June 2017 Moms

GD Support Thread

Re: GD Support Thread

• tjvantjvan member
    I'm at my 3-hr test now. Suuuuuucks.
  • What are some of you doing for lunch and snack ideas? I think I got a good base of understanding from my research yesterday and I feel pretty good with the changes I have made, but now I feel like I am not eating enough. For instance this morning I had 1 piece of whole grain toast with a tablespoon of butter, 2 scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage and a small protein shake (with protein powder, almond milk, almond butter, coconut oil, a few strawberries and half a banana).

Yesterday I ate smaller meals and I just felt starving.  
  • Loading the player...
  • No GD for me, but I think my A1C was higher than they'd like it to be. I may stick around here for food/diet ideas though since they'd like me to follow the GD diet.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • EmeraldNCEmeraldNC member
    edited March 2017
    Congrats @mirdamae03!

@helloaustin123 On my diet, I feel like I eat all the time.  Snacks:  Greek yogurt, peanut butter filled pretzels, apples dipped in peanut butter (afternoon only... I can't have fruit in the morning), Cheese crackers, smoothie, string cheese, avocado with balsamic vinegar

edit: added more snacks I thought of

BabyFruit Ticker
  • What are some of you doing for lunch and snack ideas? I think I got a good base of understanding from my research yesterday and I feel pretty good with the changes I have made, but now I feel like I am not eating enough. For instance this morning I had 1 piece of whole grain toast with a tablespoon of butter, 2 scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage and a small protein shake (with protein powder, almond milk, almond butter, coconut oil, a few strawberries and half a banana).

Yesterday I ate smaller meals and I just felt starving.  
    For a lunch example---I had a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, cottage cheese and a cup of strawberries.  I need 3 carb servings at lunch so two slices of bread and the strawberries do the trick.  
    Snacks- cheese and crackers, banana, apple with pbutter, chocolate covered graham cracker if I need a sweet fix.  I'm also eating non car snacks if I need to (cottage cheese, beef stick).  
     I need more protein at the educator told me to do a fiber one with protein bar.  Trying it tonight to see if it helps my morning numbers.
  • @helloaustin123, your breakfast sounds perfect. 

I usually take leftovers for lunch because it takes the guess work out of it, or I throw whatever type of protein we had for dinner and throw it in a salad. 

Snacks: pb/apple or celery, cheese and crackers, nuts, protein bar, cottage cheese, or Greek yogurt.
  • My 3 hour test is tomorrow. I have not been paying attention to what I'm eating today. Although the instructions did specifically say to not alter my diet. I'm NOT looking forward to it :(
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • And now I have to do the 3 hour test. I'm using a previous sick day because I felt so crappy after the one hour that there is no way I'll feel good enough to work after this one. Scheduled for Monday. Sigh. Fingers crossed that I pass.
  • Failed my 1 hour today. Will probably do the 3 hour Thurs or Fri to get it over with. 
    I'm not overly surprised considering I have a bit of a history, but I feel pretty guilty for all the days I've ate terribly over the last 6 months. Oh well can't take it back and now just hoping for the best. 
    Good luck to everyone taking on the 3 hour test!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So I just got back from my 1-hr test... I passed out about 45 minutes into the wait to get the blood work done... then on the way home I threw up most of the damn drink. 
    On the positive side... the drink wasn't horrible (going down), and my Dr. is pretty sure that I am going to pass the test, but the results should be in this afternoon or in the AM. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I'm at my 3 hour now. My fasting number was perfect she said! I guess my 1 hour draw was close to the cut off but not over! My 2 hour draw was good also. I have about 40 minutes left until my final draw. I'm SO hungry. 
  • danij0danij0 member
    edited March 2017
    @BellaO21 That sounds pretty terrible. I hope you were feeling better soon after that. Good luck with the results!
    @EmeraldNC Thank you! Your words made me feel better!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @alm52386, I think you're safe! Congrats!
  • So this morning I had a Jimmy Dean Delights breakfast sandwich which has 2 carb units and loads of protein.  One hour test was 182!  I'm peeved because I told the diabetes educator during my last pregnancy, any bread at breakfast was a no go, but she insisted I give it a try.  182!  Trust yourselves, ladies.  I know it's not that woman's fault, but it's so frustrating when I know my own body and how it's responded in the past.  I'm just soooo frustrated.
  • I second that @mezalune!  My GD educator insisted I not have fruit before noon or my numbers would be high, and I tried to tell her my body doesn't react to fruit like others.  She fussed at me every time I met with her, even though my numbers were within range after eating fruit.  Also, I was told I could NOT EAT AT ALL cereal of any kind or Chinese food... I eat both and my after eating numbers are fine.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @danijo, Thank you :) I'm feeling okay- just exhausted. But I'm not sure if that's due to my eventual morning or just normal baby stuff lol 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I failed my 1 hour by 3 points, but they were a few minutes late drawing so I assume I would have failed by more.

I hadn't planned on doing the 3 hour since I had GD with DD1, but with it being so close I can't help but be hopeful that I might not have it this time. 
  • mrtmrt member
    edited March 2017
    Wahhh. I just missed a call from a nurse at my OB asking me to call her back. I think this means I failed my 1 hour.  :(

ETA: yup. 145. I've never failed it before. And I've just been irrationally crying since I talked to her. I don't know why this is upsetting me so much.
  • So my doc upped my insulin to 18 units, but seemed puzzled that my postprandial numbers are great and only my fasting are high. He said it's usually that most numbers are wonky or most numbers are fine. We shall see how the dosage change goes.
  • This is my fourth pregnancy and the first time I have failed my 1hr.  I think my body is crapping out after 6 straight years of pregnancy and BFing.  Maybe if my babysitter ever calls me back I can schedule that dreadful 3hr test.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • @mrt and @jesselayne8, maybe you'll pass your 3 hour. Some people luck out and they're ok! 

