June 2017 Moms
Options

The big stupid questions thread

Re: The big stupid questions thread

• Options
    Thanks, Ladies! I was worried about depression. It's easy for me to stay in bed because of my fibro, but at 2 or 3 days I start to spiral. I live just outside the city and have a big deck but not a big yard, so we can do some porch sitting, but maybe we will plan an easy outing after a week, for sanity's sake. I have a friend down the street who has a giant yard and even just sitting there might be nice. It would also be great if I can plan some kind of outdoor outing when DH is home, which will only be for the first 3 weeks. Of course, with 4th of a July, I was wondering about bbqs. Sounds like I just have to play it by ear and if it gets too hot, it's better to be safe than sorry! 
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    My prenatal class has been really insistent on not going out anywhere until after the first 4 weeks, even if you're feeling up to it. Apparently there's evidence that it's related to higher levels of PPD later on in the first year. Her rule is actually "week 1 - in bed, week 2 - on bed, week 3 - near bed" and I'm not sure if there's a specific for week 4. 

She said it will be really easy to follow if I'm feeling crappy, but if the weather is nice and I feel good it will be a lot harder to stick to, and she's tasked DH at helping. 

I feel like I'm ok with that, people can come to us, and we have a huge deck in the backyard that I can go hang out on if I'm feeling too cooped up in the house. 
    This seems really wrong to me. Woman are already nervous of PPD and then they have people threatening it with something small as going out. Seems like that would make them more paranoid.

What if someone was feeling really confined and suffocated and needs some good walks, some alone time, time to just be outside the house? 

Evidence is not fact, and you can find evidence to say anything. 

That's fair, and I'm certainly not saying I agree with her, it was just something she talked about at length. I'm sure if I'm feeling like I really need to get out then I will, but to be honest I kind of like having the excuse built in to make people come to me instead so I'll probably try to follow it at least somewhat. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    meg2704meg2704 member
    Dumb question about Braxton hicks - now that I'm having these every day, should I try to look for a pattern or time them in any way? I go to the OB on Thursday and will add it to my list of questions but thought y'all may have some advice too. 
  • Options
    Wino0920 said:
    My prenatal class has been really insistent on not going out anywhere until after the first 4 weeks, even if you're feeling up to it. Apparently there's evidence that it's related to higher levels of PPD later on in the first year. Her rule is actually "week 1 - in bed, week 2 - on bed, week 3 - near bed" and I'm not sure if there's a specific for week 4. 

She said it will be really easy to follow if I'm feeling crappy, but if the weather is nice and I feel good it will be a lot harder to stick to, and she's tasked DH at helping. 

I feel like I'm ok with that, people can come to us, and we have a huge deck in the backyard that I can go hang out on if I'm feeling too cooped up in the house. 
    This seems really wrong to me. Woman are already nervous of PPD and then they have people threatening it with something small as going out. Seems like that would make them more paranoid.

What if someone was feeling really confined and suffocated and needs some good walks, some alone time, time to just be outside the house? 

Evidence is not fact, and you can find evidence to say anything. 

I agree. This may be good for some people, but really bad for others. I'm an introvert and plan on being glued to my couch for a month after, but I know a few of my friends would be spiraled into depression being in bed for a month. You have to know yourself. 
  • Options
    c1tym0m22 said:

I've never heard this advice before - but given I live in a big city, staying in a small space for weeks would be more likely to give you PPD than if you're in a house with a yard. I think it comes down to doing whatever you feel comfortable with. DD was at the grocery store at 4 days old (early in the morning and in her stroller bassinet, so far from other people) in March - we'll see what decisions the heat leads us to make with this LO!

I think it's more important to not feel like you HAVE to go out. DD went grocery shopping at a week, and to a coffee shop at a week and a half. It was exhausting, but I needed to get out and the girl time was a huge help to me.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    I'm learning that Mexican culture has something called a "cuarentena" where you don't leave the house for 40 days. Supposedly it helps with everything including getting your tummy back where it should be. I definitely have a crunchy/holistic side but not sure what it is exactly that staying home is helping? Is it staying out of the sun/elements?
  • Options
    ama7165ama7165 member
    @meg2704. My ob said the real difference between BH and contractions is one leads to cervical dilation and labor and the other doesn't. If I notice BH I do try to see if they are regular and can be timed or if they go away with position changes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The only time I took our first out was for his appointments and when we had our newborn photos done close to our home. Once he had his first round of shots we hit the town! Mall strolling was our favorite pastime. This time I plan on taking him/her on some walks and planning a beach trip for around 2 months. 

