June 2017 Moms

GD Support Thread

Re: GD Support Thread

• I'll second what @mezalune said regarding making sure your insurance doesn't have another option that they fully cover. I had the same issue last time around. 
  • @Stankonia2014 is your insulin bottle 100units per ml? Probably 30ml in it so 3000units.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • @Stankonia2014 is your insulin bottle 100units per ml? Probably 30ml in it so 3000units.  
    It is. So would I draw up the dosage differently also?
    No.  Your syringe is in units correct? So just draw it up in units.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    #2 born May 2013
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
    No.  Your syringe is in units correct? So just draw it up in units.  
    Yes, it is. Thank you!
  • Now that a lot of ladies are taking the GTT and we're finding out who has GD, would anyone be interested in having a weekly check-in thread?
  • My insurance wouldn't cover my test strips until I was insulin dependent.  So after they put me on insulin mine were 100% covered.  Before I was on insulin, I did what other ladies talked about and used a cheaper brand from the store.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just finished my 3hr test.  No one told me it is twice the amount of glucose and those bastards didn't chill it for me.  Anyhow I survived and ate a giant chocolate chip cookie afterward in case it's my last one.  

#1 born December 2011
    #2 born May 2013
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I cheated on the diet at lunch... like by a lot. Now I'm feeling terrible about it. Please tell me that you guys sometimes Slip up too?  In my mind you are eating exactly what you are allotted at every meal and I'm a terrible person with no self control. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • @LAMCH1980, I have cheat meals. My dietician said it was fine. DH bought me a mini lemon bundt cake and I ate that for lunch. 

I do indulge every now and then and I'm pretty honest with my doc, I had to keep a food log for several weeks and I put down that I ate pasta.  Every once in awhile (or even once a week) isn't going to do any harm.
  • LAMCH1980 said:
    I cheated on the diet at lunch... like by a lot. Now I'm feeling terrible about it. Please tell me that you guys sometimes Slip up too?  In my mind you are eating exactly what you are allotted at every meal and I'm a terrible person with no self control. 
    Of course I cheat! Don't be so hard on yourself!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • i am joining the team here :( failed my 3hr today, go to see the diabetes educator on friday.  i think this is the hardest thing to hit me since IF when i know its not the end of the world and by reading everything in here i know its not b/c you are all surviving successfully.  i just didn't expect this.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • rmarble23 said:
    i am joining the team here :( failed my 3hr today, go to see the diabetes educator on friday.  i think this is the hardest thing to hit me since IF when i know its not the end of the world and by reading everything in here i know its not b/c you are all surviving successfully.  i just didn't expect this.
    Sorry that you find yourself here. I found the first few days are the hardest, but then you adjust to it all. It's annoying, but manageable. 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Guess I should say hi now that I have my official diagnosis. I've been reading through the thread the last two weeks. I'm waiting for MFM to call & schedule my appointment. I'm not overly surprised that things went this way but I was hoping for a different outcome. I have a feeling my boss (well one of them) is going to drive me nuts over my diagnosis. She told me this morning that if she sees me with anything I shouldn't have that she's going to throw it away. Well boss lady I will go off on you
  • @beckij34 I have a co-worker who CONSTANTLY comments on what I am eating.  I know she means well, she is my parents age so she is very "momma bear" to me... but I eventually had to say something because it was getting to the point where I was hiding out to eat lunch/snacks/etc.  She now will look at me, but not say anything.  Which is still annoying, but at least it is progress.  And then there is the extremely rude school nurse that we have here... She literally questions me every time she sees me because she says "I'm too big to be (insert # of weeks here)"... I finally got rude back and told her the size of my growing PREGNANT belly was none of her concern.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • XathXath member
    edited March 2017
    I failed my 1 hour with my first 3 pregnancies, but always passed my 3-hour.  With this one, they started me with a 2-hour that came in borderline, so my OB is having me check my blood sugar levels today.  The thing is, I have the test strips, but I have no idea what I'm looking for in terms of range.  He's having me text him when I check, and I assume he'll get back to me at some point.

