June 2017 Moms
Options

The big stupid questions thread

Re: The big stupid questions thread

• Options
    @huzzahuzza maybe the nurses will let me if the doctor isn't around. My sister was able to labor and give birth in a tub after her water broke. My OB told me there isn't anywhere around here that will allow you to labor in the tub after your water breaks. I'll just have to wait and see. 
  • Options
    delujm0delujm0 member
    kyreno11 said:
    @huzzahuzza maybe the nurses will let me if the doctor isn't around. My sister was able to labor and give birth in a tub after her water broke. My OB told me there isn't anywhere around here that will allow you to labor in the tub after your water breaks. I'll just have to wait and see. 
    Are you GBS+?  If you are, you can't be in the tub after your water breaks bc it's easier for the infection to transfer that way.  My hospital allows you in the tub after water breaks of you haven't had an epidural yet, unless you are GBS+.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    delujm0 said:
    kyreno11 said:
    Are you GBS+?  If you are, you can't be in the tub after your water breaks bc it's easier for the infection to transfer that way.  My hospital allows you in the tub after water breaks of you haven't had an epidural yet, unless you are GBS+.
    This is really interesting. My friend has been GBS+ with all 3 of her kids, and her midwife told her that it was less likely to be a problem with a water birth. But maybe her water broke later and that makes the difference? 
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    mrtmrt member
    Do your contractions feel significantly different after your water breaks? I've only ever had contractions after my water breaking with both of my sons, and I'm curious if I started having contractions first this time if they would feel different or less intense? Putting this in the stupid question thread for a reason.
  • Options
    mrt said:
    Do your contractions feel significantly different after your water breaks? I've only ever had contractions after my water breaking with both of my sons, and I'm curious if I started having contractions first this time if they would feel different or less intense? Putting this in the stupid question thread for a reason.
    Mine got stronger.
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    kahlan82kahlan82 member
    edited May 2017
    @mrt My contractions were horrible after my water broke. Before they broke my water I was able to manage them but then they broke my water and i was all about getting the epidural. Although, I think I was also transitioning. Mine definitely get stronger or i could  feel them more after my water broke.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    My water broke a few min before transition. Once transition was over I don't remember them being terrible really. Definitely a little stronger though, I barely felt them before transition. 
  • Options
    Mine were definitely stronger after my water broke. I think the waters kind of helped cushion some of the tightness of the contractions, and once it was broken it was a much more intense tightening feeling.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @delujm0 I don't have my GBS results back yet. 
  • Options
    lmc929lmc929 member
    mrt said:
    I actually had my water broken because I was at 9 cm and it hadn't yet - I didnt have an epidural and I remember feeling a sense of relief when they broke it. However, I will say they just get more intense over time anyhow so regardless of when your water breaks - it just continues to build up.

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Options
    meilaymeilay member
    How many baby clothes/what types (onesies, sleepers, etc) are useful? I keep seeing all these different lists and I just want to have a decent sense of what actually worked for people. I'm hoping to not do laundry more than every other day (planning to cloth diaper so laundry will happen at least that often once she fits into them) but I just can't tell if I have enough clothes. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    meilay said:
    How many baby clothes/what types (onesies, sleepers, etc) are useful? I keep seeing all these different lists and I just want to have a decent sense of what actually worked for people. I'm hoping to not do laundry more than every other day (planning to cloth diaper so laundry will happen at least that often once she fits into them) but I just can't tell if I have enough clothes. 
    I don't have a ton of newborn clothing, I think 8-10 onesies, four pairs of pants and shorts, and maybe five outfits. I've got quite a bit of 0-3, 15-20 onesies, 8-10 outfits, 5 pairs of short and pants each. I have about the same for 3-6 months and up. I'll acquire more as we go too.
  • Options
    meilay said:
    I have way more then I need because people sent gifts after dd was born and I had already bought a bunch of stuff. If you are doing laundry every other day, I think you won't need much. Dd pretty much just wore sleepers the whole time she was in newborn size (October baby), but I guess we might use more onsies instead in the hot weather. I would start with like 5-6 onsies and 4-5 sleepers and see what people give you and what you like using.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever had uterus measurements further than they are along? This is my fourth and I've always measured exactly what I was, today I measured two weeks further and I didn't think to even ask what that means, if anything.      