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• Options
    I'm learning that Mexican culture has something called a "cuarentena" where you don't leave the house for 40 days. Supposedly it helps with everything including getting your tummy back where it should be. I definitely have a crunchy/holistic side but not sure what it is exactly that staying home is helping? Is it staying out of the sun/elements?
    The reason I'm staying home is because last time every time I left the house last time I started bleeding again. For 3 months. I would stop bleeding for a week, go to the grocery store and it would start again. I'm really not sure why, but personally my body just didn't like it. 
  • Options
    @Kylieslip24 oh no! I hope you don't go through that again!
  • Options

I agree. This may be good for some people, but really bad for others. I'm an introvert and plan on being glued to my couch for a month after, but I know a few of my friends would be spiraled into depression being in bed for a month. You have to know yourself. 
    I agree with this. I don't buy that there is one right way to recover that is healthiest emotionally and mentally for everyone. I immediately felt way better the first time I took dd out for a walk at 10 days old. Being in our tiny apartment except for her appointments was making me crazy even by then. But I can see the home time being really healthy and healing for other people depending on personality and context.
  • Options
    erinh84erinh84 member
    Anyone else completely slacking on getting your hospital bag together? I've got less than 6 weeks to go and I haven't made a list yet or anything. I guess I need to get on that. My friend who still has like 10 weeks to go told me today her hospital bag is all Packed and is sitting by her front door. That's honestly what made me think of it. 
  • Options
    erinh84 said:
    Anyone else completely slacking on getting your hospital bag together? I've got less than 6 weeks to go and I haven't made a list yet or anything. I guess I need to get on that. My friend who still has like 10 weeks to go told me today her hospital bag is all Packed and is sitting by her front door. That's honestly what made me think of it. 
    I have 3 weeks to go and still haven't gotten my suitcase out of the closet. 
  • Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    I made a list, does that count?

Really though, I tried to keep my maternity clothes spending to a budget so most of my comfortable things I'm bringing with me and toiletries get used on a regular basis. There are a few things I could pack like a nursing bra, but I don't understand how people are packed so far in advance and don't need to use any of it. 
  • Options
    @erinh84, I literally just threw some crap in mine tonight. It's not completely ready, but I'm getting there.
  • Options
    MKRLTX said:
    I made a list, does that count?

