June 2017 Moms

GD Support Thread

Re: GD Support Thread

• mrt said:
    @alm52386 did you change your diet in the days leading up to your 3 hour? They told me I need to fast for 6-8 hours, but it will likely be more since I'm testing at 8am.

I was really hungry for my one hour, I had eaten lunch, but more than 5 hours earlier. Could that have made a difference? I've taken the 1 hour 5 times now, and always passed by about 40 points.
    I did not change my diet. They specifically told me not to. My appointment was also at 8am and I had last eaten a PB&J at like 9/9:30pm. My fasting number was 91 and had to be under 95. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @mrt I didn't have more frequent appts last time, but I did have an extra ultrasound at the end. 36 weeks or something I think. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Did my 3 hour this morning - it wasn't fun but I powered through. Anxiously waiting for the results!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mrtmrt member
    danijo said:
    Did my 3 hour this morning - it wasn't fun but I powered through. Anxiously waiting for the results!
    This will be me tomorrow morning. Ugh. Not excited. Some people seemed to know their results in real time, but I don't think that's how it works at my lab.
  • @mrt I was really hoping I would know in real time but they did separate tubes each time. I wish I had a blood glucose meter I would have brought it and done it myself as it went - we actually did that during my physiology lab in college, which is where I first discovered my previous prediabetes.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • tjvantjvan member
    Mine wasn't real time either. I received my one hour results back the next day, so I'm a little concerned that I haven't received these yet... since I took my test on Tuesday morning. Fingers crossed I get an email instead of a phone call!
  • I took my 3 hour test this morning. My results posted and my fasting number was good, my 1st draw was super high like 210, my 2nd draw was slightly higher and 3rd was within normal limits... According to dr Google I think I might get diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
  • Okay, question for you ladies. I failed my 1 hr test at a 183. Did not fast for that test. Had to do 3 hr fasting one next day, which i passed. Question is what test is more accurate, should i be concerned one was bad and one wasn't? Tia!
  • A pass is a pass, @Mport90.  It's very common for people to fail the 1-hr, but pass the 3-hr. I'm not sure why that is, but I wouldn't be concerned at all. Eat all the things!
  • Just started my 3 hour and I already feel sick. I don't remember the drink tasting so bad last time I did a 3 hour. :s
  • @Heliumgirl717 I felt a little nauseated until 1.5 hours in yesterday. Just kept taking deep breaths and tried to watch a movie. Good luck!
    @tmrussell I have read the same thing, but wait and see what your doctor says for sure.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mrtmrt member
    Just started my 3 hour. After they did my fasting draw and I had the drink, I said I was going to go upstairs (in the elevator, in the same building) to talk to my doctor's office. The woman gave me a hard time. She tried to tell me that walking around would make my blood sugar higher. That doesn't make sense to me, but I could be wrong, but even if it does, I walked across the hall, rode an elevator, and walked across the hall again. Of course my doctor's appointment is right after I finish this, instead of being during one of my hour long breaks, because God forbid the lab and the doctor's office coordinate to make this a little easier on pregnant women.
  • That's really strange @mrt because the lab at my hospital said I could walk around and stuff during. They're even fine with me going out of sight to the gift shops and stuff. Good luck with your test!
  • Good luck to all of you taking your tests today. 

Today is my birthday. A birthday without cake. Piss on that.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • mrtmrt member
    @Heliumgirl717 Thanks! I know they don't want us leaving, that's true during the 1 hour also, I think it's because we're not trusted to tell them if we threw up, or something like that, and then she just started making stuff up when I was like, no, I'm going upstairs for a few minutes, I'll be back.
  • @BellaO21 glad you don't have to do that again!
  • My GD educator actually told me to walk after meals bc it Lowers blood sugar.  That's probably why they want you to stay put- so it's as accurate as possible.  You don't want to pass if you didn't really pass.
  • Good luck to those testing today!

@LAMCH1980, happy birthday! Please eat cake! 
  • I got the news today that I am officially joining the GD club... Ugh. Trying to read up on diet changes. I meet with my nurse this week for education and to learn how to test my blood sugar. 
  • My 3 hour is today, haven't eaten since 8pm last night and I just keep telling myself to try and not vomit once I drink that horrible stuff.

