July 2017 Moms

Big Dumb Questions Thread

Re: Big Dumb Questions Thread

• @virginiaunicorn11 and @MamaRN13  thanks for the clarification on that advice! 
  • @crzyforbabies I have that one and leave the changing table attached while she sleeps overnight. There's nothing touching the bassinet since it clicks in at the top (vs having poles/feet that go down to the basinet) so it seemed ok to me. Of course the manual will say not too just to cover themselves but I honestly don't see any risk. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • If it in anyway lessens air flow I can see people being concerned about sids I think. 
  • XathXath member
    @kmelton811 Mine was more of a leak.  I'd been contracting on and off for a while, but nothing increased once the water broke. 

I'm starting to think that because mine was such a small leak that it broke long before I noticed it.  My OB said that the leak was all the way at the top of the sac and so I only had a tiny trickle come out here and there. Molly was born 5 hours after we confirmed the water broke, but since she ended up with infections right after birth I'm thinking it must have broken before without me noticing.

Also worth noticing that my water broke/trickled when I wasn't dialated at all.  So that's possible too.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @crzyforbabies We have a similar one and let her nap on the uncovered side during the day, but I agree with rae1-3, I don't see any risk when they are this small, immobile, and not sleeping very long anyway. The changing table is elevated and secure. 
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • For those whose labors started with contractions, when did you know they were the real deal? Could you tell from the beginning? Did it take a while to be able to distinguish between them and Braxton Hicks? I have, of course, read about the differences, but wondered when it becomes obvious.
  • For those whose labors started with contractions, when did you know they were the real deal? Could you tell from the beginning? Did it take a while to be able to distinguish between them and Braxton Hicks? I have, of course, read about the differences, but wondered when it becomes obvious.
    Hi, just my experience but my Braxton hicks slowly turned into more painful contractions. They then became more regular and at some point i couldn't talk through them. That was when I knew I was in some sort of labor. 

Id suggest timing your contractions just for posterity and determine when you want to go in to the hospital! 

Good luck! 
  • Thanks @satsumasandlemons! That is good to know. I was wondering if the people that accomplish x, y, & Z while laboring at home like knew the whole time that it was labor or were being prepared just case. 
  • @WeddingNotes13 My BH were more uncomfortable than painful, sometimes sharp for just a second and sometimes barely noticeable, and generally just on the front. Real contractions were full belly with definite back pain and more regular pattern. Agree with the above suggestion to time them and rate intensity. 
  • @optbaby2017 good to know! We're you able to distinguish those differences fairly early on? I certainly will be timing when I suspect the real deal.
  • @WeddingNotes13 I was able to tell pretty early on that these were different from the BH I'd been having. On the other hand, my labor also started with prodromal patterns (aka "false labor" where I was having real contractions in measurable time, but then they slowed and lightened up) for about 36hrs before starting again to the longer-stronger-closer pattern of "real" labor. So real contractions don't always mean it's go time. Good luck! 
  • Thanks @optbaby2017!  I was not aware that real contractions might do that. It is also helpful to know that you could tell a difference early on. 
  • CPR79CPR79 member
    Ok STMs - a TMI question for you: I currently have a very inflamed/painful hemorrhoid.  How much worse will it get/how much will it hurt during labor?  Or compared to contractions and everything else is it really an afterthought?  My concern is that laying on my back right now is not comfortable.  I'm 39+2 so I'm guessing this hemorrhoid will still be around when I give birth.  
  • @CPR79 When I've had inflamed hemorrhoids, they've been incredibly painful for about 3 days and then they're more annoying than anything else. I went into both labors with hemorrhoids, and they didn't seem to make labor any worse (though I had epidurals). What's awful is dealing with them during recovery from labor. Labor aggravated mine more the second time around, and they're making bowel movements more uncomfortable than they already are. The hospital will likely give you hemorrhoid cream--use it generously, along with Tucks pads. Hemorrhoids are a beast. I hope yours clear up!
  • ljd2010 said:
    @CPR79 When I've had inflamed hemorrhoids, they've been incredibly painful for about 3 days and then they're more annoying than anything else. I went into both labors with hemorrhoids, and they didn't seem to make labor any worse (though I had epidurals). What's awful is dealing with them during recovery from labor. Labor aggravated mine more the second time around, and they're making bowel movements more uncomfortable than they already are. The hospital will likely give you hemorrhoid cream--use it generously, along with Tucks pads. Hemorrhoids are a beast. I hope yours clear up!
    Pretty much exactly sums up my experience with them! 
  • CPR79 said:
    Ok STMs - a TMI question for you: I currently have a very inflamed/painful hemorrhoid.  How much worse will it get/how much will it hurt during labor?  Or compared to contractions and everything else is it really an afterthought?  My concern is that laying on my back right now is not comfortable.  I'm 39+2 so I'm guessing this hemorrhoid will still be around when I give birth.  
    TMI answer:
    Hemorrhoids are by far my largest post-partum issue (noting I had no stitches and a very easy labor and delivery this time). They re-emerged during pushing (I could feel them, and it was pretty uncomfortable). Mine were atrocious but healed within a week of delivery... except for one that became thrombosed. It is like a very hard marble and is still very uncomfortable 3 weeks post-partum but seems finally to be getting better. At my 6 week check up, if it doesn't heal by then, I will address it surgically.
    My suggestion is to order a donut pillow now and do everything you can/are told to heal them. 
  • We have been having sleeping issues, and I wonder if I could get some advice. Baby sleeps like a champ, but only if someone is holding her. As soon as we put her in a swing or crib, she wakes up and starts crying. This means that one of us has to be up with her all night long; we have been trading 2 hour shifts. We have been trying to put her in her crib for short bits at a time, and it seems to be working. The first night home, we could not put her down at all, then we could for a couple minutes at a time, then 10-15. Last night, she slept next to me for a good 2 hours. My husband and I were able to sleep in then same bed together for the first time in a week, and we almost cried in relief. Once she woke up to feed, she wouldn't go back to sleep in the crib and one of us was up for the rest of the night, but we still consider it a win.

