June 2017 Moms
Options

GD Support Thread

Re: GD Support Thread

• Options
    lmudra said:
    Ok I found these froyo bars that have 5g of protein and 16g of carb.  The brand is Yasso.  Hopefully they're yummy!!!
    I love Yasso bars! They have a lot of good flavors. The only downside is the cost, so I try to stock up when they're on sale.
  • Options
    lmudra said:
    Ok I found these froyo bars that have 5g of protein and 16g of carb.  The brand is Yasso.  Hopefully they're yummy!!!
    I love Yasso bars! They have a lot of good flavors. The only downside is the cost, so I try to stock up when they're on sale.
    Yep- they're bogo at my grocery store right now!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ughhhhh. 152. I knew I shouldn't have eaten that morning :/ 3 hour, here I come...
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Also FML because this is my arm today after they mangled my 1hr blood draw...
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Had my 1 hr glucose yesterday, was 186. Needed to be less then 140. Sitting at my 3 hour now.... ugh this is frustrating. I don't know much about it, didn't have it with my first baby. 
  • Options
    @mirdamae03, ouch! I had a similar IV experience last week. I'm sorry. Good luck on the 3 hour. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    mrtmrt member
    @mirdamae03 ahhh! I'd be asking for a different person to do my blood draws from now on.
  • Options
    When do they decide you need insulin?  My fasting numbers and bfast numbers were high two days in a row.
  • Options
    @lmudra, my doc put me on fairly quickly after I started testing this time around, like maybe 1.5 weeks, because I haven't had a normal fasting number to date. 
  • Options
    I just looked up yesterday's 1-hour test results. Standard range is 70-140, and I got a 142. I'm sure I will have to do the 3-hour, especially since I'm measuring big. 
  • Options
    Don't get too bummed, I've known many women who fail the 1-hour and pass the 3-hour with no problem. GL!
  • Options
    @swanbrooner, you are so close to the cutoff. Fx 3 hour will be just fine. 

After talking to the doctor last night because I had 4 days of failing numbers, I am changing the diet today. I'm learning how unhealthy my emotional attachment to food is. 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    I haven't had mine yet, probably next week after my next midwife appointment. But at our last appointment she advised me to start drinking cranberry juice to help with my kidney function in order to help prepare for the test. Had anyone else heard of this before? 
  • Options
    I haven't had mine yet, probably next week after my next midwife appointment. But at our last appointment she advised me to start drinking cranberry juice to help with my kidney function in order to help prepare for the test. Had anyone else heard of this before? 
    That shocks me. I was pretty much told no juice.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    EmeraldNC said:
    No juice at all? Or just before the test? I should be clearer, she recommended drinking it for a few weeks prior to the test that improve kidney function, not something to have immediately before. 
  • Options
    EmeraldNC said:
    No juice at all? Or just before the test? I should be clearer, she recommended drinking it for a few weeks prior to the test that improve kidney function, not something to have immediately before. 
    I think I misunderstood. I'm not supposed to drink juice at all on my diet for GD. Too much sugar.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree, juice is a no-no once you've been diagnosed unless you want to have a wonky number.  I made the mistake of downing some prune juice last time in an attempt to cure up some belly pain and then realized I had just screwed my next read... if I'm  going to have a bad number, I'd much rather have it due to something I enjoyed consuming! :smile:
  • Options
    Do you ladies try to find sugar free substitutes to satisfy your sweet tooth?  Like candy, sugar free cake mix etc...
  • Options
    I did partake in a sugar free ice cream bar last pregnancy but am trying to stay away from artificial sweeteners this go around.  We shall see...
  • Options
    I don't do artificial sweeteners.
  • Options
    I'm not a huge sweets person, so I just avoid them all together.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Although, since I hardly ever eat sweets, when I crave it. I eat it.. a few M&Ms, or Skittles. I have never really liked sweets luckily, but will get a craving every now and then. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    GL, mirda!
  • Options
    Good luck @mirdamae03! What a long wait. 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I finished about an hour ago and since then I have eaten all the things. The final draw was so bad. The lady missed the vein twice in my left (the one the other 3 of the day were on) and then had to get another lady to come draw it on my other arm. I'm sure I'll have matching bruises. After all of that excitement, I better have passed this time lol.
  • Options
    Failed my 1 hour this morning so they said I had GD, and we are doing dietary changes. I have to do a fasting check at every appointment in the future now and if it gets more out of control then I will be prescribed metformin, although my doc said the diet should help. 

I didn't have it with my first pregnancy so following for suggestions and ideas. I need lunch ideas for sure. Will browse the responses
  • Options
    @helloaustin123 I'm surprised they didn't have you take the 3 hour after failing the 1 hour. Do you know how high your reading was?
  • Options
    @helloaustin123 I'm surprised they didn't have you take the 3 hour after failing the 1 hour. Do you know how high your reading was?
    I'm surprised too.  And even more surprised they wouldn't send you to a GD educator/dietitian/nutritionist.  Unless I am just misunderstanding.  It sounds like your OB is going to maintain/check it?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @EmeraldNC @mirdamae03 - I fasted overnight and went in this morning. Fasting read was 104, and after the 1 hour it was 175. My doctor said that I need to come back in two weeks to do a fasting check again, but I don't need to drink the drink again. He said that he thinks it can be maintained by diet, but if I go in in a couple weeks and it is still pretty high, then he would prescribe me metformin. He didn't mention anything about a GD educator, etc, but they gave me a sheet on foods to avoid and basic info on what to do. I called my friend afterwards who had GD with both of her last pregnancies and she said what you guys said about the 3 hour and nutritionists. Normally I'd second guess my doctors decision but he is one of the best in our city so I'm going to trust his decision and try my best to become more educated on the matter! 
  • Options
    So for the 3 hour test do they take blood from your arm each time or do they just do a finger prick? Also, do they check your fasting level first before you drink the drink? PLUS 3 more times?! I hate giving blood.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    alm52386 said:
    So for the 3 hour test do they take blood from your arm each time or do they just do a finger prick? Also, do they check your fasting level first before you drink the drink? PLUS 3 more times?! I hate giving blood.
    I think each office is different, mine used to just do finger pricks, but this time they did actually draw blood.
  • Options
    tjvantjvan member
    Um, dumb question... can you drink water before the 3 hour test?
  • Options
    kcrocetto27kcrocetto27 member
    edited March 2017
    Had my 1 hour test today and I've felt like crap all day! I am anxious a little dizzy and sick to my stomach. Is this normal? Does this mean anything? Ugh. I dunno if I can handle a 3 hour test if I fail.
  • Options
    @EmeraldNC @mirdamae03 - I fasted overnight and went in this morning. Fasting read was 104, and after the 1 hour it was 175. My doctor said that I need to come back in two weeks to do a fasting check again, but I don't need to drink the drink again. He said that he thinks it can be maintained by diet, but if I go in in a couple weeks and it is still pretty high, then he would prescribe me metformin. He didn't mention anything about a GD educator, etc, but they gave me a sheet on foods to avoid and basic info on what to do. I called my friend afterwards who had GD with both of her last pregnancies and she said what you guys said about the 3 hour and nutritionists. Normally I'd second guess my doctors decision but he is one of the best in our city so I'm going to trust his decision and try my best to become more educated on the matter! 
    It does seem like your fasting and one hour were fairly high, so I can see them skipping the three hour, but I cannot believe you weren't sent to an educator or told to check your sugars daily with a monitor.  Honestly, some meals I eat I think won't make me spike and then they do!  I certainly wouldn't have had any idea when I first had GD.  I would definitely call and ask why you weren't told to keep a log of your blood sugars.  And certainly before I'd let them start meds on me. To each their own so no judgement, but i definitely don't want to take meds if I can manage with diet.  Good luck!
  • Options
    @tjvan yes, you can drink water.

@alm52386 my lab drew a vial of blood each time. For the 3 hour it was once as a fasting baseline, 1 hr, 2 hr and 3 hr post glucose drink. I wish they'd have just done finger pricks!
  • Options
    @tjvan I wasn't allowed food or water for 12 hours before my 3 hour test. 
  • Options
    Last time I was told everyone does 3 hr now. They told me no food, no water after midnight the night before. I went in with no appt so dehydrated I was feeling sick only to find I needed an appt. The lady then informed me I could have water just not at the same time as the drink because it could dilute it. I went back a few days later with an appt. the differences confuse me too. 
    It is possible that they don't have dietician  in @helloaustin123 area. I was sent to a dietician and taught how to use the monitor, log info, and what to eat. But like a week later they ran out of funding in my area and didn't have the program anymore. Then my ob just checked for me, but I still had to monitor and log everyday.