July 2017 Moms

Big Dumb Questions Thread

Re: Big Dumb Questions Thread

• @BusyZee - I never used mittens either.  And it wasn't an issue.  I think its another situation where you can wait and see if you need them.

@Knottieb1e39a78370bdee2 - I'm sorry to hear you are having such anxiety.  I agree with the PPs, you should definitely talk to your doctor about all these fears.  But also I know there are a LOT of mommies in this board who have been through c-sections who would love to offer our support and try to answer any questions you my have.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • plumpousplumpous member
    edited June 2017
    Has anyone taken their kids to see an ultrasound? DD is about 20 months now, and she can understand a few concepts, and I want to prepare her for the baby. I have a "waiting for baby" book, and I keep pointing to it and telling her. But DH and I saw another baby book in which they illustrated a young child looking at the ultrasound with his parents. I personally feel like it's really hard to grasp anything from that, but I have an appointment in 2 weeks, so I'm considering taking DD. Is this a good idea?
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @plumpous - I have not taken my kids to see an ultrasound, mostly because the locations I go are very stingy about who they let in to the room.  But I brought them home their own copies of the ultrasound photos and they could not have cared less.  They are 4 and 5 and understand that they are getting a new brother or sister and are super excited. But the ultrasound did not look like a baby to them. I'm not sure that your 20 month old would understand it for that reason either, BUT seeing the baby move in real time would probably be better than just the still shot I showed my girls.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Re: ultrasounds... At my 36-week scan, DH and I could barely interpret some of the stuff we were looking at (Are those her eyes? What's wrong with them? Oh, they're just eye sockets? Cuuuute...). I doubt a child would get much from it unless they are really interested in anatomy. Our babies are just so big at this point that the ultrasound doesn't exactly return a view of the baby as something that looks like a baby. Our 12-week scan images are MUCH cuter and more intelligible.
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • oheliza44oheliza44 member
    edited June 2017
    Anyone have an Ubbi diaper pale? I am wondering how necessary the special bags are vs. using a regular trash bag? I read reviews on Amazon and it seems like the special bags aren't necessary. Do they work better or provide any additional functionality or odor control?

Edit for typo.
  • @oheliza44 I've been told by mums that there is no difference, you could use any bags that you want,(that fit) it's the pail itself that will contain the smell.
     Btw pottery barn was selling some colours for 45 dollars last weekend but I wasn't able to order(forgot to check out ,boo!) il be waiting for their next sale (July 4th maybe)? 
  • JmUDuuuukes 07 that's super cute
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @oheliza44 we use regular garbage bags.  It's the main reason we went with the ubbi pail this time around. I want to be free of the diaper genie refills.
  • My neighbor gave us their old Boppy Lounger. Wondering if anyone has advice/experience on washing? (yes, I read the tag, and it's kind of similar to washing a pillow, but several of you have had magic words on laundering so I thought I would ask anyway) 
  • My almost 4 year old thought it was cool and got to "help" my 19 month old was scared and sat with my Mom the whole time. I think the whole mommy laying down and in a doctor office scared her. 
  • @oheliza44 we use regular garbage bags.  It's the main reason we went with the ubbi pail this time around. I want to be free of the diaper genie refills.
    +1
  • @BusyZee I never used mittens on DD either. She would flip her shit if she couldn't feel her face with her hands. So we learned quickly to not use mittens. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • @BusyZee camp no mittens here too! A lot of NB long sleeve shirts and material that folds over to cover their hands too. 

@plumpous We took dd (just turned 2 a few days ago) to the 20 week a/s and the 3D u/s. She did great while there but didn't comprehend a lot. She also attends all of my appointments with me. She thinks her brother is talking to her each time we listen to the heart beat. 

• @oheliza44  I got an Ubbi pail precisely so I wouldn't have to buy proprietary bags.  My friend recommended it to me.  She also suggested that I drill a hole in the bottom to make removal of the bag easier.  Apparently, there is a bit of suction that makes it hard to pull the bag out, but if you drill a hole in the bottom, it allows air to flow through, removing the suction.  She said because the hole is on the bottom, it doesn't let odor out.

Question for you ladies: We got a baby mirror to put in the back seat so the baby could see us, and we would see the baby.  At our car seat check yesterday, the lady told us the baby mirrors are unsafe because they can act as projectiles in the event of an accident, and also they are a distraction to the person driving.  Just wondering if other people have received the same warning.  I am leaning towards returning the mirror.
  • @Twinkiedoll Yep, we were told at our childcare class and by the car seat inspector not to use a mirror (with the caveat that every parent has to make their own decisions based on what works for them, etc)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Twinkiedoll I would bet they have to say that, for liability reasons. I mean realistically, anything not part of the initial manufacturing can be a projectile hazards (an ink pen, tube of lip gloss, snow scraper, etc.). That argument against the mirror sounds like BS to me.