You definitely aren't supposed to walk around. The first time I took the 1 hour, there were no seats left in the waiting room so I went across the street to Target. No one gave me instructions to stay put, then when I came back they said my results would be no good, I would likely fail, and I had to take it again another day. I was pissed and I cried. 

Anyway, good luck on your tests ladies, keep your fingers crossed for me!
  • I bombed my 3 hour test and am once again a gestational diabetic! This time my doctor is sending me to a dietician, which I didn't get to last time. 
  • Officially starting insulin this week.  I've come to terms that it wasn't my fault though.  The GD educator said I'm doing everything right diet wise.
  • Curious if you ladies with GD have been eating the prescribed carb units and finding your readings to be high.  I'm on my second pregnancy with it and had no trouble keeping them down with a highly restricted carb diet.  This time a different RD told me to eat a set number of carbs throughout the day and in doing so, my numbers have been high. The last two days I've done the minimal carb thing again and the numbers are great.
  • So I'm not sure if I am giving myself the correct insulin dose. They gave me a 100 unit bottle, I've had at least 10 injections (15-18 units each) thus far, and my bottle is still full. I'm going to ask tomorrow, but I'm puzzled.

@mezalune, I'm finding that the diet she recommended gives me higher readings, so I go with what I know works for me and my body.

• mrtmrt member
    I passed the three hour. Thanks for your advice/support/letting me vent last week. I had several dreams last night depicting both outcomes, so clearly I was a little anxious about it. Good luck keeping keeping your levels under control ladies!
  • @Stankonia2014 I wonder if there is overflow? I know most of my IVF meds had a decent amount of overfill
  • @mezalune I was not given a prescribed amount of carbs, I didn't really eat any before my GD diagnosis so I'm not starting now. My sugars have been good 
  • Just a caution on the low/no carbs... I did low carb and afterva while it made my sugars wonky. Just my 2 cents!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just found out I failed my 1 hour my number was at 147. Hopefully the 3 hour goes well. 

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• Oh man, @soontobemrsdavis so close! I was similar at 152 and passed the 3 hour, so hopefully your 3 hour goes well.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm doing ... the two hour? tomorrow. Fast for eight hours, get my blood drawn, drink the drink and come back two hours later for another blood draw. I'm not looking forward to it. It'll probably be harder for me than most people because I don't drink sugary drinks. I dislike most juice and rarely drink it, never drink pop, never drink mochas or any other sugary coffee drink, etc. I drink water and milk pretty much exclusively, mostly water. 

I hope I pass! The baby has been measuring a centimeter large for my last two appointments. However, I genuinely think my due date is off by at least four days and possibly as much as a week, so that could be why. 
  • Oh man, @soontobemrsdavis so close! I was similar at 152 and passed the 3 hour, so hopefully your 3 hour goes well.
    Thank you!! I've been hearing a lot of positive stories so I'm trying not to stress too much!

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• I'm going to go in for my 3 hr on Monday. I've been eating apples and other fruit like crazy lately, but should I avoid/limit how much I'm eating between now and then? I know they told me to try to eat low carb for supper the night before I have the test, but is there anything else I should do in preparation? I don't want to cheat the system or anything, just hoping to pass. ;) 
  • Anyone else with GD have issues with their insurance not covering the cost of the test strips? I have pretty good insurance and they don't cover them. Mine were $90 for a 25 day supply. This has definitely increased my anxiety around this whole process. 
  • @tmrussell, mine are $54 for 50 strips (which will get me through 12.5 days). I actually just buy them OOP on Amazon (I can get 100 strips for $58).
  • @tmrussell, mine are $54 for 50 strips (which will get me through 12.5 days). I actually just buy them OOP on Amazon (I can get 100 strips for $58).
    Thanks. I'm going to call my insurance company and then talk to my doctor and go from there. Amazon is definitely a good idea. I feel like I remember our insurance company talking about a program where they mail you supplies but I don't know how much they cost. I can't believe they don't cover them. 
  • Double check and make sure your insurance won't cover a different brand monitor or strips.  My insurance wouldn't cover the AccuCheck and supplies but covers the OneTouch just fine.
  • @tmrussell, mine are expensive too, and I think that is with them covering part of it. I think I paid like $75 for a 25 day supply. The glucometers are cheap, so if you had to switch brands to get it covered, it might be worth it. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~