@Stankonia2014 super late to this question, but I couldn't breastfeed my first (but I ended up pumping for 5 months) my second I didn't even attempt, and my third I was able to exclusively breastfeed for 17 months. 

• Options
    Stankonia2014Stankonia2014 member
    edited May 2017
    Has anyone ever had uterus measurements further than they are along? This is my fourth and I've always measured exactly what I was, today I measured two weeks further and I didn't think to even ask what that means, if anything.      

@Stankonia2014 super late to this question, but I couldn't breastfeed my first (but I ended up pumping for 5 months) my second I didn't even attempt, and my third I was able to exclusively breastfeed for 17 months. 

Do you mean fundal height? If yes, this isn't really an indicator of much and as with u/s there's a level of human error. With my last I measured right on track and then towards third tri I was two weeks ahead and then by delivery I was back on track.

Thanks for the hope about exclusively BFing. :)
  • Options
    @keniialise, like Stankonia said, there's room for human error. I think baby's position can change the measurement a bit too. I was measuring right on until a few weeks ago and now I'm about two weeks ahead as well. I think if you're 4 or more cm off it's something to look into further. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    I've been all over the place. I've been 2 cms over at two or three different appointments. And not consecutive appointments either. My last appointments have been something like +2, +1, 0, +1, 0, +2, 0. My midwives say it's not a concern unless it's 3 cms or more off in either direction. 
  • Options
    @keniialise I'm sort of the opposite - my fundal height has been a cm "short" or spot on, but last week's growth scan showed a LO measuring 10 days ahead. It's all a bit random, I think!
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • Options
    @MotherofDragons sorry it took me so long to answer but things have been going CRAZY over here.
    I was planning for a home birth in early to mid June, but my placenta previa hasn't resolved... matter of fact the placenta has adhered to the cervix. Now I will be going in next week for a c section. 

I am NOT prepared to leave work next week. I have a variety of projects that I was counting on having 3 weeks left to finish. Now it must all be done ASAP.  :o

• Options
    Are Braxton hicks usually stronger during a second pregnancy? Or is every pregnancy just different?
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    shmarpler said:
    Are Braxton hicks usually stronger during a second pregnancy? Or is every pregnancy just different?
    They have been for me. Omg! Last time they were more visual. I barely noticed. This time they take my breath away and my head hurts until it passes. 
  • Options
    kdanjoukdanjou member
    They have been for me too.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • Options
    shmarpler said:
    They have been for me. Omg! Last time they were more visual. I barely noticed. This time they take my breath away and my head hurts until it passes. 
    Last time I never felt them. I only knew I was having them when I tried to feel where the baby was and my belly was hard. This time, they woke me up night before last, and last night they felt like legit contractions.
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    mishmosh26mishmosh26 member
    edited May 2017
    Just had my 35 week appointment and it went very well.  Fundal height was measuring right on, and her heart beat was 149.  The GBS swab didn't hurt at all.  Doctor did also check my cervix and aside from a little softening no progress there.  Blood pressure was 122/94 when I got into office but after laying down it was around 133/77, so much better.  My instructions are to continue bed rest for the next two weeks.  If my cervix becomes favorable at 36+6 I will have an induction by Foley catheter and if not I will have a repeat Csection.  I know things can change at any time but I am so relieved to finally have a plan and to know what to expect in the next two weeks!

edit: Sorry meant to post this in the symptoms thread since there wasn't an appointment thread. I should have double checked!
    DD: born August 2014
    BFP #2: 10/10/16
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Cramps after delivery. 

Baby 1- no really issues and I didn't take any meds after, though they kept asking me if I needed them.

Baby 2- they were awful! I had to come have the nurse get the baby while I was breast feeding because I was in so much pain I couldn't even hold her. Took 800mg Ibprofen for a week. 

Baby 3- some pain but not as bad. Took meds for a few days. 

Number 4 has me worried....with a very active 2 year old running around I'm worried about the awful cramps. My BFF said that with each of her 4 kids it got worse. What have you guys experienced? 
  • Options
    @JennMof3 mine always get worse, this is my fourth too.. not looking forward to it, as I have a two year old running around too! 
  • Options
    @JennMof3 mine always get worse, this is my fourth too.. not looking forward to it, as I have a two year old running around too! 
    Well dang this is what I was afraid of. I'm finding myself getting a little anxious about delivery (you'd think I'd be an old pro by now LOL). 