But I'm curious what numbers I should be looking for, and I'm not having much success with Google.  Anyone who's currently testing, is there a standard range for numbers or are they tailored to each person?  Any good resources to familiarize myself with?  My numbers (and foods) so far today are:

Fasting Test - 0800 - 4.6
    Breakfast - 0800-0830 - 2 Eggs, Smoked Salmon, Cheese
    Post-Breakfast Test - 0930 - 4.9
    Pre-Lunch Test - 1230 - 4.4
    Lunch 1230-1300 - Pasta with Fennel Pork Ragu, Plum
    Post-Lunch Test - 1400 - 9.6
    Pre-Snack Test - 1500 - 7.4
    Snack - 1500-1515 - Celery with Peanut Butter, Cheese
    Post-Snack Test - 1620 - 4.7

The UK resources I'm finding aren't specific and the US ones seem to use a completely different numbering system.  :/  

Edit:  I guess the numbers don't look good. Got a text from my OB that said "you are going to need to cut sugar, etc. down as much as possible."
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
  • Thank you @LAMCH1980 today is a new day and I'm going to take it one day at a time and hope everything will be ok

• EmeraldNCEmeraldNC member
    edited March 2017
    Xath said:
    I failed my 1 hour with my first 3 pregnancies, but always passed my 3-hour.  With this one, they started me with a 2-hour that came in borderline, so my OB is having me check my blood sugar levels today.  The thing is, I have the test strips, but I have no idea what I'm looking for in terms of range.  He's having me text him when I check, and I assume he'll get back to me at some point.

But I'm curious what numbers I should be looking for, and I'm not having much success with Google.  Anyone who's currently testing, is there a standard range for numbers or are they tailored to each person?  Any good resources to familiarize myself with?  My numbers (and foods) so far today are:

Fasting Test - 0800 - 4.6
    Breakfast - 0800-0830 - 2 Eggs, Smoked Salmon, Cheese
    Post-Breakfast Test - 0930 - 4.9
    Pre-Lunch Test - 1230 - 4.4
    Lunch 1230-1300 - Pasta with Fennel Pork Ragu, Plum
    Post-Lunch Test - 1400 - 9.6
    Pre-Snack Test - 1500 - 7.4
    Snack - 1500-1515 - Celery with Peanut Butter, Cheese

The UK resources I'm finding aren't specific and the US ones seem to use a completely different numbering system.  :/  
    I was about to say... those numbers seem unfamiliar...

My fasting number is <90 and 2 hours after eating is supposed to be <120.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @EmeraldNC, that school nurse needs to shut her pie hole! People are so rude to pregnant women. 

@Xath, I'm not familiar with the UK system. Is there some sort of conversion chart online? This morning I was told my fasting cannot exceed 95 and 2 hours after meals shouldn't exceed 130. It seems some docs have different guidelines. Good luck to you! 

@Stankonia2014, are you doing ok today? Thinking of you... 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • XathXath member
    LAMCH1980 said:
    @EmeraldNC, that school nurse needs to shut her pie hole! People are so rude to pregnant women. 

@Xath, I'm not familiar with the UK system. Is there some sort of conversion chart online? This morning I was told my fasting cannot exceed 95 and 2 hours after meals shouldn't exceed 130. It seems some docs have different guidelines. Good luck to you! 

@Stankonia2014, are you doing ok today? Thinking of you... 
    I found a converter.  Looks like 95 is 5.3 and 130 is 7.2.  So my lunch number is high.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
  • Hi ladies I just finally got my supplies. I can't meet with my educator until next week now. I did mail order and my insurance covered all my supplies that way. I am having difficulty getting my lancing device to work. They sent me a super cheap one so I plan to buy a better one.

