted Maeve for a girl. When we found out we were having a boy, DH said we still needed an M name in case the next was a girl so we didn't end up being Matt, Maggie, Maeve and Kevin. 

If this one is a girl, she'll be Maeve Kathleen (originally I wanted Eileen for my mom, but DH's mom passed away in August, her name was Kathleen).

We're undecided on a boy. Michael is out because that's my father's name and I have no relationship with him anymore. DH doesn't want a junior. We're thinking Mason, but not sure yet.  Plenty of time to decide! 
  • Me and DH both have names that start with “C” and the name we like (works for both sexes) also starts with a C. Is it weird though to be one of those families with the same first initial (and actually first and last initials??) also makes me think about if we have a second kid and don’t have another C name that we like-will they feel excluded somehow? These are my insane thoughts! 
    My uncle has 4 kids and all of their names start with a B. I don't think it's weird, but In my opinion I would feel excluded if I were the only child that follow the pattern. If you had two children I don't know if the second would feel that way, maybe just the 3rd.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • gspmom21 said:
    Me and DH both have names that start with “C” and the name we like (works for both sexes) also starts with a C. Is it weird though to be one of those families with the same first initial (and actually first and last initials??) also makes me think about if we have a second kid and don’t have another C name that we like-will they feel excluded somehow? These are my insane thoughts! 
    My uncle has 4 kids and all of their names start with a B. I don't think it's weird, but In my opinion I would feel excluded if I were the only child that follow the pattern. If you had two children I don't know if the second would feel that way, maybe just the 3rd.
    I'm the youngest of 4. My two oldest siblings have the same first initial, but my other sibling and I both have different initials (from each other and from the oldest two). I don't think it's weird but I grew up with it so. I do think if my 3rd sibling had the same initial as the other two, I might have felt left out when I was little. Then again, being the youngest, I always felt left out haha. 
  • DH wants "Louis" (family traditionish) as a middle name as a boy, so we are leaning towards Carter Louis.

Boy: Tucker, Carter, Cooper

Girl: Right now, I LOVE Kate. Amelia, Blake, Mia, but DH doesn't really like Mia. Nothing else has really jumped out at me.

I think we're both hoping for a boy the first time around so we've been thinking boy more than girl.

@Carebear622 we're thinking about Carter too!!

@ajsanders-2 I love Mila and I think Macklyn is cute too!

@katm89 I think Atom is different, but nice. My nephew's name is Lennox, so I never shut down science type names. Haha

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ajsanders-2 Haha, we love Parks and Rec, and Macklyn is better than Bert!

That's slightly cooler than where "Carter" came from. We recently started being huge fans of "Fixer Upper" (Chip and Joanna Gaines) DH is reading Chip's book and his middle name is Carter. After hearing it he has been stuck on it.

DH actually has always loved Shaw and of course Louis as the middle name. I'm not sure where he got it from but that's been the name he's liked for years until recently.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Katm89 I was being fancy throwing that "e" on the end...not sure if dh will go for that or not.
    @ajsanders-2 I love where Macklyn came from!!  You totally have to use that!!!
    @gspmom21 I don't think anything's cooler than Fixer Upper!