I'm looking forward to the sweet baby snuggles so I'll just try to stay focused on the good parts. 
  • Options
    I'm getting so nervous too! Especially as I'm having preterm labor symptoms. I seriously can't wait to meet him though. So weird being excited and terrified at the same time. 
  • Options
    Same here. Contractions have been studying enough to wake me up the last two out of three nights. I get a little excited, then remember that I'd like her to cook until at least 37 weeks. I want to meet her so badly, that I've been dreaming of baby snuggles.
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    JennMof3 said:
    Well dang this is what I was afraid of. I'm finding myself getting a little anxious about delivery (you'd think I'd be an old pro by now LOL). 

I'm looking forward to the sweet baby snuggles so I'll just try to stay focused on the good parts. 
    I'm not as anxious about labor/delivery as I was the first time (though I'm only 33 weeks so maybe it'll come later) but the newborn stage has me anxious. A friend of mine who just had a baby reminded me that they don't know how to poop! The nights spent sitting up with baby trying to help his digestive system figure things out are not exciting to me!!! Is this board ready for how many "is this poop normal" threads we'll be getting?!?!
  • Options
    JennMof3 said:
    Cramps after delivery. 

Baby 1- no really issues and I didn't take any meds after, though they kept asking me if I needed them.

Baby 2- they were awful! I had to come have the nurse get the baby while I was breast feeding because I was in so much pain I couldn't even hold her. Took 800mg Ibprofen for a week. 

Baby 3- some pain but not as bad. Took meds for a few days. 

Number 4 has me worried....with a very active 2 year old running around I'm worried about the awful cramps. My BFF said that with each of her 4 kids it got worse. What have you guys experienced? 
    Mine got progressively worse with each child also. I'm on numero four too.

• Options
    @kylies Yes excited and terrified at the same time definitely describes it. I'm going to also miss my one on one time with my 2 year old son. 

@shmarpler I've been having the weirdest dreams. I wish mine were about baby snuggles. I also wish I could sleep past this internal clock that thinks I need to be up at 6:15am. Doesn't my body realize my sleeping in days are limited!?!

@huzzahuzza I'm really not looking forward to the sleepless nights. My son had colic and was an awful sleeper for the 1st year. Hoping this baby will like to sleep like her Momma. I had no idea they didn't know how to poop
  • Options
    @Stajnkonia2014

you've confirmed my suspicions and I'll be sure to keep up with the meds. When possible I try to avoid them but I can't have the pain like I did with my second. 
  • Options
    So on a completely different note...

anyone type up a big response only to have like three lines show up and the rest of the text is missing? What am I doing wrong? Anyone experiencing this? 
  • Options
    @JennMof3 , Yes. Sometimes TB will eat the whole thing.
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    ama7165ama7165 member
    I have all my bottles from my DS. I plan to sterilize the bottles but do you sterilize and reuse the nipples too or just buy new ones?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Something I learned about the poop thing the first time around was that they don't need to poop as much as you think if the are 100% breastfed. Dd wouldn't go for weeks and I would be so worried, but with breastmilk they can just need everything in it. If they aren't acting uncomfortable then try not to worry. Formula can stop them up if they aren't used to it though and they will definitely tell you they are hurting! 
  • Options
    delujm0delujm0 member
    Something I learned about the poop thing the first time around was that they don't need to poop as much as you think if the are 100% breastfed. Dd wouldn't go for weeks and I would be so worried, but with breastmilk they can just need everything in it. If they aren't acting uncomfortable then try not to worry. Formula can stop them up if they aren't used to it though and they will definitely tell you they are hurting! 
    I have heard this...but DD was EBF and for the first 4 months she pooped almost every time she ate.  Like at least 6 times a day.  And for the first 8 months she exploded out of at least one diaper a day too, bc her poop was essentially liquid until she was eating more solid foods.  I have scrubbed so much poop out of onesies at this point, I should have just cloth diapered.  Sigh.
  • Options
    We 100% BF DS too. He pooped a lot. He was on a very normal schedule.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    On average she did poop a lot. I think this only happened one time. When she was maybe 2 mos old? If it was a regular thing I would talk to her dr. But every once in a while they can stop pooping for a while and it's ok. Maybe it was a growth spurt or something.