Does anyone else have/ has had this problem? Is there anything else we can be doing? I am breastfeeding, and our LC doesn't want us to introduce a paci for a few more weeks, but I am super tempted.
  • @NutellaToast IMO lactation consultants, by and large, live in perfect worlds and not in this real life.  My DS was given a pacifier during his circumcision without my OK, but no way would I still be waiting for "permission" from a random LC, least of all one of the terrible ones in my hospital who failed to see his lip and tongue tie and discouraged even use of a nipple shield, just because that's their "standard" line.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • @NutellaToast- my son is the same way. Absolutely will not sleep in his packnp, crib or swing. We had a little bassinet with our pack n play called the cuddle cove, and it's the only thing he'll sleep in. I offered a Pacifer in desperation before I discovered this and he actually wouldn't take it.  

I hope you find something that works- constantly holding him quickly got exhausting.
  • @NutellaToast with both my kids I introduced pacifiers and bottles within the first week and neither had an issue breastfeeding.  
    I second @AdaByron, if you aren't swaddling start now and make sure it's tight! 
  • With my first, he needed to feel cuddled to sleep. I ended up wrapping him in a somewhat heavy blanket and sticking him in the Boppy to sleep for a few weeks. Just swaddling was not enough. We also had a little reclining baby seat thing that he slept well in if wrapped up. I have heard Rock N Plays are great, but did not have one. He hated the swing for a few months. I think that it was too big and open. I was scared to break the safe sleep rules, but eventually hit the point that I had to do something to sleep. 
  • https://dream-baby-shop.myshopify.com/products/infant-to-toddler-rocker-pink?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=32470454736