@Stankonia2014, sorry about the insulin. What are you eating for your nighttime snack? Has changing that changed your numbers at all? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • tjvantjvan member
    I've been obsessively checking my email all day, waiting for my 3-hr results... good luck to everyone taking the long test!
  • @LAMCH1980, I usually eat an ice cream bar, that actually results in lower fasting numbers, but still over the 95 they want.
  • EmeraldNCEmeraldNC member
    edited March 2017
    @Stankonia2014 I'm at 52 units of insulin and my fasting number isn't budging. 115 this morning.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lmudralmudra member
    edited March 2017
    Maybe more protein at night?  They told me 10 grams with my carb.  
  • EmeraldNC said:
    @Stankonia2014 I'm at 52 units of insulin and my fasting number isn't budging. 115 this morning.
    Yikes! I'll quit bitching now. ;)

@lmudra, I can try it.

• lmudra said:
    Maybe more protein at night?  They told me 10 grams with my carb.  
    Have a little steak with that ice cream bar! Ice cream works better than most foods at bedtime for me too. Thank goodness because I need some ice cream in my life! 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • So I'm going to try the Yoplait Greek 100 w protein tonight. 15g protein, 10g carb.  
    I also got some FiberOne protein bars she recommended.  Fingers crossed my AM numbers look good!
  • So is everyone following a similar diet to mine?
    bfast- 2-3 carb choice (15g carbs per choice)
    snack 1-2
    lunch 3-4
    snack 1-2
    dinner 3-4
    snack 1-2 plus 10g protein

i can do a low car/no carb diet pretty well but this throwing me off bc I feel like at lunch and dinner I'm eating too many carbs.  
    *also wish there was a 7th category for shakes/blizzards/cake that was unlimited carbs lol
  • As @Stankonia2014 predicted, I passed! Thanks ladies for answering all of my questions and good luck to those of you who have to do the 3 hour. It sucked and I have felt like shit all day but I'm so glad it's over!
  • lmudra said:
    So is everyone following a similar diet to mine?
    bfast- 2-3 carb choice (15g carbs per choice)
    snack 1-2
    lunch 3-4
    snack 1-2
    dinner 3-4
    snack 1-2 plus 10g protein

i can do a low car/no carb diet pretty well but this throwing me off bc I feel like at lunch and dinner I'm eating too many carbs.  
    *also wish there was a 7th category for shakes/blizzards/cake that was unlimited carbs lol
    I was given a similar breakdown of carb distribution.  However I have learned that doing low carb (and next to no carbs in the morning) keeps numbers down.  They might not be thrilled with that, but my 182 this morning after listening to their guidelines makes me want to just forget everything she told me and go with how I did it successfully last pregnancy.  

PS Anyone else planning their first postpartum carb feast?  My hospital has amazing fruit smoothies and last time I had a standing order for two with every meal.  Siiiiigh.
  • Ooo question.  Any recommendations for relieving constipation with GD?  I got diagnosed with GD and mild anemia the same day so I've decreased my fruit juice intake (to zero) and increased my veggies with an iron supplement.  I feel like I'm never pooping again!  I plan to mention to MD during my next appointment.
  • @mezalune It's so frustrating!  This is my first pregnancy so I don't have a frame of reference but it seems like eating all those carbs during the day is counterproductive.  I'm going to ask Friday if I can reduce my day time carb intake 
  • I'm going at it with a little bit of a different approach this time and I'm trying to do the plate method. (1/2 plate non starchy veg, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb). I can add some cheese or yogurt or fruit at certain meals. Then I'm tracking what foods work and which ones don't. This visual approach of just limiting portions and trusting my instincts seems to be working better for me. I saw it on the ADA website. It seems simplistic, but it's working. 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • mrtmrt member
    edited March 2017
    @alm52386 did you change your diet in the days leading up to your 3 hour? They told me I need to fast for 6-8 hours, but it will likely be more since I'm testing at 8am.

I was really hungry for my one hour, I had eaten lunch, but more than 5 hours earlier. Could that have made a difference? I've taken the 1 hour 5 times now, and always passed by about 40 points.
  • mrtmrt member
    Also, for those of you with GD, do you have more frequent appointments?
  • @mezalune, my hospital has the best cheesecake, I cannot wait!  Also, magnesium supplements help with constipation, leg cramps, and headaches. 

@lmudra, yes, my carb intake is similar. 
    45-55 per meal
    15-30 per snack
    I honestly wouldn't reduce to no carbs, carbs give you energy and third tri is so exhausting already. I'd just try to stick with carbs you know won't spike your numbers. Go with what works for you. My dietician recommended a ton of stuff, I only follow her general recommendations, but I do what I know works for me and my body.

@mrt, I didn't have extra appointments with my other two because my GD was under control, however, it is not this time, so I have weekly appointments from this point on for NSTs and monitoring.
  • @mrt I have endocrinology appointments weekly now; did in my last pregnancy also.
    BabyFruit Ticker