When are you ladies supposed to test one hour or 2 hours after a meal? 
  • I test one hour post meal but if I forget or get pulled away for work, it's nice to know I can do a test at the two hour mark to make sure it's come down.  My range is <95 fasting, <140 one hour post meal.
  • Did my first shot of insulin tonight (with a pen).  Whew!  That hurts less than the blood draws!!!  
  • I test after two hours.
  • I go for my diabetic consult with the dietitian on April 10th. What should I expect? My mom is going with me. At my appointment on Wednesday I had lost two pounds (don't know how, lol), was still measuring big (was measuring 30wks at 26wks @ a prior appt),  and Ezra was hiding so she had to search for his heartbeat. They are watching my blood pressure too because it's been on the elevated side lately. What do you all do for breakfast and lunch? I eat those meals at work during the week. My boss told me no more carbs (she's an RN) but I don't see how that's completely possible. I know eggs are great but I'm not a big egg eater. Everything I think of has carbs, sigh. 
  • Heliumgirl717Heliumgirl717 member
    edited March 2017
    @beckij34 - it is important to have some carbs with your meals. I think I had 30 for breakfast, 15 for snacks and either 30 or 45 for lunch and dinner. 

Last pregnancy I couldn't handle carbs for breakfast, so I had eggs and some cheese and meat, but this time around I make an egg sandwich with those previous items on an English muffin. 

For lunch I keep things simple- cheese and crackers, jerky and nuts. 

Dinner is really where I struggle to incorporate enough carbs. I think @Stankonia2014 had some good ideas though, if I remember correctly.

• beckij34 said:
    My boss told me no more carbs (she's an RN) but I don't see how that's completely possible. I know eggs are great but I'm not a big egg eater. Everything I think of has carbs, sigh. 
    Your boss is wrong.  GD diet isn't about no carbs.  It's about the right amount of carbs at the right time.  I was actually surprised at the number of carbs I had to have in each meal/snack.  Sure, I can't eat a sleeve of a Girl Scout cookies or a huge bowl of ice cream but I don't feel deprived.  In the AM- an English muffin with PB would be great (or whole wheat toast).  My GD educator told me no fruit or sugary cereal is my only restriction in the AM.  You'll feel much better once you meet with your educator!  Good luck!
  • beckij34 said:p
    I go for my diabetic consult with the dietitian on April 10th. What should I expect? My mom is going with me. At my appointment on Wednesday I had lost two pounds (don't know how, lol), was still measuring big (was measuring 30wks at 26wks @ a prior appt),  and Ezra was hiding so she had to search for his heartbeat. They are watching my blood pressure too because it's been on the elevated side lately. What do you all do for breakfast and lunch? I eat those meals at work during the week. My boss told me no more carbs (she's an RN) but I don't see how that's completely possible. I know eggs are great but I'm not a big egg eater. Everything I think of has carbs, sigh. 
    For breakfast this week I made breakfast casserole. It was about 8-12 eggs, sausage that was fried up, I used green and red pepper and cheese. Mix it all together. I also put in a very thin layer of diced potatoes on the bottom for a few carbs. I took a serving every morning for breakfast. Lunch I am doing a small sandwich with a side of veggies and dip, salads, dinner left overs. I haven't met with my educator yet but in the past when I was working with a personal trainer and she mention breaking up my meals so I'm focusing on making sure I'm not overeating. Example if you get a 6 inch sub maybe eat half and see if your full save the other half for later or last night at Chipotle I got a bowl and I only ate half and I took the other half home. Chipotle has a really nice site where you can see nutrition information based on what you pick.
  • Thanks @Imudra & @tmrussell. I appreciate the feedback. 
  • @beckij34, not eating enough carbs can be a problem too, it's about finding the right amount that works for you and when.

I suspect they'll give you guidelines at your appointment and recommendations on foods to eat. These are just recommendations, they aren't tailored to you specifically, so some things might not work for you. You'll learn what spikes you and what you can have.

Food ideas: 
    Breakfast: eggs/protein/carb (toast, muffin, mini bagel), whole grain waffles with pb, breakfast bowls.

Snacks: fruit with pb, fruit/cottage cheese, nuts, protein bar, cheese/salami/crackers, protein bar.

Lunch: I usually eat leftovers from dinner or a sandwich/carrots and ranch/piece of fruit.

Dinner: protein/veggie/starch/carb (usually 1/2 baked potato, 1/2c rice, or 1/2c pasta)

Bedtime snack: nuts, 1/2 c ice cream, Snickers ice cream bar, or Haagen Dasz ice cream bars

Also, check out carb-conscious or veggie pastas. They taste the same, but less carbs.

I honestly don't eat much different than normal, I just use strict portion control.
  • How is everyone doing this weekend? How are your numbers? How are you coping with the diet? 

DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • being my first few days i feel pretty good about my success with my numbers, i was high twice (121 ugh! and 136)since Friday, so not horrible and im guessing that it was the white bread both times.  I went shopping yesterday and bought a whole bunch of stuff.  my frustration is that i haven't met with a nutritionist yet and feel kind of lost as far as flexibility.  like normally we get breakfast from Dunkins on sundays which is my one coffee for the week...where does that fit in? what about other not so good foods, when is the best time to incorporate those? i was given a guideline of a day but can i move things around? like change a snack from a fruit to a carb/protein???  also the "schedule" i was given is going to kill me during the week, by the time i get home and make dinner we are eating around 630-7 but then i have to wait 2 hours to test and then snack, i am normally passing out on the couch between 8 and 9.  

also....i was given my monitor at my educator appointment and she sent in a prescription for test strips and ketone strips but not for lancets, is that something you guys have a prescription for or do you go find them yourself??

• rmarble23 said:
    being my first few days i feel pretty good about my success with my numbers, i was high twice (121 ugh! and 136)since Friday, so not horrible and im guessing that it was the white bread both times.  I went shopping yesterday and bought a whole bunch of stuff.  my frustration is that i haven't met with a nutritionist yet and feel kind of lost as far as flexibility.  like normally we get breakfast from Dunkins on sundays which is my one coffee for the week...where does that fit in? what about other not so good foods, when is the best time to incorporate those? i was given a guideline of a day but can i move things around? like change a snack from a fruit to a carb/protein???  also the "schedule" i was given is going to kill me during the week, by the time i get home and make dinner we are eating around 630-7 but then i have to wait 2 hours to test and then snack, i am normally passing out on the couch between 8 and 9.  

also....i was given my monitor at my educator appointment and she sent in a prescription for test strips and ketone strips but not for lancets, is that something you guys have a prescription for or do you go find them yourself??
    Lancets should come as well.  I had different scripts for my monitor, my strips and my lancets.

Ask if you can check a post meal sugar at one hour, at least at night.  That way you're not just waiting around!  I always check at one hour with a cut off of 140.  Hope that helps!
  • Spent my Sunday roasting a ton of veggies and making an enormous crustless veggie quiche for this week's breakfasts.  Meal prep is very helpful, especially to combat the munchies.  Numbers have been OK of late.   I'm such a perfectionist so my fasting of a 92 yesterday pissed me off!  Hoping my MD rolls her eyes this week and tells me to get over it.  I mean, I know that pre diagnosis me would have eaten ALL THE CARBS at breakfast this morning but instead I had a massive veggie and meat omelet with maybe three decent bites of hash browns and not one bite of my son's pancakes so I'm calling WINNER on that one.
  • @rmarble23, the lancets should come from the pharmacy and be part of your prescription. Maybe they forgot your whole order? 

On Friday my doc told me I have to work on getting things under control by Wed when I see her again or she's putting me on insulin. I immediately called the hospital number to set up the nutrition counseling, but they can't see me until Thursday! I've been getting all of my info on the internet which I hate because there's a lot of conflicting info. I find myself repeating a lot of the same meals just because the numbers seem ok after them. 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • They upped my dosage again and my fasting numbers are finally dropping, only one at 95, but we're getting closer. 

@rmarble23, remember these are just guidelines, tailor it to fit your lifestyle. Could you test after 1 hour instead of 2 in the evening? I don't see any issue changing from a fruit to a carb/protein. I also don't see why if you're 'good' majority of the week, why you can't indulge in your coffee once a week. 

• @Stankonia2014, I'm glad those fasting numbers are finally dropping! 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • @Stankonia2014 Congrats on your fasting!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've started regularly testing and so far things look good. While I haven't been given my carbs to aim for, I believe it was 30 for breakfast, 30-34 for lunch and dinner and 15 for snacks, so that's what I've been using. My doctor wants me to go to MFM for the GD, so they're supposed to call to schedule an appointment sometime soon. 
  • Yay @Stankonia2014!  Can I ask how much you take?  Do you just take it at night?