This is the seat that he liked. As a new born, I wrapped him up and placed him in it with the kickstand out so that it did not.move. Again, not following the full safety guidelines, but was the choice that I felt was best at the time.
  • I'm 100% in the happiest baby on the block camp. The 5 S's work wonders when she's crying and we've tried everything else from food to diaper changes. It's like baby magic.
  • Thanks for all of the advice, ladies! I feel like there are so many rules about everything that it is really hard to do anything. I was actually told upon discharge *not* to swaddle unless one of us was going to be watching her at all times. I have already broken the rules by sleeping on the couch with her on my chest, and I felt so guilty about it when I woke up that I cried. I will try swaddling again, though I struggle to get it very tight. This mommy needs some practice. I definitely think that I am ready to introduce a paci soon, though. She has a tendency to fall asleep with my nipple still in her mouth, so I think it is a comfort thing. Hopefully a paci will help. Thanks again! Send good thoughts for me!
  • Thanks for all of the advice, ladies! I feel like there are so many rules about everything that it is really hard to do anything. I was actually told upon discharge *not* to swaddle unless one of us was going to be watching her at all times. I have already broken the rules by sleeping on the couch with her on my chest, and I felt so guilty about it when I woke up that I cried. I will try swaddling again, though I struggle to get it very tight. This mommy needs some practice. I definitely think that I am ready to introduce a paci soon, though. She has a tendency to fall asleep with my nipple still in her mouth, so I think it is a comfort thing. Hopefully a paci will help. Thanks again! Send good thoughts for me!
    I'm sure they meant don't swaddle with a blanket. Which I agree with if you can't get it tight enough. 

+1 for the Halo swaddle sleep sacks, or any other velcro swaddle. 
  • We tried swaddling our first born and she wouldn't have any of that! Hands above the head like her mommy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @NutellaToast My hospital also only does "loose swaddling." They claim tight swaddling is now a sids risk. I don't know how one keeps up with all the ways we could kill our kid!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Both of my kids hated being swaddles with their arms in. (So weird to say "both of my kids"!) We have great success with both the bigger halo sleep sacks and the smaller, tighter swaddle me sacks. We introduced the soothie pacifier (green one you can stick your finger in) in the hospital because he wanted to comfort nurse all night long and that's what our hospital gave us. Didn't have any affect on his latch. DS does not sleep well at all if cold so he sleeps in a full sleeper, sleep sack, receiving blanket over his torso and legs, as well as a hat. Then he sleeps like the dead. Good luck!
  • stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for all of the advice, ladies! I feel like there are so many rules about everything that it is really hard to do anything. I was actually told upon discharge *not* to swaddle unless one of us was going to be watching her at all times. I have already broken the rules by sleeping on the couch with her on my chest, and I felt so guilty about it when I woke up that I cried. I will try swaddling again, though I struggle to get it very tight. This mommy needs some practice. I definitely think that I am ready to introduce a paci soon, though. She has a tendency to fall asleep with my nipple still in her mouth, so I think it is a comfort thing. Hopefully a paci will help. Thanks again! Send good thoughts for me!
    This.
    So. Much. This.

I stopped listening to everything because it got so overwhelming and just did what was right for us. For the first week I co-slept a LOT because LO wouldn't go into her bassinet. Even still, sometimes after her last wee-hours-of-the-morning feed we'll co-sleep/cuddle. I gave a pacifier the first day because she was fussy, presumably from her swollen head from the vacuum (nurse actually recommended it which she said she doesn't normally but in the end it helped) It didn't affect our BF journey. LO also loves lying on her side. I always put her on her back but I won't move her if she ends up on her side. I fall asleep with her on my chest (bed, couch etc.) all the time.  I'm not sure about you but I'm a light sleeper and am always aware of her presence. You know you and your baby and need to do what is right for you guys which isn't always going to follow all the rules. Just be safe... and you'll be okay :) 

That said, as I said, LO wouldn't go in her bassinet (she too would fuss and cry) so I vacated our room and slept in the spare room for about a week. I put LO's bassinet IN the bed with me. I'd feed, put her down and spend sometimes hours with my hand on her or just keeping her pacifier in her mouth. I had tried swaddling (she hates it), white noise, lullabies, warming her bassinet before putting her down etc. Nothing was working so that's when I decided to do that. Anyways... it worked in the end. We finally got back into our room with DH last night. She was a bit fussy but overall it was a good night.

I use an Ergococoon sleep sac basically just to add an extra layer of warmth but I keep her arms out because she hates having them in. 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie