June 2017 Moms
Options

The big stupid questions thread

Re: The big stupid questions thread

• Options
    I definitely felt kicks and movements during labor.  At least when I could still breathe through contractions . It was mostly between them.  Towards transition I totally don't remember movement.  DS kept kicking and moving away from the monitors and the nurse kept having to adjust.  
  • Options
    shmarplershmarpler member
    edited April 2017
    I threw up. I couldn't keep anything down while I was in labor. I do remember feeling some movements between contractions. She was facing the wrong way, and right before her head became visible, I felt her twist and she presented "properly." That kind of annoyed me. I had 42 hours of back labor and still can't say that she was born sunny side up.   :|
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When should I go bra shopping? I'm 34 weeks, and I feel overdue for a larger bra size, but I don't know how big they are going to get!
  • Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    Would you STMs say that 2 nursing bras, 3 nursing tops, and a nursing nightgown is enough for the beginning? I feel like I'm spending money on all of this stuff for nursing and I don't even know how well it's going to work for us.
  • Options
    MKRLTX said:
    Would you STMs say that 2 nursing bras, 3 nursing tops, and a nursing nightgown is enough for the beginning? I feel like I'm spending money on all of this stuff for nursing and I don't even know how well it's going to work for us.
    I think that is plenty starting off with.  I think that is exactly the number of each item I had starting off (and actually all the way through) ironically. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @babycrow-2 everybody is different as far as how your size post partum compares to your size at various points in pregnancy, so I definitely wouldn't invest in many bras or expensive bras at this point. If you are planning to breastfeed, you will want some stretchy nursing bras for the first couple weeks after the baby is born while your milk supply regulates (your boobs will probably grow and shrink A LOT during that time), and those are typically pretty cheap anyway, so if you can get a few of those and make do with them for the rest of your pregnancy, that would be the cheapest option. Then you can go get some good nursing bras a little while after the baby is born when your size regulates (or new regular bras if you aren't nursing and your size doesn't go back exactly to what it was before pregnancy). 
  • Options
    MKRLTX said:
    That's a great start and possibly all you will need! You can always get another bra or two once you decide what size you are. It is nice to have a clean one ready to go because you never know when you'll get milk all over the one you're wearing (for me it was frequent).
    You will likely change sizes several times in that first month PP, so don't invest in anything pricey right away. 
  • Options
    MKRLTX said:
    Only thing I might add is a minimal support night nursing bra to sleep in (and hold the pads in place). I think I liked the Medela ones, and they're not pricey. 
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • Options
    EmeraldNC said:
    MKRLTX said:
    I think that is plenty starting off with.  I think that is exactly the number of each item I had starting off (and actually all the way through) ironically. 
    Me too. The 2 nursing bras were night time ones and I usually just slept in those and pants in the beginning. I waited to get real nursing bras when she was a few weeks old and I knew nursing was working for us. I never bought anymore after that and we bf until she was 2 1/2. Just low tops worked good and eventually around 1 year I think my boobs went back to normal and I just used a normal bra because she wasn't nursing every hour anymore. 
  • Options
    I got about 5 underwire nursing bras when I was around 34w last time.  it was the first time I had to size up so I figured I didn't want to buy bras specifically for the last 6w of pregnancy and then MORE bras later for nursing.  Full disclosure, I've been wearing the nursing bras ever since, even though I haven't nursed DD since January.  I only wear them to work - when I'm at home I wear a nursing tank all the time (even to sleep).  Again, they have good support and are just comfortable.  Motherhood Maternity doesn't sell the style of tank I liked from two years ago anymore though, which is a super bummer because I have about 6 but could use a few more.  Boo.
  • Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    Another question. Either my bump or ovia apps 33 week update said that I won't get much bigger after 33 weeks. Is that true?! I thought baby grew a lot these last weeks which in my mind would mean a bigger belly...

@delujm0 Did the underwire ever cause clogged ducts?
  • Options

@MKRLTX I don't think the underwire caused any issues.  I'm a large breasted lady, so going into the office without an underwire bra would have been highly inappropriate, so I knew I'd need them at least for work.  I did get mastitis 3 times, but all were when I was 8-9 months into pumping/breastfeeding, and when I was attempting to pump wean during the day, so I think my body just had trouble adjusting to the forced weaning.  To be honest though, by the time I noticed there was a clog it was too late to prevent the mastitis...I'd pop a fever like 2 hours after my boob started hurting.  And the last two occurrences I believe were linked (I think the course of antibiotics they gave me that time was too short - it was several days shorter than the previous one - and as soon as I went off them I got it again on the same side). 

I only wore the underwire bras to the office, and the nursing tanks basically 100% of the time otherwise.

• Options
    MKRLTX said:
    Another question. Either my bump or ovia apps 33 week update said that I won't get much bigger after 33 weeks. Is that true?! I thought baby grew a lot these last weeks which in my mind would mean a bigger belly...

From what I understand and what my doc said yesterday is that baby gains 1/2lb +\- a week from here on out, so I would think you'd get bigger.  This is when they pack on the pounds.
  • Options
    I feel like my bump grows quite a bit between 33 and 40 weeks! 

I think that's a good start on nursing clothes because you just don't know what you will like to wear.  I literally only wear nursing tanks for the first 3 to 4 months.  I only wear an underwire bra if absolutely needed for an outing.  After that I wear a nursing bra and tank together under my shirt because I hate being bare belly when I nurse and pump.  That way even when I pull up my shirt I feel warm and covered.  I sleep in a nursing tank and shorts and in the winter sometimes I would throw on a robe at night to nurse in.  