The distraction argument, I can see that - but I think it would be more distracting for me to be worried about my baby while driving if I CAN'T take a quick look in the mirror, personally. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @rae1-3 For the projectile argument, the car seat inspector told us that because the mirror normally goes on the headrest and pointed towards the car seat, if the car gets hit from behind or comes to a sudden stop, the mirror may fly off, directly into the car seat. 

She also recommended that we don't use the Latch system if we can do the seatbelt system.  Since the Latch system is rated to hold only 65 lbs, and the seatbelt system is rated to hold 300 lbs.  For our car, the seatbelt way is actually easier because the Latch hooks are hard to get to, so that worked out for us.
  • For those that have a MamaRoo, how necessary is the infant insert? Can you use rolled swaddles to protect the neck instead?
  • @Twinkiedoll We were also told that, but I'm still planning to use it. I haven't installed mine yet, but there is definitely at least 1 strap, its not like just propped there or something, so I think it we were hit with that kind of force, we Would have much bigger problems than a 1 lb mirror.  I don't even think they are actual glass...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • I'm not sure I could have done it without the mirror to be able to see DS. I understand the issue it poses but in my opinion there are so many other things to worry about in an accident like the car window shattering or something like that. DS was a happy spitter and occasionally he would cough and I was always so afraid he'd choke on spit up or something so I would have been pulling over CONSTANTLY to check on him if I didn't have that mirror. And it's more and more useful as he gets older. 
  • +1 on having the mirror. We have one on the headrest and I'm not worried about it. That thing is so tight on there, I can't even get a finger under the straps. I also like the idea of being able to peek back and check on him. 
  • @oheliza44 I returned our infant insert based on other moms' recommendations that it wasn't necessary and that rolling up a thin blanket or swaddle would work just as well. 
  • Ditto what most have said about the mirror. I have had to take defensive driving and carseat safety classes for work almost every year for the past 20+ years. They both always have a speech about projectiles, even going so far as to advise that purses are kept in the trunk and seat belts that don't retract are buckled at all times. Sorry, but just not practical (and downright impossible with an suv). I'll make sure our mirror is strapped tight and risk it. 
  • Any suggestions on a mirror that doesn't have an annoying brand name written on it? 
  • @oheliza44 we never used a newborn insert.  It reclined enough that his head was fine but rolled swaddles would be fine if needed.   
  • @optbaby2017 purses in the trunk?! What happens if you get pulled over? "Uh sorry officer let me climb into the trunk real quick to grab my wallet" :lol:
  • @kat0607 Like I said, completely impractical.

@BusyZee We got this one off Amazon.  It has a small logo on the front, but not bad.  Haven't installed it yet, but it gets good reviews and looks to be at least as nice as the ones that are twice the cost at Target.
  • @oheliza44 I didn't find the insert to be a necessity, but it gave me peace of mind in a new phase of adulting. DD hated the mommaroo and I returned it. I still have the insert, if you would like it I can send it to you!
  • anyone else panicking that they read a ton about being pregnant but nothing about babies!? I realize I know all about being pregnant and now I know very little about babies! I ordered 2 books about newborns and the first year and am trying to read as much as I can before he gets here. 

My dumb question, do you have to put diaper rash cream on with every diaper or just when a rash is present? I have a huge tub of Butt Paste and Desitin that was gifted to me. 
    ME: 28 DH: 27
    Started Dating: 10/20/2006
     Married: 10/20/2013
    MMC @ 8w 12/15
    MC @ 5w 03/16
    ALEXANDER JAMES DUE JULY 15th!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @RubyRedPirate Only put diaper cream on when a rash is present. I never really needed it until dd started eating solids. 
  • @RubyRedPirate Same, except I didn't really read about being pregnant either, other than this app! Is there a similar baby app??
    For example, I was just in Target, and in the baby care aisle, I thought hmm, I never hear anything about baby powder anymore? Do I need that? So I texted my sister if I need powder or vaseline, and she said definitely on the vaseline for his circumcision - Nobody told me that! I mean, I went to hippie prep classes, where I was the devil for circumcising, but still...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • @RubyRedPirate I definitely had an "Omg, I know nothing, " pseudo panic attack moment, Googling at 2am whether you are supposed to burp a baby after breastfeeding (some need it, a lot don't).
  • @RubyRedPirate I had a "holy crap I can't remember what it's like to have a newborn" realization recently and totally freaked myself out. I just have to remember, even more so that with pregnancy, every baby is different. What worked for DS might not work for this LO and I have to learn to go with the flow and find out what is best for her!

With DS I did all the reading (because I like to feel like it had some control!). Eventually, you take some words from this book, some words from other moms advice, and mostly use what works when you are in survival mode. As long as you aren't hurting LO, you will be just fine! 
  • I never read a single book with either pregnancy or the first two years of dd's life. I literally go for the "wing it & pray" method. I always ask other parents with kids similar in age too. It's amazing how quickly you forget things.