Really though, I tried to keep my maternity clothes spending to a budget so most of my comfortable things I'm bringing with me and toiletries get used on a regular basis. There are a few things I could pack like a nursing bra, but I don't understand how people are packed so far in advance and don't need to use any of it. 
    A lot of the stuff I buy brand new of and pack. I'm doing it kind of slowly after each shopping trip. Throw in a new toothbrush, new shampoo, that kind of stuff. That way I know it's in there, but it's also kind of a treat to use brand new stuff too. I'm buying new bath sheets for the house next time I go to target and packing an old one. I guess I use it as a time to refresh my everyday items. 
  • Options
    I'm not packed at all either and I'll be 36 weeks on Saturday. I know I should pack it, but I feel like once it's packed then the possibility of going into labor becomes more real and I'm just not ready yet. It's totally irrational. 
  • Options
    I'm with you @doodleoodle. I can't bring myself to finish. I threw some toiletries, underwear and baby clothes in a backpack before this week's NST just in case, but now it's back in my house, unfinished. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    I'm 34 weeks tomorrow. I probably wont pack for 2-3 more weeks.
  • Options
    I bought some stuff for my bag at Target tonight. There's a lot that will need to be packed day-of or at least closer to it, but I have a decent pile sitting in the crib waiting to go into a suitcase! 
  • Options
     I'm 35 weeks tomorrow and haven't packed anything either. Honestly, I feel like most of what is want to pack I use pretty regularly so I think I'll pack a little this weekend and them just make a lady of the rest to throw together when the time comes. 
    Me: 34, FTM, DH: 34
    BFP: 9/30/16, EDD: 6/9/17
  • Options
     Has anyone used a birthing tub before? Any tips? I'd also like to get a top of some sort to wear, anyone have any experience with options along these lines. Like a bralette or swim top? 
  • Options
    sparrow said:
     Has anyone used a birthing tub before? Any tips? I'd also like to get a top of some sort to wear, anyone have any experience with options along these lines. Like a bralette or swim top? 
    No experience with the birth tub, but I would wear a nursing bra, no wires just a comfy one. I know my nurses wanted boob access for that last push so she could immediately be placed on my breast.
  • Options
    mombodmombod member
    @sparrow I used a birthtub last time but didnt actually give birth in it. I am short and the tub was long so I couldnt really brace well in it for pushing. It felt really good though and I will do it again. I told DH hes getting in this time to sit behind me so I can brace better but we'll see. It works for some but not for others.
    I wore a sports bra and then pulled it up once DS was delivered.
  • Options
    I also wore a sports bra. I wanted something that wasn't going to hold a ton of water in it, since I got in and out several times. I plan to do the same again this time.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    @sparrow I'm low key obsessed with the empowered birth project on IG and I always see those ladies wearing bralettes and sport bras for their water births
  • Options
    danij0danij0 member
    I printed a list for my hospital bag. I'll probably start packing it next week but I use most of the stuff on it.
    My hospital has one L&D room with a tub and if I am lucky enough to be able to use it I will just wear a nursing bra without the padding and maybe shorts if I'm feeling modest. I did put swim trunks on my bag list for DH in case he gets in the tub or shower with me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You can't do the birthtub with an IV right? Even if it's not hooked up? Our hospital allows birthtubs which I would love, but I have to have an IV 
  • Options
    berg said:
    erinh84 said:
    My shower was last weekend and my sister and two SIL's bought me an overnight bag and packed it with everything I would need (they all have kids) new PJ's, new nursing bras, a robe, a going home outfit for me, going home outfits (team green) for the baby, and a handheld Sega Genisis for DH.  If that didn't happen, I would totally be having contractions while trying to find the travel case for my toothbrush.
    That's a really good gift idea! I think next time one of my close friends has a baby I'm going to get their postpartum box set up for them, that's not very fun to put together either.
  • Options
    meilaymeilay member
    I went to target for stuff last weekend! I plan to actually pack after my shower this weekend. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    berg said:
    erinh84 said:
    My shower was last weekend and my sister and two SIL's bought me an overnight bag and packed it with everything I would need (they all have kids) new PJ's, new nursing bras, a robe, a going home outfit for me, going home outfits (team green) for the baby, and a handheld Sega Genisis for DH.  If that didn't happen, I would totally be having contractions while trying to find the travel case for my toothbrush.
    Now that is love
  • Options
    @mombod @shmarpler @Knottie42089123 thanks!!!  I will check out some options.  My hospital won't allow actual delivery in the tub, but they do allow it and support it for laboring.

@Kylieslip24 - I actually asked my midwife about the IV and the tub and she said that, at least where I'm delivering, they allow it, they just put a baggie like thing around it.
  • Options
    Hmm I'll have to ask my midwives about it. It would be a nice option to have! @sparrow
  • Options
    My OB said I couldn't labor in the tub if my water broke due to the risk of infection. That made me sad bc labor for my mom and both my sisters started with their water breaking and I typically get a lot of pain relief and relaxation from baths. I'd love to labor in a tub if I'm allowed. 
  • Options
    Our birthing plans changed so now I need to pack sooner rather than later. Add me to the list of procrastinators! Hahahaha

• Options
    What changed, @silliegirlie143
  • Options
    kyreno11 said:
    My OB said I couldn't labor in the tub if my water broke due to the risk of infection. That made me sad bc labor for my mom and both my sisters started with their water breaking and I typically get a lot of pain relief and relaxation from baths. I'd love to labor in a tub if I'm allowed. 
    @kyreno11 that's weird because we only went to the hospital because my water broke with DS1. I labored in the tub for awhile! They just would let me labor in the tub once I got the epidural.