I got mastitis with my first around 6 weeks from attempting to wear an underwire and going shopping and going too long between a feeding so I've just always been careful since.  Plus underwire bras feel so uncomfortable to me when my boob size changes by the hour based on when the baby ate last! 
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    MKRLTX said:

It's possible that you may put on the extra 4-7lbs but your belly may not stretch as much. Baby just kind of fills in what little space is left. So your stomach may not appear to be much bigger, but doesn't mean baby (and you) won't continue to pack on the pounds.

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• Options
    Anyone planning on waiting to see the baby before selecting a name? Any STM do this before? Does it really just click?

I think we may be heading in this direction because we cannot figure out a name. It kind of makes me nervous though. I'm having a csection and don't want to make a cloudy choice. 

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• Options
    Anyone planning on waiting to see the baby before selecting a name? Any STM do this before? Does it really just click?

I think we may be heading in this direction because we cannot figure out a name. It kind of makes me nervous though. I'm having a csection and don't want to make a cloudy choice. 
    With my other two we had it narrowed down to 2 names with a favorite but said we wouldn't make it official until we saw him or her.  And both times I felt really good about our favorite name once they were born.  It does help to hold that baby and call it a name! I'm having the hardest time with names this time so I'm hoping it will be clearer in the next few weeks!
  • Options

I think you have a few days to make the decision right? Especially with a c section, I imagine you don't have to fill in the paperwork until you leave? 

I name my babies before conception because I'm weird like that, but I'm sure it will click for you and he or she won't go home nameless. 
  • Options
    ellie111227ellie111227 member
    edited April 2017
    @soontobemrsdavis We choose names as early as possible because we often stop liking a name after planning on using it for a few weeks. That said, tons of people wait until the baby is born. My cousins in Norway think it is really weird that those of us in the US always have a name ready to announce as soon as the baby is born.  They like to get to know the baby before naming them. When one of them has a baby they will announce the gender (if they didn't already know), then maybe a couple days later tell us a couple names they have narrowed it down to, and then after a week or two they will have a final name choice. It always works for them!
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me more about placenta abrubtion?  With one of ours experiencing it today I'm curious if anyone has any more insight.  Sounds scary!
  • Options
    @lmudra I had placental abruption as well.  My placenta started pulling away from my uterus and is what caused me so much pain.  Thankfully when things got crazy for me I was already in the hospital.  It can be life threatening though.  
  • Options
    jennas312jennas312 member
    edited April 2017
    I'm wonderiing how normal it is to not have sex when this (30+ weeks)pregnant. I know it's a personal preference probably or a matter of comfort or even safety. I feel like a whaleeeee . A tired whale. I just know once baby comes sex will still not be on the table(for a while).
    My husband hasn't asked for it in weeks. Wondering if he's starting to see how uncomfortable and tired I am. :tired_face: :
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MKRLTX said:

It's possible that you may put on the extra 4-7lbs but your belly may not stretch as much. Baby just kind of fills in what little space is left. So your stomach may not appear to be much bigger, but doesn't mean baby (and you) won't continue to pack on the pounds.
    This was me with DS! I mean, I did grow after 33 weeks, but not by much, and I stopped growing at 36. 
  • Options
    @ladylolly89 I wish this was me! Looking at pics of myself at 39 weeks with DD reminds me how I outgrew my maternity clothes in the last few weeks of that pregnancy. It's crazy (but not surprising) how our bodies vary so much in how we react to pregnancy!
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • Options
    @Wearmi1 so it was a noticable pain then?  Like you would for sure know right?
  • Options
    @jennas312.   Yeah, we haven't had sex since 20 weeks. My body cannot handle it.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    @jennas312 the last time we DTD I literally felt like I'd just given birth. Not fun. I can't say that we won't do it again before LO arrives (I'm sure we will) but my goodness. It's certainly getting difficult. 
  • Options
    Yeah I think we've had sex maybe 4 time this entire pregnancy. It was ok the first few weeks, but pretty quick it did not feel good at all. It's been about 2 months since last time and I told him we won't be doing that again till after baby comes. I'm uncomfortable enough as it is. 
  • Options
    I thought it was just me with the lack of sex. 
  • Options
    Ok I kinda feel better now. I won't  be able to handle it if I feel her move during. I'll definitely lose my vibe hahahaha
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We also haven't had sex in months.  I may do it at the very end if I'm desperate to kick start things but I've just not been into it and feel like a whale.  Poor DH. 
  • Options
    @MKRLTX, nursing bras in my size only come with underwire. As long as the wire fits properly, and is not compressing breast tissue, it shouldn't cause any problems.

@lmudra , I had a partial placental abruption at 16 weeks. I had a nasty cold and the coughing was equivalent to the force of a minor car accident, and caused the the tears. I was basically on bed rest for a week, and pelvic rest for about 5 weeks after. I had two tears and both have completely healed, but it can definitely be a bit scary.
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    @shmarpler. How was it diagnosed?
  • Options
    So glad you're safe!!!  So the lesson is, if it feels like something is wrong, go in!
  • Options
    @lmudra, I was diagnosed by ultrasound. I had gone to the ER for bleeding, cramping, and decreased fetal movement. 
    Married 8/29/09
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Options

Oh man, we did this with our second. We just could not agree on a name so we decided to wait to see him before naming him because we thought one of the ones on our list would click when we saw him. Nope. Took us 14 hours and I hated the pressure. None of the names we picked seemed just right so when we chose, I felt like we were settling. Now, I will say, we chose perfectly because I cannot imagine him with any other name and I just adore it o ultimately it worked out. Just didn't feel like it was at the time.

Struggling the same this time but I am adamant that we have to decide on a name beforehand because I don't want to do that again.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016